• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 188604 [188604] 10: Dr. Hardbody

Z

Zack

ON> Bar, Osman City Ragna-City

A few days ago, the city's main printing presses had been just a pile of burnt wood covering the metal presses that had once been used for printing.

Now, they were a bunch of char-covered metal presses, being tended to by work crews doing their best to scrub them clean. The charr'd wood had been moved away into a pile, and new logs had already been placed in posts around the printing presses. They had come a long way since the project started, and it wouldn't be much longer before the new walls were in place.

"I don't think it'll be too much longer..." Josward reported, setting his coat aside as he took a break from his work, the local man taking a seat near Arccos, "... Though, we could use a hand bringing the wood in from the forests. It would be a lot easier if your power armor......" His voice trailed off, as another one of the power armored soldiers from another world walked into view. The locals had been getting quite used to Arccos, and only Arccos.

"Hey Arc!" Uso shouted over the general comms, "You've been busy... Hell, your guys are looking better trained than the unit Raph's putting together... got a moment to spare from your current project to talk? We got a new crew member and I think you two will work well together... Namely, he needs a clinic, and you've got a construction crew."

Caught between two different conversations going on in the same head space, Arccos just held up her palm to Josward; mumbling the words 'one moment'.

"I'm finishing up out here shortly. Going to give my boys a break from woodcutting to head home, then go out and haul some construction supplies in. How long is this going to take, your Grace?" she replied over the comms

"Your grace? Is that what you're supposed to be called around here boss?" A familiar voice would call out from the vocals of the power armor and over the comm. net, as the helmet cracked open and Rips face would appear from within it, the giant ID-SOL smiling broadly, "Long time no see Arccos. This is where you and the guys from Ragnorak have been holed up since we last met up?" He asked cheerfully. The titan of a man, over 9 feet in height, would wave in a friendly manner at Arccos and her companion. "Unless the boss has something more to tell you, it should just be introducing me, from there we can figure out the best way to set up a hospital/clinic for the area."

"Ambitous and motivated!" Uso sounded quite happy, clapping her hands together once, and watching the scene unfold.

From her seat by Josward, Arccos popped her helmet from her own armor off, seemingly only just now noticing these people were right there. Her chalk white hair somewhat messy from a long day's work, 'Well. Doc Hardbody, looks like you finally made it to the back end of the galaxy... Thought you were still at the palace, sorry..." her voice echoed both in the present sense and from the comms, causing a slight echo. "Glad to see these folk are going to start living to a hundred and fiftieth birthdays."

"Josward, meet Dr. Torr, he probably brings space medicine." she nudged her own personal general in the shoulder with a power armored elbow, "Rip, this is Josward Braith, he's been helping me out."

"I do bring LIMITED space medicine, but that's for emergencies until the infrastructure gets put into place to replicate it," he says, offering a power armored hand with delicate carefulness to the man, "It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Josward. I'm Dr. Rip D. Torr." he says smiling jovially, the crows feet at his eyes scrunching up as the smile reaches his eyes, genuinely happy to be meeting any friend of Arccos'. If the man had the guts to actually shake hands with someone in power armor, he'd find that Rip was overly gentle with the motions, obviously knowing just how much force could be put into one of these things, and still getting used to finer detail motions while inside of this set of armor. "I'm sure we'll be speaking more in the future, I've got plenty of questions as to the limits of medical science here on..." he actually scrunches up his brow, "I just realized... no one has actually told me what you folks call your own planet? Everyone's just been referring to it by the number designation in the stellar registries."

"Another one of your friends from space.... he is.... big..." Josward responded, looking up at the hulking space-man before him, his hand extending to shake. "We got a lot of names for it... The Osmans government called it Osman... Some of the towns around here just called it Mire... I've heard a few other words used for it, Glebe, Loam... but I ain't exactly been around enough of this place to know what everyone else calls it." The locals spoke a language that was very similar to trade... and the software provided by Ragnarok was able to fill in the gaps here and there... which made conversing with them very easy.

"The Elysians called it 188604, I suggested it be renamed Here Lies, and a lot of the Ragnarok crew thinks it should be called Ragna-rock. But it's "Home" to a lot of people so..." Arccos just shrugged, not bothering to complete her explanation. "Right now we're just working on fixing up communications, manufacturing and housing for the city. If we're talking blueprints for a clinic you've got a waiting line. Right behind everyone homeless after the fire."

