• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP [YSS Koun] Medical project no. 217-00875 Senti species research (SARA project 815-23387)

HarperMadi

🎨 Media Gallery
RP Date
RP Location
YSS Koun medical bay
Post cloning vivisection transcript on Senti body
Dictation by Sanke Tari, general medicine, YSS Koun

Pre examination notes

Examination to be performed on spare body originally meant for Aliset Koun. Due to developmental gender error, this body has been marked unusable. However, it is a perfect clone built from her complete and unabridged genome.

All due questions were asked, and Sutessetu Soren of Shurista, along with Dusali Himiko of the same were able to confirm by scans and other data sent that this body had developed normally. Several Shuristan medical professionals were rather confused by the issue, though a historian and mythology expert from the Grand Library did have some interesting theories. In the end, they all conceded to admitting that Yamataian medical technology is far further in development to theirs at this time, and we have no credible sources found to indicate how far the Senti have regressed during their isolation.

Error analysis shows that the patient's hormones at the time of genetic sampling, alongside developmental factors resulted in a healthy male body. Genome analysis reveals Senti operate on a 23 base pair chromosome pattern, with a base four mirrored amino acid analogue system using iron compounds, notably structured as ferric metalozines. The sequence is similar enough to several human derived species to be theoretically compatible, however, this is highly unlikely due to ionic markers. Moreover, where in humans, the 23rd gene pair normally codes for sex, as with most species the last gene pair doing the same, Samples from across First Fleet and small numbers of civilian volunteers shows no distinct sex dependent gene or chromosome. The last gene pair in stead seems to code a caste system. So far, four castes have been identified in this way. Senti call them ethnicities, however unlike human ethnicities or Separa morphs, there are major physiological differences presented and coded in these caste genes, which appear to be dominant exclusive. Any one caste gene will disable any others, and be disabled in turn if not two of the same.

More research is required, and other bodies cloned for the purpose of identifying, categorizing, and disseminating these castes. Returning to this particular specimen.

Body was humanely euthanized by hypothermia while sedated, and then returned to room temperature. Verified time of death was fourteen hours ago as of this recording. As is standard procedure, the body and any samples will be disposed of by nanomachine based dissolution and recycling. As many of the chemical matrices were notably difficult to synthesize, using hazardous chemicals and processes that Star Army equipment was never designed to handle, this will enable a faster production of the new body, hopefully in the correct gender for the patient. The modifications made to a body production module were extensive, and bypassed many of the safety features that would normally be grounds to stop the project. Moreover, most species can be assembled from existing biomass, but most of our present biomass is meant for carbon based life forms, and I do not know if the genetics would work at all if translated to standard carbon base. I will leave that to our geneticists.

I will also note, here, that Taii Sacre Ven Sansinnia, chief of YSS Koun medical department, was rather disturbed at the discovery, and ethical concerns over the vivisection of her fiance's body were the primary reasoning for her not performing this examination. I do know the patient, and interact with her regularly, up to and including having performed several physical and psychological examinations for her duty cycle. I will be able to compare my observations of the original with her masculine counterpart over the course of this vivisection. I am a general multispecies physician specializing in rare and nonsapient biological species, currently working on the Koun due to the ship's explorative duty cycle.

Let us begin.

External examination transcript

Beginning with an exterior exam. Subject is Skydasir, a term coming from the Shuristan language to mean "Descendants of Skydas", which I believe to be an archaic term for some kind of warrior caste, given the known behavioral differences and some things Koun-Chui has told me were said to her in her youth. This caste presents with pale silver skin with a slight pink-green iridescence, heightened by application of water or other fluids. Eyes show a similar iridescence of the blue-green variety. Hair is a silver root that quickly fades to a rusted burgundy. I will note, here, that this pattern is rather common, and presents in other castes, indicating that it is not caste specific. Facial features are soft and symmetrical, with a small nose and wide, full lip. Subject appears humanoid, with five exterior digits on hands and feet, alongside a bipedal, upright stature. Subject is also visibly and distinctly male. Will compare anatomical scans of original. Moving to the feet, where I will move up the body.

Height from foot pad to top of head is approximately 165 centimeters. Weight is 155 kilograms, approximate age of thirty eight years old as of growth halt. This is based on the known growth rate of Senti personnel, and the indeterminate growth of Senti to an average life span of three hundred and thirty standard years and average height of 450cm at time of death.

It should be noted that personal experience notes the feet as strong and dextrous, and this is shown in the flexibility of the foot joints and toe length. The ankle is also highly flexible, with well defined tensor muscles and a well developed ankle joint. Feeling for the musculature shows at least two lateral tensors and a large calf to extend the foot. There is a smaller muscle below the knee cap that appears to go nowhere. X-rays show the tendon to go between the fibula and tibia, likely reinforcing the Achilles tendon.

The knee joint shows several floating spurs and connection points. These lead to large and powerful quadriceps group muscles and both anterior and posterior hip flexors running to the pelvic bridge and coccyx. As with most sapients, male Senti do appear to have distinct male genitalia, though I was not able to locate external testes, and the skin that would normally be a scrotum appears to be more similar in appearance to vulvae. In this channel, there is a small vent into the abdominal cavity that I believe to be a highly underdeveloped vaginal canal. The penis otherwise appears normal.

Abdominal muscles are well defined and visible under the skin, abdominal X-ray images reveal a well defined abdominal wall, the transverse abdominals attaching to both the spine and an interlocking set of floating bones forming an overlapping abdominal plate, obliques run over the abdominal muscles before connecting to the base of the sternum in the same muscular tendon group as the vertical abdominal muscles, of which, notably, are arranged in three groups running to the frontal pelvis under the floating sternae of the abdominal plate. Mammary glands are reduced in size with no notable fatty deposits and a well defined and surprisingly normal upper thoracic musculature and shoulder. The labrum appears to be bone reinforced, with long scapulae that form a hammerhead shape at the point of the shoulder. Trapezium and biceps seem to be fairly normal for a humanoid, as does the rest of the arm and neck. It should be noted that the facial structure and bones are slightly changed from human standard, but not enough to be immediately apparent.

