• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: ISC Phoenix [Mission 3] - Rocking the Casbah

Cargo Bay

"Trained? What are you, a year old? Two? There should still be some NCO keepin' you in line, Hei." Shayla scowled down at the girl in the Mindy. "The hardware ain't important, it's who's usin' it that matters. I could pull you outta that tin can with my bare hands if I had to, kid." She just threw her hands up in disgust as the Neko continued past her. "Ya know what? Nevermind, I ain't in charge of any Neko or <something short and possibly Spanish, with a bit of gargling> anymore." The giantess shook her head before pointing at Luca. "You get to take responsibility for this one."

She stomped her way into the ship with the others, picking a seat as far from the Mindy as she could manage. She continued to grumble to herself as everyone piled in and got settled, although her mood improved a bit as she saw Echelon's spare body joining them. "Hey, I saved yah a seat." Shayla grinned wide, patting her lap before guffawing.

Soon the short trip was finished, and she was rushing back out of the ship along with everyone else. "Alright, who's goin' where? We got a good map?" Most of the hostages were obviously being held in the one main area, but there might be stragglers spread throughout the ship. Both pirates and innocents. Shayla looked between Luca and Echelon, knowing he was in charge but she seemed to handle the info.

Seiren's LEAF was not made for antigravity. That much was certain. So when he leapt from ship to ship in the air bubble, he had to be veeeeeery, veeery careful not to throw himself off into the void and suffocate. Thankfully, no such thing occurred and the metal hull of the Frame connected with their landing zone easily, and after he landed (albeit sideways), he adjusted the itasha robo upright and took place at Luca's side.

"I wanna take point!" he declared, pulling out a rifle and its plasma-cap munitions from his mech's back.

Soruk hopped out of the shuttle and didn't like what he found upon glancing around. It was open, far more open then most places. In fact, he believed it might have been the most open place he'd ever been in, though it was followed closely by the flat desert of Gartaga. He huffed a little and continued towards where they appeared to be entering the ship. He would be able to find a far more 'comfortable' route inside the elevator shaft. Those things seemed to be brimming with maintanence ducts, just waiting to be used by a certain gartagen.

He had brought everything he had at his disposal, having only to fetch a few things from his hiding place aboard the Crimson Kestrel . With no evident resistance upon their landing and with some of the crew yelling, the blademaster sighed and shrugged, unclipping his bow and snapping it open. Blades would do very little in such an open place. The bow was better suited, if someone, or something, decided to challenge the crew. A black-tailed arrow was strung for now.

Fruna Ruica, Top Landing Pad
From what was immediately obvious, there only seemed to be one way in and out from here. However, for those in power armour like Zeta, there were airlocks on the side of the vehicle. As she trawled down the side of the ship, the closest airlock she could find was on the 4th deck. Perhaps she'd be able to direct Echelon's attention towards it to jimmy it open, try her luck with the emergency release from outside, or she could perhaps force it open herself. Anyone who was capable of producing their own gravity so they didn't go floating into space and had their own oxygen supply was welcome to go her way.

A little to the side of the main Airlock/Elevator down, there seemed to be a service lift for personnel as well, and it was currently closed, awaiting input. Luca, however seemed set on taking the most obvious way and probably down. A multi-purpose personnel/cargo elevator that was loud, obvious and had a few storage boxes at about waist height to hide behind.

The boxes didn't seem to have any labels, any description, or much reason to be there, other than that they were there, and in a vaguely circular pattern for maximum defence. Luca saw a big red button on the elevator with a down arrow on it.

Knowing that it was his obligation to get this show on the road and he was not a man to resist big red things, he balled his hand into a fist and slammed down on it.

As he looked back towards the Big Bird, he saw Aiesu, of all people, walking off of it and towards them - unarmoured and practically unarmed. "What're you doing here?" he asked as Melissa took a defensive position and the two mechs started stomping towards the centre, Seiren taking point and Cass watching his flank.

She remained quiet and seemed to be holding a pistol that'd been in the big box of sidearms, and slunk into Luca's shadow. Luca could hear her shivering with anticipation. "I keep on forgetting that you're a construct, but what are you doing here?"

"O-Oh, uhm, observation," she tittered, as she held her pistol. "Don't worry. If this construct gets injured, I'll just send another later. We're ultimately disposable, Luca."