"Then I'd better set up a field clinic, we brought the supplies for that... we can triage the worst cases and save a few more folks, those who wouldn't otherwise live..." he sighs, "There was some kind of big fire then? How many hurt?" He knew how bad fires could be, even in advanced cities if parts of the infrastructure meant to defend against them failed, it was especially common on Nepleslia leading up to the unification, as the street wars had often made emergency services impossible, so if a fire started in some high rise and wasn't cut off locally, and then more started, well it could get bad. That was thankfully far less common these days, but even now Arson was on the list of 'Blues won't look too hard at any lynch mobs stringing up the perpetrator' list of acceptable Nepleslian mob justice.

"Around the time we landed, someone set fire to a warehouse full of something called 'black powder'. Took a good chunk of the city, but we got a lot out, and we stopped it from spreading." she blinked a few times in thought, "So far most people are too afraid to come out of their homes, since a lot of us just sort of... Lurk around in power armor up at the palace. I'm the only one who comes out. Not many have come forth with information on wounded."

"Seriously? That's the stupidest thing you guys could be doing, you have to get out and lias with the population otherwise you turn into the other, and the other is just another word for 'an enemy we've not killed yet'. There's no point in uplifting this place if it's just gonna turn around and nuke us to hell and back."

Arccos just looked aside to where Uso was standing "Yeah, might not want to tell the Empress here that her people are being stupid. I'm working on it anyway... Getting out there, making all this normal... For everyone."

"Good, well we should try to get our own folks mingling if nothing else... I have to get in amongst the population, find out who the doctors are..." he pauses, then looks at Josward, "Excuse me Mr. Josward? How are doctors normally looked on in your communities? I've read historical accounts of them classically being, well, one step removed from butchers on some primitive colonies. I'm worried I'll have to move against that preconception here as well."

"I suppose our doctors would seem like Butchers to you... they do sometimes need to amputate... If you are worried about superstition, then you are in the wrong place. This is the largest city on the planet, not some small backwater town. We don't believe in ghosts or evil spirits. We have anti-biotics... and a few medicines made from local plants. But we've seen how our weapons compare to yours... I suspect our medicine compares in much the same way." He replied. Of course, his idea of a large city might have been a bit funny to Rip. What used to be Osman city stretched out for online a few miles, made of densely packed wood and stone buildings that never reached more than 2-3 stories high.

"Yeah, you haven't really spent enough time with Ragnarok... Probably going to end in disaster if you let them mingle." Arccos said, standing and walking over to Uso; one part to let Rip get his info, two parts needing to get stuff done, "A moment, your grace?"

"Oh... you," Uso said, though Arc couldn't exactly see the smile on her face, "Whacha need? ... you've done a good job here so far... and we need to fill the two cargo containers on the Queen's Slave with Algaeia and water as soon as possible. I think your men here would be great for that."

She looked over at the printing press for a moment... not quite knowing what the machine was, though it didn't seem to hold her interest for more than a moment,

"We trade the first batch of Proteins and water to the spacers, we get a bit of money and some industrial level concrete production. We can start laying foundations, maybe make some apartments out of more cargo containers. I would like it if you helped with the development plans."

Arccos nodded a few times, just as a way of showing she was listening. Her eyes however seemed to be looking slightly to Uso's left. Wasn't like she could see through the helmet to go for expressions anyway.

"Well you're going to have to worry about more harvesting than for trade. A few days ago these guys were going on about how the city was running out of food. We're housing the remnants of two armies, and have a big-ass civilian population... Your grace." The honorific came as an afterthought. "You'll have to tell the rest of Ragnarok to claim whatever algae trawlers they can out on the sea there."

The taller spacer looked around for a moment, making sure not many were around to listen in on this.

"As well most of these guys don't really know what they're doing. I've just been getting them rounding up local craftsmen to see what they got. Josward says most of 'em only know how to stand in line and shoot a gun. This is more like... I dunno. I'm sheriff of Usoton and these are my deputies and headbusters."

