• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP [Yamatai] Star Army Recruiting Center (YE 42)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Get a load of this guy," Guerrero chuckled.

Hanako looked less than impressed. "Hold up your hand and repeat after me..."

I, (state your name), have truthfully, honorably, and voluntarily enlisted myself as a soldier in the Star Army of Yamatai for the full length of my commitment. I vow to protect the peoples of Yamatai, to follow the orders of the Empress and the officers appointed over me, to live by the Star Army Creed, to obey Star Army rules and regulations, and to destroy the enemies of Yamatai.

Kyle would stand up from his chair and raise his hand. He took a deep breath before repeating after her,

"I, Kyle Dee, have truthfully, honorably, and voluntarily enlisted myself as a soldier in the Star Army of Yamatai for the length of my commitment. I vow to protect the peoples of Yamatai, to follow the orders of the Empress and the officers appointed over me, to live by the Star Army Creed, to obey Star Army rules and regulations, and to destroy the enemies of Yamatai."

Hanako got up and went over and offered Kyle a handshake, as did Guerrero. "Welcome to the Star Army," she smiled. "The next step is going to be going to the medical sections where they will take some brain scans and run a lot of tests on your body. You have the option there of keeping your present form or you are also able to pick a new one such as a Minkan or even a Nekovalkyrja type body, which offer some advantages like being able to float. It is not not a big deal...I have switched bodies probably a half-dozen times now. If you do that there are a lot of tests that can be skipped. But it is your choice. After the medical section passes you, we will assign you to a training facility. For a human basic training takes sixty-seven days or about nine and a half weeks and, assuming you make it through basic, engineering school is four and a half months. If keep up with all your classes that means you can be out in the fleet on a starship in less than six months," she explained. "As of now your rank is Yonto-Hei, fourth-class private, but on graduation from basic you will be automatically promoted to Santo Hei."

Kyle accepted Hanako's hand, "It's an honour to be a part of it, and, I think I'll keep my body the way it is. Something about maintaining humanity is something that keeps me motivated." He chuckled before accepting Guerero's hand as well. "Thank you sir."

Reactions: Wes
After the new recruit was on his way, Hanako peaked out into the lobby and waiting area, which was really dated looking. The boredom and sometimes nervousness on people's faces as they waited to be interviewed was plain to see. Hanako had mixed feelings about that. On the one had, someone who needed to be entertained constantly or was unable to be patient would not be an ideal soldier. On the other hand, she was grateful they were here about to put their lives on the line for their country and she felt like doing something nice to make their day better. Lunch time was approaching so she was craving food, and that gave her an idea. She could treat everyone to lunch. After quick search, Hanako found the contact information for the local Kikyo Pie Company and placed an order for 100 boxes of pizza to be delivered to the old Uesureyan Fortress so she could give them away the applicants. When the pizzas arrived, Hanako came out into the lobby, sending a wave of surprise through the room. Together with a crew of helpers, she started handing out plates of pizza to everyone present.

It wouldn't take long for the door to open again, the head and chest of the being holding it was not visible, though its distinctly feminine and well scarred hand was. Inside strode four young, precentennial Senti, a handful of larger centennials, and one or two bicentennial aged Senti stooping very low to avoid hitting their heads on the tiling. The giant was last, ensuring her family was all safely inside, she crawled through the door on her hands and knees, sitting crosslegged in the lobby and hunched over, grumbling something about smaller races and their low ceilings.

One of the precents opened a bag and started handing out files, while another started gathering a batch of tickets, handing one to each family member, including the embittered giantess.

"Remind me why we're doing this, Atteni," One of the bicentennials looked up to the Lady of their ship. "After all. Smaller races."

"To learn their ways and improve lives aboard the Flotilla. The chance to enforce the autonomy of sapients is also an alluring offer, is it not?"

"It is, and yet. We have precentennials to handle such delicate matters. Centennials if wisdom is involved."

"Then return to Soren, Saliten. I wish to spend my last years making a better place for my children and theirs."

The bicentennial nodded, quieting. "Then I will stay. See who may not go. And what kind of crew we will have to keep our home flying."