"Uh huh..." Luca replied flatly at Aiesu holding the pistol in an ineffective cup-and-saucer fashion. He distracted himself by looking down the sights of his Battery Railgun as he stood near Seiren. He gave the gun a shake and realised that the sights were a bit loose and now off to the left again, groaning. "That doesn't explain why you're here."

She remained quiet.

"I'll take the elevator, see if I can let Zeta in and make a... D1STR4CT10N," Echelon said as she waited for the service elevator to come up, holding her IAW rifle out and giving it a shake. It had a suppressor on the front and a holographic sight, as well as jungle-style magazine tapemanship and extra rolls of tape dangling threaded through the folding stock. "Anyone else want in? We'll try and be quiet until it's too late for the pirates to about face from the others."

-

Meanwhile, near Tamamo, she found the Delsaurian person identified as Mr. Lizard Man yelling at their underlings. "I've been told by the Head Wiresss that they are coming. Bring me my ssspecial gear! I ssshall ssstay here and keep the hossstages under control."
"R-right away Sir."

Tamamo watched as he was bought some manner of gatling weapon, and what appeared to be repurposed Explosive Ordnance Disposal equipment in his size, the transparent visor replaced by a slanted metal sheet with a pair of pinhole cameras in it. A large counterweight allowed them to hold the weapon in one hand and keep it balanced. Perhaps they had incredible strength for their stout size. Tamamo watched his armour get put on piece by piece until the Delsaurian looked like a monstrous tower of a lizard.

"Yesss.... YESSS..." Mr. Lizard man cackled through a radio and speaker. "The ressst of you, kill the guesssts, take them hossstage if there are sssurvivors - maybe we can increassse our rrransssom!"
"Y-yes sir Mr. Lizard Man!"

They mobilised with a hodgepodge of different weapons into the ship and out of Tamamo's view. She still had no visual of who the 'guests' were...

Two Elevators

Seeing all the hardware crowding into the cargo lift, Shayla chose the other option. "Quiet? That's my middle name! Ronald Quiet McBelle." She barked another laugh, slapping Echelon on the back as she moved to join her, planning to head down on the smaller lift once it arrived. Hopefully the alien warrior would tag along, if he hadn't already wriggled into a maintenance tunnel somewhere when she wasn't looking.

Fruna Ruica, Main Convention Floor, Deck 3

The arrival of an unknown element seemed to be providing new data already Tamamo noted as she memorized the new name 'Head Wiress.' Having no other information aside from knowing they were in contact with the Delsaurian, she was forced to temporarily set aside the information in favour of attempting to learn what she could about the Delsaurian's 'special gear.'

Watching the events that followed with a genuinely worried expression as a large gatling gun of an unknown variety was produced, soon followed by armour of some sort. Initially judging the armour ineffective Tamamo had to remind herself that she only had visual data to work with and that there could be systems involved that were unknown to her. Once the armour was completed, Tamamo decided that the chances of her success against the enemy, even as he was left alone was rather low. She was unarmed and presently bound amid a large group of captive civilians. At present the most favourable projected scenario allowed a fifty percent chance at killing the Delsaurian, and acquiring his weapon for her own use. The collateral from such an engagement was anywhere from forty to eighty percent civilian casualties, not an acceptable result.

With her available observations completed for the moment, Tamamo lapsed back into a more passive state having determined that she would need at the very least an outside distraction to turn the situation in her favour. Hopefully whoever had arrived and alarmed her captors would prove to be at least moderately successful in their endeavours, and she could soon act.

"Feel free to use me as a shield!" Seiren told Aiesu, gesturing with one of the LEAF's arms at the machine's bulk with a bit of a flourish. He returned to a read-to-shoot stance, holding the rifle in the little mech's arms like a gangster with a tommy gun. He settled at his position at the front of the elevator with relative gusto, proud to finally be putting his machine to use again.

Soruk looked at the little elevator, then the big one. The bigger one was not an optimal choice for the assassin. It was big, loud, and generally very obvious. Especially with all the noisy armor and such. The little one wasn't much better, but it was better than the big one, and that counted for something. He could just find a duct after the others were done using it, didn't have to stay long.