"Got any heads to bust around here?" Uso asked, "Those guys can just eat the green stuff in the water... I assume the food this place has will last a few more days right? We just have to get the Queen's Slave fitted for Green-stuff harvesting in that time. The planet is FULL of the stuff and it is edible. We can harvest it like no one on this planet has ever seen and the Spacers will buy whatever we can't eat.... Wait... craftsmen? What can they craft?"

"They use this wood stuff. There's a few gunsmiths, I have some people out looking for engineers. The wood shit is weird, they took me to where it grows. Huge pillars of the stuff, they bled on me when they cut them with saws..." Arccos looked slightly disgusted just by the mere thought of wood-blood.

"I was working with the idea that they'll be more useful if we teach 'em stuff. A lot of them are really willing to learn, bunch of 'em went nuts at the idea of growing real food. Problem is that if th' city starts to starve you'll have a real uprising on your hands. That's when head busting comes into play."

"We should see about making this place self sufficient before we even begin exploiting it for direct profit, poor money back into the local economy rather than just taking and selling it elsewhere, once this place is building its own orbital infrastructure, then it'll be self sustaining on an interstellar scale, able to compete with all but the most resource focused colonies... well... we could boot strap it faster, but it'd take a lot more money, and importing pretty much every bit of machinery and infrastructure we can... rather than trying to get them to the point of making it themselves."

"These people are stacking sticks together and calling it a home, orbital infrastructure is a ways away for them. The way I see it we need to focus on the biggest gains we can get with our next purchase. Concrete for foundations, upgrades to the Queen's slave to harvest more material from this planet. If we can fill the containers up maybe once a day, 6ish hours to the spacer station, another six back... we can start bringing in some real gear. Construction bots, farming.... whatevers... I can't feed or self-sufficient this place with what we have now." Uso replied.

"Fill the container, haul it out to orbit, freeze the water, then pull it out of the container in a block. Don't know how your ship works but it's good for hauling more ice in chunks. Bigass block will stay frozen for six hours, though you may want to mop out your cargo holds afterwards." Arccos suggested, rubbing her power armored finger and thumb to her eyes, suggesting that... Well yeah, that Rip wasn't exactly making sense to her either.

"And Rip? We're worried about everyone going into a blood fury over not eating. Immediate concerns, yeah?"

Rip rubs his chin, "Ah, that's kinda what I mean by 'bootstrap the infrastructure', food is up there with what you need. I read the people here eat processed algea? Any idea on how they go about doing that? The best way to help might be to just set up more and better such processors for the time being until something better can be put in. They'll be familiar, easy for them to figure out how to operate even if they're more advanced than what they got now, and will provide a familiar food source. What I'm getting at is that you don't want to just... I dunno, it sounds like boss you want to start getting money out of this place like a pinata... you're talking like the gang bosses back in Funky City do when they get some new neighborhood under their control. They don't worry about repairing the damage the gang war they were in to claim the damn place, they want their protection money right then you know? What I'm getting at is that 'profit' is probably not in the equation in any personal sense until the whole 'able to support themselves' thing." He shrugs, realizing his musings had completely lost his audience, "you know what, forget it. Just tell me where you need to me to do shit and help out, and I'll let you two braniacs do the planning and worrying about funding and what needs to happen next."

"YOU!" Uso shouted, pointing at the soldier that Rip and Arc had been speaking to earlier, "How do you prepare and eat that green stuff?"

"Me? I'm Josward... Josward Braith."

"Don't care, not learning your name. Just wanna know how you make the green stuff into food." Uso snapped,

"Well... it is edible almost immediately... it kinda needs to grow just a little bit so we have these pans with strainers that we can use to sift out the too-small ones. Then you can just eat them like they are tree-fruit, or leave them out and let them dry out like Jerky for use later. I like mine with a little salt... some people cook em once they've dried em." He said, starting to go on about the different ways one could prepare the food, only for Uso to cut him off again,

"Great... so we just need to gather the stuff, and drop it off... City: Fed." Uso said, "Maybe put some scoop-things on the bottom of the Queen's Slave? Some filters on the back, just skim the stuff out of the water and dump it here. The Freezing thing is a pretty good idea too Arc. Though I'm going to need to take a few of our power armored soldiers up there to do that work EVA... That leaves you Rip. "

Uso would turn toward Rip and address him directly,

"Frankly, I really don't care what happens to these people for the time being, I want to get paid. The faster I get paid, the faster I can use that money to build this place up. Right now we're on the clock, eventually someone is going to find us and either we have this place up and running, or they are just going to take it from us.

