• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Should we retire the Type 36 Communicator?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
In the last equipment review, 5 IC-years ago in YE 41, the Type 36 Communicator got reviewed and was deemed "meh" and we decided to make a new one. But no new one ever emerged. Since the newer uniforms (Type 35A and Type 42) have built in mini communicators the Star Army stopped issuing the Type 36 as standard issue. However, some uniforms like the low-tech coveralls are deliberately just clothes not technological wonders and simply don't have a communicator.
  • Should the Star Army Type 36 communicator be renewed until YE 51?
  • If not, what are we going to replace it with? (item designers welcome)
  • Do we need handheld communicators? Badge style ones? Wrist ones? Fully embrace telepathy?
Thanks for being part of this equipment review and helping us figure out what the Star Army should look like and carry in the future.

Solution
My first thought is that the type 36 should be replaced with a smartphone level functionality communicator for mobile data applications, integrating the communicator or "dispatch" functionality with a smaller, but no less capable mini tablet. Other than that, badge or wrist, and even subcutaneous implant communicators would be useful for specific mission and environmental concerns.

Fully embracing telepathy should probably be avoided as the default, as several Star Army species are not by default capable of telepathic communications.

But yes, I feel the type 36 has been obsoleted by several pieces of technology available to the Star Army to the point where other factions have more advanced and capable communications equipment, and is...
My first thought is that the type 36 should be replaced with a smartphone level functionality communicator for mobile data applications, integrating the communicator or "dispatch" functionality with a smaller, but no less capable mini tablet. Other than that, badge or wrist, and even subcutaneous implant communicators would be useful for specific mission and environmental concerns.

Fully embracing telepathy should probably be avoided as the default, as several Star Army species are not by default capable of telepathic communications.

But yes, I feel the type 36 has been obsoleted by several pieces of technology available to the Star Army to the point where other factions have more advanced and capable communications equipment, and is currently an active detriment to the unfortunate few who have to use it, comparative to using and reprogramming personal cellular devices.

Solution
I think a new communicator should be produced for those utilizing uniform types that don't contain one built-in. Alternatively, we modify those uniforms to have one.

I think a communicator is a fancy word for smartphone at this point but the type 36 really isn't that. It feels like something that everyone should have one of or perhaps even issued (like a company phone type thing) for use when they aren't in a uniform that has one built in or are off duty or something. Star Army probably has apple level control stuff installed so it doesn't get subverted by enemies or something.

Already thought it was gone because it's clearly outdated technology, so have been having my characters customize their Type 36s with more current hardware and communication protocols found in the Type 42.

It'd be nice to still have a handheld communicator. Even though I know my Nekos can play Frogger and send text messages in their brain, I still like having the narrative option of something handheld.

It looks like the consensus is "yes, we should retire it, but we should make a new communicator."

I'll see what I can come up with. If anyone wants to help, I'd love that.

Or just facelift it with incremental performance improvements and the occasional actual new feature like RL smartphones

RPG-D RPGfix
Back