He promptly collasped his bow and clipped it to his back, flashing his Rura's out a few times, "I will opt to take the... somewhat quieter route." Of course, 'quieter' was subjective, considering Echleon and Shayla were involved. Excluding Luca, they were probably the two loudest people on the entire ship. He stood at the opposite side of the door that Ech was on. If anyone WAS in the little elevator for some reason, Soruk was not going to be surprised by it.

It was good that Soruk wouldn't be surprised by the dolled-up conman slumped on the floor of the tiny elevator with a bottle of gin. The mobster raised his bottle with a smile as Soruk entered and greeted him with an endearing, "See someone else decided to takes the scenic route. Don't worry, greenskin, I makes fer a great distraction."

This, Enzo said despite the fact that Soruk was blue. Then again, he'd been called 'pinkskin' by Gartagens so frequently despite being a scarred-up snow-white son of a bitch that the whole thing seemed somehow appropriate. Either way, it was a suitable nickname for the moment.

"Just makes sure I stay alive, see?" Enzo added, before taking a quick draught of gin and going on with a booze-faced wince, "I gots t' live at least a lil' longer so's I gets to watch Melissa's ass-- yous understand."

"Count me in Echelon," replied Makari as he adjusted his shiny new GP-1 in his grip. While silent is not usually his style, he really wanted to see the reactions of the boarders when the crew of the ISC Phoenix appears out of nowhere. "I'm ready to roll out when yall are."

Fruna Ruica, Galley, Deck 2.5

Steaks sizzled on a coal grill, emitting an inviting smell of burnt meat. The high pitched whine of the galley's smoke removal fans quickly and efficiently sucked the smoke out of the space and to.... wherever it went on this damn vessel. Redrick 'Red' Callahan sighed, and idly flipped a steak over. He didn't want to be here, on this vessel, he didn't want to be cooking this steak for his fuckhead of a captain, and he sure as hell didn't want to try to go to bed with the constant bumping, grinding, and moaning the ship's deviant passengers constantly emitted, sometimes even from the crew quarters! Being the head chef on this vessel was tiring.

He shook his head, idly nudging the steak with his spatula. Nothing wrong with having a little fun, but no one here seemed to be doing their fuckin' job - everyone wanted to sneak off to the god-damned skin fairs and get a piece. At least the ingredients here were a hell of a lot better than his SAoY or NSN days. Naval food, Yamataian or Nepleslian, was uniformly awful. It took talent to unlock the nutritional value of such foods, but with the fare provided on Fruna Ruica, he could say with pride (the only thing he took in pride here) that the reason the late-night fuck sessions ran so long was because the punters were extremely well fed.

He heard the door to the captain's cabin slide open with a ssssss noise and initially thought nothing of it. Probably just the commander, wanting to see how the meal was coming. Well, they wanted a goddamned steak, they were gonna get it properly cooked, no matter how long it took. Redrick's pride didn't let him produce anything substandard.

"Get your chow in a minute boss." Redrick shouted, not turning his head away from the food. On the stove, a few pans sat on the warmer, finished and ready to be doled out (artfully, of course) on to a waiting ceramic plate.

He didn't get a response, which wasn't unusual, but he didn't hear the captain's door open again, which meant the wretched creature masquerading as the ship's captain hadn't left. Probably wanted their damn meal.

He looked behind him. "Boss, I'll get it, go an-"

His eyes widened. The ship's captain had apparently become two armed, masked gunmen, both with weapons pointed directly at him. To say that this was a surprising development was like saying there was no air in space - logically true, but failing to grasp the enormity of the situation.

"Wondering when you were gonna turn around, fatass." The man on the left spoke in a gruff accent not dissimilar to his own. Nepleslian. The other gunman tittered. Gunwoman, that was.

Redrick narrowed his eyes. "What the fuck is this?"

"A stickup, lardass." The voice came from the woman. Her accent suggested Yamataian. "The whole ship's been hijacked, didn't you hear?"

Redrick blinked. Then he looked at the broken speaker in the galley, which he had previously punched out, growing tired of the constant electronic music that blared over it. Wires stuck out from the chassis, which had been hit so hard it curved inward, turning the grey box into more of a grey cashew shape. The gunman (and woman for that matter) followed his gaze.

