• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Worldships?

Kyle

Insane Story Writer Foxy
Inactive Member
So I am rather curious about this, setting wise; given that World Ships 'are' typically quite huge, bigger than any combat ship we have in the current setting (that I am aware of)

Such ships really can't follow the DR system as it is currently written (otherwise, they could be easily taken out by - say - a Plumeria, or any other smaller combat vessel)

So, in writting up one of these ships; how would the stats align themselves? What would the DR ratings feasibly be?

Others who have been around longer will probably have more complete answers than I, however it is my understanding that at present SDR 5 weapons are considered planet killers. To this end I would imagine that any SDR 5 equipped starship would pose a lethal threat to a worldship. Especially since such a huge ship would necessarily pose a huge target.

Honestly though. I'd present a worldship as a plot device rather than a unit like a starship or a starbase. Damage, shielding, and capabilities would be handled entirely based on narrative needs rather than any form of mechanics. Necessarily such a thing would need to be hugely detailed to make it interesting to players, so I don't think it would be a trivial entity in the plot unless you plan on wiping out some poor civilization's interstellar colonies...

Another question comes to mind... Where are you getting the citizens to populate a worldship? SARP is uh... To my knowledge sort of short on civilians to inhabit such a space. So while acquiring the resources to build one is feasible in the setting it would be rather empty wouldn't it?

In my opinion I wouldn't think there would be need for stats on a world ship. If one is being used it's a plot device in the first place. And if it had weapons, the amount of power it could generate compared to another ship would just be absurd. It's be like the 'Objects' in the anime Heavy Object, things we currently have wouldn't really be able to touch them. I think the largest ship in the setting for combat is like 2km, the Amatsuotome (at least that's from what I've seen.) and it has 2 SRD5 weapons 56 SDR 4 and a bunch of ADR5 turrets. A world ship could easily power like four times that. It's not really about how much damage other ships could do to world ships, but rather how a world ship could easily generate enough power to wipe out a dozen battle ships in the blink of an eye, there just isn't much point in putting stats to it, cause if it fights it's either not going to be fair or you're not using it's full power anyway.

Of course that's all just my opinion.

It might be best just to treat them like planets for stats purposes, and if you want to blow one up, just go with what makes sense for the plot.

The idea of havig a world ship is... Impractical I find, however if you could pull something like the sheild world from Halo: Ghosts of Onyx then I could see it working. Bigger on the inside than on the outside, which is cool!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back