Rotating the body to examine the back, the upper thoracic musculature is again humanoid normal. However, the anterior obliques appear to sleeve through a spinal arch before returning to the lateral portion of the pelvic girdle. This would offer a great strength to size ratio and excellent leverage for the rotation of the hips. This unusual lower thoracic and leg musculature is unsurprising given the Senti native environment of deep space without gravity. I speculate this structure of the lower body allows precise control of balance and rotation, alongside a large amount of change in velocity and intertia.

Rolling the body back. Notable lack of rigor mortis. Likely due to low water content and oil based fluids loosening fibers. I can, based on this information, confirm Senti to be morphologically humanoid. At least in the external morphology. Human like face, two arms, two legs, opposable thumbs, and five digits per extremity. Two eyes, round ears, and a nose. All in all, not terribly unusual. What is odd is the level of visual similarity. Though the humanoid body plan does offer some advantages in generalist species and predisposition to tool use.

End external examination.

Internal examination transcript

To begin the internal examination, I am preparing a fluid modeling camera to map the sinus and olfactory canals. The camera consists of fifty milliliters of nanomachine slurry in a gel substrate, which will creep along the surface and generate a three dimensional model of the skull cavities. I am inserting the syringe into the left nostril and draining twenty five milliliters, before repeating the process in the right. By the time the rest of the examination is complete, I should have an accurate model that will allow me to shorten the examination of the skull by a significant margin. With the assistance of the medical artificial intelligences, I should be able to accurately map the internal systems for later analysis, and identify any tissues found.

I am now inserting two ten gauge needles into the corotid artery and jugular vein of the subject, by X-ray guidance. This is to simultaneously drain the cardiovascular system and refill it with a nanomachine mapping system and camera similar to the one used to map the skull. The arteries are surprisingly deep in the neck, set against the back of the esophagus, so the needles are going to follow the fatty layer separating muscle and airway so that I can drain the cardiovascular system. The blood is about the consistency of diesel fuel, and pungent in aroma. Very rich blue color indicates cyanogloben that uses copper as an oxidizing agent, though I note that texts reference that Senti can switch to a more standard haemoglobin, producing a red color. This is normally in response to metabolic stress such as malnutrition or atmospheric toxins. It is also noted that this causes osteoporosis and tendonitis in long term sufferers. The use of an oil solvent blood is highly unusual for a biological, as many nutrients and metabolites are not normally oil soluble. I believe that this may be to reduce water requirements, as Senti have been observed to go days or weeks without water, presenting lethargy and other mild symptoms with dehydration. However, eye sight, senses, and performance do not appear to suffer this. I am unsure if this adaptation is worth the massive caloric need to produce this fluid, and may be a major factor in the total metabolic collapse and body failure of Senti at the end of life.

I will also be draining the lymphatic system when I find a suitable node and examining that fluid, as well as injecting the camera. Or, if Dr. Sansinnia's new blood symbiote is effective, injecting a smaller version of the camera into the living specimen after a successful ST. It has been noted that when our living member of the species has injured herself that the fluids are both water and oil, indicating a large volume of water based lymphatic fluid. There will be a lot of testing required of our living members of the species to confirm findings of this examination.

First incision is at the interior upper forearm, to expose the flexor carpi group. I note here that the connective tissue of the skin is thick, with subdermal capillaries running throughout. However, there is not much of what I would normally call fat, here. The globules lay flat, and are firmly connected. My laser scalpel was having trouble delivering the necessary heat, so I am now switching to a traditional scalpel with a number 7 blade. This is doing much better. Judging by the viscosity of the blood, Senti likely do not coagulate well, causing frequent and persistent bleeding.

Cutting through the muscular wall, I have found a gelatinous sleeve, likely a low density fat. The only explanation I can generate involves the material conductivity of the cellular matrix necessitating a secondary insulator aside the myelinoid sheath, alongside separating the muscle fibers to aid in cramp recovery. Collecting a sample for analysis. The muscle fibers appear loosely connected to each other, acting on an internal carteliginous ribbon structure. Muscular anatomy in this section appears humanoid norm, with three primary flexors and associated ligaments. These ligaments are more difficult to cut, and tear easily along the longitudinal axis. Examination by magnifying shows some micro osteo growths, likely a form of fibrous reinforcement to the tissue. Combined with the sample strength of lab grown tendon tissue without these, it's very likely that epinephrine adjacent stress hormones do not improve temporary strength significantly.

Severing the muscles, I have located the radial artery, and what appears to be a bundle of nervous tissue. Possibly the radial nerve. There is an unusual growth in here, a small sphere of hard cartilage nestled into the nerves. I see a nerve connecting it to the bundle. Removing the organ for analysis. Opening further to the wrist and hand, I see more of the same structures. And another of these orb shaped growths rooted into the radial nerve. Opening it, I find that the hard cartelage shell is just that. The organ is fluid filled. Further analysis will be necessary, but I believe these to be tied into balance. If my suspicion is right, we will find layers of pressure sensitive nerves inside the orb, measuring changes in pressure as the body accelerates. Given the sensitivity I have observed and the Senti ability to orient seamlessly in micro or zero gravity, I would expect to find these in every major joint.

I am removing the radial nerve for analysis. Behind the nerve is a large vein that passes between the radius and ulna, appearing to exit on the anterior side of the elbow and slip beneath the triceps along the humerus.