"Oh. Guess you didn't really hear it."

Redrick could only shrug in response. The Yamataian woman elbowed the man, who approached Redrick cautiously. "Sorry bro, but you're gonna have to come with us. You're a hostage now."

"A hostage huh?" Redrick shrugged. "Sure, I'm almost happy you idiots hijacked this fucking ship. You smelled the place?"

The gunman grinned. "Yea. Smells like gooch, the whole place."

Redrick smiled. The smile turned into a murderous grimace as the spatula whipped from the grill, sending a sizzling hot steak directly into the man's face.

Time seemed to slow, to the aging Navy cook. The woman, taken aback, racked her rifle (which was actually a shotgun, now that Red got a closer look). Lacking any other weapon, Red flung his spatula at her, pushing the gunman aside to deal with later.

The woman, out of instinct, brought her gun up to block the kitchen utensil - which proved ultimately to be her undoing. Redrick flattened her with a single, haymaking punch to the chin. The blow laid her out on the tile floor, sending her weapon skittering under a nearby counter top.

Now, to steak boy. Redrick pivoted on his heel, turning his attention to the man who had just freed himself from his opening culinary gambit. Lucky he did, too, because the gunman had just brought his Styrling Silver .45 up. Redrick closed the distance, slapping the gun out of the man's hand with a powerful, yet casually dismissive open-palm strike; as if the gunman was a child who had touched something he shouldn't have.

"Please." Redrick said. "The time for you to shoot was before I'd even seen you."

Red then grabbed the man by the forehead, slammed him into a nearby bank of industrial refrigerators and punched him in the neck, ending the poor criminal's contribution to the Fruna Ruica's capture with a single blow. Redrick shook his hand out, his knuckles aching from having dispatched the two malcontents with *extreme* prejudice.

"Buncha fuckin' clowns." Redrick spat. "Can't even hijack a fuckin' ship."

He walked over to the gunman's fallen Styrling, picking it up and checking the magazine and chamber. Fully loaded.

"Well." Red stuffed the gun in his waistband, Nepleslian gangster-style. "That's that."

"Suppose I'll see if the captain's cabin got a way of lettin' folk know we've been hijacked." Red looked to the corpse he'd just created, as if he was waiting for a response. "No objections? Good."

He strode past the woman he laid out, who stirred as he past. "Nnngh?"

"See you in the funny papers, girl." Redrick laughed. "Can't keep ol' Redrick Callahan down."

He opened the door to the capain's cabin, and was immediately greeted by the presence of three more armed, masked gunmen. Redrick stared, agape.

"Fuck m-"

A gun butt to the face ended Redrick's contribution to the armed resistance of the Fruna Ruica's crew.

-----

A while later, Redrick awoke, his hands zip tied behind his back, with the other hostages. The first sensation that hit him was the aching, post-concussion pain in his head, which caused him to shut his eyes and let out a pitiful moan; reminiscent to that of a wounded buffalo. With great effort, he moved from a lying down position to a sitting position, and leaning over, spat a gob a blood onto the ship's deck.

They'd really fucked him up after they knocked him out - he could feel bruises and contusions all over his body. Payback, he assumed. Lucky he was still alive - their boss clearly cared about hostage welfare.

For now. He looked around, seeing that the vast majority of hostages were in a similar state. There was no chance of doing anything in his state. Redrick could see numerous armed goons, and worst of all, what appeared to be a bipedal dinosaur wearing a suit of powered armor. Nope. Definitely outclassed.

"Hmph. 'Least the captors didn't have tie up most of y'all." Redrick said to no one in particular, with a sigh. "Must be nice when the hostages already come pre-bound."

Last edited:
Fruna Ruica, On the Hull + Airlock on Deck 4
The airlock that Zeta was looking at opened up with wooshing air leaving into space after she saw a smiling face of Echelon flash on the display behind it. According to her suit, she was patching in through Wesley's AI. She seemed to have her finger in every pie and device on the Phoenix. "1 TH1NK TH1S 1S 4 C4RG0 B4Y,0NC3 TH3 3L3V4T0R LUC4'S 0N T0UCH3S D0WN, Y0U SH0ULD B3 S4F3 T0 M0V3 1N," the Freespacer explained to Zeta.

