• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP Thia and Vec

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyralt

RP Date
RP Location
Counselor's Office, YSS Resurgence of Yamatai
Thia lay on the upper bunk of her office, wearing the skirt version of her uniform as she held a datapad aloft over her face, scrolling through what little of Vec's personnel files she had access to. "What would be a comfortable place to meet?" She asked herself aloud as she continued to read. "Born in an agricultural colony. But might that have traumatic memories? There's just not enough to say for sure."

With a sigh, Thia rolled over and hopped down from her bunk before walking over and depositing her datapad onto her desk. From a vacuum-insulated container, she poured some of Rossa's excellent coffee she'd taken from the mess into a couple of mugs and then moved to stand in the center of the room. With a click of her jaw, she enabled the room's volumetrics, cycling through several of her memories before landing on the one place Vec seemed most at-ease. Looking around, Thia felt satisfied at her recreation of one corner of the Resurgence's medbay, before setting the mugs down on a table and sitting in one of the chairs as she awaited Vec's arrival.

Vec was potentially the biggest hypocrite in the Army. The day Thia had arrived on the Resurgence, he ordered that every soldier schedule an appointment with her. He had even prioritized his medical staff. Vec, however, the Chief Medical Officer himself, had delayed. Even now, the day of his appointment, he dithered. He performed another unnecessary inventory, checked medical files that hadn't changed since he'd looked at them earlier in the same day, and scrubbed down spotless surfaces. Two prime directives warred within the aging soldier. The first and more logical directive was one of the first lessons any first responder learns: Don't become another casualty. It was the reason he'd prioritized sending medical staff to counseling. They wouldn't be any good to anybody if they were too busy battling their own demons. The second directive was a near pathological inability to put his needs in front of others. Sure it sounded selfish, but deep down, the doctor knew it was actually quite selfish. With a sigh, Vec decided he was far too old to act like a petulant child and closed down the medbay. Pink was on call that night, so there wasn't any need for him to delay any longer.

A few minutes later, Vec was pressing the call button outside of Thia's quarters, the makeshift Counselor's Office. When the door stepped in, he paused looking around at the room he'd just left. "This is... a bit surreal," he said stepping inside.

Thia smiled and held back a laugh as she stood and beckoned him to join her at the table before sitting down again. "That's understandable. I try to recreate a space individually tailored to my patients to maximize their comfort. If I don't know much about them, I normally just turn off the volumetrics, but..."

With a click of her jaw, the volumetrics dropped and they were now sitting at the same table in her office. It was a standard officers' quarters with bunk beds, a desk and chair, and lockers in the back. The walls and floor were plain Zesuaium, but the volumetric window overhead showed the space outside of the Resurgence.

"It's a bit plain. If that sets you more at ease, we can go with it. You seemed quite comfortable in the medbay, so I thought it might set you at ease. Though, perhaps given your enjoyment of coffee..." Thia clicked her jaw several times in rapid succession, and the volumetrics switched on again, recreating the Ypperlig café in Kyoto which she had once visited. At the center of the space was a well-worn wooden bar that formed a circle around a set of coffee equipment that looked like it was scrounged from scrap, but which the baristas used expertly at a frantic pace to serve customers who were approaching the bar from every direction. Thia and Vec sat to one side of the space in one of a series of cubbies that ran along the walls and offered a modicum of privacy from prying eyes. "A café might be preferable?"

The CMO hunched in on himself a little. "It's fine, I guess," he said as the room shifted and changed around him. He couldn't place why he felt on edge. Part of it might have been an aversion to being catered towards. It also might have been a result of how superficial it all felt. It was his own fault for being standoffish with most of the crew. "No, um, sorry it's nice, thank you for the effort, Thia," he corrected. She was doing her best to relate to him, he owed her that much at least.

Seeing Vec's body language become almost defensive as she switched settings, Thia decided to leave the volumetrics set to café for the time being. "Of course, I do my best to set my patients at ease. I'm here to help. I'm not here to tell you how to get better or even if you should get better. I'm here to be a resource to you, in your own process of improving or maintaining your mental health."

