• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Suggestion The Big Bads

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
FM of Tsenlan
🌸 FM of Yamatai
Submissions Reviewer
🎖️ Game Master
I suggest implementing a category system where people can make bad guys designed for different levels of play.

A System for the Big Bad​

So the setting will obviously always have different enemies on different levels, so this is kind of like a category system for handling bad guys in roleplay.

Level 1 - Personal Bad Guy - For use in a solo story.
Level 2 - Plot Bad Guys - An enemy that exists for use in a single plot.
Level 3 - Faction Bad Guys - An enemy of a single faction.
Level 4 - Global Bad Guys - An enemy that is the enemy of multiple factions and is part of a global war plot.

By creating multiple bad guys, groups, and factions that affect different levels of the setting, we can keep a pool of bad guys for different levels that GMs and FMs can call on as needed. Workgroups could be set up to work on the metamaterial/wiki articles for bad guy groups so there is always a spread of choices.

How do personal big bads work?
Also, are these more for enduring things or villains that'll pop up to be knocked down and forgotten.
I think both have their place, but I'm definitely partial to persistent less than existential threats.

For those who like writing solo roleplay. Just stories they post on their own about their characters.

ah though as much. Are those fixed lines because like a bad guy from a solo RP could become a plot bad guy if that solo writer runs a game or something. I know I've got elements from a solo thing I was writing (need to finish) that I might bring over when I eventually run a plot

So what does implementing this look like? What do we need to do? Make an enemies struct and have a central enemy guide that aggregates a table of them?

So what does implementing this look like? What do we need to do? Make an enemies struct and have a central enemy guide that aggregates a table of them?

I think a struct is a great idea. When someone makes an enemy faction page - they just select from a drop-down list -

Level 1 - Personal Bad Guy - For use in a solo story.
Level 2 - Plot Bad Guys - An enemy that exists for use in a single plot.
Level 3 - Faction Bad Guys - An enemy of a single faction.
Level 4 - Global Bad Guys - An enemy that is the enemy of multiple factions and is part of a global war plot.

This struct table could also link to their Enemy Group pages, right, so that it'd be easy to hop right from the guide of "Here's who you can fight" to "Here's who that specific group is"

We could also assign it to something like

• common_enemy:<insert_name_of_enemy>

I'm thinking a threats: namespace that's full of bad stuff characters can run into, from viruses to legions of hostile mecha. Then filling it with monsters and horrors.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back