Zeta slipped into the airlock, it closed behind her and she waited for the pressure to equalise. "D00R 0P3NS 0NC3 LUC4 T0UCH3S D0WN. 1 W4NT TH1S T0 B3 S1MULT4N30US T0 STR3TCH TH3 3N3MY TH1N."

It seemed like a good strategy, and with Zeta in powered armour, she'd be able to deal with more foes at once while Luca and company (and the two LEAF mechs) went for a front door approach. The pressures equalised and the environment was now stable. It was going to open on Echelon's call. "R34DY?"

Fruna Ruica, On the Hull + Airlock on Deck 4

"Yeah, I am ready," replied Zeta to Echelon as she powered up her vulcan. This was a bit of a change of plans seeing as Zeta rather wanted to go "behind enemy lines" sorts of speaking, but this was safer anyway. She can hope off from the team, once they clean out the cargo bay anyway. "And Ech, if anything happens to Luca I am going to kill you all. Is that clear?"

Fruna Ruica, Deck 1, Shipping Reception

The cargo elevator was being watched intently as it came down. The aggressors had scrambled to grab everything they could get their hands on, including machine guns and anti armour weapons because they had no clue what to expect from what sounded like a boarding party.

No anti tank weapon could've allayed their fears when they saw a purple jacket and a crackling hand standing behind boxes with some sort of scrap weapon in hand. And then there were two mechs, and some strange woman standing between one of the mechs and Luca. Unseen to the pirates at first was the snow white build of Aiesu hiding behind Seiren's LEAF, and Melissa with her rifle resting on a box labelled 'FUN'.

"I heard there's a party going on in this ship," Luca said, getting the attention of the, he started counting, twelve pirates who had set up barricades and were hiding behind boxes. "You crashed it. That's really, really bad behaviour."

Of note, the symbols on the pirate's armour resembled a circle with an arrow pointing downwards from the top, and a chevron in the middle. Luca didn't recognise the symbol immediately, so they must've been a newer pirate outfit of some sort. Under their helmets they mumbled incredulously, and their Squad leader yelled "ATTAAACK!"

Luca sighed. So much for the talky way. As he yelled, Echelon hit the floor down on the service elevator and waited.

Seiren saw two men behind a barricade with assault rifles and a grenade. They exchanged glances and started opening fire at the LEAF. Bullets bounced against the hull as a pin was pulled, a fragmentation grenade thrown at and bouncing off of the transparent durandium window and landing between him and the barricade the pirates were hiding behind. Aiesu could be heard yelping as Seiren was a wall against gunfire.

Cass could see two men standing on stacks of boxes, similarly armed to the ones assailing Seiren but when they saw Cass' mech, they laid down and tried to figure out how to take them on instead of just gunning for them. Cass wasn't close enough to Luca or the others to make a grenade count with splash damage.

PhoenixMapA1.png

Machinae Supremacy - Fan Va Coolt

A soldier carrying a medical satchel and standing close to a door off to Seiren's right spotted Rebeka. She didn't seem to be a combatant, instead watching the chaos of combat unfold aloofly, but their presence was unsettling them and they lined up a shot at her head and fired.

She tilted her head out of the way and let it brush through her hair, the bullet hitting the back of Cass' LEAF with a clunk. Rebeka's gaze settled obstenly on the medic, eyes narrowing. Between you and me, you know he's dead one way or the other now!

"That was a very, very poor idea." Luca chuckled as he raised his Battery Railgun and fired down the hallway at the man carrying a light machine gun. A white streak was visible in the air for some time after the two rounds struck the heavy soldier in the chest and his ballistic chestplate begun to melt with battery acid, fraying and dissolving the fabric containing his armour. Still, they soldiered on with their armour sullied and slowly being dissolved and hailing bullets down into Luca's cover and at Cass' side.

"Sniper," Rebeka indicated quietly, tapping Luca on the shoulder to get his attention with her long arm, just like Seiren had taught her to. Luca saw someone at an elevated position in an improvised sniping nest, with marksman's rifle. Rebeka meanwhile kept her gaze at that medic.

Luca ducked behind cover to avoid their line of fire. "Well spotted." He thanked Rebeka. That, however was what the Sniper wanted, responding by making a gesture to send a fireteam to charge him. He leaned out of cover and looked at who was coming for him. "Cass, look out! Rocket launcher!" From cover, he fired a blast from the Railgun at the man with the assault rifle, who was in the middle of lining up a shot at him.

