• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP [YSS Koun] Seeking Wisdom

Soban

Convention Veteran
RP Date
YE 46.2
RP Location
Yamatai
"Yes, I get it. Dumb idea," Aliset closed her eyes, letting the private audio call on her SPINE run. She'd figured out fairly quickly how to run it without speaking, even focus on other tasks while on the phone. She just hoped other members of her immediate family didn't figure that out just yet. "I know what Separa mythology says. And I'm bringing a note book and setting my implants to record. How's Sirrus, sergeant?"

"Not terrible. Wife's glad to have me home for a few days. Glad to be home. Grabbing some extra hardware and making sure my kids are okay. You know how it is," Spark responded, before a soft growl came over her voice. No matter how much clearer her tone was over an implant call like this, that rumble in Spark's chest still sent a primal chill up her spine. "And why would you seek wisdom from the Lissragyd?"

"How did you know?"

"When I called you, you said you were on the train to Neta. Your fiance's a Separa, and you've lost your culture. You're on Yamatai, so no burial steel forges… I'm autistic, not an idiot. You can't find your wisdom from some grand library or a chunk of burial steel, so you seek out the next closest source. Most important to you. And for you, who is shockingly religious, that means a holy site."

"Kay. So you're a fucking savage, with no chill. I didn't need attacked like that, I'm going down there so I can get out of these heated clothes and go into something actually comfortable for a bit. Bonus points for the highest rated farmer's market in this metro area. I brought a notebook, so what happens happens."

"Whatever you say, taii. Hey, you registered a new research project recently?"

"Three. Some Senti biology work, a couple specialized jump sequences, and some mythological archaology and biology projects."

"Anything unofficial?

"You'll tell Sacre."

"The fact that you suck at biology tells me you're up to something, taiii."

"Don't worry about it, sergeant." Aliset's tone almost felt like an order.

"Don't you be taking that tone with me, lieutenant," Spark's response was just as sharp. "You drive the bus. I do the killing. Now. I've read your papers. You're a xenopolicy expert. Not a biologist. Be like a fish climbing a tree. And not a theologist. So. What are you looking for?"

Aliset let a soft sigh escape her lips, looking around the train car. "A few things. One of which you can help with. Ven Volontany. She ever go through the NDC bioweapons rehab?"

"I know she was denied power armor qual. Too unstable. But I didn't oversee her training, no. If she even took any training or rehab. I started the program. Doesn't mean I was in charge of it. But not my question. Those who sleep under the branches of the Lissragyd will receive the wisdom of Naga'Shun. If she'll speak to you, you're doing something more stupid than normal. And you damn well know it. But you want to see for yourself. See if any mythology, anywhere, has a basis in reality so you can trust your beliefs. So what shook them?"

"Do you really want to know?"

"Not really. Doubt you'd tell me. You're not the first tsulrati I've worked with. Point being, you know what you're doing. And I'm gonna give you shit, but I got your back. Just remember. Your daughter. Your wife to be. They come first. Don't lose them to your existential crisis."

"Thanks, Beth. Means a lot. Heard you have three kids at home."

"Spark's fine, ma'am. Figured you'd rather not feel envy right now. But if it affects your duty ability, I kind of have to know. What's going on?"

"A nightmare. One that gives me reason to believe two things. One. If I come forward with the information, I will be submitted for psych evals. Again. Two. Based on the subject and track record, I'm right, and the Tskugani Dome situation isn't over. Not by a long shot."

"Tskugani… Shurista? I saw that on the news. You think something's up?"

"I think it's just beginning." Based on the looks she was getting, Ali realized she said that last sentence out loud. She held her hand up to her ear, three fingers closed, pinky at the lip. Universal symbol for "on the phone."

"And you think some mystic bullshit's going to help?"

"No. But it will help me focus on the problem."

"Understood. I trust you, ma'am. Do what you have to. Princess demands walkies. So I gotta go." The call disconnected as Aliset left the train, heading into the rainforest past groups of Separa tourists and residents. She moved quickly, considering what Spark had said, and what Sacre often said. It didn't matter much. Between Adonis and the coming war, she didn't want Marigold to worry. She hadn't told Mari about the experience being captured. Hadn't told her about any of her less positive experiences. Maybe Sacre had told her. But she hadn't.

