• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP Resurgence of Yamatai - Post Mission 9: Checkpoint... done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny D

🌟 Site Supporter
RP Date
YE 45.6
RP Location
YSS Resurgence
Erika's stepped echoed rhythmically down the steel corridor, punctuating the ship's ever-present hum. The sterile gleam of the walls and the pale blue glow of the overhead lights gave the hallway an otherworldly feel. Every few paces, she ran a hand through her hair, or adjusted the fit of her jumpsuit, or cast a quick glance over her shoulder.

A few crew members passed by, offering nods or murmured greetings, but she hardly acknowledged them. Her gaze remained locked on the sliding doors at the end of the hall, which bore the insignia for the medical center.

The low murmur of conversation emanated from inside, punctuated occasionally by the beeps and chimes of medical equipment. As she approached, she could hear the light banter of the nursing staff, talking about their shifts and sharing little jokes. For them, this was all routine, all in a day’s work.

She stopped just short of the doors, taking a moment to exhale. Her fingers curled and uncurled at her sides, and her boots scuffed the floor slightly as she shifted her weight. The doors sensed her presence and slid open with a soft whoosh, revealing the busy world of the medical center.

The Resurgence's lead medic was an experienced medic with long pink hair and a pretty face with one of those perfect noses frequently found on statues. She was pale, covered with freckles and had green eyes. She was wearing duty uniform with medical teal panels on the chest and shoulders and a big red diamond patch on her shoulder. "Hi, I'm Poppy," she greeted Erika. "What brings you to the medical lab?" she asked.

Erika looked at Poppy and nodded, offering the medic a strained smile. “Yes, we met in the ward room. I've also needed some band aids during the last mission, though you were very busy growing new limbs. I'm Erika. You asked me to come around and have and ST Backup scan preformed.” She said politely, though her posture was stiff. In an instant much of that tension vanished as she sighed and her shoulders slumped. She then spread her arms wide in a dramatic sweeping motion “Here I am.” She said, her tone was one of resignation. "Considering what we've been through I figured I shouldn't keep putting it off."

Poppy's eyes crinkled at the corners, her lips curving into a half-amused smirk. "Ah, yes, Erika!" She chuckled, gesturing for Erika to follow her deeper into the medical bay. "You seem nervous. It's just a backup scan, nothing to be anxious about. It's routine, after all. In our line of work it's not a bad idea to have preemptively give yourself a second chance."

Erika trailed behind Poppy; her thoughts evident on her contemplative face. “Surely I’m not the only one who has an existential crisis whenever she thinks about this procedure.” She murmured finally, her features softening. “Following the flash of the scan there are two possibilities, either I wake up in the chair or in a vat. The person in the vat isn’t me; it’s a cloned body with my memories. I would be dead, and a new entity burdened with all that I am.”

“So.” Erika said, perking up as though she hadn’t just mentioned something terribly morbid “Where do you want me?”

Poppy paused, her freckled face showing a thoughtful expression as she weighed Erika's words. The usually cheeky medic seemed to take on a more understanding demeanor. "You're definitely not the only one," she admitted. "Many struggle with the...philosophical implications of respawning. As for me, I think as long as the software is intact, it doesn't matter if the hardware gets replaced or upgraded. Don't worry, if you wake up in here after death, I'll tell the new you its the real one," she reassured Erika with a wink.

Erika’s smile thinned as Poppy continued. “Well, she would be real, just not me.” Erika corrected before crossing her arms over her chest tightly, her eyes darting to the side momentarily. “Just do what you’d normally do. No special instructions, the waters are muddy enough as it is.” She said, letting her arms fall back to her sides.

Poppy gestured towards a sleek reclined chair, equipped with a scanner over it. This was a Mental Backup machine and was essentially an advanced AI-powered brain scanner. "You'll sit here," Poppy instructed. "The process is pretty straightforward. Just try to relax, and it'll be over before you know it. If something happens to you, we'll have a way to give you another chance at life. I'll also be taking samples of your DNA we can use to reconstruct your body if needed."

Erika let an amused exhale out through her nose as she grinned. “Its not my first time, I just don’t like it.” She said, turning to lower herself into the chair. With a long drawn-out exhale, she let the tension flow from her body as she sank into the shallow upholstery of the recliner. “The thing is, the software isn’t intact, is it? There will be a gap of, one would hope days. A lot of functions of the Nekovalkyrjan mind have been digitized, but the way memory informs who we are is the same as our human base line.”

"Our ship can stream new memories in real time. If we have a body ready in advance, you could be taking about minutes instead of days," Poppy told Erika. "This scan gives us a baseline but you can update your files wirelessly on the fly. Think about it this way: You go to sleep every night and that's a disruption in consciousness, too. And we never touch your files without your consent. Are you ready?"

“Great, so if I have a concussion and wake up in medical, I have to wonder if I did in fact die.” Erika said, with a dark chuckle. “As for sleeping, you wake up and you’re more or less the same configuration of atoms. And before you get technical on me,” she raised a finger “don’t think I’ve not gone down the ‘Theseus Paradox’ rabbit hole either. Probably where I got this particular defective brain worm.” She then took another breath and wore an exhausted grin. “I appreciate what you’re trying to do but I believe I am thoroughly inconsolable.”