Thia reached out and picked up the mug of coffee she'd placed closest to herself, lifting it to her lips and taking a slow sip with her eyes closed. Though she preferred a stiff drink to coffee any day, she had to admit that Rossa made a damn fine cup of coffee. Rather than setting the mug down again, she held out her hand like a platform, resting her shoulder on the table, and set the mug into her hand as she looked across at Vec.

"How is your first CMO posting treating you so far?" She asked, enjoying the warmth of the mug in her hands as she smiled warmly at him.

Taking a sip of his own coffee, he had to admit that Rossa's coffee wasn't half bad bold without becoming bitter. It was as much a matter bean choice and technique, or at last Vec thought as much. He mulled over Thia's question between sips. "It's hard to say," Vec said finally, "Its a new experience. I've never actually been stationed on a ship before. I just never know if I'm going about things the right way." He decided to go with honesty he didn't plan to just spill his guts, but clamming up defeated the purpose of seeing a therapist. He wouldn't be a recalcitrant patient. He owed her that much at least, as one medical professional to another.

"It's my first military posting, so I kinda know what you mean. It certainly feels like there's a right way to do things and I don't usually know what it is," Thia commiserated with a slow nod. "But I think the chief part of Chief Medical Officer gives you some authority to say what the right way to do things is. Would you say that things have been working out so far?"

"I mean, nobody's permanently dead," Vec said with a dismissive wave of his hand, "I honestly don't think I'm particularly well liked though. I'm of two minds about it. If people are physically and mentally healthy then that's all that matters. Well no, that's wrong, having a good bedside manner is important for that whole process. Besides, it is important to be able to enjoy working with people, especially when we're all trapped on a tiny boat in space."

Taking a sip of her coffee, Thia paused for a moment as she thought about what he said. "I don't like doctors. Or authority figures. And you know what I hate the most? When they're right," Thia gave him a toothy smile, showing off her pointed canines. "What I mean is: sometimes as a doctor and a leader, it's more important to be right than to be liked. You're right, bedside manner is important. Don't go around barking at people. But at the end of the day, if barking at me or Poppy or a patient saves lives, then that's important."

"I mean fair, I really don't like barking at people either. I don't even like pulling rank. A good chunk of an Officer's job is mentorship, that's something you'll need to keep in mind too, Shoi Hates Authority," Vec said, an amused tone creeping into his voice. "Anyway, that's all well and good, but this isn't the kind of job you can just clock out from and go have drinks with a whole nother group of people. The same people I see every day are the same people I see on my off hours. Crewing a gunship means everything is a little more personal."

"Yeah, I might've made the wrong choice going into the army when I know I hate authority, huh?" Thia laughed a little too loudly and quickly reached up to cover her mouth as she cleared her throat. "But you're right, of course. You have to be able to look us all in the eyes at the end of the day."

Thia took a long, slow sip, more as a stalling tactic than anything else. "If it helps, I'm always up for drinks and conversations even if you don't want to look at me, or think I don't want to look at you. I've had a lot of that with people I absolutely despised and I've been pretty good company, though I do say so myself."

"I think I'd like that, I've been in the army for almost as long as a lot of the older crew have been alive," Vec said, finally sitting back in his chair. "Sometimes it feels like I'm on a boat full of children. Grabbing drinks with a colleague my own age wouldn't hurt." An actual grin crept across his face, "Careful, Thia, you might fuck around and get appointed Med department's unofficial moral officer. I mean I think you are the most well-adjusted one of us."

"Morale is indirectly what I'm here for. I'm going to work with everyone who will sit down with me to help them with hard things, and the individuals are my priority. But ideally, there are knock-on effects and the mental health of the group becomes self-sustaining. That's the dream, anyway," she smiled. As she sat there, smiling warmly, almost like a proud parent, something shifted and there was a hint of sadness in her eyes. "I've been through some hard times myself and learned to be good-humored about it at least."

Thia finally set her mug down on the table, crossed her legs, and leaned back in her chair. "How have you been taking the hard times yourself?"

"If I haven't let an enemy kill me, I'm sure as hell not doing it myself," Vec said with a dark grin. It slipped as he realized what he was doing. "Hard to say," he said, trying to think about own actions. He'd been at it so long, he didn't really know what baseline normal was.