What I need from you is that clinic of yours. Get people healthy, find something for them to work on that turns a profit, then we turn that profit into something that uplifts this whole place... Right now I'm the devil you know."

Arccos would just stand behind Uso the whole rant at Rip, eyes closed, and gesturing as if to say this is why I don't mingle them. Although she quickly stepped from that and rejoined the whole conversation deal.

"We know, you're the devil. Don't worry, everyone's still terrified of you." Arccos' own power armor scraped on Uso's as she slid an arm around her shoulder, "I'll get some people who can make nets to make something to skim from the sea, and we'll bring in the engineers to see what they can do with more of the shipping containers."

Rip just raised an eyebrow at the whole thing, "Alright, sounds like a plan, I'll get a field hospital set up in the city once we get back," he turns to Arccos, "You need help carrying big heavy things right now right? Do you want to talk and walk as we go so we can get this ball rolling?"

"Problem solving skills are cute... " Uso said, "I might need to see more of you later.... Go have them start making nets. The containers are just big rectangles... it shouldn't be hard for them to figure out how to put nets in them and drill some holes.... Go forth, figure shit out. I'll grab some of the other guys and start loading the containers... That leaves the two of you with a few hours to decide what I need to get next for the greatest benefit."

Arccos leaned slightly against the Empress, putting the weight of herself and the industrial power armor she wore on her for just a split second before pulling away with a slight swagger. Whatever the actual action was, it was lost through layers of armor and servos. But there had been some sort of her pressing herself against Uso. "Nets will be sent to the pay docket, and I'll have to see about dealing with the blowback of the ship putting their algae farmers out of business... If you need to see me, my room's in the old palace's attic..."

Stepping over to reclaim the helmet of her armor, Arccos stomped across the room towards Rip. It was hard not to in full metal regalia. "And you might not need to worry about setting up a clinic as a physical building, Doc Hardbody. Most of the burnt out part of the city was warehouses and tenement housing towards the desert side. Important stuff seemed to be close to the water and palace, more fully in the shadow of the mountain to protect against the sandstorms. Biggest city on the planet probably has a Royal Osman Hospital or something you can take over."

"Alright, I'd still like to set up an aid station for the damaged district, but it can be a simple tent afair." He considered as he began to follow her, "Besides, contacting the local medical professionals will be critical, so it's a good idea to start at the local hospitals if they actually have them."

Uso didn't quite know how to take Arcco's movements, and just played it off for the moment, "... Good point, though I don't think we have any tents here... none the size you're probably wanting. I expect just about everything's a tight fit for you."

"Uh... We do have a hospital," Josward added, "... there are lots of wounded there from the battle before you guys showed up... I mean, it isn't like many of our people survived being shot by your weapons. There is barely enough of them left to burry."

"Its a war, people die." Uso said, "But thanks for that... Maybe you and hardbody should go check it out.... Arc, figure out what your title is going to be. Mistress of the interior, Empress of internal affairs... Whatever you like. I'm gonna be using your skills a lot as this goes on."

"My actual designated title is 'Codebreaker'... But that sounds bad..." Arccos scratched her head ineffectively, before looking confused at her hand... Her head wasn't itching. "Mistress is better for other stuff, and Empress implies I want to be equal rank to you, Your Grace."

The helmet would be replaced, and resealed over the 'spacer's head. "Just call me... I dunno. I'm keeping order around here, just make me High Sheriff or whatever. Lady High Sheriff Arccos..."

"Mmhmm.... I suppose I should get you a tin-star to wear on your armor," Uso said, wondering for just a moment was Arc was up to.

While those two were discussing titles, Rip was busy talking with Josward, trying to get a feel for how doctors were thought of, survival rates, the types of medicine commonly used, things like that. "I've also got Medical data readers," so saying he pulled out an example datajocky from a slot hung from his field surgery kit, "Like these, I've brought about a hundred of them to distribute to any local medical professionals, translated according to Uso, so once I set up shop I'll be distributing these. Can you make sure one of them makes it to whoever is incharge of the hospital? Or should I talk to someone else about that?"

