• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

What Specifically Should Be In A Starter Pack for Independent Characters?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Recently I've been working on the NMX standard issue page and it got me thinking...I couldn't find the thread but I remember there was a discussion a while back that was basically that we should make sure independent characters who aren't citizens of a faction like Yamatai, Nepleslia, or the NDC, have an equivalent starter pack of items to begin the RP with. This would be something a lot more useful than throwing 3000 KS starter cash at them and the list of products and telling the new player to go shopping and figure it out.

I decided to make this starter pack in the style of things like the Pathfinder SRD, in that it's going to be an "item set" e.g. Explorer's Outfit that will be a complete outfit plus some basic gear that will help them be successful. So I'm thing a full set of rugged clothing, plus basic survival gear, some provisions, a communication device...

Before I get the list going too much, I want to ask the whole Star Army community first: Is there anything specifically you'd like to see in there? Should we add shelter or some sort of tickets for transportation? What about giving them weapons?

Don't know if it will help, but when I made my independent Dom for the Sobek plot, this is what I put together with his starting cash. Had to guess a few numbers though and the whole process took about four hours, a lot of which was just trying to find the items in the wiki. I tried to make it a complete set of everything he should have with him though...

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but maybe they should start with 3,000 KS plus X,000 KS of starting gear from a list of stuff (which can include a bunch of new AI picture generated gear). Since they're independent rather than in a military, each rare indy character might want to customize what they start with.

If I was being dropped off as an independent in SARPiverse, here is a list of things I'd want in addition to money. (there are probably a few things I'd like that aren't on the list).

1. Clothing sets (probably like 3)
2. Space Suit
3. Vehicle Capable of Interstellar Travel (for me, the RL equivalent might be a motorhome pulling a cargo trailer. But just a regular car might work too)
4. Commlink
5. Multitool
6. Weapon (Likely a pistol of some sort)
7. Wallet (If the commlink doesn't do like apple pay or something and I have to actually carry cards around)
8. Personal Care kit

I've been thinking about this for a little while, and I'd like to offer the Misha-Class Explorer 1C as an optional starter ship for this pack. It is essentially an RV in space, has well-defined deck plans, available for anyone, and is perfect for a small-time plot getting started. Yugumo offers a lot of discounts and easy financing on the ship as well to make the cost of it manageable. Up to you though.

Last edited:
I just don't think giving a whole starship of to new players is the best move. Everyone else starts with 3000 KS or so, the value of a ship is way higher than that, plus you're making the assumption that the independent characters can even fly ships. It may be better to give them access to a ship, etc. PAINT tickets, or an NPC friend who will bring them places, or a robot who knows how to pilot shuttles or something.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back