She looked up from the path, double checking her surroundings before sending a message to Sacre, letting her know where she was, and that she was safe. Not knowing what tree she was looking for, she opted in stead to look for well kept areas. Problem was that it was all well kept. The undergrowth here was almost manicured, like a lawn or a garden. She could see some large snakes moving through the brush, and determined that they're either native or this was a park and someone's kids were running wild. Considering she hadn't deviated, she figured she should be close. So she pressed on, knowing she must have looked such an odd sight.

A young Separa’Shan priestess watched Aliset’s movement through the sacred grove. She was laying with a group of other Separa’Shan who’s tails were all piled in a complicated way. She slid her blue tail with black diamonds on it out of the group and approached Aliset. “I’m Eftychios Morelia, you seem a bit lost.” The young Venis asked.
"My apologies, I didn't see you there," Aliset offered a small bow, her arms folded in front of her. "I'm Aliset Koun. And yeah, I'm a bit lost. I've never seen a Lissragyd before, so I don't know what to look for or the proper rites to seek its wisdom. I know it must seem strange, but… I think I am more lost than I look."

Morelia cocked her head, considering Aliset. “It’s not strange at all, all sorts of lost people find their way to the branches of the Lissragyd. Some find what they want, all find what they need.” She said, and gave a clear laugh.

The Separa’Shan took Aliset’s hand, leading her through the sacred grove to a pond with a large gray stone sticking out of it. The sunlight fell on the smooth rock and as Aliset approached she could see that it was speckled with other colors. Morelia curled up in the sun, basking in it’s radiance. She patted the rock beside her, indicating where Aliset should sit. The pond had large koi swimming in it. “So, tell me what brought you here.”

Sitting down as instructed, Aliset watched the Koi, brows furrowing as she considered how to answer Morelia's questions. "Just some bad dreams and shaken faith, is all."

Short, defensive and enigmatic, certainly. But not aggressive or hostile. "It's kinda difficult to put into words that don't make me sound like a crazy person. But suffice it to say I have a lot to deal with. Some I know I should pursue. Others I might be able to ignore safely. Used to be I could lean into my faith and trust the burial steel to guide my actions. Now, I realize If'Ni had forsaken me. And with the woman I have fallen for, I can only hope Naga'Shun is… Well. You know her better than I do."
Morelia nodded, listening to Aliset. “What are you looking for? The tree is easy to find, napping under it is comfortable, dreams come when they are needed, but none of them are what you are looking for. They are a means, a way to get something, somewhere, you want to be.”

"Some times that's all we need, isn't it? Learning to walk is something that took me years." Aliset opened her jacket, soaking up the warmth of the sun in her near open top as she shrugged, considering dodging the question entirely. "One step to open a door. New methods of transporting ourselves to be where we need to go. The question of what I'm looking for has been asked of me already today. And I'll tell you the same thing I told her. A string of recurring nightmares similar to a string I had maybe four years ago. Combined with my already shaken faith, and I need to figure this out. And no, I'm not Turassieli."

Morelia considered, “But your dreams are connected to them.”

"The days before Turassiel split, they were. Now I'm dreaming of Shurista," Aliset responded.

“I don’t know Senti history well, but something bad happened to Turassiel and now you are dreaming of something similar happening to Shurista.”

"Sort of. Four years ago, Turassiel was attacked and shattered by Kuvexians. I had just joined the Star Army. And Sacre tells me the creatures I've described from my dreams are Mishhu. The Civil Service killed one on Shurista… maybe a week ago? But the dreams haven't stopped. Given the track record of two for two so far, you can imagine where my mind is going. Sounds insane. Senti don't have gifts like that." Folding her coat into a tight ball, Aliset used it as a pillow, laying down on the stone. "Frankly, it sounds like an overworked soldier about to have a mental break."

Morelia thought, dipping her hand into the water. She brought it out and some droplets fell onto the stone and started slowly rolling back to the water. “Do you know where that drop of water is going?”