Luca shot first. It becomes remarkably difficult to line up a shot when you have a molten hot, acidic battery lodged in your neck. Blood couldn't even fountain out of it properly because the heat of the battery had cauterised it and the acid was simply chewing his neck away.

Just then the service elevator opened and suddenly there were six people ready to join the fray. "P4RTY T1M3!" Echelon's Mimicom yelled as she started hip firing her IAW at the flanks and back of the advancing team, bullets striking body armour and downing a man carrying a vibro sabre. The soldier with the shotgun advanced ahead, moving towards a barricade while the rocket launcher wielding man turned around.

"Whoa whoa, that's AP, not HE! Don't shoot!" The Sniper berated the Rocket man as he rolled onto his side to narrow his profile to the new attackers. It would have been a very bad idea to fire that thing at an elevator - they wanted the ship intact. A pirate soldier watching the service elevator started firing at it, and Echelon charged forward, unwilling to stick around for long and to show the Sniper some face to face man fighting.

Upon reflection, these guys seemed to be less smash-and-grab pirates and more like a private military company that'd gone rogue. It was the way they moved, communicated and designated pirates.

"Tango, tango!"
"Lost sight on Target A-1."
"Targets spotted, elevator!"
"Spread out!"
"Frag out on B-2!" A grenade sailed towards Cass. To these 'pirates', she was Bravo Two.

Though, to Luca, they still died the same. Any pretense of professionalism died when, well, the person died.

Speaking of dying. The man who'd been struck with a pair of molten hot batteries suddenly found a 7.62 piece of lead in their head, tumbling to the ground with the sound of a falling bookshelf and dropping his light machine gun. "See ya!" Melissa cackled as she disappeared behind her boxes to cycle another round.

Fruna Ruica, Hotel Space, Deck 4

Zeta had ended up a little lower in the ship than she'd thought, looking left and right, she spotted rows of doors, a plush red carpet beneath her feet with a tasteful pattern woven into it, and soft warm light sconces on the wall to illuminate it. It felt very homely and intimate. However, Zeta saw doors ajar and scattered belongings on the floor, swept off to one side by the pirates as they ferried people out.

Save for the belongings on the floor, it felt like just the sort of hotel you'd want to shack up in if you were planning to get intimate. Zeta could see a corridor stretching left and right to either side of her, leading to more hotel rooms. She saw a sign just above her head that told her she'd entered through an emergency airlock.

PhoenixMap1B.png

Looking to her left, past a T-junction and past more rows of hotel rooms, she could see a sign that said "Kikyo Erotic Lifestyle Convention ~Upstairs This Way~'. One of the doors on the way there was open, and the sound of a struggle could be heard, followed by several sets of bones breaking simultaneously and a breathless yell for help followed by someone else sighing dejectedly.

"This is the worst cruise ever..." a man's voice could be heard, but the accent was distinctly serpentine.

Mr. Lizard Man heard the sounds of gunfire over the radios and started stomping, gatling shotgun and all stomp away, leaving the guests to be presided over by more mercenary pirates with a final command, "Watch them. If they make a sssound, ssshoot them all. I cannot have thessse intrudersss ssspoil my prizesss!"

To Red and Tamamo, the biggest threat was out of the room. Some of the convention goers enjoyed a sigh of relief themselves. Maybe there was a shot at freedom here.

"I can hear gunfire..." One of the mercenaries said.
"Zulu-1, What sort of enemy are we looking at?" Another radioed with his fingers to his ear, addressing someone designated Zulu-1. They waited for a response, and Tamamo could see the eyes bulge out of their sunglasses when he heard the reply. "You must be joking."
"Who is it?" Another merc asked.

They looked left and right and whispered, faint as could be. "It's Captain Phoenix."
One of the immediate responses from a colleague was an incredulous "Fuck off."

When the other mercenaries overheard it, a murmur of fear went through their ranks that told Red that there was still fear and possibly common sense in these people. The only time he'd seen or heard of Captain Phoenix on the job was on the cans of energy drink had to stock a fridge with.

