• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: YSS Artemis [YSS Artemis O1M0] Let the Rivalry Begin

Glein

RP Date
7月 21日 YE41
RP Location
YSS Artemis
Ghost Star Fortress [NK-X1-02] Docking Bay One
Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - VR Chamber

The environment was a simulated mixed collection of various jungles from across the Star Empire, the humidity high and oppressive, even as the temperature guages on the Infantry's Daisy's showed the thermostats sitting around 46°C (115°F). And set in the center of the room was a large military grade field communications kit. Loaded with systems to help manage data and chatter flow of a combat force, it was about 122cm(4ft) on each side, on all three major axis.

Now the Infantry had an hour to prepare any defenses they wanted around the equipment. The whole thing was in what felt like a temporary camp that had been set up for a night's rest. In fact, the simulated sunlight was beginning to fade. If the rate was accurate, it'd be dark by the time the hour was up. It would give the Rangers some cover, but how much was dependant on the Ranger's skill, and the focus of the Infantry.

"I'm telling ya man, Ironside's is a fucking curse. Her getting assigned to this mission isn't some show of confidence for her, it's a saying they don't want her fucking over other units. Mark my words, we're all gonna ST at least once under her command." One of the Infantry could be heard saying while carrying his now 'loaded' PAAR-40. There wasn't actually a magazine in the weapon, but the simulation had created one and several spare magazines for it when the trooper had stepped in.

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - VR Chamber

"Knock it off." said Klaus to the nervous Infantry. "Right now, that doesn't matter. Just follow orders, keep your head in a swivel and if we're lucky the Rangers will be buying drinks next shore leave."

He could understand the nervousness. He had heard the stories about Ironsides. But rumours or not, he was a soldier. And the woman of his dreams was leading them now, they had to give her their best! Seeing her in PA had made Klaus's heart (and hormones) soar. She was incredible. Standing at attention, he faced her. "What's the plan Heisho?" Klaus hated not being able to call her Setsuya, or the formal tone he had to take. Such was the life of a soldier.

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - VR Chamber

Maradia stood in her Daisy looking at the equipment with her helmet on, snugly fitting her head's radio implant inside. Her Daisy had been modified to fit her claw and her wirey tail, and the shield had been moved to the right arm so she still had her left hand for holding weaponry. She was carrying a PAAR-40 simulated to be loaded and extra ammo. She didn't like the thought that she'd die on this ship sooner or later, she wasn't even sure what body she'd be respawned in, given her current one that was probably half-robot and half-Separa. She heard Klaus and turned her head towards Setsuya, remaining quiet.

"That it is a enough Mr. Kurogane, I will handle distress among my men as is my duty to. Gentlemen, and ladies, you may fear your COs, but remember the role of a leader is never easy. It is as much more the fault of the brass off in some boardroom then us lower ranking scrubs. The CO most likely has been handed some very hard choices, choices she knew were not going to make her popular, but I have faith that she did her damndest with the situation handed to her. So don't judge if you don't bother to seek the truth first. Even if there is truth to the rumors, I will not forsake those under me, I myself have felt fear in the face of combat as only a Santo Hei new to war. I doubt it's what my mother saw me doing when she imagined her little girl growing up, but it's the sad reality of the empire's created soldier." Setsuya said firmly with authority, making it clear she would treat equal, fair, and with no bias.

Checking her rifle one last time as she stood decked out in her Daisy, a new armor to be using compared to her old Mindy. It was larger, more armor, and a bit bulkier, but it did admittedly make her feel safer. "I want everyone to form a perimeter, overlapping coverage, until ordered otherwise. Utilize your shields as best as possible, use the terrain to augment their cover. In fact....I want some of the smaller trees cut down, and stacked as supplemental fortification using your MPWs to cut them down. Once done and the perimeter resumed, I want all tactical drones in the air, preferably close to the treeline for security measures and surveillance. I want them forming a net as an early detection system understood? You all have your orders, get to it, we don't have long."

