• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

[Yamatai] Cheilith's Big Delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soban

Convention Veteran
RP Date
Late YE 42ish
RP Location
Nataria
Cheilith lay on her bed in the training quarters. Her spine connection allowed her to view her mail and other than the routine training stuff, there was one message from Star Army Logistics. She opened it eagerly and read the contents, it told her that her delivery had arrived. That could mean only one thing, she had requested some salvage and it was finally here. She felt excitement bursting in her chest to see what it was. Then at exactly the same time, all of the Nekos in her bay started to get out of bed. Their instructor leads them through morning stretches and a run around the training base to warm them up.

After that, they were lead to the socialization training area. It was a large room with tables and chairs scattered around. The reason for all this wasn't the practical bits of being the most badass fighting machines in the galaxy, but for what the programming didn't teach. How to interact people who weren't badass fighting machines themselves. There were humans, kodians, phods, Separa'shan, and others who were all there to help them learn how to interact. Today, today was special as they would be venturing off of the training area with their partners for the day.

OOC: Anyone can join, I'm trying to flesh out a character that I have.

"Good morning!" a warm and soft voice greeted Cheilith. Standing there was none other than Ketsurui Hanako, the famous starship captain who had conquered Lor, devestated the Freespacers, won the First Mishhuvurthyar War, explored dozens of star systems, and had been promoted to Taisho this year. She had teal blue hair that became more pink-purple at the tips and big golden eyes. "My name is Hanako," she smiled, giving a polite little bow. "I am the new director of Star Army Personnel. As part of seeing and experiencing all aspects of personnel matters, I am doing a tour of this facility. So, I am here to help with your socialization!"

Cheilith smiled returning the bow with nervous energy, "Good morning, my name is Cheilith. I'm honored to be chosen for the demonstration." She stood there with a smile, uncertain about what to do for a long moment. "Today's going to be my first time out of our training area. Most people are going shopping at the commissary, a park, or see a show. I've got something else in mind though. One of my socialization partners mentioned this salvage giveaway a while back. My package got in today! I have no idea what's in it, but I'm excited to find out! I've been waiting like a week, which isn't a big deal for you, but for me, it's like a quarter of my whole life so far." Cheilith said her joy at getting the package spilling out. She paused, "I'm not going too fast now am I?" She said, trying to slow down a bit, she wanted to make her instructors look good.

"So basically this is a date," Hanako giggled. "That salvage is usually garbage and sometimes it is really dangerous! But I have seen people win starships so I suppose it is essentially gambling in a way. You are fine, and I am happy to be flexible about this thing. Remember it is my first socialization training too...at least of this variety. Do you have any particular items you were hoping to receive?"

Cheilith thought for a moment as they started walking over to the post office for mail call. "The idea is to expose us to normal real-life situations that training can't simulate effectively. Like buying groceries or visiting a park with strangers, or going to a comedy club. Our partners, such as yourself, are here to provide a friendly face to guide us and help keep things from going completely sideways. At least that's what I'm told. A starship would be cool, but I've got no idea where I'd put it. I saw a picture in the brochure of a Barrel of Yamataian Wine and a box of gemstones. Those might be pretty awesome to get, especially if they are all different types I could give them to my friends for like codenames. 'I gave you the jade one, so you are jade' sort of thing. There was also a full set of Lorath warrior plate armor in the brochure. That could be fun too. Like find a suit of old Yamatai armor too and reenact seducing a Lorath Princess or something. Have you ever done one of these salvage giveaways?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Wes
"Yes, I have requested salvage many times," Hanako nodded, frowning a little at the mention of seducing a Lorath princess. "One time I got a shipping container full of gold! I got hundreds of outfits and 414 barrels of molasses once, which I was hoping to make rum with but I never got around to it. Also, the Lorath fell into a civil after their princess took me to bed, so I cannot recommend it. Billions of people died over something that was just two women having fun. That's the kind of stupidity that happens when people value ideas in their head over actual people who exist. Virginity is a concept. Royalty is a concept. Chastity is a concept. If you want to be a good person, keep in the people in mind. I myself have done some pretty horrible things to people for Yamatai and I have to live with it now. But it was always to protect the people of Yamatai so I can live with it. Do you want to see what is in your shipment now?"

Cheilith nodded more somberly as she listened to Hanako talk. They moved into the Post Officer. This branch of the Post Office on Nataria was huge, with dozens of stations for people to wait in line. However, today wasn't a heavy mail day so the two of them didn't have to wait in line for long. Hanako got some looks, but the Taisho and the Yonto Hei didn't get any undue attention. The orange uniformed Logistics officer smiled at Cheilith as she approached the booth. "How may I help you today?" They asked.