"Well... I'm not exactly a doctor. I have a bit of battlefield medicine... like I can stop bleeding and such but I'm not so good at the longer term illnesses." He would take a look at the Datajockey, moving side to side a bit to get a better look, "Does it transform or something?"

"I don't know who's in charge of the hospital either, but I can take you there. Last I heard it was overflowing from the battle earlier... but things may have died down... though people who have the cough might be needing your help sooner rather than later." He would pause and look at Rip for a moment before realizing that the space-man had no way of knowing what 'the cough' was. "Nearest of what I understand is that all this dust in the air gets into peoples bodies and starts building up. Sometimes you just cough a lot and maybe go visit the sauna at the hospital to help clear ya out. Sometimes you end up coughing blood, and in those cases you usually die in a month or so."

Rip considers, plugging in the symptoms described to him into his own Datajockey, letting the AI run them for similar disorders, pulling up several things, but he'd need more information before he could narrow it down from the dozen or so possibilities.

Josward would slowly make his way around to Rip's side, standing up on his tip toes so that he could have a look at what was going on. The Datajockey itself seemed to fascinate him, the man quietly watching as the massive ID-Sol used the device. It wasn't hard for it to come up with possible explanations... the problem was clearly some kind of respiratory infection. The high amount of grit in the air was the likely culprit too... but he'd need to examine some people directly in order to get a better understanding.

"Tin star, fancy hat, maybe some spurs..." Arccos shrugged, her armor whining, "I may as well play the part I'm going along with, before we apparently all die of asbestos in the sand... Anyway, me and Rip have some boring work to do, anything else I can help you with before I get to lifting wood poles? ...Your Grace."

"Maybe if that's all you're wearing I'd have another job for you." Uso said, "... I do appriciate your initative here... come see me after you're done."

There was just a small shift in the angle of Arccos' helmet outwardly, as inside it her expression twisted into one of utter confusion, and a little bit of panic. She at least managed to keep about half of the reaction from her voice.

"...Alright." she gave a shallow, but overly flamboyant bow, "I'll see you at the ship, your Grace."

Armored boots stepping along the dusty street, Arccos carefully opened a secured comm link to Rip alone. Even making sure to monitor the signal it for any eavesdroppers, "Rip... Uh. I... Think our employer that would be Empress wants to fuck me. I'm not used to having a client-boss but this is a... Bad thing right?"

"You're asking the person from a planet where protection rackets have legalized themselves as a form of government about good employer-employee relationships and boundries?" Rip asks, well aware that Nepleslia's culture and ideas about what constitutes good business is not at all like what other planets tend to believe. "Back home it's usually how businesses become family businesses. But other places generally consider it a bad idea?" Rip shrugs, "I mean I generally consider it a bad idea as well, but I've seen it work."

"Are you suggesting I... 'Gold dig' the boss?" Rip could practically hear the clank of a power armored facepalm, "...Just, get Josward to take you to the hospital, I'll work out what's going on there after I move a wood shipment."

"I'm not suggesting anything, I'm saying I've seen it work out, I wouldn't do it, but it can go bad or good, just like anything else." He shrugged and nodded to Josward, "Lead the way." He said, and took after Josward, he was careful to keep his face mask open, he did not want to appear to be some strange walking behemoth, though he absolutely was, but to seem at least PARTIALLY human.

"You're just so damn reasonable, aren't you Rip? Never telling me what I want to hear! ...Guess I'll have to find some other reasonable excuse to turn down Empress Black Law..."

Training field, a few hours later >

The week of training that Raphael had put his officer through was grueling. Test after test, physical training after physical training. His final 10 officer that he had hand picked had been put through the ringer and hung out to dry.

But, today was the day. Today Raphael was going to hand out the rank patches that they had been fighting for. All striving to reach the top. Raphael had explained early in the week what they were working for.

The lower 5 recruits would earn a Lt. Rank. The next 3 would become captains. The second best would become a major and his top officer would become a colonel, who would work directly under General Braith.

Raphael sat in his office as he finalized the last of the recruits scores and assigned their ranks. He tapped his pen to the desk and sighed. Since his little incident be was forced to wear his power armor when ever he left. He walked out flanked by 2 Ragnar guards as he silently made his way to the makeshift armory and doned his armor. He did however leave the helmet off. He then walked outside and made his way to the assembled recruits.