Moving on to the abdominal cavity, X-rays and scans of this area were hazy due to the thickness of the bone layers here. I'll be taking organ samples to compare for fleetwide health efforts. Abdominal incision is three cuts, the upper following the line of the rib cage supporting cartelage. Second across the lower abdomen. Lastly upwards to open the skin, bisecting the navel. Peeling away the skin, I find a layer of subcutaneous fat deposits. Notably different from the subcutaneous fats of the arm. This appears to be more oily and firm, with interlocking globules and an unusual level of granularity. Severing the oblique to access the lateral abdominals, and severing those at the bone that can be seen just under the cartelage layer. Scraping the surface of the bone, I see large crystalline growths. These are likely smaller than would be on a natural born specimen due to the growth rate and the effects of microgravity. These growths do not appear to affect the shape of the bone, though there is a layer of connective tissue holding it in place. This is likely where the osteoblasts and plasts are located. Notable to me is that most carbon based life forms use calcium sulfate in their bones, alongside connective tissues, which allows the body to rapidly heal from fractures. Chemical analysis of other deceased Senti, specifically the bone handle of a service knife, reveal this material to be more chemically similar to a crystalline steel alloy. I do not know how the body would break these crystals down for use in other portions of the body, as the closest carbon equivalent would likely be an ossified carbon fiber.

Upon removing the abdominal sternae, I can now make a vertical incision through the abdominal tensor muscle to take a sample of the abdominal wall. I have taken this from the area of the navel. Inside of the abdominal cavity, I see the bladder and intestinal tract. Removing these gently, I notice a distinct division at the lower third or so of the intestinal tract, wrapping across the body near the stomach once before slipping back and following the spine until it reaches the anus, which appears to be relatively normal in structure. The stomach appears to be normal sized, comparative to similarly sized humanoids. All of these organs are packed in fat layers, similar to other humanoids. I have removed the stomach and taken samples for analysis.

With the interior posterior abdominal wall now exposed, I can take the lymphatic samples and begin draining that system more efficiently. Abdominal aeortae are on the anterior spine, just outside the abdominal cavity wall. Locating the gonads, I can confirm the presence of two small, presumably reproductive organs in the lower abdomen, alongside a fleshy tubule. Removing the entire interior portion of the reproductive system for analysis. My current hypothesis on the nature of these organs indicates the penile shaft to be partially lubricating, which would assist in sexual activity. Moreover, it is known that Senti females do not have a true uterus, but a primitive uterine pouch, and that the female of the species constantly produce ovum at approximately the same rate as sperm production in males. Further study on Senti reproductive processes should be explored, and that will likely be an interview with Dr. Soren.

Lymphatic fluid is clear and thin, matching viscosity to water. I believe this is where the majority of water in the body is stored, and it runs directly to the kidneys, liver, and up via two large vessels to the chest cavity. I believe the Senti body uses the lymphatic system and the water based fluids involved as a filtration medium. I have removed and set aside a kidney for further examination and dissection. On the other, I note a distinct lack of the adrenal gland or a similar structure. As with other gas breathing humanoid sapients, the chest cavity and abdominal cavity are separated by a large, muscular wall. The diaphragm is not unusual or notable in size and shape. Two large lymphatic ducts run parallel to the abdominal aeortae, before connecting somewhere in both kidneys, lending credence to the theory of Senti kidney function being a water based filter, likely combined with a standard hypo-oxygenated acidic tissue to draw the waste from the water. I do not believe that the lymphatic system, aside from the intra abdominal ducting is particularly high flow or pressure, but finding the mechanism by which it does flow will tell me more. Opening the duct near one of the valves of the abdominal aorta shows a lymphatic valve closing opposite to blood flow and assumedly part of the same structure given the connective tissue.

Opening the stomach, it appears to be multichambered, with muscular growths in the lining that appear to aid in grinding of food particles. Combined with metallic bone protrusions, it appears this body is capable of geophagia, but I will need to examine the stomach acid and gall bladder to determine this. The smell is pungent and easily identified as reminiscent of various mining and chemical processing ingredients. I believe the stomach lining and associated fluid will be highly caustic and use water as a primary diluting agent. This will necessitate a change of gloves and a fresh blade. This is not unexpected, as the digestive modification to Nekovalkyrja designed and submitted by Dr. Sansinnia has a similar effect, and analysis of reproduced organ systems using the gene have shown similar internal growths and musculature.

The liver is fairly large, with the expected blood flow and porosity, though interestingly appears to connect to the lymphatic system, as well, via the twin abdominal canals. Further implication that the Senti body uses water primarily as an internal filtration media. It appears to be separated into three lobes, but otherwise is normally shaped with an asymmetric arch and concave underside as it sits against a fold in the abdominal lining. This fold appears to hold an organ similar in structure to a pancreas, alongside a gall bladder. I will run deeper scans on both organs. Interestingly, I see no evidence of a spleen-analagous organ in this cavity.

Given the spleen in carbon based humanoids is used to filter and pump the blood and lymphatic fluid, this is surprising. But multiple valve structures in the abdominal aeortae near the hips indicates that the motion of the body takes over this pumping task by muscular exertion around different larger veins and arteries, assisting by generation of differential pressure. This is especially notable given the structures in the mid arm where the radial vein passed between the radius and ulna to the anterior portion of the elbow. This also would serve to lessen severe bleeds by burying high pressure arteries deep in the musculature whilst low pressure veins can run closer to the surface, and thus preventing exanguination by arterial spray. I suspect a similar pattern will be revealed in dissection of the leg. It is of note that the lymphatic system in humans is part of the immune regulatory complex, with slow moving fluids facilitating the movement of macrophages and other cells for immune response. However, Senti do not have macrophages. In fact, they have a unique symbiosis with a bacterium that takes that place, and makes nanomachine injections rather dangerous. This body was not innoculated with the symbiotes, and is sterile, so I am in no danger of the major infections caused by this bloodborne symbiote.