Furrowing her brows, Aliset responded plainly, "Back to the water, I suppose. Where are you going with this?"

“You know that even though it hasn’t reached the water yet. Because you understand physics, how gravity and the slope of the stone shape that result.” She slid the tip of her tail over to the drop and it followed her tail instead. “By choosing to put my tail into the water drop’s path, I have altered the destination. I don’t know if you are just seeing where the drop of water will flow, if you are seeing what you fear, or if it is truly a dream of the future. Perhaps If’Ni is giving you these dreams so that you can place your tail in the way of the water drop.”

"If'Ni is the amalgamate of the dead. She's rather… Inflexible. Especially considering her aspects of memory and necessity." Ali gave a soft shrug. "How could I have stopped Turassiel from happening? How could I stop Mishhu on Shurista? These are things outside the scope and power of one mortal woman, no matter her species. If I had gotten dreams about Adonis, or about Gashmere, sure. But this?"

Shaking her head, Aliset considered the situation. "Certainly, a single touch in a field of asteroids can mean the difference between a world killer and a fireworks display. But there is such a thing as too little too late."

Morelia nodded, her eyes unfocusing as she looked across the pond. “I know little of If’Ni, but I do know Naga’Shun. She will guide you, but rarely through the easy path. If you sleep beneath the branches tonight, expect a path to be placed before you.”

"Thank you, sister." Leaning up, Aliset looked for the tree in question, despite that she operated on a vague description at best, and her implants could barely get a clear enough signal to search for images for her. "Would any of us come if we had clear or easy paths before us already? I like Naga'Shun more, anyway. Her clergy is nicer."

Morelia laughed and stood, “You haven’t met any Templar yet. They can be quite unpleasant. Come, the sun is setting. Do you have any aches or pains? Did you bring a pillow?” She asked as they took a path.

"Not since the body transfer. And I brought my coat. The Starmount area's rather cold for me."

“That will be enough.” Marelia said as they turned a corner. A large tree standing about twenty meters tall was there. It had white bark and large green leaves. Between the leaves were flashes of golden flowers and silvery nuts. As they approached the tree, she picked a silvery nut from off the ground, giving it to Aliset. “It’s not fertilized, so the meat inside is good to eat.”

Hand a Senti something vaguely food shaped and tell them it's edible, and one should not be surprised when they put it in their mouth. Aliset's jaw worked quickly, positioning and then splitting the nut with ease. Pulling it out, she used her thumb to finish the split and offered half the meat to Morelia with a soft smile. "I heard these are a delicacy. Will your temple be offering these at the market? I feel like Sacre would enjoy having some brought back for her."

Morelia took the other half of the nut gratefully. Chewing on it as she reached up and grabbed some of the leaves. “We will, at our fundraiser, we'll auction some of the bounty off to help pay for the temple. However, we’ll keep some for rituals and other things.” She explained, turning to head towards a small cabin. They entered the cabin and went into the Kitchen. It was a large kitchen, with natural materials wherever they could be.

Moralia used the leaves to make a tea, and pulled two hand sized loaves of bread out. The table would have sat about six, but didn’t have any chairs around it. She stood across the table and offered the bread to Aliset. It was relatively dense, with a texture somewhere between a cookie and bread. “The bread is Bassalim, we will eat, and then you will spend the night under the tree. Or in it if you wish. As you eat, focus your mind on the problem that you need assistance with.”

Taking one of the loaves in hand, Aliset's brows furrowed, focusing, boiling all the chaos and questions of her life down towards one single, distilled question. Popping the loaf open, she took a small bite.

"I take it I am not the first of another race to seek the answers, here, then? You strike me as a teacher as much as a lady of faith… Bassalim," she worked her mouth and voice around the word, ensuring she got the pronunciation right. She was planning to do as much learning as possible, growing into the culture and people, considering how much time she expected to spend around them. Right, focus. She needed help understanding her abilities, the same ability that had followed her between bodies, and to understand the choice she had. If any.

