• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Setting notes from Discord

Soban

Convention Veteran
This is a place where if someone sees something entrusting being said about the setting on Discord, they can post it here for posterity.

---

iaincarter — Yesterday at 5:26 PM
Especially if we lose the third mishhu war! :p

Mikodimus — Yesterday at 5:34 PM
That would be something

FrostJaeger — Yesterday at 5:59 PM
That would indeed be something >:3

Cowboy — Yesterday at 6:09 PM
Yeah, Yam's first loss.

demibear — Yesterday at 7:37 PM
Yam has never lost a war is what I am assuming Cowboy meant.

Charmaylarg Dufrain — Yesterday at 9:13 PM
Doubt it will be this one. The war is outside the sector so unless yamatai comitted all of its fleets and they all across everywhere they went to got shrekt and then yamatai couldnt just print up 70,000 more ships I don't think they would lose unless they pulled the kind of loss like the US in veitnam where it was cutting their losses and pulling out.

Charmaylarg Dufrain — Yesterday at 9:21 PM
Only way yamatai would ever really lose is if a hundred very unlikely things happened and it somehow against all odds just kept shooting itself in the foot. And all the ways it would need to do that are so extremely unlikely IC without even the OOC aspect involved. Like yamatai is never going to elect an anti-war political party to power, screw over its already autonomous admirals, defunding its fleets and legions at the same time when on a war footing, etc

Ametheliana — Yesterday at 9:42 PM
Yamatai has lost battles, though. Nataria, Hoshi no Iori, and Tami come to mind off the bat as total losses that were not recovered (except in Tami's case, but that was after the closing of the war).
They were battles that rocked them to their very core. I feel like losses like those gives our characters uncertainty about where and when they will fail. They also propel them to not let those failures happen again.
Losing the battle but winning the war still hurts the victor. And will make the loser all the more confident to try again...

Ametheliana — Yesterday at 9:45 PM
This is SARP's version of this NH-25 on Star Army Space Roleplay
Instead of legs they have tentacles lol

Wes — Yesterday at 9:50 PM
There were also battles Yamatai won, but the cost was extremely high, like Glimmergold, Third Battle of Nataria, and the Battle of Yamatai...
What we have is a situation where Yamatai is on a timer to find and get the Mishhu under control where they're at or eventually the Mishhu will be so powerful they'll steamroll Yamatai at some future point. They can't be left to keep growing so Yamatai has to fight them now.

Ametheliana — Yesterday at 9:57 PM
Rereading the admiral meeting today, Yamatai also doesn't have as much personnel as it should for wartime, A very sticky spot to be caught in even for the time being, let alone further down the line when the Mishhu feel like attacking closer to home.

Ametheliana — Yesterday at 9:59 PM
I also kind of counted Third Battle of Nataria as a loss. The Kuvexians only retreated because SAINT/ Saiga cancelled a bunch of payments and so they had to figure that out rather than keep pounding Nekovalkyrja into actual forever graves.
But just chewing the fat of history, not arguing one way or another

Cowboy — Yesterday at 10:48 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to tag Iain's comment about "if we lose the third Mishhu war." That would be Yam's first loss.

Ametheliana — Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Yeah I gotchu! Maybe first time losing a whole war
But I hope you + others get my point that Yamatai has certainly lost before
It helps shapes most of my characters and their actions!

Cowboy — Yesterday at 11:01 PM
Indeed. We lost Hanakos world for years. Sanda would also call Gashmere a loss.

Sunny D — Yesterday at 11:02 PM
May I suggest fail safe Von Neumann probes as a fail safe?

---

Wes — Today at 6:04 AM
It's not that Yamatai can't clone up a bunch of soldiers for its military, the problem is training and building the best leaders for the Star Army. We can make lots of mooks but the Star Army's philosophy has always been quality first, then quantity.
You can pump out lots of badass Neko troops but those troops need time and experience to grow. It's one of the reasons there are no enlisted Starship Operators anymore, because the Star Army found they needed more ship captains so they kind of plugged the starship operator pipeline into that in the hopes that, after a few years, they would start hitting the right ranks and experiences to be eligible for the captains' chairs. And it's working!
An example is some of the starship operator NPCs from the early days of the Resurgence are now captaining her sister ships.

Lizalopod — Today at 10:29 AM
moving to here for these cause yamatai. about what rank would a ship science officer need to be / how long would they have needed to server? Working on 1 of 2 birbs

Wes — Today at 10:42 AM
Shoi, fresh out of college

Cowboy — Today at 10:51 AM
Here's a question. So you know the Wakaba had a bunch of Neko babies to get their crew numbers up while they were lost in space. Now that they've returned they need to go through basic and all. But what about officers and science officers? The wiki says that they need to go to the academy for 4 years. Does that mean they would be off the ship. For the next 4 years and unplayable since they'll have to be at university?

Wes — Today at 10:53 AM
They might be able to do some kind of online classes but yeah, the Star Army requires all officers to be college grads.

