• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Yamatai] Shibui Powered Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ametheliana

Head in the Stars
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Submission Type: Powered Suit
Template Used: Power Armor Template
Submission WIP URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:stararmy:equipment:shibui_powered_suit
Submission Destination URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:equipment:shibui_powered_suit

Faction: Yamatai
FM Approved Yet? No @Wes
Faction requires art? No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Contains New art? Yes
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:
I took the suggestions of the community where appropriate and applied them to this buckerino.

I'd let Wes say something before a mod looks at it tbh.

Reactions: IQ
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
There's danger in making a favored piece of gear too good when it ends up eclipsing something else while sharing none of the disadvantages. It's a good idea to be careful with that. Of course, some equipment and vehicles in this setting do forego the standard, like the Plumeria breaking the speed standard in what many consider a overt show of favoritism. If leaning in that direction is the case, my involvement is irrelevant.

On the offchance that my intervention could be helpful, I'll go on. I'm not going to go "I'm right, you're wrong" on Ame's account since she is a NTSE moderator and I respect the standards she's set elsewhere. All I can do is provide an extra perspective.

I don't personally agree with Ametheliana's choice of medium personnel-tier protection. I think it should be tier 1. I believe there's value in the first place in not calling it 'unarmored' for something that's so slim and streamlined.

But Ame's suggestion of Tier 2 is world's better than Tier 3. Please, don't go Tier 3. Tier 3 is like, thick hardsuits like the one Commander Shepard wears in Mass Effect.

I mean...

This is Riot armor. Believe it or not, it's tier 1:
images

This is a full suit of ballistic armor. It's Tier 2:
170px-USMC_Turret_Gunner_mannequin.JPG
That stuff is actually really thick:
300px-thumbnail.jpg

Tier 3 is more like bombsuits or hardsuits, like this one:
images

Usually, it's the material used that makes what looks like a very light-layer of protection outperform the common performance of its tier. For instance, unless you use anti-matter, plasma or aether, the Mindy IV can soak tons of punishment thanks to the zesuaium armor. For something skintight, a material like yarvex could pay off since its impervious to punctures (though you'll still feel the force behind the blow and the blunt trauma can still wound you).

In any case, your nice materials are likely the best medium to convey what the suit is best at resisting than the tier. In this case, I think that's the stonethread? (stonethread essentially being +2 clothing of fire resistance >_>; ). But that's typically not fully expressed in the tier; that's why there's a section for describing your armor usually in articles.

Last edited:
An OOC art credit for both the submitter, Ametheliana, and Crystal should be added.

Fred - I think you missed that it also has a photonics array, but I changed it to 2.

raz - done

Aha. For some reason I was under the impression a flak jacket was Tier 3. Adjusting the scale it makes much more sense that the Shibui is a Tier 1 or 2.

(Fraction tiers! Tier 1.5!)

Wasn't this supposed to be just a GM tool? Has it been nerfed since its debut since I recall some worry about having a non power armor have nearly all the abilities of a power armor.

Soon we might have other factions making skinsuit power armor too, nobody likes power creep. Is this really needed?

I nerfed the bits that needed nerfing, yeah.

I don’t think it should be too much of an issue, really. A Neko with a strong personnel gun and a ballistics best can just emulate the performance of a Shibui to a fair degree. All you lack is a shielding system.

I’m okay with factions having more mobility gear (USA and their running jetpacks) mainly because battlefield mobility for RP is very important, and very fun.

Maybe so it stays balanced the shield should be on the low-powered end, like Tier 2 or 3. Like Eth stated we should be cautious of what we’re doing and if it ends up being OP I’d rather it be confined to a certain bracket, being able to be put down with some ease.

Talked to @META_mahn about the tier being 2, added even more art, and changed availability.

I would like to reiterate: "These suits are unavailable for any crew or starship at this time. Not for sale at any Star Army Surplus Store or equivalent. Only distributed to the YSS Kaiyō II outside of alpha testing sites."

Found in the Availability section. If you would like them for your usage, please wait until they are ready to be put them into the hands of others.

Just asking for a quick ETA on that, since it does have strong usage potential for what I have planned and is a settings element, not a character or plot.

So you're going to forego listening to what I have to say and what the approved canon says?

This isn't a character Ame, once it's in the setting it's in the setting, there is no "this is mine". Besides, I'm asking for an ETA, unless you're thinking that it would never ever be released. That would go against SARA's approved canon since they don't keep financing things until the field stage and then suddenly halt development..? They do it so that the tech can become standard? Unless you're like, overriding the entire Research Administration of course.

1. Ametheliana is in control of the suit's development, as it was created to be a GM plot device that would tell the story of said development.

2. SA Recon Command wouldn't even be aware that it exists, as in-development technology isn't usually public knowledge and is protected by secrecy classifications.

3. Why attempt to force the issue when you could just not?

/thread

1 - It's not a plot device though, it's an approved setting element, which isn't tied to any one plot by literal definition of it being approved. Otherwise why didn't she just keep it as a plot device? She isn't control of its development, SARA and the passage of in-universe time is. I don't believe she specified an ongoing project lead or designer, only someone who handed over their plans.

2 - Star Army Command would know it exists, I mentioned Recon spoke to them about tech, which they would have. Especially if this came from the top.

3 - There's enough snowflakey "this is mine" stuff in setting, apologies if I'm scapegoating. If people put that aside they'd see that when you approve things they're there to be used. That and if RP is built using elements and some elements somehow have these infinite "stasis" things going on, counter to how time works it's just actively preventing actual RP.

If you want me to let this go into "this is miiiiine" stasis then I'd like to hear it from @Wes to be honest, since you don't actually have cause to stop me from asking for an ETA. It's just an ETA, from SARA. Since they're financing it, hopefully not for 2+ years since - well - no research would ever go on that long for something already successfully field tested.

Guys. Just ICly deny the request and say that it's not ready for public use yet. Who knows for however many reasons. It's not like battles past where people just walked in to salvage up tech, this is a formal request in SACN that you can deny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back