• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Life in Japan (Q&A, General thoughts Thread)

Tom

So I've been living in Japan for like 7 or 8 years, and it never dawned on me, playing in a community with a heavy Japanese theme, to actually offer some advice and perspectives on the country I call home.

Lots of people want to come to Japan for a vacation or perhaps to teach English. I can help with both those things, and other stuff as well.

I already know some people in the SARP community live in Japan, too, so why don't we make this thread here a cool place to ask questions, share thoughts, etc about this wacky country.

Woo!

This is an awesome thread idea, Tom! Thanks for posting this.

I guess my first question is, what's it like being gaijin-san? I've heard there's a subtle but powerful racism there because it's such an ethnically homogenous country.

Also, what are the American foods you miss most?

I actually intend on teaching English in Japan, once I get done with college in six years (Graduating High School in a couple of weeks, going to get an Associates to become a Paramedic, then probably go up to Washington to get a degree in English, minoring in Japanese... At least that's how I'll hope it'll play out.) Or even becoming a professional translator, working for businesses.

I'm in love with the culture, I think. In an honest way not focusing on Anime/Games/whatever. I not only like Samurai and Anime, but I think the language is just... Cool. And different. English is Subject-verb-object "I threw the red ball." Japanese is "I the red ball threw." I know it's probably not a unique format for sentences, but when I learned this a few years back it blew my mind.

...None of that really matters, and I should get a question out.

Do you struggle with the ambiguity of Japanese culture and language? I've heard the story of the Japanese boss telling an American worker that his desk didn't seem very tidy, meaning for him to clean his desk. The American thought it was just an observation, and the next day was confused when his boss was angry about it.

I guess my first question is, what's it like being gaijin-san? I've heard there's a subtle but powerful racism there because it's such an ethnically homogenous country.

Also, what are the American foods you miss most?

It's hard to answer the classic "gaijin" question. I think it really depends on your race and skin color. As a white American male, I tend to get treated well, but at an arm's distance when it comes to more serious matters such as dating, stuff with the police, and business.

People are courteous and polite most of the time, but they will definitely make assumptions about you, sometimes to your face. Stuff like 'oh, hey, I didn't know you could use chopsticks so well' or 'Wow, you can speak Japanese? Amazing!' It's odd, because they sound like backhanded compliments, but it's more an honest effort to put out a polite demeanor for the sake of social etiquette/order.

The thing that bugs me the most is if i use Japanese and people reply to me in very broken English. That's not cool.

I miss BBQ pork sandwiches the most. Actually, any good sandwiches.

Do you struggle with the ambiguity of Japanese culture and language? I've heard the story of the Japanese boss telling an American worker that his desk didn't seem very tidy, meaning for him to clean his desk. The American thought it was just an observation, and the next day was confused when his boss was angry about it.

I do sometimes, but I'm a lot better at recognizing the 'true intent' behind statements than I was a few years ago. Japanese people are very indirect, and the story you told me happens quite often in this country.

A lot of understanding Japanese culture is reading between the lines, so to speak. What isn't being said sometimes is more important that what is said.

It's strange, but fun. You sure do learn how to read body language and the atmosphere of a room after a while in Japan. :)

Japans supposed fascination with vending machines intrigues me.

What's the strangest vending machine item you've seen over there, Boss Tom?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back