StrikeWyvernX02S — Today at 10:54 AM
me when i find out the guy that is responsible for flying the ship through a minefield graduated in online class
blud thought it was microsoft flight simulator 2020

Lizalopod — Today at 10:54 AM
LOL

Wes — Today at 10:59 AM
The realistic answer is none of those field younglings are officers, because they could not have got a commission.
A commission is a formal document from a head of state (the Empress) or in their name, that appoints an officer to a position in the military. Currently in the Star Army, Taisho Yui commissions officers and she and the Empress jointly commission flag officers (general officers).
e.g. No Yui, no gold stripes

Cowboy — Today at 12:36 PM
Thanks Wes. That helps me going forward. I also had a PC who had a science officer that was a Santo Hei and when the plot started but since then the SA said scientist had to be officers and I wanted to be able to give clear directions.

Mikodimus — Today at 12:46 PM
Looks at the Koun training neko captains on a real ship while attending online classes
I am just glad Alastair isn't the one flying the ship...Ali doing all the heavy lifting

HarperMadi — Today at 12:49 PM
Ali isn't a Neko, tho.

Mikodimus — Today at 12:49 PM
Right

HarperMadi — Today at 12:49 PM
She probably captained a freighter as long as he did, tho. Mad AF she went needs of the army.

Mikodimus — Today at 12:50 PM
I plan to cover details for her being a captain shortly

HarperMadi — Today at 1:36 PM
Bet! Keep in mind, Ali's about to be a second year SAAMMS student captain candidate. She still has to serve time as an XO, which is like third year shenannigans.

Wes — Today at 1:46 PM
I thought she was in a plot ship

HarperMadi — Today at 1:49 PM
She is. She attends remotely and between missions. Or is that not a thing?
Cause if it's not, I can do the drop out for missions shenannigans and backdate it.

Wes — Today at 1:51 PM
Remote classes are not offered at the Star Army Academy, it's modeled after the US Naval Academy

FrostJaeger — Today at 1:52 PM
huh
Aren’t correspondence courses a thing?
or is that only for Kyoto War College

Wes — Today at 1:52 PM
Not for the Star Army Academy

FrostJaeger — Today at 1:52 PM
ah, kk

HarperMadi — Today at 1:53 PM
Aah. Yeah, probably deferred attendance due to mission needs, or straight dropped out after her first year and ran candidacy as correspondence courses through another school.

Wes — Today at 1:53 PM
KWC has correspondence

HarperMadi — Today at 1:54 PM
I'll write a backdated transfer/dropout request if you want to write the actual order. I think it would have been right before she made Taii.

Wes — Today at 1:55 PM
Star Army Academy is mainly for fresh faced 21yos who know a senator to sit in classes for 4 years of super challenging courses and become top officers. Think the West Point of the SAOY
Also it is a med school
Ketsurui Academy is the big Star Army engineer tech school.
Kyoto War College is like the big officer trainer hub
Enlisted becoming officers tend to pass through it.

HarperMadi — Today at 1:58 PM
Fair enough. I'm doing the request for school transfer rn.

Mikodimus — Today at 2:00 PM
Belmont Academy of Excellence soon
Where one learns nothing but your still excellent at it.

Cowboy — Today at 2:03 PM
That's very good to know Wes. Which schools focus on what things. Very helpful to know.

Wes — Today at 2:03 PM
I should make some more sometime.

HarperMadi — Today at 2:11 PM
Yeah, I was told she would be best placed at SAAMMS, so oofta. No biggie. Her orders request just dropped. I know Alastair won't be happy with her. Nor will Akino. (Koun's current XO)

Wes — Today at 2:14 PM
I think there are some misconceptions about the schools, and hope to clear them up
I need to do a better job writing them I guess.

I have outlined multiple times in multiple threads (using information directly from the wiki) how the various officer commissioning paths in the Star Army work, so I’m surprised people still go off of their headcanons because the information is both on the wiki (on a centralized list at the top of the SATA article) and has been presented directly to the confused parties here on the forum.

Again for posterity:
  • SAAMMS: A military service academy modeled after real life equivalents like the USNA and West Point. Very prestigious. The students are young people who must be dedicated enough to attend in person under strict regulation to maintain the institution’s elite nature. Has a medical side, similarly prestigious, that is attended in-person.
  • Ketsurui Academy: Its like SAAMMS for engineers.
  • Kyoto War College: Originally a command college (like the real life Naval War College) that provided officers at least ranked Chusa with masters-level courses in advanced military theories. At some point began offering correspondence college courses to enlisted soldiers to level them up to officer. The “mustang school.” Also has produced some rare fresh officers Wesley Crusher/field midshipman style.
  • Mayamae Officer School: The direct commissioning program. Officer candidate school. College graduates go here to enter the Star Army as a Shoi.

I have outlined multiple times in multiple threads (using information directly from the wiki) how the various officer commissioning paths in the Star Army work, so I’m surprised people still go off of their headcanons because the information is both on the wiki (on a centralized list at the top of the SATA article) and has been presented directly to the confused parties here on the forum.
To be fair, I wouldn’t expect most folks to spend hours digging through forum threads for something as minor as where their character attended officer college - for want of a better term - and the list you mentioned isn’t what I’d call the most descriptive, no offense meant towards the article’s author. Perhaps the list could be expanded with the descriptions you put in your post?

More OOC notes beyond a link to the wiki article might help with that. People SHOULD be reading on the real world equivalent when supplied it, but some people still need a bit more guiding on how their characters should act/what training they attended consisted of.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back