• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Would you use this app?

Hi guys,

This is Dak, aka Richard. I am working on building an app to render a photo into an artistically styled portrait. Basically you take a photo of a person, it uploads to our central server and then shoots back the finished image to you. I am asking here because I believe this community would actually have a use for my work and this project is important to me - I'd like to share it with you all.

Example:

ai.imgur.com_yTL92oL.png

Would any of you use this? If so, what for? Would you use it for forums? Avatars? Would you set it as your social media representative? What would you want to customize? Clothing? Colors? Would you want to make portraits of yourselves in your favorite manga artists style?

Right now we are developing this particular art style but in theory we could then expand to include many different styles. Anime, Marvel, Classical European etc.

Our Facebook page is HERE

Last edited:
I'd need to see it in action in a number of different scenarios before I put money down on this. I want to see that it'd be versatile.

I'd need to see it in action in a number of different scenarios before I put money down on this. I want to see that it'd be versatile.
What type of versatility would you be after? Functional in multiple different types of photos/scenarios? Able to handle many different people?

Is it a photo editing app or a camera filter app? The way you describe it makes it sound like the photo is being recreated to look like a painting/anime/comic book.

Is it a photo editing app or a camera filter app? The way you describe it makes it sound like the photo is being recreated to look like a painting/anime/comic book.

It is neither. It is actually recreating the person in the picture as a stylized portrait. Not the usual outline, B&W, outline, colorize, colorize chain of filters that every "portrait art" app uses right now.

How does it do that, though? How it functions would do a lot more to clarify how useful it would be.

The app identifies features and landmarks on the image and face. Once it has analyzed the image it essentially connects the relevant dots and then "draws" what it sees, modified by the art style of your choosing. There would be an ad-supported free version as well as a premium paid version. There would also be purchasable art packs in the future for art styles of well known artists who would require royalties. Relatively small - perhaps 99 cents.

If you want your very own AniME avatar we'll be doing a contest on our page on February 1st. Share/comment on the contest post to enter.

Edit: Right, the facebook page is Here

Last edited:
Our contest has been live for a bit now. If you want to enter just share the contest post on our facebook page HERE. Cheers Star Army :)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back