"Alright, Erika," she began, her voice soft yet firm, "just relax. Remember, this is just a safety net, a second chance. Whatever happens, you'll always be Erika to me. As long as you're part of the crew, I promise to be there for you. Whether it's the original Erika or a backup. Try to hold still." She switched on the machine and got the process started, which induced a mild tingling sensation in Erika's head. After a few minutes, the data was saved in an encrypted data storage unit and tucked away in a Zesuaium safe in Poppy's office.

Erika rubbed her temples as she sat up, trying to shake off the light-headed feeling. That the scan made the neurons in her hippocampus vibrate did nothing to soothe her existential crisis. She managed to catch a glance at the DSU in Poppy’s hand before the safe closed, such a tiny thing carrying the sum total of her experiences and personality up to that point. Then, exhaling hard, she sat forward in the recliner. “So, I’m here now, hard parts done.” She said as though a weight had been lifted “You can run me through a physical if you’d like."

Poppy nodded, switching to her professional demeanor as she began the next phase of the medical protocol. She wheeled a medical cart closer, equipped with various medical instruments, all of which were sterilized and gleaming under the fluorescent lights.

“Alright, first things first, vitals. Let’s get your heart rate and blood pressure,” Poppy said, wrapping a cuff around Erika’s upper arm. The machine hummed softly, the numbers on the digital display fluctuating until it settled on a reading. "So...where were you born?" she asked, making some small talk.

“From a cold, desolate place in the New Victoria system designated UX-19 II.” Erika said nostalgically before turning her head to Poppy. “I was only born in 43, childhood was non-existent, and until I was selected for SAINT I'm lead to believe I had a fairly run of the mill upbringing for a vat grown NH-33; a smack on the butt and a service contract to sign." She said, laughing softly. "Suppose it was colder than average. I’m sure your upbringing was much more interesting.”

"Yeah, I hear New Vicky is basically just an ice ball with a SAINT base on it. I suppose there's not a lot of amenities other than a Warm and Sweet coffee shop," Poppy shrugged. "I was born in Tania on planet Yamatai back in YE 18. I was surrounded by a lot of intellectuals in the medical field and decided to get into it. I didn't want to wait for college so I went straight into the Star Army in YE 39. But I ended up taking college courses later and I'm hoping to become a full doctor at some point. I've always enjoyed being in a support role and being a healer. On the Resurgence I have already been called on to do a lot of procedures for extreme injuries that are technically above my pay grade," she explained, "But I've often been the sole available medic."

She placed the stethoscope on Erika's chest, listening intently. “Breathe in... and out,” she instructed, momentarily lost in the rhythm of Erika's heart. "So you're out there to see the universe? The Resurgence is great way to get a tour. We sure do go to some random and far flung places."

Erika's gaze settled on Poppy, an eyebrow arching playfully. A smirk played at the corner of her lips. “You’ve got an interesting way of selling me on it. The chief medic is often over her head and understaffed.” She chuckled.

Erika leaned forward slightly, her voice low and introspective, "To answer your question, I’m a vat grown Nekovalkyra. I was created to serve. And, in all my, granted limited, experience, I've never known one of my kind to refuse the call. Still, I can’t complain.” Her tone shifted, becoming vibrant, “I like nature, wandering the wilderness, and the Resurgence promises to take me to exotic ones. And I do love the thrill of the chase. Getting in and out without leaving a trace. Being the hunter and waiting for the right moment to strike. Or the hunted and turning the tables on my pursuers.” Erika's lips curled into a sly smile, revealing sharp canines.

As soon as Erika flashed them, they had vanished. “But come on, don’t switch subjects too quickly!” She protested. “I didn’t get a childhood, so I’m interested to hear about yours.”

Poppy chuckled, the light glinting off her eyes, “Ah, always the investigator, aren’t you? Trying to probe the healer for her life story?”

"I'm told its a positive trait for someone in my line of work." Erika said with a dry smile.

Poppy paused, her expression turning nostalgic. The spaceship's ambient lights reflected in her eyes, hinting at distant memories. “Growing up on Yamatai, in Tania to be specific, was... eclectic. Tania is a bustling city. Tall skyscrapers reaching for the sky, and the hum of hovercars zipping past became the background music to my youth.”

“I grew up in an old-fashioned brick house with a small garden in the back. My parents loved gardening and had turned it into a miniature oasis amidst the urban sprawl. I remember running around with my siblings, trying to catch the koi in the pond or listening to the songbirds my mom loved to keep.”

She laughed, “You wouldn’t believe it, but I was quite the troublemaker. Climbing trees, scraping my knees, and always coming home with some wild animal I'd found, insisting it was now our new family pet. I was curious about everything, always asking questions. My dad said I’d be a scientist because of my insatiable need to understand the world.”