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - VR Chamber

Menelik was certainly not the biggest fan of being completely sure that he was going to die, horribly, out in the depths of space; far away from any facilities that could resurrect him or take advantage of his cerebral chip. It was truly a disheartening experience.

Probably had nothing to do with how, in comparison to the DAISY II's used by his new compatriots, the Nepleslian exchange soldier, a corporal if anyone cared, stood in the bulkier armorsuit he had been assigned for this long duration mission. The solid Nerimium and Leptonium armor surrounding him, and the unit's mobility, made him feel just a bit better.

"Ah'd rather not tawk about dyin' out here- unlike thuh rest awf y'all, ah ownlee git one life. So ah'm purty syhaw that ah done won't be dying, no mader what situation we git into: maraahns aint allowed ta cash in without permission everhoo" He sent over the armorsuit's speakers, his mind already considering the options as he reached for the unit's left side shield and withdrew the melee weapon there- leaving the heating element off for now as he moved to start stacking lumber.

Personally, Menelik thought that this was a stupid idea. They had the mobility and nominal firepower advantage. Better to send out patrols in a proactive defense while keeping a reserve force in camp. Nevertheless, he was going to follow orders and do his best to salvage the situation, no matter what happened. The additional missile launcher and chaingun slung over his suit's soldiers would certainly help with that.

Jericho mounted in his Zytone stood behind the group due to the heavy power armor's particularly large frame. Having been assigned as a squad leader, he turned to his assigned troops, the difference in uniform then usual, a rather odd switch up to the Fenrir clone. But he would carry his issued orders out none the less, and so began to issue them in turn to those looking to him for direction. "You heard the lady, i hope you're familiar with field engineer work. Makeshift fortification on the double, start cutting down trees and erecting barricades. The ground is soft, so watch your footing," he ordered before heading towards the nearest trees himself, the Zytone deploying it's modified shank gauntlet blades.

The meter long blades were sprung out with a *shink* before beginning to buzz with a slight hum. In a cross slice, the blades both buried deep into the trunk with the armor's strength, the vibrations letting them slowly sawing into the wood further at a steady pace for a few seconds as Jericho stopped at the center. Freeing the blades and retracting them, he gave the now weak trunk a push with an armored leg before it toppled. Nodding at the handy work, he began trudging to the next.

As he continued with the work, he worked on a simple arrangement to this drone net the SNCO commanded, and sent the suggested plans to her. Setsuya would look his way only briefly from her own work with a nod before going back to it.

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - VR Chamber

Bjorn looked at the others, he stayed silent and was messing with circuits in his arms, as well as checking joint in his body. He was making sure that he was fully operational and that the chassis wouldn't just break down in the middle of the fight causing him to fail the team. As he routed wires and mumbled to himself the fingers in the arm he messed with twitched a little and it sounded like he swore a few times.

He looked up at the Mindy and twisted his wrist back into place "Well then, it seems like I may have a little fun in this at some point." He climbs in quickly as he went to help with the barricades under the orders of Jericho as he would cause their team to lose this at this. Inside the Mindy his movements were fluid as if he was the Mindy, the chassis inside a chassis was weird for Bjorn but he made no fuss as he started to cut down trees.

Maradia nodded and got to work, steadily slashing through a tree with her MPW. The pink-haired snake had her thick tail hidden in armor layed out behind her, keeping it away from the blade. Jokingly, in response to Jericho's warning to watch their footing, she remarked "But I don't have any feet... how can I watch my footing...?" Though she was likely heavier than most of the crew, her tail proved to be advantageous as the bottom had far more surface area than any set of feet and eliminated the possibility of tripping on the soft ground. Once the tree she was cutting started to tip, she pulled the plasma blade away and swiftly whipped the tree with her long tail, causing it to come crashing down. Her already quite impressive cybernetically enhanced strength was further augmented by her power armor, allowing her to drag the trees she was cutting down into a neat pile for usage later.