What an interesting answer, Thia thought. Most people either tried to avoid the question or took it as an opportunity to vent. "Maybe I can ask some more specific questions that might make it easier to answer the big one," she offered. "Aside from drinking with Counselors, what do you like to do outside of work?"

"Play guitar, listen to music, I like to catch a live show when I can," he said before topping off his coffee. "I also like to bank up my leave to go on long backpacking trips. Find a planet and a map and just start walking. You see all sorts of interesting things and meet interesting people like that. Sometimes I even'll see how far I can get just by busking."

"Wow, that sounds really exciting. I never really traveled much except when work sent me somewhere. The only real vacation I ever took was going to see the opening of the Aquarius Star Fortress, because I thought it would be fun to see a bunch of nekos swimming around in big tanks of water," Thia's smile pulled a little wider on one side as she thought back on the memory, fighting the urge to click her jaw and revisit it through the volumetrics. "When was the last time you had leave like that?"

"Before I came here, basically reported to the Res right off the tail of my vacation," he said matter of factly. "If you don't mind me asking, was it lack of opportunity or lack of interest? That's kept you from traveling, I mean."

"I really like meeting people," she said as she went to take a sip from her coffee but found it empty. Rather than putting it back on the table, she held onto it but rested it on one of her knees as she continued. "The right bar in any big enough port has new people every night. So I guess I let people come to me, rather than going to find them. I lived in Ternifac for the last four years, and there's this bar right off the train station where there's a constant flow of people either just arriving or just about to depart. So when I wasn't studying, I'd go there and single out whoever seemed like the most interesting people to talk to. There was always someone. So I guess I never felt like I had to go much farther afield to find what I was looking for."

Thia smiled again, but it wasn't the warm encouraging smile she liked to give people, or the lopsided grin when she was thinking of something devious, but an embarrassed smile that looked like it ought to be accompanied by nervous laughter. "Anyway, did you enjoy it last time you traveled?"

"Can't really complain," Vec said, unsure what she was looking for.

"You don't seem very enthusiastic," Thia noted with a slight tilt of her head, trying to gauge his tone. "Were you happier to come back to work than you were to have leave?"

"Hard to say. Sorry," Vec said ruefully, "Going on leave between assignments is a bit different. Usually, I'm going back to the same unit and the same troops I'm familiar with. Last time I went on leave, I was leaving people and a job I was familiar with to start something completely new. Well, I got my specific orders while I was on leave. Sorry can't be more helpful," Vec added.

"That's okay," Thia reassured him as she began to worry that enjoyment and happiness might be foreign concepts to him. "Maybe you could tell me how you felt when you got your orders. Were you excited? Nervous? Indifferent?"

"A bit of all of those," Vec said, "It's different from any position I've had before, but I am a Medical Officer so there's that. I was, and still am confident in my training as a doctor. Well, a trauma surgeon, but we all start in the same place. I just don't think I expected it to be as different as it was." He trailed off and stared into his cooling coffee. "In the end, I mostly just didn't give it much thought. Jumping into absolute shit storms is what I'd been doing for th last four years. The main difference was that I'd be jumping with a team I trusted, clear missions, and nobody second-guessing my every fucking order. So yeah, I went in treating it like just another op, but I guess I misjudged. At this point, I kind of just want to know what people expect from me. I'm not going to bend over backward to meet it, I'm just going to do what I was trained to do. Fuck I'm just fucking rambling." He let the meandering, belly-aching petter out. He didn't enjoy just talking to hear himself talk.

Thia clicked her jaw and her cybernetic eye glowed a little more brightly as she recalled their introductory message chain, careful not to trigger her datapad to try and render it through the volumetrics since she was pretty sure it would fail to render text as it had with two-dimensional images.

"The second message you sent me, before we'd even met, told me to follow lawful orders but speak my mind," Thia noted as she read the message. "I think that's a good policy. For someone willful like me, it makes me less likely to be insubordinate because I know at the very least I can speak my mind about it later in private. But maybe it invites people to second-guess you openly, rather than quietly resenting the orders you give that they disagree with. What do you think?"