I think I'm about done taking apart the abdominal cavity, and will move to the chest cavity.

The same process of a V shaped cut has been used to peel back the skin and breast tissue, and I find the mammary glands of the subject to not be underdeveloped. They are simply small, with a thin layer of fat, indicating a present lack of progestin-adjacent hormones by the lack of fatty buildup around the gland. It is worth noting that Dr. Soren claimed that the glands can increase in size by several times during pregnancy, and usually lean back down after weaning of the young. However, defects do occur, and the breast and hip are the primary buildup points of body fat in overweight individuals. Moreover, the instinctive repulsion to overly large breasts indicates that this is not a visual indicator of fertility in this species, and is more an indicator that the affected is not available for mating. Due to their unique biochemistry, physical and reproductive health should present on the skin and in behavior. It is also worth noting that it is well recorded that mood and emotional health can change the balance of blood borne regulatory hormones, which have been described as breaking down in the sweat glands to change the smell. These pseudo pheromones are known to have mild and subconscious effects on members of the same species, often resulting in a cascading sympathetic response across an affected population. I have taken the liberty of collecting skin samples from various points in the body to measure density of these sweat glands and to experiment with synthesized hormones and their effects on our current living member of the species. Due to their highly eusocial nature, this system would allow rapid, cohesive responses to stimuli across a population, rather than individual responses, and may serve to reinforce the quote, "more social than humans", end quote, description. It was also noted in their briefing that it is recommended to have several members of the species hailing from similar localities for the mental health of all involved, though not to be surprised at large polyamorous family clusters forming. I do not know why our forty four person crew only has one Senti, and will have to inquire about her social isolation. But if there is credence to the pheromone communication idea, I should find structures reminiscent of a vomeronasal organ in the sinus cavities or upper palette, as observed sensitivity to smell indicates a highly developed olfactory system.

Anyway, the chest musculature appears relatively normal for a humanoid, and I don't see any unusual growths or organs in the upper layers. Severing the pectoral muscles to examine the sternum, I see two large ribbons of nervous tissue running from the scapulae towards the abdomen. I believe this may be an example of mirrored redundant thoracic nerves. I am taking a sample of this. Below that is a layer of connective tissue, and peeling that back, I find cartelige connecting the ribs and intercostal muscles to the rest of the chest, though note that this cartilage is unusually flexible, almost like a floating monodirectional joint, allowing the ribs to rotate vertically by approximately eight or ten degrees. There is a dent below the left breast, approximate shape to a thumb of a large humanoid. This is also present on the original, and here is an aesthetic modification. The original, however, notes this as an old injury, indicating the bones are meant to bend and suffer permanent plastic deformation, rather than simply breaking. I believe these joints will be the most efficient way to open the sternum and examine the chest cavity, though will also note that the Senti physiology has been, on the whole, heavily reinforced, and I expect this trend to continue into the typically robust chest cavity unique to humanoids. I would prefer to minimize damage to the internal organs as I work.

So far, I can see eleven pairs of ribs, with an unusually wide, inverse Y shaped sternum that ends in a large costal lifting muscle pulling the eleventh pair towards the sternum and acting on the cartelige tips of pairs nine and ten. The rest are connected directly, with a triangular lateral muscle pulling the lower three pairs of ribs together. I suspect this would allow the Senti body to generate high air pressure in the lungs upon exhalation. This may allow the ribcage to act as a biological G-suit, increasing body tension to prevent loss of blood pressure to the brain during high acceleration. While unusual, it is not unexpected given the evolutionary pressures of the species. Though the sheer number of microgravity inspired adaptations is surprising, considering the known low mutation rate and large generational overlap that would normally present a severely stunted evolutionary rate, and the lack of speciation across several population centers separated by dozens or hundreds of generations.

I have split the ribcage from the third rib pair down on the right side, removing one of the cartilage joints for further study. I have also cut open the third and and the eleventh intercostal connective structures to facilitate moving the rib cage out of the way. Unusually, the ribs are responding to attempts to move them, with no notable movement of the sternum. The chest cavity wall appears similar to other humanoids, with a vacuum seal of the lung against the wall. This makes the lungs easy to remove, and there is a thin film of fluid present, likely to lubricate the lung. Cutting the pulmonary aorta and the bronchial tube, the lung has been set aside for study, though there is a larger than humanoid norm nerve running along the trachea and into both lungs. I will need to dissect the lung to identify why the nerve here is so large.

Returning to the chest cavity, I find what appear to be bones running from the spine to the sternum, indicating the chest cavity to in fact be toroidal in shape, with a distinct cardiac cavity in the center of the toroid. I will need a different tool to access the heart, it seems.

After moving the ribs and lung from the opposite side, I can finally cut these bones in the chest cavity along the growth line and remove a growth line sample for further study. Removing the sternum carefully, I see the heart, and, interestingly, a pair of large lymphatic ducts bound to the outer cardiac chamber wall and to the surface of the heart. With the placement of several valves in the body of this ducting, I believe that the lymphatic system is pumped by negative action of the heart, thus the fluids flow and pressure would be approximately in phase with each other. This would serve to maximize interacting flows such as in the liver, kidneys, and connecting tissues of the abdominal aorta, especially given the opposing flow direction. The heart itself appears to be four chambered and humanoid norm, with a fairly standard arrangement of branching upper aortas running first to the lungs, and then back to be pumped through the body. There is a large gland nestled between the aortas, with direct blood flow into the left ventricle. I believe this may be the adrenal gland, and am removing it for study. If I am correct, this would allow a far more immediate response of the adrenal system than humanoid norm, with adrenaline adjacent hormones being released into the blood stream directly in the pumping body. I also note no visible connection to the thoracic nerves on the anterior side. Removing the heart, I find the connection on the posterior and running past the esophagus to the vertebral column. Following this and opening the tissue around it, I find an anterior vent in the fourth thoracic vertebra, through which the nerve appears to connect directly to the spinal column at an exaggerated vertical angle.