It was tedious work, but for the love of the creator none of the infantry had to do this unarmored. Even so, cutting and stacking wood made Menelik get to thinking, even as his turned up his suit's omnieyes to scan the forest no matter which direction he was facing.

"Ey, Sir. You know, I was thinking about all of this. Ya know, ah was thinkin' about all awf this. Hooaah not extey-nd our fuhrelaahn out about a hun'red, hun'red an'fifty meters out? We gawt enough puh-lasma ta set thuh forest awn fuhre." Came the marine's voice over the squad net- thick and twangy as always, but mostly understandable. And about them having enough fire to burn out a fireline? He definitely wasn't kidding about that, and it wasn't like the Rangers didn't already know their position.

"That way, we gawt mo-wr culearahns wheyn thay come at us, Sir."

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - VR Chamber

Klaus felt a bit ashamed and hurt at Setsuya's words. He had only been trying to help. But she was the boss now. Not his lover. So Klaus soldiered up and started working on the problem. He was helping build the fortifications when he stumbled upon an idea. Rangers always looked for weaknesses to exploit. But what if they gave them a weakness for them...
The Infatryman found himself smiling and was about to open his mouth when Menelik spoke.

He did have a point, a firing line could keep them at bay. Or draw them in!

Keying his comms, he said, "Sir, what if we leave a hole in our defenses? Rangers will try to find weaknesses on our perimeter, but if make our own weakness, we'll know where they'll strike." Klaus pressed on. "And Menelik's idea could make it even better. If we put out a fireline they wouldn't have the luxury of being cautious. They'd have to either fall back or risk going through the hole."

"We either delay them long enough or take them out. Win-Win." It would be tricky. But they might just pull it off.

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - VR Chamber

As the sun set, the muck and mud of the simulated environment dragging on the Infantry, slowing things down a touch but not enough to prevent the beginning of defensive fighting positions around the "camp" and it's vital equipment. This included a quick fire to build for the defenders a firing line, while also creating a vulnerability intended to lure the Rangers in. As they finished this prep, the hour was up, and night had officially fallen. So while the cleared area around the camp was now easier to observe, the residual heat would do much to hamper thermal optics.

Deck 6 - Lower Armory

Elenor closed the top of her Star Army Rifle, Type 41b, before pulling the charging handle back to get the nice clear metal on metal sound of the weapon being cleared. The weapon was one she'd helped test and experiment with prior to her assignment on the Hana, same with the Power Armor Automatic Rifle, Type 40. Now she was getting to use them live, and in this particular case, with the much smaller and more manageable YIRS-T for it. She'd opted to have the stock replaced with a skeletal folding stock, and having the top sight removed for a lower rail that had a basic iron sight mounted onto it, and finally, the handguard and barrel was shorter, giving it a much more compact weapon. Technically speaking, it was, since the configuration was an acknowledge variant of the weapon.

Looking up, her face obscured by the new Type 41 helmet, she focused her gaze on Lucas. Yes, she was still in love with him. But right now, he was the senior-most person in the room as they got ready to raid the Infantry. "Fireteam Echo is green." She reported, being the senior enlisted Ranger on her fireteam in the third Ranger squad on the ship, nicknamed "Shikra". She wasn't sure what that was, beyond it apparently being a bird of some kind. All that remained was for Lucas to give the go and they'd enter the VR chamber and see what the Infantry had set up to stop them with.

YSS Artemis
Deck 6 - Lower Armory

Eric was with the assembled rangers getting prepared for the upcoming action. While the rangers were ordered on standby and get ready for the operation Eric was already looking to get any edge. One of those first things he was taught being a child was in a fight the first rule was that there was no rules. You don't pull punchs and you fight to end them since they are going to do the same. At first he thought this was terrible but as he gotten older he found wisdom in it.

After suiting up in his older type helmet and protective gear with the type 41b Star Army rifle. After making sure he was outfitted he then started typing away on his personal computer pad currently attached to his right arm. The objective was simple find any information or angle they could use on the mission.