She laughed, “My husband is a Kodian. So no, I’m not unfamiliar with people of other species coming here for questions. With other Separa’Shan I use the rituals they are familiar with. How you eat the leaves, what questions need to be asked, every element of the ritual is all subject to some pretty wild local variation. With species that I don’t know, I have to figure out what is going to speak to them best. It’s not an exact science. With you, I suspect you prefer the more direct route. Ask the questions to get to the bottom of what’s bothering you, drink the tea with a bit of bread, then go camping for the night. You don’t need me to say ‘May the blessings of Naga’Shun guide your dreams’ or to sing a song before you go to sleep. Some just come out here and sleep under the tree without consulting a priest at all. As long as you are respectful, you don’t get to meet the Templar.” She explained.

"If I'm gonna meet the Templar, it's gonna be on friendly terms with gifts of cannonfruit brandy!" Ali set gave a soft chuckle. "But you're dead on. I don't like big flashy things, generally speaking. Especially if I don't need a fancy ritual. Your husband's a lucky man. Maybe one day you can teach me the ways of the clergy. Though I suspect if I became a priestess, my wife would be somewhat incensed. Not wearing my guts like her mom's pashmina mad, but not far off."

Moralia lifted her eyebrow, “Why would she be mad about something like that?”

"So she claims to be atheistic or agnostic, but the way she bristles when I make a religious comment makes me think she's more antitheistic. Not a big thing or a deal breaker by any means. Even the most devout and zealous of my former people are fairly tame by religious standards. But somehow I feel like if I were to become a priest, that may rub her scales wrong. You know, she wanted to be a priestess-astronomer when she was young. A lot happened." Finishing her serving of the bread, she thought for a moment. "Almost as wise as you. Though snarky and sarcastic. I think she could still do well."

“Separa’Shan are more religious on average than most Yamataians. It helps that we have all seen our God’s power. We witnessed, in our midst, the days of awe. However, it applies equally to when one of us loses faith as well. That faith also tends to be very strong. I will pray for her.” Moralia looked out the window, “Good, it is getting dark. You may sleep under the tree, if you need anything, knock on the door and myself or one of the other clergy here will help you.”

"Thank you. I… that explains a lot. I'll do what I can for her." Offering a small bow, Aliset turned, slipping out into the night to listen to the evening and find herself some soft earth to curl into. Aside the oppressive gravity, it reminded her of nights in her youth, slipping away from a farmer's market to nap in the orchards of one of Shurista's myriad domes. The air was cool, for her, and she realized how much she had missed that. Giving her messages a quick glance, she placed her jacket and curled into the brush to sleep.

Aliset didn’t get the dream she expected. It was a simple dream, she was back on Shurista. Sacre was there with her. Aliset held in her arms a large silvery nut and was planting it in soil and fertilizer. The tree grew and grew until it became a healthy and strong Lissragyd with many Separa’Shan under it and in its branches.

She awoke to a sudden pain on the top of her head. She was instantly awake with the sun rising in the east. She looked around to find a nut the size of a football resting beside her. It must have fallen, then rolled to hit her in the head.

Screwing her eyes shut against the sun, Aliset leaned up, rolling her head as she considered her dream, before digging in her jacket for her notebook to write down what she saw. As her hand found the nut, she looked, and her confusion grew. Throwing her jacket over her shoulders and picking up the nut, she brought it back to the cabin to tuck it under her arm and knock on the door. "I think Naga'Shun Newtoned me. Or has a terrible sense of humor. Can't tell."

Morelia was cooking breakfast of fish, rice, some vegetables, and miso soup. It was a very Yamataian style meal. “She does do that. So what did you dream about?” She asked, her eyes darting to the large nut and there was a gleam in her eye that told Aliset she had her suspicions.

"I wrote it down before it could fade. Do you read Shuristan? Cause I think I'm supposed to plant this. I recognized the ag dome. It's one of the preservation domes near Capricorn." Aliset offered the notebook, setting the nut on the table. "Aqusen, I think. I know there's some Separa refugees on Shurista, but I don't know how many. I thought they didn't like null gravity, but a few of the older preservation domes have gravity. Mostly for environment simulation. This needs a rainforest environment, right?"

