• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

A few things on my mind

Sunny D

🌟 Site Supporter
1. I have been lead to believe that there are no man portable weapons (ie not without power armor, and probably not counting the Yamatai equivalent of a panzerfaust) that can defeat the carapace of an Advanced-type Mishhuvurthyar. Is this the case? If so what is there DR as this is not stated in the wiki.
2. The Aether Pistol entry in the wiki mentions if it is fired by a person without power armor, it can cause injury and death to the user (iirc). I've not seen this mentioned in any other PA portable Aether weapons, but it does seem logical that these weapons would be harmful to unshielded operators.
3. Given the previous two are correct seems there is a significant hole in Yamatai's capabilities as I don't believe everyone in the service is PA certified.

Any thoughts on these?

And then two heavy NSP shots to its face Saving Private Ryan (feat. Tiger Tank) style doesn't work out and they're turned into MishhuBurger.
Yeah, this, but I guess what I have been trying to say is that in my narrative reasoning, exactly like with the caged bug, it's not so much that the two shots to the face wouldn't do it, rather it's those two shots aren't going to hit it square in the face like you want it to before you're in tentacle range, even with Neko-brain-reflexes-cojones-training, especially without IES targeting and aiming assistance like you'd have in a PA. You need that whole squad unloading because that massed fire is how you're going to get enough shots to land in the right spots.

Last edited:
I thought it was just Recoil that would injure the shooter.
It puts off so much heat and radiation it injures the shooter, recoil can injure the shooter, recoil can make the weapon so unmanageable you can't hit anything with it, it can be so big and bulky you can't aim and use it right even as a superstrong neko even without siginifcant felt recoil, you might need a second superstrong neko or three to carry the power source and another one or two to carry the tripod, etc. There's all kinds of reasons, some that don't even let you get to the point of injuring yourself by using it at all. And then we have talked about it's fine there's a single shot man portable antitank rocket, because that's not a weapon it's a round of ammo, kinda the same thing as a hardpoint on a fighter.

I'm thinking I'll write an IC white paper from the perspective of a character I'm brainstorming. If its not for an active RP I don't need to do a full bio or anything, yeah?

I think it's important to remember that DR doesn't really matter as more than a guide. We don't play like some tabletop session where the player is trying to solve a puzzle refereed by an objective GM. It's more like traditional roleplaying where the GM is taking you through a scenario pulled out of their mind and fudges every roll based on what feels good, and only uses the "rules lite" stats to keep everything logical.
I think that if people take anything away from this thread, it's that this is really how DR is used "in practice".

It plays a fairly important role in how we write up stuff like ships and power armor and mechs and tanks, but beyond that, once things hit the roleplay half of the site, it really all depends on how the GM feels, and the tiers mostly exist to keep things relatively consistent most of the time.

I think that if people take anything away from this thread, it's that this is really how DR is used "in practice".

It plays a fairly important role in how we write up stuff like ships and power armor and mechs and tanks, but beyond that, once things hit the roleplay half of the site, it really all depends on how the GM feels, and the tiers mostly exist to keep things relatively consistent most of the time.
Speaking as a fairly new player, it is handy to know what to expect from each weapon and have a solid threat profile of an enemy going in, however I understand that it is ultimately up to the discretion of the GM.

Saying that, not all new players might get this, so maybe putting the THIS IS JUST A GUIDE, GM'S HAVE THE ULTIMATE SAY ON THE EFFECTIVENESS OF A WEAPON in bold probably wouldn't hurt.

Speaking as a fairly new player, it is handy to know what to expect from each weapon and have a solid threat profile of an enemy going in, however I understand that it is ultimately up to the discretion of the GM.
DRv3 fills that role, it's a pretty good handy approximate guide of how much damage a gun will do if you get a nice solid hit in with it, and roughly how hard it is to kill a thing, but depending on your GM things can be more or less lethal. Some stuff just really depends on the tone your GM is going for, but DRv3 will generally always be a pretty good representation of the relative killing power of different weapons, and the relative survivability of different things.

It will pretty much always be the case that you can rely on a gun rated to kill light power armor (tier 4) to kill light power armor pretty effectively, for example, or that as a guy in a tier 8 fighter or mecha you'll be able to survive more damage than the little tier 4 power armors you might be covering while they board an enemy ship.

I think that the general purpose of DRv3 is very well stated by the last stage of its introductory section; it adds scale and perspective mostly.
Keep that in mind as you read this article. Be it weapons, protective means or various vehicles, each article usually has a wealth of information to offer. SADRv3 is meant to add scale and perspective to those articles, but it does not demand — that is up to the narrative between Game Masters and the players in their care.

Hey Sunny D, now that the GP-2 was updated, I was wondering if you think it would be a good PDW for the purposes you were talking about earlier in this thread:

If you think so, I could put it back into Star Army service and look into making/commissioning new art for it (something a little nicer than my old sketch).

Hey Sunny D, now that the GP-2 was updated, I was wondering if you think it would be a good PDW for the purposes you were talking about earlier in this thread:

If you think so, I could put it back into Star Army service and look into making/commissioning new art for it (something a little nicer than my old sketch).

The PDW was just an example of the development mindset I was thinking of. NATO identified an issue (VDV paratroopers hitting the rear echelon) and attempted to address it. I sent you a PM (that was very TL:DR) that explains what and why I was thinking.

Long story short, shaped charges. Specifically launched 25mm HEAT grenades. Maybe we give them gyrojet casing and go 40k. Would have severe downsides in a CQB situation still.

Tier 2 wouldn't cut it for my understanding.

But look, happy to leave it. Its a narrative thing I understand, and since I found Type 31 explosives I can make do with that.

Okay, and feel free to improve on the explosives, they could use some more development as you've seen! In particular it might make sense to have them mobilized with drones and increased the ability to target them using automation.

Okay, and feel free to improve on the explosives, they could use some more development as you've seen! In particular it might make sense to have them mobilized with drones and increased the ability to target them using automation.
I'll resend the PM. I got the drones covered.
Viewer discretion advised:

RPG-D RPGfix
Back