"I'm Cheilith Unknifto! I have a delivery?" She asked, presenting her credentials.

"Certainly, it's a bit large so we put it in the special delivery box Twenty-Five-Twenty-Seven." They said, giving Cheilith the permissions to open the delivery box.

"Thank you!" Cheilith enthused and started off towards the delivery boxes. After a couple of turns, they were there standing in front of a big metal door.
"This is the moment I've been waiting for!" She said as she opened it. The lights came on to reveal a Type 30 Truck with a Shelter on the back.

"I Got a Truck!?" Cheilith exclaimed, both excited and slightly confused by her package.

• Haha
Hanako took a deep breath and held it for a moment looking at the truck that was clearly a Star Army of Yamatai one complete with unit markings.

"Ah, do you know how to drive?" she asked. "Do you want to keep it or return it to the Star Army?"

The Taisho went into the container and walked around the massive truck and went to the door of the shelter, climbing up to reach the handle, a little worried about what she might find inside of it--like dead bodies or classified communication codes-- and then opening the door. Thankfully it was just a few pieces of office equipment like a printer, some cots, a portable heater, and a huge, stinky pile of camouflage netting. "It smells like field," Hanako remarked.

"I haven't learned yet, but I'm sure we can figure it out. I'm going to download the driving skills for this. I have no idea where I'm going to park it, I'm sure I'll find one somewhere." She replied naively, running her hand along the side of the truck. Her hands briefly touched the markings of the 94th Century of the 501st Legion. They reached the back and opened the door to reveal the office equipment. The strange smell of a room too long cooped up from the outside environment.

Cheilith clambered up into the truck. "I'll have to clean it, I guess, are there any places that sell cleaning supplies near here or like a self-service car wash?" She asked as she sorted through the office equipment quickly. Then as her eyes moved to the cots, there was a flash of an idea. "Huh, cots. I'll probably have to get some new ones. It can be like my secret hide-out. I'll probably want to toss the netting though."

Cheilith hopped down from the back of the truck and started around to the driver's side of the truck. Opening the door, she found on the driver's seat a tub of lard, sunglasses, two cases with something in them, and a book. Cheilith immediately put on the sunglasses, then turned to Hanako and grinned "So how do I look?"

"You look cool," Hanako smiled. "Do you want to take it for a spin?" she asked, still a little uneasy thinking about how this truck was salvaged from a starship that was destroyed in combat. She dusted off the passenger side seat and then got in. "What are you going to do with all that lard?" she giggled.

Cheilith grinned and climbed in and started up the truck. She had downloaded the skill to drive the truck but hadn't integrated it yet. The Truck lurched out of the storage area roughly and amazingly Cheilith didn't anything despite a couple of close calls. They pulled out onto a service road and drove slowly. "I have no idea, what's lard?"

"Lard is animal fat," Hanako explained, raising her voice to compete with the loudness of the trick motor. "Nepleslians like to cook grits and vegetables with it. I think you can make hash browns with it. It can be from actual animals or synthesized with biotechnology. What are they feeding you at the training center?"

"Food?" Cheilith said, not really certain how to answer the question. "They serve us in the cafeteria, so whatever they are serving we get. There are a couple of cooking classes, but their focus on cooking with a set of ingredients into a specific meal for training standardization, so they use what is the most common in stores. I'm pretty sure I couldn't cook if I didn't have a recipe in front of me and we've never used lard." Cheilith admitted.

They were outside the base now, in an area that had mixed military and civilian stores. There was one shop that stood out among the rest. 'Little Ullo's car painting and detailing.' The sign was as big as the regulations would allow with a hot rod style car with flames going down the side on it. Out front were parked several cars with designs on them. "This looks interesting," Cheilith said, pulling into the parking lot.

Hanako looked out the window and back to Chelith. "You really plan on keeping this truck, dont you?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

Cheilith rounded the front of the truck and put her hand on the cooling hood. "Hanako, There isn't anything special about this truck. Not where it was made, not who used it, not where it was listed as expended, not even being salvaged and given away makes it any different than thousands of trucks out there. Sure I could give it back to the army, but I don't know why I'd do that. It's my truck and the Army has billions of trucks just like it. So I'm going to make it a special truck. I don't know how, but I am. And Everyone who sees it will know exactly which of its billions of siblings they're looking at." Cheilith said, not talking just about trucks.

"Fair enough," Hanako nodded. She hopped out of the truck and into the parking lot with a crunch as the cracked asphalt's loose gravel displaced under her shoes. A nice breeze caught her hair and she brushed some of her bands out of her eyes. "There are many ways to measure the value of something and uniqueness is one of the popular ones," she said. "Usefulness is another. What do you plan to use the truck for?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back