• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Suggestion Build a Library of Tasks & Skills

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This suggestion is to greatly flesh out documentation for the Star Army of Yamatai, and perhaps other factions, as time permits, to include a list of tasks its members are expected to know how to perform, in order to promote consistency in the RP and to provide players with resources on how to deal with various situations their characters are in. For example, a task could be: "evaluate a casualty" or "call for orbital fire support from a starship." Some tasks could be basically lifted from real-world resources like US military manuals which are typically public domain.

We would start with the most basic tasks (render a hand salute) and most common tasks (don a power armor) and just organically add them as we come across situations in RP where it might help to document steps to do something (start an aether reactor, conduct damage control on a starship). As the list of tasks and skills grows over time, use them as chapters of a "soldier's handbook" and for training courses and create a sort of virtual basic training for players. MOS-specific skills and tasks could be linked on the MOS pages as part of the skills sections. Some of these already exist in a basic format, for example, on the medic MOS page:

1699933264150.png

The point is to both help players with a useful tool and to continue making the Star Army the most detailed and proficient fictional military force on the internet.

Out of curiosity, would the majority of Star Army field and technical manuals not going over something classified be public domain as well?

The Nepleslian doctor/medic occupation was the perfect example I think of something like this in that it made basic examples of what was expected/could be done in such regards and unlike some articles didnt feel bloated with word-soup just to make it look longer but was just really useful!

We lost that article due to a certain ligma-joke sounding name unfortunately but it was one of the better ones and encapsulated I think what you want to do here so i'm all for it (Voted up~)

Especially since Neps occupations were mostly thrown up haphazardly by myself to preserve them and some trickledown to fixing those someday would be nice! (especially since chat GPT didnt exist when I was doing all that!)

Out of curiosity, would the majority of Star Army field and technical manuals not going over something classified be public domain as well?
Works posted to Star Army are the property of their creators and licensed to Star Army for Star Army usage. I can't make people's contributions become public domain. This applies even if some of the content that the author used is from public domain sources.

That makes sense. Though I should have been more specific. I meant IC, like some militia trains like they are Star Army Rangers because they read FM whatever on Star Army Recon ops. Like how some people do with the US Army material published. I have been recently reading on combined arms.

Some of them may be, but probably not too much of the tactical stuff because we don't want to basically share our training with the Mishhu, random extremist groups, et cetera. I guess it will be on a case-by-case basis.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back