Surely, someone from a can of energy drink didn't just leap out to show these guys the meaning of pain like he does on the advertisements.

Right?

"Captain Phoenix?" Red whispered almost to himself. "The... Energy drink guy?"

Redrick furrowed his brow. There was only one person they could be talking about - it was common knowledge that Captain Phoenix was just an ersatz version of the famous ship captain, Luca Pavone. If Luca Pavone *was* here...

"Then an SOS did go out. Good for us." Redrick looked around. He spotted near him a small, bound figure. He squinted at her, initially confused by the blue skin and pink hair, but the ear shape gave her away.

"A neko?" Redrick raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Goodness gracious, how long have you been laying there?"

Redrick spoke in whispers, though in the state of agitation the guards were in he probably could've shouted and been unnoticed. He cast furtive glances to their captors as he spoke to his fellow captive.

"I think..." Redrick gestured at the general direction of the gunfire. "I think we're being rescued by the famous Luca Pavone. Count us fortunate."

He smiled at the small, blue girl in a reassuring, grandfatherly manner. "Hey, what's your name?"

The new sounds of gunfire both distantly heard through the ship, and translated over the radios of her captors seemed to be a good sign. The situation further improved for Tamamo as the Delsaurian began to move his armoured footsteps loud despite the carpeted floor as he made his final orders and departed, leaving relatively less dangerous armed individuals behind to keep watch over the fairly complacent prisoners.

Hearing the quiet sigh spread through the crowd, Tamamo failed to share their relief as she was still bound, left at the mercy of hostiles who were armed and ordered to shoot at the first sign of upset. In statistically it wasn't much of an improvement.

Shortly following the departure of the armoured Delsaurian, Tamamo was treated to a little more information as her captors chattered, making observations and inquiring after the nature of the disturbance. Quickly a name was delivered.

Captain Phoenix.

It meant nothing to her.

Unsure how to process the observed reaction to the name as she lacked any available data on who or what a 'Captain Phoenix' might be Tamamo began to settle again certain that she had little else to do aside from wait.

A new voice in the crowd came to her ears, one of her fellow captives by the direction it came from. Odd given the pensive tone of the whisper different from the usual nervous exchanges or complaints that she had been privy to for the most part.

The voice seemed content to reconfirm information for itself before a couple words caught her attention. Stiffening Tamamo shifted slowly, not wanting to draw any more attention to herself before settling her wide, dark jade eyes on what appeared to be an injured, aging, somewhat overweight Nepleslian.

In response to his question Tamamo replied in a soft, high voice well suited to whispering, "Six hours, eleven minutes, twenty three seconds." Of particular note her voice initially started off with a heavy Yamataian accent, however as she spoke the accent faded away, her trade having become clear and articulate. Devoid of any tell-tale accents.

She didn't understand why how long she had been laying there mattered, however the information cost her nothing and if it allowed the Nepleslian to form a plan to get them free she was more than happy to give it.

His comment on the nature of the party disrupting their captors was of interest to her though it ultimately proved useless aside from attaching the name 'Luca Pavone' to 'Captain Phoenix' along with the proposed 'fortunate' disposition of the present circumstances.

Curious Tamamo closed her eyes and sniffed a couple of times picking up the scent of blood, and food, along with the mixture of useless scents that had saturated much of the ship. In the midst of the process of figuring out whether the old man truly smelled of food she was interrupted by a second question, unexpected.

"I am Sesshoseki-Hei. Sesshoseki Tamamo."

The girl was really quite cute. The blank expression he saw in her jade green eyes betrayed her as a fairly young neko, probably cowed by the apparent overwhelming advantage the captors had over them. It was true - they were sitting ducks in this cargo bay, but Redrick was damned if he was going to sit idle, even if it was the wisest option.

"Pleased to meet you Tamamo-chan." Redrick said, in rough Yamatai-go. He switched to trade for the next sentence. "Well. Since we're friendly now, mind lettin' me know if the guards take an interest in me? I got errands to run."

Before Tamamo could ask him anything further, Red laid down next to her, back facing the blue neko girl. He, apparently with great pain, was trying to force his bound hands under his rump, and past his legs. if he had his hands in front of him, he could get free. It was slow going. The strain on his body was compounding the effects of the bruises and contusions on his form - even slight movement hurt. Stretching himself out like this was excruciating.

