• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Art Zairyo Character Art Commissions - $25

This is the new commissions thread for long-time SARP artist Zairyo. His artwork looks like this:

fetch.php
fetch.php

Here's the info needed to sign up:
Code:
Character Name:
Character wiki page URL:
Character wiki page up-to-date? (Y/N):
Uniform/Clothing Reference URL:
Notes: (Pose, expression, props, etc)

Who is paying, you or Star Army?

If Star Army is paying, add and answer the following:

Have you donated to Star Army? (Y/N):
Does your character have existing art? (Y/N):
How long has this character been actively played?: (X Years/X Months)
Plot Character Is In:
Plot's Most Recent Plot Audit Grade:
Note: excessive detail may increase the price.

I don't know Star Army like the back of my hand, I'm very familiar with it yes but I don't know enough to the point of grasping which rank is which, what uniform goes with what or any of that. If the character has previous art (especially if the previous art isn't mine) I take that art as the main reference. When I post the rough sketch I expect all the corrections to be posted with links when necessary if after I post the rough I get approval instead of corrections, I move on to the other phase. Getting corrections after approval means I would have to start over. That delays me a lot, so please keep that in mind, I wish I was good enough to do it like a machine but I'm not, I do my best on every request and doing it twice is problematic 'cause it doesn't look the same even when traced.

Illustrating and designing are not the same thing. I'm charging [$25] for illustrations, meaning a design or clear concept should exist. This character is the one exception to the rule (just 'cause I want to keep moving) Any future request to design will have to either pay for the design or change it to something that exists.

Power Armor is extra. It MIGHT not be too bad to draw, but it is a pain to paint and in either case not [$25]. Too complex for that amount. Besides you're better off hiring someone that draws mech stuff if you really want that one to look as good as it should.

I'm thinking of a gift. I hope you remember her. :3

Character Name: Ketsurui Sora
Character wiki page URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=characters:yamatai:ketsurui_sora
Character wiki page up-to-date: Yes
Uniform/Clothing Reference URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:equipment:saint_suit
Payment: Myself
Notes:

There's a chibi on the character's page with a pair of swords, and I'm thinking of doing a variant of that pose. She'd be in the bodysuit I linked, with a pair of katanas in her hands, and both sheaths on her left side. The blades themselves are translucent like glass yet non-reflective for stealth purposes, though what I'd like different is to have her left hand very clearly sheathing the sword it's holding. I would suggest only one third of the left handed blade be inserted, with the hand sliding it down having a more delicate, almost casual and ladylike grip using just the fingers, and not the palm. Have the index finger gently placed on the pommel of the sword, pushing it down perhaps. I know hands are a pain and am sorry to ask for that detail. The right handed sword though, I'd like to have visually crossing across her legs, with its transparent glass appearance put on display.

The sheaths I mentioned earlier are part of a customized belt and holster similar to what you had drawn for her daughter, Wakako, though the buckle is best off being black rather than gold. Regarding her facial expression though, I'd like to have it be very similar to her daughter's, with her eyes looking to her right, and with her smile being more gentle than mischievous, so no teeth showing I think. Both mother and daughter are the same height and look very similar. However, Sora has long hair, and at this point in the story, there's also a golden stripe in her hair that would normally fall down her back, so maybe we'd see hints of that here and there depending on positioning. I'm under the impression she has a slightly narrower face than her daughter, is a hint thinner around the waist and has a larger bust, which is how I also suspect her husband differentiates the two. :3

Let me know if I missed anything @Kim !

Last edited:
I won't contradict, but for accuracy's sake, Sora is wearing Kotori's former daisho pair: a pair of transparent swords, the katana “Kotowari” and the wakizashi “Meiryou”. Both were in belted with matching black-laquered sheaths when Kotori gave them to her.

So, the best visual reference I can provide would be this:
fetch.php

It's entirely possible that in four-five years that Sora would have replaced the sheaths, the crossguards, the hilts and the belt. but if you're going from scratch, the above picture may be an useful reference for you.

Last edited:
I just went for a regular colored gun/swordbelt for my Sora chibi but she has not changed out anything else about the daisho.

How's this and how important are the swords?

Sorry the rough is rougher than usual but these past few days we've been having power issues and yesterday 1 million people lost power again. Currently it is fluctuating like crazy for me so I'm posting this and turning everything off just in case.

Saint Sora rough.jpg

You're doing amazing work given the situation, though I suspect the best I can do is just hope things get better on your end. Given how many of us have commissioned from you and appreciate your work though, I don't think you should be afraid to ask if there's anything we could do - I recall some of us wanted to send you funds after all.

Anyways, though they'd be a nice extra detail, I think we can do without the swords. So far, it's looking great, but I think only three things stand out for me. First, if possible, could you have her be looking to her right? This way, the image can be placed side by side with her daughter's and they'd complement each other. I'm hoping that just flipping the image would do the trick, but if not, that's ok. Second, can she have a warm, fond smile? Again, I'm hoping to make this sort of a family thing and maybe even grab a follow up with the father. Third, I think her bust should be just a bit bigger, now that I look back at the previous version of her.

I'm doing fine, really. Just that power is still unstable after nearly 5 months.

First, if possible, could you have her be looking to her right? This way, the image can be placed side by side with her daughter's and they'd complement each other. I'm hoping that just flipping the image would do the trick, but if not, that's ok. Second, can she have a warm, fond smile? Again, I'm hoping to make this sort of a family thing and maybe even grab a follow up with the father. Third, I think her bust should be just a bit bigger, now that I look back at the previous version of her.

That's actually a nice idea, I'll work on that as soon as I can.

Ignore the swords, it's just so that I don't forget but I'm not 100% certain I'll do them. If they look good then fine, if I'm not happy with them then they won't be in it.

Saint Sora rough2.jpg

Had to do what the UPS manual said not to do just to type this update. I'm waiting for the power company to check the lines in our neighborhood 'cause power keeps fluctuating. So while I'm not back to square one (I can use internet reliably just not expose my PC to possible failure) it feels like I am. Well, the whole island is, but IDK maybe Wonder Woman can help us out... ugh
I did some retouches to the sketch but nothing worth sharing, it's mostly for me and the line art part.

Sorry again.

I'm just glad to hear from you.

Same here Zai. It's great you're keeping us updated, and it's honestly ok if progress isn't at the very best pace. I'm perfectly alright with waiting for you.

I'm going to keep this short 'cause I don't want to start ranting. I got my power problem fixed. I had to pay to get it fixed... *deep breaths*
Anyway, I should return some time next week (have some things to take care of early in the week) But yea, the main issue has been settled, no more typing from a phone)

Hey Zairyo, I hate to give you bad news, but Cadetnewb and Kim both decided to leave Star Army so they might not respond to this thread.

If you have their private emails I suggest contacting them through that or via a note on DeviantArt.

Don't worry, there's still a few things I'm keeping an eye on.

Kim says it's looking great Zairyo, and I agree. Keep up the good work. :3

RPG-D RPGfix
Back