Convenient access to the esophagus here allows me to take a cross sectional sample for study. Initial examination of this sample shows a high density of what appears to be hair follicles inside the esophagal sleeve, which may help in catching food particles during regurgitation of gasses and preventing the "wet burping" common of human derived species in microgravity. This adaptation may also explain the material and crystalline choice of the bones, as I do not believe there would be negative effects of long term microgravity or high gravity either way, aside from organ stress, which would be reduced by the toroidal nested chest cavity.

I will now move to examine the head and neck, beginning by removal of the skin to expose the musculature. The process has become shockingly easy with the use of an iodine based sterilizing agent on the blade of my scalpel, which the toxicology briefing and some unfortunate beach incidents show as a delaminant for the cellular matrices. I notice that drops of the sanitizing agent causes near instant blackening and softening of the skin as iron compounds break apart and slough. I should be careful to not use too much to prevent unintentional damage to any portions of the body I wish to inspect.

The neck musculature looks fairly normal, with most of the muscles and tendons arranged across the sides, though there are some ossified plates extending from the spine to support and protect some of the finer control muscles, which would make the opening motion of the jaw rather weak. I also note that there is a surprising neural density near the point of the jaw and cheekbone. Noting the Senti gesture of affection that almost universally overrides motor control, this is not surprising. Possibly a vestigial remnant of some form of whisker or other facial feeler. I have observed Dr. Sansinnia arresting an anxious episode cold by cupping Koun-Chui across the jaw and using her thumb to stroke the cheekbone whilst applying pressure to the point of the jaw with her middle finger. I will have to measure the physiological response of this action.

The trachea is set behind the esophagus, which provides airway protection from impact, and the muscle of the tongue extends down nearly to where the larynx of a human would be before splitting vertically and connecting to the anterior portion of the scapular-sternum joint. There is another band of muscle laterally set across the bottom of the jaw, with another ossified plate below the tongue. Removing the esophagus, I find the trachea to be fairly normal in structure, with a similar placement of the hyoid bone and larynx, though the larynx is unusually structured. I see two distinct sets of vocal cords and hyoid processes, which would allow independent vocal harmonization, which makes sense given the information density of spoken Senti languages.

Opening the tissue of the cheek, I find the lining of the cheek to be thick and leathery. The facial nerves are distinct and present around the lips, and I have separated a portion of the lip for further analysis. I see a similar muscular structure and density to most humans in the face, offering a similar degree of expression as other humanoids, though I will note that many segments appear to be simplified and reinforced for no discernable reason. Though due to poor diet or other metabolic stressors inducing geophagia for missing nutrients, I can safely surmise the reasoning for the wide jaw muscles and the width of the cheekbone. The bite forces required would be extremely high. This also explains the color of the teeth and the difficulty of separating them from the jaw. While most humanoids use a modified dermal structure for this and a hard enamel, the Senti teeth appear to be skeletal tissue. The relative hardness of the iron bones would allow for a higher applied bite force and the lack of enamel would prevent fractures in the tooth. This also explains the sudden and rapid growth of the cuspid group seen in pregnant Senti women and in poorly nourished members of the species, as the switch to geophagia would onset fairly rapidly, inspiring an investment into growth in this region. This, in turn, forms the rock breaking fangs seen, and felt by anyone unfortunate enough to provoke a bite, as the slight rearward slant of the cuspid group would make it very difficult for a prey item to escape. Plastic deformation and wear would help manage the growth rate involved and assist in renormalization when the diet returns to normal and the body halts the excess growth.

I am removing the mandible for further study of the lower palette plate and tooth growth beds, and so that I can better examine the upper palette and structures of the throat. Immediately obvious is an upper glottis, sealing off the mouth from the trachea at will, which would allow breathing during consumption of food, and still offer the redundancy of being able to breathe through either the mouth or nose. It also seems that the glottal muscles would default to a relaxed state, allowing liquids such as water to push the valve closed, but also allow a free and open airway. This would make it very difficult, if uncomfortable for a Senti to experience drowning or other fluid inhalation. Also noting similar structures of taste buds on the upper palette and tongue, likely a larger and more developed sense of taste than most other sapients. Certainly explains why Koun-Chui is so sensitive about the seasonings used in her meals. I don't see any feasible way in these structures to seal the airway in case of decompression, but I highly doubt that it happens often enough for a mutation of the sort to occur. Saliva appears to be water based, but I am collecting a sample for confirmation.

The ears appear to be off center from each other, and angled slightly differently by approximately two centimeters in this case, offering a three dimensional sound triangulation, similar to some avianoid predators. Making an incision around the back side of the right ear, I find a fairly small bone plate covering the inner ear, which appears humanoid normal, including the semicircular canals. The ease of removing the plate is an interesting note, especially given the normal cultural issues with surgery, as it is noted that Senti heal slowly and scar severely.

Moving back to the face, I find an unusually thick oil in the tear ducts, indicating an oil film wetted eye, which would prevent dryness in high temperature and low humidity environments. I am removing the right eye for examination, and find that it is similar in shape and fits into the skull about as well as a human eye, alongside a similarly large optic nerve. The eye is fluid filled, and appears to act as some form of oily gel. The relative clarity of this semifluid even after death indicates a high visual acuity.