Morelia shook her head, “I don’t read Shuristan, I’m still learning Yamataian. They don’t need a specific environment, they grow pretty much anywhere. They will grow faster in a jungle like environment, but that’s not a requirement. Hot, Cold, Wet, Dry, it doesn’t matter too much to a Lissragyd. They are a very hardy species. It sounds like you’ve figured out pretty quickly what your dream means and what Naga’Shun wants you to do.”

"Based entirely on prior impressions telling me if she's gonna be direct, it's gonna be extremely so. And may not be the most comfortable sensation. Honestly, I think she's gonna get along with If'Ni." Aliset gave a shrug before starting to translate her notes into what little Essian she knew how to write. "You know I speak better Essian than I write, right?"

Morelia served the breakfast for Aliset and herself. “You didn’t mention you spoke Essian.” She replied in her native language.

"Because I speak like a drunk child," she gave a soft laugh, knowing her pronunciation was distorted by her own native accent. Finishing the translation, she flipped the notebook around, trading it for breakfast. "And I use it less than I like. Marrying a Separa and not speak the tongue? Do I look Katamuran?"

“I don’t know what a Katamuran looks like.”
Morelia said, reading the translation of the dream. “Something to remember is that when Naga’Shun tells us to do something, there is often something else that she intends to do as well. Sacre’s presence is likely something Naga’Shun sees as being important. She rarely has merely one reason for doing something. Given that you are having what may be prophetic dreams, this errand may be giving you an excuse to go and allay your fears. One way or another.”

"Or to help Sacre heal her wounds. This is an important event, starting a temple. I will need her help to do it right."
Furrowing her brows, Aliset's thoughts began to wander. "Though if the dreams are telling, this could also be a danger. Could be big problems. Aah… Katamura is pirates. Senti pirates. Useful. But unpredictable. I have friends there. Not good friends, but good enough."

She sent a text message off to Sacre as she tried to wrap her head around the still fragmenting complexities of her situation. She included a photo from her eyes of the fertilized nut at her elbow. <Hey, sweetie, remember how you wanted to help with the clergy when you were young? Well, your goddess just dropped this in my lap. Wanna go to Shurista?>

<😒 Not my Goddess. I left that stupid superstition behind a long time ago.😒> Sacre replied.

<The dream specifically showed you there. I'm chatting with one of the priestesses over breakfast. Want anything from the farmer's market on my way back?>

<😒Looks like I’m getting dragged along on this adventure regardless of if I like it or not…😒 If you could find an ounce of critical thinking, that’d be nice. But you're at a temple, so they never had any in the first place. The only good thing to come out of there are Lissragyd nuts, well, and the leaves and the sap too I guess. I’m going wherever your going, even if it’s on an errand for some delusional priest.>

<She didn't hand it to me. The tree dropped it on me while I was asleep. I think there's a bit of a difference. Now whatever you think that cheeky old snake is, we both know there's an annoying level of reality, here. Besides. I came here because the mishhu dreams haven't stopped and critical thinking has so far failed. Now I'll get you your Lissragyd derivitives, but I might have to trade a few bottles of my good brandy for it.> Returning her focus to Morelia, she offered a smile. "And just like that, Sacre is annoyed. I'll handle it. But she does want some Lissragyd sap and leaves. And I would like to learn to make Bassalim."

“Certainly, so you start by making some flour. It’s just the meat of the nuts in a blender until it’s the consistency you like.”
Morelia moved from the table to the kitchen, motioning for Aliset to join her. She took a jar and opened it, “Where I grew up on Essia, we ate eggs. But in other parts it’s a pretty big taboo, there have even been a few wars over it. Because we serve all Separa’Shan here, we don’t use them, but you are free to at home. The flour is a good substitute for anytime you would be using regular flour. So we use aquafaba instead.” She said, pouring the egg substitute into a bowl with the flour.

"Fair enough. We don't eat eggs at home, either. So I will likely use that method. Or applesauce. One of my husbands taught me that one." Giving a nod, she watched carefully, committing the recipe to memory as she planned her next big surprise for Sacre. "She's from Apollo, I think."