From there, he had nothing worked out, but the ability to improvise should carry him through. He hoped.

He'd gotten his hands below his bottom, with a final, quiet grunt, much quieter than his body demanded. His joints hurt. Every part of him felt, stretched, pulled out of shape - abused. He started to doubt the merits of his plan - how was he going to get his hands out from underneath his legs when just passing under his fat ass hurt so much? He spat blood, spitting several times to remove the iron-copper taste from his mouth.

He decided he'd take a rest.

"Tamamo-chan." Redrick said in Yamatai-go. He paused. Just what did the two of them have in common? Why even talk to this girl? She seemed calmer than he did - she was definitely stronger and fitter than him. Why struggle? Why fight? Just wait for Luca Pavone to swoop in and save them all. It'd be no trouble, it'd be the *wise*, *safe* thing to do.

No. No, that wasn't the Redrick Callahan way. He wouldn't wait quietly, couldn't wait quietly. Perhaps Tamamo was just waiting for an opening.

Perhaps he was that opening.

"Tamamo-chan," Redrick repeated in Yamatai-go. He figured it was less likely the goons would understand the language. He, with great effort, shifted himself to the other side, facing her as he laid down. "Just how did you get on a ship like this? In your uniform, no less?

He didn't see any guards take any interest in them, but he still spoke in a quiet whisper.

"Heeeeeeellllll no!" Seiren declared, ramping up the shields on his LEAF. All power from mobility to shields. The inventor saw the two soldiers closest to him and made a point to target those with his HIPR and his electrolaser he built into the LEAF's shoulder, choosing the grenadier and the rifleman respectively as his targets. If they didn't go down the first time, then the only logical solution was to keep firing!

Exiting Elevator

"So much for sneakin' around. Maybe I should'a brought Gale with me after all..." Shayla could hear the fight begin as they lowered down, grinning wide even as she shook her head. "Your boss really likes the direct approach, doesn't he?" As the door opened, she quickly took in the scene, eyes flickering about. Once Echelon began firing, downing one and drawing the attention of the others, she made her entrance. Roaring something in that strange alien language, she rocketed out of the elevator right behind the Mimicom, accelerating rapidly as she flew straight towards the rocketman trying to roll into cover. She crashed into him like a flying battering ram, crunching the poor pirate against the boxes he'd been rolling for. Wrenching the rocket launcher out of his grip, she smashed the large weapon against his head before spinning to hurl it at the pirate with the shotgun, the explosive weapon being turned into a deadly projectile.

There was a brief moment of mutual study, an old Nepleslian and a young Neko simply staring at each other. Then he spoke, surprisingly in Yamatai-go, unrefined however and she couldn't help but note his choice of honorific, perhaps forced familiarity?

His next sentence was in trade again, perhaps he didn't have enough mastery of Yamatai-go to speak it alone. As she was trying to puzzle out his meaning not entirely sure why the guards would be interested in him and decidedly baffled by what sort of errand he hoped to accomplish bound and held under hostile control.

Her answer however came in an unpleasant and startling way. Squirming with surprising ease into a kneeling position Tamamo fixed her gaze on the nervous guards as the man began to writhe struggling to negotiate his bonds into a different position.

For what little it was worth she noted that he made little noise though she was hardly comforted by it as she continued to observe the guards her eyes having unfocused to broaden her field of view. Her nervous tension broken only by the sound of spitting and a new scent of fresh blood.

Reminded again that she was hungry, Tamamo was grateful for the distraction and twitched the ear nearest to the man as he spoke once again. Disappointed by the pause she refocused on the hostiles that kept them penned not wanting to be taken by surprise should they decide that the old, injured Nepleslian had caused too much of a fuss.

Then came her name again. Her attention once again drawn, Tamamo turned slightly reluctant to give up her watch as she replied keeping her voice nearly even in volume with the man's own chosen level, "I was deceived while in transit. Encouraged to board a shuttle that was claimed was the one I required to reach Kyoto, my destination. However, as is apparent I ended up aboard this vessel."

She didn't see the relevance of the question, nor did she see any reason not to answer, albeit in less detail than she would have liked. Still she had little better to do in her position and at the very least it gave her something to do.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back