There was two fold ways the hacker could gain this information but being able to do so while not being detected was another. The first was simple and old school, with a quirk benefit of being part of the same military and equipment. He started to first scan common Star Army communication frequencies in order to try find there comms net. If he could achieve this he would have direct access to there commucations and possibly there game plan.

The Second avenue was abit trickier but not impossible. With the operation being conducted in the vr room it was possible to access ship onboard camera's and other information from the vr room. The down side was both the ships Ai system as well as other computer technicians on the ship would actively prevent him from doing so . As he worked the final idea clicked and though it was technically cheating no one would of thought of this.

Going along with this train of thought he focused on getting access to the vr room's controls. The idea being that he could change the ongoing program on the fly and create better advantages for the rangers to overcome the firepower and number issues that was bound to happen. Lastly it would highlight something much more profound in which that rangers in any situation would do anything to get that edge in combat.

As he sat there working on his computer pad he was hyper focused on that and that alone. As the rest of the unit got ready he chuckled at his thoughts. Speaking out loud but still in quiet amusement "I wonder what would happen if all there weapons jammed at once?".

YSS Artemis
Deck 6 - Lower Armory

Masaharu would not blame anyone for thinking he was asleep. While everyone was talking about how to handle the power armor infantry, he got memories of the fly phrase of the School of Advanced Infantry Training. Now, like then, he had to perform a difficult task without getting killed or caught. But unlike then, he was both under-gunned and vastly more vulnerable.

He could guess fairly well what the true purpose of this exercise is, but he was just an Itto Hei. His job was to carry out the mission and die in a useful way. So he just sat there with his loaded rifle just waiting, going over battle drills and training over again in his mind.

YSS Artemis
Deck 6 - Lower Armory

'I wonder if we're supposed to be the heroes or the villains in this exchange?' Freyja wondered idly. She'd checked her gear plenty of times, reviewed the provided details, and all that was left at this point was to see what came next.

She ran a number of scenarios through her head of what they might find on the other side. The lack of information gave her plenty to work with. She drew from all of her favorite mangas, imaging that they would drop into some freakish hellscape - or perhaps an urban setting? Their opponents would be vile enemies, or perhaps they were the bad guys - though really, they were just misunderstood. Their true goals were to help the heroes prepare for an even more terrible foe!

Or something like that.

She snapped out of it when she heard the Elenor speak. There was a time and place for the fantastic and the battlefield wasn't it. Usually. Her mentality shifted a step; all of the training she'd gone through taking hold. The anticipation and pent up energy caused her to crack a grin as she waited for the order to move.

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - Lower Armory

As Eric worked on trying to get into the systems for the simulation, a voice piped up over the ship intercom in the room. "Hei Nabeel, your actions are in counter to the nature and the spirit of the exercise. If you continue to attempt to do so, you will be marked as KIA for the exercise and be of no use to your team for this simulation." The voice was of Callisto, the ship's AI unit. Eric would also find his access to the ship's systems was revoked now, and that his tablet had been hard locked out of accessing any systems. "You must act as you would in the field against Kuvexian forces. You do not have access to their comm lines, and you will be in a real environment which can not be altered without actual physical effort needed to create that alteration. Weapon functionality will be simulated based on real-world testing performed by Rikugun and Ranger forces with the apt environmental conditions." Callisto continued.

Elenor couldn't help but shake her head. At this point, it was time to get going. They just needed Lucas to give the go.

Deck 6 - VR Chamber

"The Rangers sure seem to be taking their sweet time, ain't they?" One of the Rikugun asked over the team net, his eyes sweeping over his assigned patch of cleared muck. Of course, he would on occasion, like now, glance back towards the target they had to defend. Everything seemed to be going well for the Rikugun team. No contact, no bombs, no attempts to slip out the target... Maybe they were too scared to come? That'd be a hell of a thing to learn.