“So with the ingredients added, we can mix it up. Why don’t you do that while I start the oven?”
Morelia said, starting the oven preheating. “Apollo is one of our largest cities, so not surprising. Of course it’s grown a lot over the years. Especially given the manufacturing base. As Essia industrialized, Apollo had an advantage so a lot of people moved there.”

“Never been.” Aliset gave a soft shrug, stepping over Morelia’s tail to get past her and mix the ingredients. “I wouldn’t know what it’s like. Sac--- She doesn’t talk about it much. With what happened, I’m not surprised.”

“You should go some time. The Shimmering Path has some of the most Beautiful Temples anywhere. Swim in the blue hole. Watch the sunset over the Agean Islands.”
Morelia talked about Essia's beauty as the bread baked.

"While swimming isn't something my kind are known for, it sounds stunning, and I will ensure to drag Sacre back to Essia on our next leave. Perhaps bring our foster." Aliset gave a soft chuckle at the thought, before coming back to reality. "Your hospitality is far more than I would have expected. Thank you for all this."

Morelia handed Aliset the warm bread wrapped for transport. "Your welcome, feel free to come by anytime.”

~~~

Later the same evening, Aliset arrived home safe, plunking the seed down on the coffee table before moving into the kitchen to unload her haul. “Please don’t be mad, at least not as mad as when I dropped out of SAAMMS. But apparently I got thrown into a quest and I’m about as happy about it as you’re gonna be. On the plus side, we might get to meet my side of the family. Assuming we’re up for a trip to the spaceport.”

As Aliset began loading the pantry, she grumbled in Shuristan about having to prep the seed and remember Shuristan transport laws, the number of calls she would have to make to even arrange delivery authorization for it.

Sacre looked at the nut, but didn't touch it. “I'm not mad, disappointed perhaps that you fell for a conman with hallucinogenic tea trying to send you on some foolish idealistic crusade, but whatever. It will be good to see my future relatives.”

“Eeh, if it means inconveniencing the Shuristan governor and the Councils, I’m down. Khelas is a jackass who called me a walking political disaster. And probably thinks I’m some kind of traitor, so I want to cause her headaches. We’re just planting a tree. And we don’t even know if Lissygaryd tea is hallucinogenic for Senti. But I’ve also seen some of the data coming out of Shurista on that blight affecting crops. I can’t make heads or tails of it, but it’s carbon based. Maybe you can.” Giving a shrug, Aliset returned from the kitchen, holding up a small bag and a tablet. “Morelia taught me to make bassalim. I managed to track down last year’s bounty and got them to sell me some extra sap and tea, a few handfuls of nuts. It’s not much, but special occasions. She used aquafaba, I’ll probably use applesauce. I downloaded all the available information here. This is directly from the Civil Service. Courtesy of your future father in law.”

Sacre took a look at the information. “Interesting, that’s not something I’ve seen before.” She said. She took a breath, “Fine, I won’t be bored while I’m there. Can we visit the great library? I’d like to go there again without being on a mission.”

“The Grand Library? I’m sure we’ll be spending a solid chunk of time in there. The dome from the planting dream was a part of it. A preservation dome near Capricorn.” Another shrug from Aliset. “Keep in mind, I’m not exactly welcome, there. You know, the whole Skydasir, first Senti warrior, first Senti ST patient, and the fact I’m chunky. I’m probably going to have a bad time.”

“You know, I don’t think we have the same definition of ‘bad time’. Unless it involves at least a Mishhu and a teleporter that’s out, it’s probably not a ‘bad time’. Also if they get too ornery, I can stab them.” Sacre said, performing one of her slights of hands to make a knife seem to appear in her hand.

“Senti don’t have teleporters, and I have a feeling the Mishhu situation on Shurista isn’t over,” Aliset gave a small smirk and a shake of her head. “We got this, though. Just… Don’t stab anyone you don’t have to? They tend to stab back. Just like I tried to do to Ven.”

RPG-D RPGfix
Back