In combination with the visible structures of the iris, I find a surprising level of variability in the light intake of the eye, similarly to human visual responses. I have also found a bicorneal lense pair, one ahead of, and one behind the iris, which offers an interesting level of ability to zoom in on and adjust focus on a target, again similar to an avian predator. The retina appears to be backed with a large tapetum, with no visible blood vessels or nerves above the retinal surface, which indicates no anatomical blind spot. Combined with the width of the retina across the rear arc of the directionally interior surface of the eye indicates a wide peripheral field of vision, which would normally be indicative of a prey species. Which does beg the question of what would prompt such an evolutionary response.

I have prepared a saw specifically to cut through the cranial cavity to remove the brain for dissection by our resident neurologist, and am removing the scalp, alongside samples of that for analysis of the hair follicles and attempt to determine the evolutionary requirement for a similar hair pattern and structure as other humanoids.

I have removed the top of the skull, and immediately note three large divisions of the brain. An interesting structure to be sure, but not my area of expertise. I am now rotating the body to access and remove the back of the skull, taking this opportunity to collect a sample of the cerebrospinal fluid This allows the brain and the intracranial membrane to slide out. Unfortunately tearing the spinal cord, but there is approximately a five centimeter length of the cord intact. I would have preferred the entire cord, but this will have to do. Setting it aside for examination. Now I can begin to remove and examine the spinal column. I find a humanoid norm thirty three vertebrae, and am tentatively assigning them the same patterns, though the cervical vertebrae are wide and flat, with layered bone plates protecting and supporting the cervical muscles.

The lumbar spine appears fused in some areas, which would force most of the articulation to come from the musculature of the spine, which appears fairly normal for the most part. My initial probing proves reasonably accurate, though the musculature of the upper back does suggest a higher degree of flexibility in the shoulder, able to rotate towards the back far further than other humanoids. With the floating shoulder blades detached from the humerus complex joint except by a thick, tendinous band. This would, in theory, almost allow a Senti to clap the backs of their hands together behind them, as a lateral shoulder rotation. Or allow them to have a complete shoulder rotation of two hundred lateral, and one hundred and ninety vertical degrees. This hypermobility, combined with that of the hip and leg, would allow seamless transition of grip, radius, and control of inertia through three dimensional space. Inversely, I believe I have found the reason for Koun-Chui's pain issues, especially in long term gravity. She is far too proud to admit it, but it doesn't take a doctor to see the way she stretches and moves stiffly in the mornings.

Continuing on, the spinal arch I mentioned in my initial examination is on the second lumbar vertebra, on a widened plate which seems to form an arc. I am exposing the entire right spine to confirm this… This widened plate appears to be present on every vertebra, narrowing towards the coccyx in a single arc from the point of the tail bones to the upper point of the rib cage. I am not sure what abilities this pattern would grant aside slightly lessened lateral flexibility, and is probably vestigial of some exoskeleton equipped species. To hazard a guess, the skeletal pattern of the torso appears to be capable of withstanding impacts orders of magnitude higher than the human body, and when combined with a G suit like chest musculature, would allow survival of truly impressive crushing injuries. This body, and in turn the original and our next attempt will most likely be able to survive being trapped under hundreds of times their own weight. While not comfortable and distinctly not uninjured, I don't believe severe or permanent injury would occur.

I did find another of those sensory nodules in the upper anterior shoulder. On both sides. So far the pattern holds.

I am now opening the skin of the right glute and down to the ankle in a single cut before peeling the skin away. Due to the toughness of the skin and its firm attachment, this is not easy work, nor has it been. I suspect Senti to be rather resistant to bruising, as well, but I will need to test this. I find the number of injurious tests I will have to request for her to be distasteful, but I doubt she will see it the same way. Or at least I hope she will.

Anyway, as suspected, I see a pad of fatty tissue at the buttocks and hip, normally sized glutes grouping, and the expected musculature of the thigh and lower leg as described in my initial examination. I now confirm that the femoral artery is, in fact, in the anterior inner thigh and routes across the back of the knee to go under the calf. Femoral nerve is large, with the expected cartilage globes set into the nerve at the expected hip, knee, and ankle. Moreover, the muscle under the knee cap does in fact weave into and reinforce the Achilles tendon. I am now removing the femur for study and beginning my examination of samples and removed organs.

This vivisection has so far pushed my limits and skill as a doctor, with the sheer alienness of this body. It has made me question my ability to care for this species as both a physician and as an interpersonal relationship. The fact that biology like this can not only exist, but thrive to such an extent as to have known major population centers outside the Kikyo sector poses questions about their nativity to this galaxy, knowing most other life is based on carbon interactions. It is no small wonder how something so advanced went undiscovered for so long. I will take a break for now.

End internal examination.

Sample and imagery analysis transcript

Below are listed the samples taken from the body in no particular order, alongside analysis results of each. While I do not believe many of my questions will be answered, these samples and tests should offer some further insight into this complex and surprisingly advanced life form.

