• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Suggestion Issue with Yamatai Education pages

Sunny D

🌟 Site Supporter
This question has already been answered by Wes, will attach screen shot.

Basically I was looking at the education timeline and in the current articles about Yamatai education the totals come out to be 18 years, as standard for most western nations of our modern day earth.

The issue is minimum enlistment age for your normal NH-31 is 21, so there is a 3 year gap between high school and when someone can enlist under this frame work.

Wes believes this is due to the age of the articles, being implemented before the time conversion was properly calculated. 18.1 IRL years = 21 YSE years. The intention is to prevent child soldiers, not provide 3 years after high school for... I don't know... self discovery? Too short for an undergrad degree.

I suggest keeping the fix simple, going from 6-3-3 to 7-4-4 (Primary, Secondary junior, Secondary Senior)

These are the offending articles

Screenshot 2023-10-25 201920.png

It's always been easiest for me to convert any age-related things in Yamatai using the calendar page's table. Maybe the least obtrusive solution for each article would be to footnote the first mention of student age on each wiki page to say something like ((Age information on this page is listed in standard years, see: [[faction:yamatai:calendar#irlearth_years]] for information on conversion to Yamataian years)).

I'm suggesting this method because it keeps a relatable basis for readers, who can then do their conversion themselves. And doubly because Nashoba isn't around to give his input on DoE, while @Toshiro also seems MIA right now for Tsubomi. I think those pages that are updated to use Yamataian years in default still parenthetically mention Yamataian years are different so that, at the end of the day, people know their characters are still ultimately the same temporal age as they would be without the conversion.

the gap years are generally daigaku (vocational school), or cram school for people going to university. I think the Tsubomi article goes in more detail about that. And I thought the minimum age was 20, just like you can join the military in the US at 17.

the gap years are generally daigaku (vocational school), or cram school for people going to university. I think the Tsubomi article goes in more detail about that. And I thought the minimum age was 20, just like you can join the military in the US at 17.

From the article: Tsubomi School Life and Curriculum on Star Army Space Roleplay

"Tsubomi City requires its youth to complete high school unless enlisting in the Star Army. "
"Unlike other places on Yamatai, Upper Secondary is a mandatory element of the education system in Tsubomi with the exception of specific criteria. Those enlisting in the Star Army or attending a five-year College of Technology such as Kyousou Institute of Technology may be able to get exemptions, as can certain apprenticeships and internships."

Which considering their structure of 6-3-3-4 (Primary, lower, higher, tertiary), would actually put them at 15 for enlistment.

There is also the following line in the high school section of the Tsubomi

"Of course, this includes an effort to prepare students enlisting in the Star Army for the Kyoto War College as well, to aid them in attaining officer standing in the future. "

And according to: Kyoto War College on Star Army Space Roleplay

"The Kyoto War College is a Star Army Training Administration institution that accepts senior enlisted transitioning to officer ranks; personnel selected for officer candidacy programs and senior officers looking to expand their skill sets into different areas that will lead towards some sort of undergraduate or graduate degree. "

Which tells me that KWC doesn't allow direct admission for civilians but for E4s and above transitioning to commissioned officer ranks. There is also mention of special training for commed officers training for more intense leadership roles, but nothing about it being an Officer Candidate School for GSOs.

As for enlistment age: Star Army Academy on Star Army Space Roleplay

"To join, students must fulfil the normal eligibility requirements for Star Army Recruiting such as minimum age (usually 21 Yamataian Calendar years)"

"For most species, including humans, this is 21 Yamataian Calendar years (18.1 Earth years)"

It's always been easiest for me to convert any age-related things in Yamatai using the calendar page's table. Maybe the least obtrusive solution for each article would be to footnote the first mention of student age on each wiki page to say something like ((Age information on this page is listed in standard years, see: [[faction:yamatai:calendar#irlearth_years]] for information on conversion to Yamataian years)).

I'm suggesting this method because it keeps a relatable basis for readers, who can then do their conversion themselves. And doubly because Nashoba isn't around to give his input on DoE, while @Toshiro also seems MIA right now for Tsubomi. I think those pages that are updated to use Yamataian years in default still parenthetically mention Yamataian years are different so that, at the end of the day, people know their characters are still ultimately the same temporal age as they would be without the conversion.

They are indeed laid out that way. Sounds good, I agree

6-3-3-4 would put them at 22 since they start learning at 6 years old. Feel sorry for the kids born after the cut off date.

6-3-3-4 would put them at 22 since they start learning at 6 years old. Feel sorry for the kids born after the cut off date.
the 4 at the end is tertiary education, IE University and College

I could see a prep school before the academy but it would be serious time overhead for your officer training. I think mandatory PHD level education for your officer corps is a bit much, especially considering a science course in SAAMMS gives you fairly comprehensive knowledge of all fields of science (Unless I miss read that)

Mayamae Officer School is the direct commission officer program (OCS). Candidates have a degree already.

SAAMMS is a prestigious military college that young people get a political appointment from a Senator or the Empress to attend (US Naval Academy).

KWC is mostly for command-level courses (Naval War College) but also offers in-service correspondence education to level up enlisted to officer ranks. Sometimes new midshipmen get this training, too, if they have connections (has happened with Ketsurui and Motoyoshi characters).

Let's not forget the SSS Gakuen Academy. Degree granter with a 3 year service obligation.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back