"It's a hard call, I don't want to make bad decisions because of my own pride, especially in this line of work," Vec said, leaving it ambiguous as to whether he meant medicine, warfare, or both. "On the other side sometimes you do have to just bull through even if your subordinates don't agree with your call. A lot of times, good leadership involves looking like you know what you're doing even if you're unsure yourself. I've been on both sides of the coin, started my career as an enlisted, so sometimes I like to think I know better than most officers, but I don't actually know if that's the case. My first leadership position weirdly enough might have been leadership on easy mode. Yeah, we had to make a bunch of crazy calls under fire, but we also had strong unity of purpose and really high morale. That's not something I can build by myself, but it's worth figuring out where to start." If they don't resent me for it, he almost added, but thought better of it. "I want to ask you about your assessments of the crew, but right now, I'm talking to you as a patient, not your department head. Feels like a breach of boundaries."

"I won't share anything told to me in confidence, of course, but overall most of the crew I've met so far have been doing better than I would have expected," Thia gave him a half-smile. "Though that may say more about my expectations than anything else. Given what I read in the briefing on recent events, I was expecting much worse. From what I've seen, the crew is all over the place and could use someone cracking the whip on them."

"Fair enough," Vec said nodding, "Was that your answer to Vec the patient, or CMO Wilson?"

"I'm still trying to separate one from the other in my mind," Thia said, squinting her eyes as if to emphasize the effort she was going through. The effect of squinting closed her glowing cybernetic eye with long eyelashes was that it made her eye sparkle as she moved her head, which wasn't really what she was going for. "I don't think it's a breach of boundaries to tell any member of the crew what I just said. I think it's something they already know on some level, if they've been around long enough to go on an away mission or been part of a debriefing. So I guess it's my answer to Vec the patient. But if CMO Wilson, or the Captain, or anyone higher up in the chain of command asked me the same thing, I'd give them the same answer and wouldn't betray my patients' trust no matter what they threatened me with."

Shrugging, Thia sat back in her chair. "But the CMO, and Poppy to some extent, get the privilege of my patients' medical details, as much as I can tease them apart without giving away anything said in confidence."

"It's a pain in the ass, ain't it?" Vec said, "I honestly hate how blurry things like this get. Shouldn't I be sitting here sobbing about my childhood? Instead, I'm asking you for your evals on the crew."

"I like it," Thia seemed instantly invigorated by what he'd said. "If there were some kind of script, I'd be bored as hell. Instead, it's like..."

Trailing off, Thia brought a finger up to tap her lips a few times. "Oh, have you ever seen these boxes that some woodworkers like to make? The kind of woodworkers who spend all their money on hand tools and spend all their time reading about ways to join wood without nails? Anyway, they make these boxes of wood. Only they're made of dozens of pieces that are meant to slide apart if you do it right, but you can't just keep pulling any one piece because it will run up against another piece. Sometimes you even have to push pieces back in before you can move forward. It's like that. Only, it's more fun because it's talking instead of pulling stupid pieces of wood apart."

Vec sat up and tucked his feet under himself as he listened. "That does sound oddly fun, well actually learning to make those puzzles. I guess that's people though, right? We're all messy and conflicted and full of contradictions, but sometimes I don't think we get the luxury to be people, the Army's supposed to teach you how to turn it off." The rueful tone in his voice showed how much he believed it, "You don't though, you just kinda push it down. And the army is only now getting around to getting fucking counselors."

Thia opened her mouth as if she wanted to say something about what the Army taught, but when she saw Vec about to speak again, she smoothly transitioned into the warm smile she gave her patients. Almost like that's what she had intended from the start. When Vec finished, she thought back and decided to reply to what he'd said first.

"That is people, exactly. That's why I love people. I've never met a person that, after meeting them, I felt like I understood them completely," Thia replied, perking up like a cat that just saw something small and fluffy move. "I guess that means the puzzle analogy is a bit inaccurate, because with puzzles once you learn the solution, you can repeat it in reverse to put it back together, and then forwards again to take it apart again. People are a fresh puzzle every time, sometimes changing as I try to open them up."

Thia paused for a moment, thinking back to what she'd intended to say about the Army. "It's my intention to never stop being people. I'm just doing what I can to dial myself down to what I think I can get away with. I can hardly help people if I'm not people myself, you know?"

Vec leaned back, giving the ceiling a sad smile. "Good luck," he said in a darker tone than he'd intended.