• Muscular fat sleeve
The musculature is distinctly separated from the connective tissue, and packed in a thin, motile fat sleeve that allows smooth movement of the muscle across other tissues. I believe that this fatty sleeve would aid in cramp recovery and prevention by adding a level of insulation to the motor neurons, and by better lubricating the musculature. I also suspect that this was one of the primary reasons for the lack of rigor mortis in the cadaver.
  • Blood
Comprised of a hydrocarbon solvent plasma similar in composition to medical grade cell culture mineral oil, most of the oils appear to be decomposed lipids from consuming carbon based life and then processed into a form of organic petroleum. "Red" blood cells are rounded triangular in shape, with a fairly high white blood cell count and distinct lack of macrophages, with a higher concentration of hunter T cells.
  • Lymphatic fluid
Water based fluid similar in composition to an iron sulfate based human blood plasma. High concentration of immune cells and cellular waste, alongside a fairly high concentration of organic metabolites lending credence to use as a filtration medium.
  • Tears
Viscous organic petroleum, with some salt like additives achieving a high degree of cling and creep, especially on the surface of the eye. Some antimicrobial properties would prevent growth of bacteria on the eye.
  • Cerebrospinal fluid
Similar in base components to blood plasma, presenting as a low viscosity organic petroleum with high stability and low volatile content, likely useable as medical grade growth medium oil.
  • Saliva
Water based, no chemical abnormalities from humanoid normal saliva
  • Mucus
Water saturated organic polymer, similar in makeup to slimes common among some acquatic animals, likely composed of carbon organic waste.
  • Lower mandible
As theorized, tooth bed is a single overactive bone growth bed developing from a nub in the lower jaw. There is no evidence that Senti children lose teeth as they grow, and constant wear would prevent overgrowth normally. It is well observed that Senti enjoy consuming bones and other generally considered inedible organic components. Also appears that tooth grinding in sleep or as a mental stimulating exercise is normal and important in general health.
  • Abdominal wall
Seems to be a thin, fibrous tissue, but excessive volume of material and the pancreatic fold indicates potential in progress evolution of secondary abdominal cavities between the liver and stomach.
  • Skin
Surprisingly thin dermal epithelium, with very little fibrous growth indicates high elasticity. Sweat glands connected to lymphatic capillaries indicating shared water resource and water based decomposition of blood regulatory hormones as scents, and thus a highly advanced pseudopheremonal system.
  • Hair
The hairs are surprisingly closer to the sweat glands and lack a high degree of sebum production. Combined with the high degree of fibrous structures of the hair, it’s likely that Senti hair is designed to wick sweat away from the skin and provide more surface area for evaporative cooling, and for pseudopheremone spread. Senti are typically as well furred as other humanoids, with body hair being short and thin, but the hair of the head and pubic regions being thicker and coarser, indicating a fairly standard mammalian heritage.
  • Esophagus lining
Confirmed presence of directional hairs preventing and filtering foodstuffs during “burping” and redirecting solid and liquid stomach contents back to the stomach. Meanwhile allowing gaseous byproducts to leave the stomach, allowing high service area and efficient digestion.
  • Stomach lining
Shows evidence of a cocktail of industrial solvents and chemicals, several of which are produced in the stomach itself. These include formic acid, hydrochloric acid, and phosphoric acid. This cocktail, combined with the bone growths inside the stomach and muscular stomach wall would allow the grinding of hardened foodstuffs beyond teeth.
  • Reproductive system
The Senti reproductive system is surprisingly versatile, with both males and females utilizing a prostate gland to produce large volumes of seminal fluid, and both sex presentations utilizing large numbers of gametes. The male reproductive system in particular has many anatomical similarities to the female, with distinct usage of internal testes connected to fallopian tube like structures to transport the sperm to a large, muscular pouch. This pouch seems to act as a single seminal vascule, which can deliver a large volume of fluid by body size comparison. This fluid is delivered by valve into the urethra and out through the tip of the penis. The vaginal canal on males is not underdeveloped as previously thought, and can actually produce a significant volume of lubricating fluid during sexual activity.

Conversely, scans and injectable camera modeling of the female reproductive system show enlarged fallopian tubes with a high fluid volume, valved off from a primitive uterine pouch. The ovum count of Senti females, while lower than the sperm count of males, is surprisingly high, indicating constant production and relative hormonal independence.