Last edited:
Once inside the waiting area, the newcomers found a crowded room full of people eating pizza. The smell of molten cheese, tomato sauce, fresh bread crust, garlic, onions, and pepperoni was heavy and overpowered the regular aroma of dust and stank that normally filled the room. Species from all over the galaxy were here in the room including those from Yamatai and those from other places, all ready to sign up for a tour in the mighty Star Army.

One of the precentennials, an energetic and bright eyed young lady of thirty or forty grabbed her bicentennial father's hand, dragging him towards one of the delightful smelling cheesy flatbreads that these strange creatures ate, chattering away in her native tongue.

Sali patted his daughter's head and handed her a small pouch of salts if she wanted a slice, giving a small laugh. "Remember to ask nicely, and speak slowly, Aliset. These people may never have seen our kind before."

The smaller lady straightened herself, slipping the pouch into the shining steel hip plates of her clothes, the burial steel emblazoned with enamel decorations to denote her ship and her history. Bouncing the rustong hair to bring it back into place, she grinned widely. "Of course. Represent the people well, that all may prosper, isn't that what grandma told me?"

"In a sense. Go. Have fun." He gave another smile, waving his daughter off to explore.

"Now serving B-491," a voice called on the intercom.

When the first of the metallic people were called back into an interview room they were greeted by Joto Hei Stella Glass, a clerk who had served with Hanako on the YSS Eucharis. "I'm going to ask you a series of questions to determine your eligibility to serve in the Star Army of Yamatai. You are required to answer them all and answer them all truthfully," Glass directed the potential recruit. She looked down at a data pad and then rattled off a few basic starter question. "First, what is your name, date of birth, and place of residence? Are you a citizen of Yamatai? What languages do you speak? What species are you?"

"My name is Aliset Soren. I was born on 3, 22, YE 08. My place of residence is Freighter Soren. I am a citizen of the Shurista Flotilla, but wish to become a citizen of Yamatai. I speak Trade, some Yamataigo, and Senti Common. Lastly, I am Senti." The metallic woman stood respectfully, waiting to be offered a seat as her rusted eyes scanned over the desk, and the officer interviewing her.

Shurista Flotilla generally operates near Akemi and Abwher. Usually drifts through the nebula not far away, and is friendly to Yamataian activities in the area, though generally avoids contact. Mining and trade flotilla, no known piracy.

"Okay, there are a few hurdles to jump. First, are not on the standard list of allowed species that the Star Army recruits. However, random aliens are accepted with a waiver if they meet the criteria: Humanoid overall body shape and size; Hands capable of proficiently using standard Star Army weapons and equipment; Human-equivalent intelligence or higher. You seem to pass those. Second one has to be a Yamataian citizen to join the Star Army," Stella explained. "But you are in luck, we have a Department of Immigration office here in the Fortress for just this circumstance. Have you already downloaded the study guides and citizenship packets? If so we can take the citizenship test immediately after this interview before you get to medical. I also have to ask about your loyalty to Yamatai. Why are you willing to fight for...perhaps even die for this country?"

"Well." Aliset gave a small huff. "That rules out half the Senti out there."

She had to think about the question for a few moments, piecing together the important information into something palatable. "I want to see this sector better for everyone in it. I want to help. Moreover, I grew up on Yamatai telebroadcasts. I want to be a part of it. A bunch of slavers want to take that from you. I don't want that happening."

"I understand," Stella nodded. She continued down her checklist, giving a barrage of questions one after the next:
  • Are you currently employed by any foreign government or military?
  • Have you been employed by one in the past?
  • Also do you have a criminal record in any nation or are under investigation or accusation of any crimes?
  • Have you been a member of any religious or political group or any gang in the last ten years?
  • Have you ever spoken to a Mishhuvurthyar, Kuvexian, or their known allies?
  • Have you ever been diagnosed with or had reason to believe you had a physical, mental, or other disability mental illness, behavioral issue, or substance addiction?
  • Do you have over 1,000,000 KS in net worth including real estate and stocks?
  • Do you have any outstanding debts over 10,000 KS?
  • How long do you plan to stay in the Star Army and what do you plan to do afterwards?

Aliset calmly slipped into an easy, near parade rest stance to think before rattling off her answers.

