• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Senate: Defeated Proposal #123: Regional Suzerainty Act

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamafune rubs the bridge of her nose, mimicking how organics express their frustrations. She just looked blankly at Yusuke and then to the rest of the Senate. "I think some members of need to re-read the rules of procedure on the meaning of the word second. At least that would be what I would say if this body even had them. It was not my intention to display the sheer dysfunctional nature of this body but that seems to be exactly what I have done. Until there is a meaningful means for ALL representatives to have their concerns addressed with proposed amendments in a straight yes and no vote, not simply with how many people happened to second a motion of amendment. I thought all of us were better then this." she said before pausing for effect.

"I hereby formally withdraw Proposal #123 as is my right. I thank those senators that supported the spirit of the proposal." Tamafune said before she gathered her items and made her way out of the chamber with her assistants.

"I back the senior Tami Senator's amendment," Sachiko said as she studiously typed at the volumetric screen before her. Unlike Yusuke, she did not have an entire office backing her and supplying her with information and additions remotely. Creating the addition to the bill at her desk was the most enlivened and ecstatic she had looked in the last hour of proceedings. Even if the bill was a menace to her way of life, she knew now she had to stand up for her people if nobody else could.

"Sending my provision to title seven..."

Code:
The Gated Elven Suzerainty comprised of much of the Xiulurian Prefecture on [[planet:Yamatai]]

"Junior Senator?! Just when we were getting somewhere, too." Sachiko had whispered her disbelief as she followed Tamafune's exit with her eyes, then she swept her face to look at the other seated senators. Her disbelief was evident on her nonplussed expression as she looked between them all. She breathed through her teeth as her lower lip fell and she was quiet for a long moment as she stood in shock.

"I would not support the withdrawal of this proposal. In stead, let us take a recess. Or we can discuss outside the Senatorial halls and limiting procedure how best we may reconstruct this bill for unanimous approval. I have a few days left, yet. I will have something for you all tomorrow. Assuming the kind Senator is not completely fed up with our pedantics and false pleasantries for her time." The Shuristan senator smiled towards the various senators that had been displeased or disillusioned in the arguing. "Perhaps we can discuss your systems' needs over lunch and we can feel more at ease talking. I know the telepresence projection of me is a more comfortable size for you all. Unless I awaken tomorrow a new man, I am afraid we will have to deal with Governor Nascen taking my seat and Shurista being under a Custodian. I think we all prefer me."

Reactions: raz
Karael - who’d been on the verge of standing up to sincerely apologize to the Xiulurian Senator for the honest mistake she’d made in her haste to combine all of the different proposals - instead had to resist the urge to roll her eyes as the representative of Tami tossed aside the offered olive branch and spit on it. What a two-faced snake-headed bastard. Him and Barachiel would get along just fin-oh…

And resist the urge to let out a thoroughly dejected sigh as the poor representative of Fujiko got fed up with the (, in Karael’s opinion) antics of the aforementioned senator from Tami and withdrew the bill. Well, that’s unfortunate. I can’t blame him, though - I’d probably do the same, were I subject to a schoolyard bully using such extremely childish and petty tactics. And to think I actually thought that the Yamatai Senate was different from its Elysian counterpart, that it could actually function instead of falling into partisanship and non-compromise. Silly me… The Elysian heard the Shurista Senator’s call for a recess, but didn’t answer; she knew from experience back home that the opposition would simply repeat the same tactics over and over and over again until they got what they wanted.

"This proposal was all but passed," the Senator from Tami said from his seat, leaning forward with his elbows on his desk. "The great star systems of this Empire were simply articulating how to best finalize its inevitability — even those representatives among us who had voted against the standing version. It would be a great disservice to the Empress and the Yamataian people to abandon it now."

Yusuke stood up and looked toward the Imperial Steward, a position he'd himself conceived and created to avoid displays of devious politicking the likes of which were in full view from the Senate's usual suspects today. The birdbrained squawking by members who offered little was growing tiresome, but he'd been Tami's voice to the Empire longer than any other of his esteemed colleagues held their seats. The Senate would get through it because none of this was anything new, though there would always be a pang of frustration when dealing with uppity representatives who refused to realize they were part of the Yamatai Star Empire and not sent here to oppose it.

"Should the Senator from Shurista not re-introduce Proposal #123 as its sponsor," Yusuke continued. He would be specific as to what was requested of the Steward, as Senator Maeda knew their duties perhaps better than anyone else. "Tami moves that Proposal #123 be re-instated by the Imperial Premier and worked on until it is in an acceptable state. Further, I ask that no further amendments be submitted until the backlog is decided.

"The process of amendment should begin with a poll on the inclusion of Xiuluria into Title VII," he explained. "Following that question, my own system's proposal to amend Title II ought to be decided. There is then the issue of what is considered a major system, first discussed by the Senators from Shurista and Yamatai, though without replacement text deciding on that issue is still in flux. Then Fujiko proposed a change that was seconded, which may have been implicitly withdrawn alongside their exit. A couple of more ideas were put to this body, but no others were seconded until Elysia's overhaul."

The Senator from Tami took a sip of water from a glass sitting on his desk to freshen his mouth and pause before speaking again.

"As many of these amendments are in conflict, we will then be required to reconcile them in turn should those modifying the same text pass. Unless some system's Senator among this esteemed body wishes to submit an overhaul absent any objectionable mistakes or omissions."

Now Karael did role her eyes at just how absolutely petty she believed the Senator from Tami was being. “ I object to Tami’s motion of reinstatement,” she said as she stood up and gestured around the Senate chambers - which were partially empty because many Senators had left when Fujiko’s representative had withdrawn their bill - “ because many of our fellow Senators have left given that the bill was withdrawn by its author - and, seeing as how Tami specifically demanded that every system consent to this proposal — even those systems whose Senate office is currently vacant, it strikes me as… strange that he would want to continue voting, especially when important systems such as Fujiko are not present to cast their votes.” With that, Karael sat down and shook her head in complete and utter disbelief. I stand corrected - he’s EXACTLY like Barachiel, down to the faux politeness and the complete lack of respect for other’s wishes. Seriously, how self-centered, out-of-touch, and morally corrupt do you have to be to torpedo a proposal, then resurrect it once its author leaves the room? Absolutely unbelievable.

Last edited:
"Normally, I would second you. But for now. The bill has been withdrawn. Therefore, assuming a clear schedule and no reversed decisions by tomorrow, I will reintroduce and sponsor the bill in the morning. I would appreciate the assistance in translation and clarification by the esteemed senators of Xirulia, Essia, and Elysia, as my own Yamataigo is far more average than my speeches let on. Please all email me the proposed changes and I will see what I can do. Tami, your candor and clarity are appreciated in confirming my belief on the status of the bill." The silver skinned man gave a respectful nod. "Let us all engage with clear heads and sharp minds in the morning. I think a wise Yamataian once said that it is best to be always quick, but never hurry. I move to recess for the evening."

Karael exhaled in relief upon hearing the words of Shurista’s representative. “Elysia seconds Shurista’s motion to recess for the evening.

"Tami objects to the motion to recess until the Imperial Premier has made their own decision on standing business," Yusuke said. "'Be always quick, but never hurry.'"

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back