With Vec's eyes on the ceiling, Thia allowed a frown to break through the mask she wore whenever she wasn't alone, but only for a moment. Somehow, his doubt felt like a challenge, and as much as she wanted to reply to the gauntlet he'd thrown down in front of her by picking it up and slapping him with it, she drew upon the same restraint that let her deal with unsavory people in her previous line of employment.

"Yeah, it's a dumb idea," she laughed quietly. "But I guess I like to cling to it because it gives me hope. Do you have any hopes? Dreams? Aspirations?"

"I did when I was younger," Vec said lowering his gaze to meet hers again. "I wanted to become a doctor. What about you?"

"Currently, my dream is to take care of soldiers in the way that I know they weren't being cared for a couple of years ago when I met a bunch of them in a bar before Glimmergold," Thia frowned again, but it wasn't in response to something Vec had said or done, so she didn't feel like she needed to hide it. "I guess I've always dreamed about taking care of people, one way or another. More violently when I was young, but after I learned how bad I am at any form of violence, I changed it up. Started actually caring for people, and it stuck. Mostly."

Thia looked down and brushed her hand across a spot on her pleated skirt, only to discover that it was a drop of coffee that likely wasn't going away any time soon. "So you achieved your dream. That's an accomplishment not everyone gets to claim. What's next?"

Vec nodded as he listened. They were more alike than he'd realized. "Just keep being the best damn doctor I can be," he answered. Then sighed. "Sorry, Thia, using bravado to avoid giving you a useful answer. Truth is, I don't know. Yeah, I do want to continue getting better. There are even some papers I want to publish, but that seems kinda mundane. You asked about my hopes and dreams. I'm a lifer. I'm in the army for the long haul. Not much of a career climber either though. If I get more sick of the army than normal, I'll probably find another job that lets me do medicine while getting shot at. There aren't many, but a few security firms do high-threat casevac services. I really haven't given the future much though. Life just started happening and it keeps happening whether I want it to or not."

"I swear I wasn't building up to this, but I've volunteered to conduct interviews with people about their career aspirations. I know literally nothing about career progression in the Army in particular, but I do know that it helps to have specific, achievable goals. Publishing a paper is a great example, assuming you have a specific topic in mind," Thia said as she tried to give him a reassuring look. "You're not under any obligation, of course, but I've found that having goals to focus on helped me get through the bad times."

At the corner of her vision, a little notification flashed. "I don't want to keep you here all day," she told him, though it wasn't entirely true. "I'll try to come up with a more comfortable setting for next time, and if you have any suggestions I would be happy to oblige."

Vec tried and failed at not giving Thia a flat look. He understood that she'd latched onto publishing at random but he couldn't help but feel they were talking past each other again. He also knew that he couldn't be too hard on her for not really understanding him, she was a psychologist, not a mind reader and he hadn't done much to make things easy for her. "Fair enough, I'm planning on hiking all the way across the hall to stare at a wall." He stood and headed for the door. Pausing before he left, he turned and said, "A normal office is fine, or just do what's comfortable for you. Also, if there's anything specific you want to know about me or something you want me to think on, I can have that ready before our next session."

Thia inhaled as though she were about to say something, but paused instead. Her face scrunched up into an almost painful look as she tucked her mouth to one side, clearly trying to imagine something difficult. "A normal office definitely isn't comfortable for me," she explained with an almost revolted look on her face. "But I'll think of something. As for you: I want to know what you think makes a good CMO, and I want to know something that you truly enjoy outside of work. Okay?"

"I do though, I like backpacking, seeing live music, I don't know really what you want from me," Vec said, somewhat nonplussed. "Also, how about a bar next time? Seems like your speed." He paused and said, "Please don't take that the wrong way, that wasn't supposed to be judgemental."

"Sure, let's meet in a bar next time" Thia replied with a laugh. "I might even be able to provide some hooch if you want to complete the experience."

"Only if you want to, Thia," Vec said eyes locking on a spot over her shoulder. "Just, please, don't do things on my behalf."

Thia smirked this time. "I don't think you could stop me, but I promise it won't be anything too lavish. And it's just as much for my own benefit."

"Sounds good, find some time to enjoy your day as well," Vec said before leaving.

---

JP by: @hyralt @Locked_Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back