"I am not currently employed or under contract except to Freighter Soren. I was employed as postal freighter pilot during my youth on the Flotilla under the Shurista High Council, attaining an Officer Third Grade rank before retiring five years ago. I have mo criminal record that I am aware of, my religeous groups are native to my family and Flotilla, I have never spoken to a Mishhuvrthyar or a Kuvexian or known ally to my knowledge. Mental illness and drug addiction are not something I have ever been prone to. My family owes no known debts, and I do not have that kind of wealth. With all that said, ma'am. I will stay in the Star Army as long as I am needed. If that is the next two hundred years, so be it. When I am released, I will return to Soren, and continue flying cargo."

She looked back, furrowing her brows. "Is there anything you would have me clarify?"

Last edited:
"So you have some experience piloting spacecraft?" Stella asked. "And you were an officer in a civilian fleet? Do you have any college or formal education degrees? Would you be interested in joining as a warrant officer or officer pilot?"

"I would not call it just some." Aliset gave a soft grin. "I have been flying or learning to fly since before my Adulthood test. All Senti public services have a Civil Police duty. So, I am as close to Military as any Senti can come. I am familiar with the maintenence and repair of my ship, can fit it in a space with less than ten centimeters clearance, and can plot FTL courses, and have been my family's pilot and astronavigator for fourteen years, officially speaking. I was the pilot at Akima. That said, I would very much enjoy flying, though I doubt the Star Army would recognize any formal education I may have, with it being from a non-allied Flotilla."

She thought for a moment, trying to keep from smiling. It was ironic, to her, how her species had not yet been that well known. Surely, she could not have been the first recruit.

Last edited:
Stella Glass offered Aliset a data pad with a Star Army Enlistment Contract on it. "If you are ready, you may sign on the dotted lines on this contract and we'll administer the Star Army Oath. After that, the next steps are examinations by Star Army Medical and getting your first orders to a training center. A standard term of enlistment is three years--945 days--and includes your initial training. If you have any doubts reservations you should stop now and think it over more, because once you sign and recite the oath you will be a member of the Star Army of Yamatai. Do you understand?"

"I understand." Ali took the tablet, reading over the contract before she signed her full name with the stylus. "I will do my best, ma'am."

Screenshot_20200311-174928_Firefox.jpg
Aliset iš krovinių vežėjas Soren.
Figured it would be fun to use Lithuanian as a stand-in for Senti Common, with Sindarin script.

Stella flagged down Chujo Hanako, who was in the hall, and Hanako came in to administer the oath.

"May I present the Star Army's first member from the Senti species and Yamatai's first Senti citizen, Aliset Soren," Stella grinned.

Hanako bowed. "Thank you for joining us. I am pleased to meet you! My name is Hanako. I am the Deputy Director of Star Army personnel and captain of the YSS Eucharis. Hold up your hand and repeat after me..."

I, (state your name), have truthfully, honorably, and voluntarily enlisted myself as a soldier in the Star Army of Yamatai for the full length of my commitment. I vow to protect the peoples of Yamatai, to follow the orders of the Empress and the officers appointed over me, to live by the Star Army Creed, to obey Star Army rules and regulations, and to destroy the enemies of Yamatai.

A courteous bow was given to Hanako as Aliset quickly translated the oath in her head, and delivered it twice, once in Yamataigo, and again in Senti.

"I, Aliset iš krovinių vežėjas Soren, have truthfully, honorably, and voluntarily enlisted myself as a soldier in the Star Army of Yamatai for the full length of my commitment. I vow to protect the peoples of Yamatai, to follow the orders of the Empress and the officers appointed over me, to live by the Star Army Creed, to obey Star Army rules and regulations, and to destroy the enemies of Yamatai."

After she finished, she let her brows furrow and she addressed the two of them. "After my stunt at Akina, I would have figured more Senti would have become citizens, or joined the Star Army. This is especially given the primary enemies of Yamatai and the atrocities they commit. I apologize if my being the first is... Unusual. But sitting outside are fourteen more eager Senti recruits, ranging from twenty three to three hundred and ten years old."

Is it bad I want to see Hanako's reaction to Attina?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wes
Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back