“Believe it or not,” Poppy winked. “By the time I was in my teens, my interests had shifted towards the medical field. I was captivated by the human body, the intricate balance between life and death, health and disease. Many evenings, I would sit with my dad in his study, poring over medical journals, discussing the latest findings. He was a renowned surgeon, and he loved sharing his experiences with me. Sometimes I'd even watch the O.R. through a window.”

“There was a calmness in Tania despite the chaos. The festivals, the lights, the music… It was a beautiful paradox. But it wasn’t without its challenges. Like everywhere else, there were struggles, differences, and adversities to overcome. But my parents always emphasized the importance of understanding, kindness, and empathy. But there was always this background of war happening and I guess I had to see it for myself.”

“Even so, it sounds so idyllic.” Erika said, her inflection almost sombre with a hint of envy. “Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to have been born normally. To have carved my own niche rather than having an Erika shaped hole in the Empire into which I fit. For some reason a quote someone once told me; 'art thrives from constraint and dies in freedom' comes to mind. Seems off base, I know; I'm not art, but I think it has relevance.” Then once again, the Neko rebounded happily. “At least the niche given to me was 'climbing trees and scraping knees', at least partially. And I find it rather agreeable, for the most part. And I can still go to festivals. I'm looking forward to my first Hanami.”

Poppy tilted her head, a soft look in her eyes. "You know, Erika, there's something beautiful about the self-awareness you have. Some people through life without ever questioning their place or purpose. You might have been designed for war, but here you are, asking dreaming of cherry blossoms, and yearning for experiences outside of your preordained path. Proof that Nekovalkyrja are more than just fleshy robots," she grinned. "I'm sure you'll do fine thrusting yourself into the Empire's holes," she cackled. "Speaking of which let me take your core temperature," Poppy offered, lubing up an impressive thermometer.

Erika’s eyes narrowed when she saw the long, slender probe “Uh… why are you lubing that up? Don’t they normally go under the arm pit?” A quick query to the ships database and she got her answer. Gulping, she leaned back into the chair, gripping its arms white-knuckled. Her gaze flitted to the exit, her weight shifting forward ever so slightly, but then she froze, eyes locking with the medic's. “You know what? I think my temperature is fine.” She laughed awkwardly “I recently had my internal thermometer calibrated, I'm a healthy Thirty-Six-point-Five-C!”

Poppy squinted her eyes quizzically at Erika for a moment and then finally set down her prized probe and settled for a handheld laser-based scanner, pointing it at Erika for a moment and then staring at her data pad until it typed the results itself. "A Nekovalkyrja with modesty..." she noted, finding that intriguing. "Did you need me buy you dinner first? Anyway, as for the Hanami in Kyoto, it's truly a sight to behold. The ethereal beauty of cherry blossoms floating in the wind, the picnics, and festivities. It's a reminder of the transient nature of life, the impermanence of everything. I hope you get to experience it."

“Even then, its one way only!” Erika protested, though her white knuckle grip on the chair receded. “There’s a lot of things I wish to see and experience but THAT is not one of them. Are you trying to give me a complex about going to medical? I mean more than I already have?” She then let out a heavy exhale. “Yes, it sounds magical.” The Neko said curtly.

"Well, I'll just need that DNA sample and that will be it for now. You can do the space tests when everyone else does them. You know, lung capacity, treadmill measurements, G-force tolerance, et cetera. You're a Nekovalkyrja so I'm sure you're fine in those respects already." Poppy pulled out a small sample collector tool from her cart and got a small vial of blood from Erika's arm. "Okay, you're free to go. You look as healthy as a Nekovalkyrja," she joked. "I'll see you around. Any questions for me before you go?"

Erika hesitated for a moment, rubbing the small spot where Poppy had drawn blood before getting to her feet. "Well, you certainly made the visit… memorable. I think should get out of here before you come up with another archaic and invasive method to take a basic reading." She said, the corners of her mouth curling up slightly before she started to walk off. She then paused and turned to face Poppy once more with an inquisitive expression on her face. “You weren’t seriously going to use that thing as implied right?” She asked “You’re just… playfully bullying me because I’m the new girl?”

Poppy’s eyes met Erika’s evenly, her playful demeanor now replaced by a more professional tone. “Actually, I was. Some of the methods we have may seem archaic, but they provide data just the same. I suppose we have different standards about certain things. But it's your body, and I'll respect your choices and I'll make sure to explain the purpose behind every procedure in the future. Thanks for putting up with the checkup. It's boring, I know, but when things get rough the information I got here helps me be ready to treat you. For example I keep customized blood transfusions for every crew member."

“Rrrriiiight,” Erika said incredulously. Her eyebrows arched and she gave a slow, deliberate nod of her head. “I’ll make sure to ask you if there are alternative procedures in the future.” As she turned to leave, Erika gracefully raised one hand in farewell, her fingers fluttered briefly. “I'll see you around, Poppy. In the mean time, watch your butt.” She gave the medic a wink.

"Sure thing! Be safe out there!" Poppy waved.

= = =

JP END

= = =

OOC: JP by Sunny D and Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back