• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Implemented An Award Ribbon for Inventing Things

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
I clicked on the backlinks to the character sheet for Koyama while I looked atthe new art for her when I saw that she had invented Kinugoshi-ko material. It occured to me that this is an important accomplishment that the Star Army would want to recognize. But there's currently no appropriate medal for that. This idea/suggestion is for me or another interested party to make a wiki page and accompanying ribbon image for an inventor award for coming up with a technology for the Star Army to use. Perhaps it could be awarded by SARA?

If you like this idea, please upvote it and I'll make it happen.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I mean, isn't that what achievement/commendation medals are for? Can be use more broadly instead of something too narrowly focused and forgotten about.

I'm not sure we have a generic commendation either. But I figure this is a good way to reward people who make wiki article contributions.

Should there be one for military-based contributions? Or simply general? I know we mentioned SARA.

Last edited:
I think I put together some "Innovation Awards" back in the day for SARA to give out, but I don't think they ever got approval / got transferred from wip. It also included awards for being part of a successful field test etc etc.

As part of the Innovations Awards scheme, companies outside the Star Army of Yamatai who provide a new technology that is later adopted by the Star Army of Yamatai may apply to receive a platinum plaque from the Acquisitions Division. It is shaped as a hinomaru. On the back is inscribed, “For providing the future.”

As part of the Innovations Awards scheme, individuals who come up with a new technology that is later adopted by the Star Army of Yamatai may apply to receive a platinum belt buckle from the Research Division. It is shaped as a Star Army Type 35 Belt buckle and can be used in the same capacities. On the back is inscribed, “For dreaming the future.”

As part of the Innovations Awards scheme, individuals who make the final prototype for a new technology that is later adopted by the Star Army of Yamatai may apply to receive a solid gold caliper with a stand from the Research Division. It is entirely functional and is incribed with the text, “For building the future”.

As part of the Innovations Awards scheme, individuals who take part in a successful field test of a technology that is later adopted by the Star Army of Yamatai may apply to receive a lapel pin from the Testing Division. This is shaped in the design of the Division's insignia and cast in gold. It can be worn on the formal Star Army Duty Uniform, Type 42, traditionally above the ribbons. On the back is inscribed, “For bringing the future.”

Source:
Star Army Research Administration on Star Army Space Roleplay

I've gone ahead and moved the approved WIP page to the active page. I'll make some IC post(s) to announce the change if that works. If anyone wants one of the awards, they can probably ask for such on their Orders page, or be recommended for one by their superior. Does that sound good? @Wes

I'm still interested in an award ribbon that can go where all the other awards go on Star Army uniforms.

While my Itatski Sachiko didn't create a new material, she created new tech that is being used so i'm interested in her getting an award like this too.

To clarify, awards already exist for these, if you read about the Innovation Awards on SARA's page. However, they are items such as a special belt buckle or a lapel pin. I feel they're a little more flavourful than ribbons. There are 4 different awards for the 4 different ways you can contribute, so bear that in mind Wes if you're planning on getting rid of the flavour awards in preference of ribbons

It's like how you can go to advanced cavalry school and be allowed to wear a Stetson and spurs

Then have your unit tell you to take that off until you "earn" it at a unit Spur Ride.

Also, I think Wes wanted the ribbon for the ribbon rack. I was thinking of making an achievement medal and commendation medal anyways. I just haven't gotten around to it yet since I lost my old ribbon template I made for the last medals I made. Have to make it from scratch again.

That's a bit annoying. I intentionally didn't make them ribbons in the first place. Part of the reason was to have some variety. They're not 'military awards' in the same time Combat Lifesaver or the Red Tessen are. Having (up to 4) ribbons on your chest for something not related to combat prowess sounds like a false flag. Either way, creating a technology and getting it accepted is a hard to accomplish, takes aptitude and an extended period of time to do rather than participating a single fight/mission. Giving someone a different colour belt buckle (which SAINT do just because they can btw) or a pin is more visual than one more strip of colour, I think. That's just my honest view on the situation - they were intentionally not supposed to be ribbons.

It's alright, I seriously think what I plan can cover all bases if Wes really wants that addition. Would be nice to reward people for doing good that doesn't neatly fit into an existing award.

Presently ribbons are only worn with the Type 35 Class A (formal) uniform.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back