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - Lower Armory

Eric let out a loud sigh as he heard the ai speak. He was also beginning to question why they would want some one for information and electronic warfare on the rangers if he couldn't try to apply some of his skills to even a training exercise. As he got up he locked his computer and grabbed his rifle speaking to the AI " And yet part of my job is to find there comms or alter electronics to give us a edge, I feel like i'm being denied my skills so that I can fight like a standard infantryman". Loading a fresh mag into his rifle before reconfirming his helmet was clipped and locked properly he stood at the ready. Giving a salute "Hei Nabeel ready to start this farce and die for the glory of the other units pride".

YSS Artemis
Deck 6 - Lower Armory

Bjorn had be doing calculations in his head since they came into the VR room, his brain worked to keep up with the chatter of his team mates and the calculations he was planning for the mission to come. He didn't tell the other but this room made him uncomfortable, the VR system always puts his sensors on edge because of what was happening, at least he was in armour so he was kinda hidden from the other.

Bjorn finally spoke up as he listened to the ideas "Team, since this body isn't needed, I am happy to be used as bait for the rangers, even if it is just to give you a little bit of extra surprise factor." The robot talked a little slower than normal "We do the idea with making a choke point, I can be there to take out what I can, then you all can attack from a flanked position to deal a bigger blow and catch them unaware."

Bjorn was okay with being bait, his body shouldn't really feel pain, but he wasn't really sure how it would work here. He was told to learn, what better way to learn than self sacrifice to help his team win. "If you don't want me to do that, just tell me what you want your helpful solider bot to do." He tried to make a joke, he didn't know how it would be received but he stood there weapons in hand ready for his orders.

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - VR Chamber

The hissing accent of a Separa'Shan came across the comms from Joto Hei Sanssinia. "Knock it off, you loud mouthed pile of mewling kittens, we have work to do. Time is on our side, which likely means a more frontal assault then the one they would like. Your AIES is good, our network is tracking anything larger then a pebble, but their no replacement for your own eyes. Don't forget to switch to use your night vision, we need to see them before they think we've seen them."

The AIES identified that Sanssinia was in the trees, wrapped around a trunk with a good view over the area that they had cleared. Her shoulder guns and her rifle would allow her to give a heavy weight of fire when unleashed. The active camoflauge was effective against the background of branches, growing up as an ambush predator had taught her much about hiding in trees and waiting.

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - Lower Armory

Masaharu hearing Callisto over the room's intercom and Eric's reaction, Masaharu simply got up from where he was sitting. "I have a feeling you were going beyond simply finding the frequency and timing of lines of communications for decryption attempts." He simply said shaking his head and slapping a magazine into his rifle. The subdued triple sakuras can be seen under his subdued rank patch.

Being a fellow Communications and EW specialist, he could somewhat relate to him. But he knew there was more to being a fancy IT wizard, they were fancy IT wizards with guns. "Everyone is first and foremost a ranger and a rifle. We supplement them, nothing more. I have a feeling this exercise is more for the infantry than us."

He then looked at Bjorn and waited to see what their leader was going to say the strategy is. Considering they were vastly outgunned and lacking anything to deal with their defenses, he figured a three-prong harassment attack to maneuver them out of position. This would allow for a 4th unit to sneak/rush for the equipment and destroy it if they are stealthy enough.

But he was just an Itto Hei remembering what he did at SAIC in an MCAS. So he didn't say anything.

Nataria
YSS Artemis

Deck 6 - VR Chamber

Things would've gone well for Sacre, had Menelik not cut in, his twangy drawl coming in clean and clear from where the marine had planted himself, walking an inner patrol route a few feet away from the objective- not to protect it, of course, but to serve as a ready reserve.

"Well, as raahyt as Joto Hei Sanssinia is, ah personally thihnk we'd be underachievin' ifin' we didn't rout thuh Rangers." It was a simple gesture, but the meaning behind it was absolutely clear: Menelik was absolutely a perfectionist when it came to certain things, and war was one of them.

"Ifin' this was a real combat scenario, ya'd wanna mayuk syhaw that thuh enemy force couldn't regroup and hit us again." Even if no-one could see his face, they'd know that the chubby cheeked Hayadi was ice serious.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back