• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Senate: Defeated #77 - Proposal for Unified Salvaging Regulations

FM

Inactive Member
Senator Alphonse rose to speak. Though he didn't show it, he was incredibly nervous at his first proposed act of government. It wasn't terribly daring, but it certainly had a chance of failing and tarnishing his current political reputation. But to a certain extent, it had to be done.

"Members of the house, as you are no doubt aware, the number of salvage ships operating in the Empire has skyrocketed within the past year. With our forces spread out in the war effort, there are few left to patrol our own space."

"Some salvagers are honorable, exploring the unclaimed depths of space. Some are opportunists, cleaning up after the field of battle. Some are little more than pirates, 'salvaging' what is left of their prey. But one thing is common for all of them - they operate largely without regulation, and what regulations do exist are local in nature."

"My proposal involves a committee being formed on the subject, as I am not the one to write the regulations. I can suggest some, however: limitations on the armarment of salvage use vessels, taxes on goods salvaged, a ban on salvaging in military systems, a 'no-salvage period' after a battle has taken place in a certain area, among others. I am sure the senate can come up with many more."

"As such, I have displayed the proposal for your review."

Maximillian Alphonse said:
Proposal for Unified Salvaging Regulations

Purpose:
1. For the safety of the Empire's spacefaring vessels
2. For the protection of continued economic growth that comes with spacejunk recovery
3. For the protection of military technology that is left on the field of battle

Proposal:
1. A committee is formed made up of senate members, corporate representatives, and other various affected persons, who will write up a series of regulations for salvaging in Yamataian space.
2. The regulations are voted on by the senate.
3. In the event that the regulations pass, the committee is dissolved.
4. In the event that the regulations do not pass, the committee reconvenes and writes up a new series of regulations, taking the Senate's suggestions into consideration.
5. In the event that the regulations do not pass three times in a row, the committee is dissolved.

"Salvage vessels are useful to our economy and help clean up space. But there should always be limits to what such can do. I hope you vote accordingly."

Maximillian sat down, removing his glasses and wiping the sweat off his forehead. He took his drink in his hand, sipped, and waited. This would be a long day.

(Done. Since pirates and salvagers will play a larger role soon, it would probably be a good idea that people recognize it IC. The "committee" would be a setting discussion thread, in all likelihood.)

The Lorath senator looks the proposal over and thinks.

"We will abstain for now. We wish to looks this over further before handing a decision, if that is all right."

"Is no one going to vote on this issue? It's incredibly important to the economy and the safety of the citizens." Alphonse was "miffed", but didn't show it - however, his glasses were off. Never a good sign.

The Lorath senator looked at Alphonse.

"By technical rights, there has been a vote handed in for this. Your own. Please don't rush the rest of us, sir."

"It's been quite a long time already, Senator. I am aware that my proposal has placed my vote in the positive, but it's an empty victory if no one chooses to challenge it."

"There's not much of a point in a law requiring laws to be created. Why not just create the law itself?" explained Hoshi no Iori's Nekovalkyrja. "I vote NO for this proposal, since it serves no purpose."

"I must agree with the delegate from Hoshi no Iori, though I am concerned for her abilities at using 'english.' We of Lor vote no as well."

Senator Shears had been sitting is his seat listening to the current goings on without much interest. He finaly decided that he should say something perhaps if only to keep himself from falling asleep in the room.

"Tami wishes to abstain from voting for the time being, we've not heard any particularly convincing arguments as of yet".

Maybe someone will say something interesting soon I hope, he thought as he slid back into his seat.

Vax kept his mouth shut. Writing up regulations for salvage operations? That sounded like work.

(OOC: Someone should write up some regulations for salvage operations though. Seriously.)

"Lawmaking is complex. Such a law, I believe, requires the interaction of more than just the senate. I urge you, Representative for Hoshi no Iori, to reconsider your vote."

(OOC: It should likely be something discussed in the Setting Discussion form, but it could use IC recognition. This law would affect a lot of things IC. Basically, salvagers won't get a free ride, especially if they're just pirates who happen to call themselves salvagers. It'll provide some nice RP friction, too.)

(Addendum: Also, Wes' senator needs a name.)

Chujo Kotoku remained quiet until she finished reviewing the proposal. "I must agree with my counterpart from Hoshi no Iori. Why not just come forward with the laws you wish to propose, rather than wasting our time with the creation of committees and redundant policies ?â€

Alphonse sighed. One would think the Senate would be more open to deliberation rather than rash judgement and shortsighted laws. "Motion to close, then. I won't get anywhere, it seems."

( OOC: Thread has been made for discussion of making actual laws rather than a proposal *to* make laws: https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3598 )

(Addendum: Also, the reason I did the committee thing rather than just write up laws myself was: a) I don't think I could write up fair laws myself for such a wide ranging issue, but I felt it required regulation, b) I'm from Canada, where our government does this all the time, c) Failed or not, it still shows that there is IC concern about the increase in piracy and salvage, and d) It was good experience for me.)

The Chujo said whole-heartedly "Taiie seconds the motion to close."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back