Rubi stood among the ragged assembly of officer recruits, almost as tired and broken as they were. Still, she was driven mainly by the progress made within the past week getting embedded within the occupying forces, despite what Grant would've wanted. But other general seemed to hold more command than him as it seems. Still, she couldn't get too distracted with this...

As Raphael and his escorts approached to the group, everyone snapped to attention.

Raphael returned their salutes. "At ease." He said dropping his hand. "You all have worked very hard to get to this point, and I commend you. You have done well to reach this point." He said pacing. His guards stood still. "Now it is time to receive the fruits of your labor." He said stopping and looking across the line.

He began calling out names the first 5 were obvious. They were the lower rung of the recruits. Then came the captains. Then finally came the top two. He looked to Rubi and a younger man, who was average height, but was built like a rock. Rubi would have learned that the man's name was Conrad Smith. "Before I pass out the last to ranks, I have to say that you too made this very difficult. You are both to be commended." He looked down and finally said. "Kalan, Major." He said handing her the Major rank patch. "Congratulations Smith." He said passing him the Colonel patch.

Rubi took the patch and saluted, remaining calm on the surface. On the inside, she was screaming at herself. She was so close getting face-to-face with Braith and hell, maybe whoever was in charge of the invading force. But she blew it and lost it to Smith. Now she stuck herself in the enemy's army without much of a plan. Grant now had more ammunition on doubting her loyalties so reporting back to them would probably be a bad idea. It seemed her best course would be to try and get past Smith somehow.

Raphael smiled proudly at them all. "Congrats to everyone. You will all have a few days of leave before we begin training our enlisted men and women. Report back in three days at 0800 hours. Dismissed." He said saluting them all.

The group saluted back, congratulating Smith on his promotion and slowly dispersing. Rubi remained silently off the side for from the group, trying to hide her sulkiness before heading out on her own.

The Elysian looked across everyone and nodded. As everyone left the only people left was Rubi, Raph and his guards. Raphale walked up to Rubi and placed an armored hand softly on her shoulder. "Major Kalan, you did extremly well, there is no reason to beat yourself up over it." He said with a soft smile.

Rubi looked up at Raphael. She wanted to shout at him or try to beg the question of there being a mistake. There were several things she wanted to do, none of them helpful at the moment. She looked down at her Major patch. "Yeah, sure." She simply said.

Raphael shook his head. "Follow me Major." He said turning and walking back to the palace. His guards looked like they wanted to argue, but Raph held up a hand to silence them. "I wish to speak with the Major, she is in my branch thus I have that authority. Clear it with Cyrus if you must." He said continuing to walk. "Are you coming Ms. Kalan?" He asked without stopping.

Rubi looked at the guards, almost half-tempted to shrug and let them know she's confused as they are. But she followed after the winged man instead, leaving them on their own. Though she did wonder to herself who this Cyrus was as she walked up to next to Raphael.

Raphael walked in silence as they arrived at the palace. The guards followed closely behind them, now closely watching Rubi. As they reached the entrance more guards flanked and followed them inside. Raphael entered his office and the guards all stopped outside. "Please come inside." He said as he moved to exit his armor. He did locked the helmet in place and locked down the armor. It moved away and off in the corner standing guard. "Please have a seat."

The amount of guards on the other side of the door concerned Rubi, and now the suit of armor marching off on its own wasn't much of a help. She silently sat down down across from him, keeping her ears open for movement outside of the door.

Rapahel smiled and offered her a drink. "Ms. Kalan, I know you are upset with me. It is clear as day, so go ahead. Lay it on me." He said leaning back in his chair.

Rubi declined and looked some what unhappy. "I'm sure you know why I'm upset." She said flatly.

"Fine. You won't say it." Raph said throwing down a detailed report of the training scores. "You question my judgemnt than take a look Kalan." He said slightly annoyed.

Rubi glared and looked over the reports and scores. It was almost neck-and-neck every time between her and Smith. Physical, tactics, everything. But he finally edged out near the end with Command. She sighed passed the reports back. "Point proven."

He grabbed the report and looked at her. "You see how hard it was for me. That is why you are here in my office because I want to compensate you for it being so close." He said as he grabbed a drink and sipped it.