This indicates that while the sexual acts of Senti would be very similar to other humanoids and by extension most mammalian species, they appear to be a “two seed” species, in that both partners have to achieve climax for pregnancy to occur. I suspect they also do not use a true pregnancy, and operate more in an oviviporous capacity, where the female will carry multiple eggs internally until hatching and live birth. This also indicates that most of the weaker genetics and any embryos with catastrophic deformities would not be simply ejected, but reabsorbed and utilized to form temporary organs such as a uterine lining, placenta, et cetera during pregnancy. Dr. Soren does claim that this process takes about 18 months on average and that Senti women tend to bear larger clusters of children as they age, enjoying three centuries or more of adult fertility. She was also quite informative on the acts involved and her own experience with pregnancy and child raising.
  • Cartilage nodule inertia sense
Interior fluid is extremely low density, with a suspended particulate, and is thus compressible. These nodules are lined on all surfaces with pressure sensitive neural tissue that allows differential detection of acceleration. Due to these nodules found on every joint, I suspect immediate orientation and detection of rotation to be a primary sense.
  • Nervous tissue
Shows an aluminum oxide doped liquid crystal myelin sheath, with lines of nonextension forming semisolid crystal masses, and the myelin solidifying in the presence of oxygen. This indicates a high degree of neuroplasticity and solid form neuropreservation, allowing the body to heal rapidly and completely from nerve damages.
  • Muscular tissue
Samples confirm what was found in the initial dissection, with most fibers pulling on strings of cartelage or fibrous banding tissue that overlaps between connection points of the muscle. Similar to interleaved pages, this makes the muscle very capable of locking against external forces, but respond smoothly to internal. This fibrous tissue was also where I found the predominant numbers of motor neuron tissue, and thus suspect the muscle fibers to have a high degree of precision of contraction. Koun-Chui’s muscles in particular, when stimulated, had a surprisingly high degree of “fast twitch” fibers, indicating a high initial strength with a long recovery time, and a low endurance. Other castes likely have very different muscle fiber ratios.
  • Long bone
Large crystals are arranged longitudinally, providing a high tensile strength and high flexibility, whilst maintaining a surprising degree of strength. Likely a permanent bend in said bone will affect the Senti mobility far less than a break as would be common with other materials. When the chemical analysis comes back as high purity but low grade steel, an implication is made that these also act as an iron bank for other metabolic processes. Opening the bone reveals marrow, which has been sampled.
  • Small bone
Similar in structure to the long bones, but solid all the way through. Osteoblast and osteoplast sampling showed similar function to humanoid normal, and collecting more readily at edges and points of the skeletal crystalline structure.
  • Marrow
This simple blood manufacturing organ seems relatively normal in structure and function, if adapted to Senti blood chemistry. It also appears to act as a breeding ground for bloodborne bacterial symbiotes.
  • Kidney
While the deep interior of the kidney appears fairly normal to humanoid standard, operating on the standard hypoxic acidic osmosis filtration method, the structures here and trace fluids show that the fluid being filtered is mostly lymphatic fluid. Moreover, the outer layers showing high blood flow and capillary action indicate that the capillary membrane and water osmosis to filter the blood into the lymphatic fluid, thus removing most cellular respiration wastes from the blood stream for further filtration deeper in the kidney.
  • Adrenal gland
Found next to the heart and situated between the ventricle aorta, the adrenal gland appears to produce a variety of epinephrine related hormones, and based on nervous structures found within, can eject any of these at will directly into the bloodstream at the center of the pumping mass, which would indicate a faster adrenal response than human derived species.
  • Liver tissue
The liver seems to be metabolically similar in main function to the kidneys, though in this case the opposite, taking water dissolved nutritional fluids from the intestine and stomach, neutralizing PH, and assembling fatty microglobules to contain nutrients to dissolve in the bloodstream. It also seems to metabolize toxins and medicines into usable nutrients.
  • Eye tissue
The ocular fluid is comprised of an unusually clear organic petroleum, and otherwise matches the initial observations. I also note the rod and cone arrangement of the retina to be humanoid normal, with very little deviation. Perhaps a slightly shifted base diameter of the cone indicating perception of near infrared, and a lowered perception of violet wavelengths. Though the longer cone structure indicates a quatrachromic vison, thus capable of actively seeing in red, yellow, green, and blue, as opposed to humanoid normal red, green, and blue.
  • Lung tissue
Micromuscular tissue around the bronchi indicates an active ability to restrict airflow, likely for oxygen concentration and blood oxygen saturation regulation. The nervous tissue found on the bronchi leads back to the vagus nerve, with a large meyelinoid crystal along the carotid artery. This indicates an ability to monitor and respond to oxygen content in the atmosphere.
  • Cardiovascular imagery
Cardiovascular system has a striking degree of similarity to humanoid norm, in both complexity and structure. Assume a normal blood pressure of 120/60, and a resting heart rate between 40 and 60 BPM, with above 100 indicating panic. Arrhythmia should set in between 170 and 200 BPM, or blood pressure above 210/100.
  • Sinus and olfactory imagery
The olfactory images show a humanoid normal progression of six sinus cavities, bilaterally symmetrical across the face. The olfactory canals show no unique complexity or structuring, with a similar sensory density to humans and human derived species, indicating no abnormal degree of sensitivity. Though in the upper anterior sinus cavities, I see some unusual ridging, similar to an underdeveloped version of a Separa vomeronasal organ. This is likely the method for which the pseudopheromones affect Senti consciousness, though I will have to communicate with Dr. Sansinnia about that, and discuss the imagery.

Post examination comments

From these observations so far and the known stunting of the evolutionary rate, I would normally expect this species to begin to have appeared one to two million years ago as a baseline hominid evolved to the rigors of space flight, however, the balancing of organ systems leaves a lot of question about what sort of life form could have appeared before, and what kind of death world could have had such pressures to form something like this. I will admit I am somewhat out of my depth in the assessment of such assertions. Further, the cultural use of burial steel, I.E, the melting down of their dead as building material leaves very few, if any extant fossilized precursors to the modern species. Moreover, there is no known home world and a lot of mythology surrounding the homeworld's destruction in an induced supernova by a hostile entity. It is quite possible that many of my questions posed here do not have answers, anymore. This is again partially due to half a million years of recorded isolationism and cultural stagnation leading to regression of technologies that did not see use in such environments.

I would recommend deep searches of the oldest parts of Shuristan's grand library for records of this, and for intact information on precursors, however, do not expect much of the data to be discernable, especially without the assistance of groups specializing in ancient and dead languages. I expect any remaining information to be fragmentary or contradictory, and I do not think that this will be an easy process, but absolutely necessary in the pursuit to enhance the Senti body for Star Army use.

I will, however, on a personal note, state this. I am extremely glad that the Senti way of life has been limited to nomadicism and colonization of interstellar space. If the Senti chose to go to war, their numbers alone, not even counting the resilience and adaptability of their bodies, would make them a highly tenacious opponent. The Senti are technologically advanced and highly intelligent in several ways, and have been proven to be highly adaptive and aggressive in combat service to the Star Army. The Senti civilization has suffered half a million years of isolation, stagnation, and regression that has left them a husk and shadow of their former empire, diluted by time and mortality.

Moreover, I went into this examination with the wholehearted belief that Senti are a naturally evolved organism, and while I find several features and adaptations of an evolved species, including problems and inefficiencies that would be fatal developmental issues in the design of such a species, I can no longer confirm them to be entirely organic. I cannot guess as to what they were designed for, but I cannot claim that they were entirely evolved. I will have to share this dictation with Taii Sanssinia for her thoughts on this. I will email her the files in the morning.

I expect that memory transcripts from Senti ST data to be highly reliant on sensations such as touch and hearing, with an intense emotional and thought pattern interference and an unusual level of body sensory detail. This is inherently opposed to normal Nekovalkyrja and human memory transcript reliance on sight and sound, with minimal secondary input, and training using Senti memory transcription and digitization could be an intense experience that may not be suitable for most people. I would recommend against using such experiences in training without extensive filtering and experimentation.

End transcript.

These people are fucking weird. I need a fuckin’ drink.”

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back