"And how exactly do you plan on doing that?" She asked, a bit of disdain in her voice.

Raphael looked at her with more annoyance. "Let me talk first before you get pissy." He said grabbing a folder. "I was considering taking you under my wing so to speak. I will personally train you and you will work directly under me. Smith will work under Braith. How does that sound?" He asked tossing her the folder with the official papers.

Rubi leaned back a bit, somewhat suprised by this. This was not the turn she was expecting. "I.... uh..." This would probably be the step up from killing Braith without having to kill him to get here. "'l'll... I'll do it." She said, sounding somewhat releaved by this. "Sorry about being moody it's just..." reached over grabbeda pen, thinking up an excuse. "Braith was always an idol of mine, growing up and all. I didn't agree with his politics but his skill in battle was... amazing... So I've heard and read and all." She sleared her throat and began signing.

Raphael smiled. "I am glad to hear it." He said pouring himself another drink and offering one to her. "A toast then?"

She smiled and took the drink before raising it up. "A toast."

Raphael nodded and raised a glass. "To new opportunities." He said throwing back his drink.

Rubi nodded back. "To new opportunities." She echoed before knocking back her drink.

He smiled and set his glass down. "Come then, let me give you a brief tour, You will be working with me so you will need to know how to get around. Of course you know I can't let youy near the classified areas just yet." He said moving to the door. "Follow me please."

Rubi set her glass down and nodded before following after Raphael. Despite the current circumstances, she always did want to have a tour of palace since she first saw the capital.

Raphael led Rubi around the palace. Showing her the staterooms, dining rooms, etc. As they walked they bummped into Uso. "Good morning Ma'am." he said formally, nodding to the young major following him.

"A local? I feel so under dressed... If you get yourself shot up again by not wearing armor I'm going to get upset." Uso herself had setup camp in one of the larger dining rooms, having piled much of the fancy furniture off in the corner... elegant chairs and cabinets stacked haphazardly in the corner so that she was free to move about the dinner table. Candlesticks, tablecloths, and silverware had all been cleared off, a pair of data pads setup on either side of the table projected a large map of the surrounding area. Old documents from the previous government had been brought up in wooden crates, and Uso had been looking through them, wearing little more than a pair of tight fitting black pants and a red workout tank-top that clung to her compact form, leaving the radiator slits on the sides of her arms exposed. Her usual heart shaped banks all pulled back and tucked into her ponytail.

She'd put her eyes on Raph for just a moment, then move to Rubi,

"Sampling the local flavor?" She asked.

"Please tell me she's not another Braith." another voice cut across the once-dining room. Arccos stepping in and slamming the door shut behind her haphazardly. No knocking; she never knocked. The tall woman was out of her armor, although from the sound of heavy metallic footsteps her own set was standing guard just outside. She wore her usual outfit, tight fitting jeans of some synthetic compound, knee length combat boots and a black tank top with black leather gloves. One of two identical outfits she had been wearing since day one on this dusty rock.

"You wanted to see me, Uso?" she asked, not really caring that she was interrupting.

Raphael shook his head. "No this is Major Kalan. She is working directly under me from here on out. Thought I should give her the tour. You just so happened to be here while I showed her around." He said as he entered the room, motioning for the Major to follow. As Arccos entered Raphael nodded slightly. "Hello Ms. Arccos, it has been awhile." He said politely.

Arccos blinked a couple of times, fingers digging in her pockets to pull out a small pack of cigarettes.

"A while since what? I think this is the first time we've talked."

Raphael thought for a moment. "I take that back, your right. It is nice to finally speak with you then." He said looking to her.

Uso looked over at Raph for a moment, then at Arccos... then back to her maps, letting this play out for the moment.

Rubi simply remained near Raphael, somewhat in awe by what she was surrounded by. First winged people, now a cat-eared woman and towering pale women? This was not the sort of thing she was expecting for an invading army.

"It is." Arccos gave a little nod, placing her smoke between her teeth and lighting it with a small device that only projected a pinpoint of light at the end, "Pity it took so long, but I guess we're all busy..."

"Some of us more than others..." Uso stood up straight, and looked over at Arccos, "She's gotten together her own group of dudes, and has gotten the printing presses up and running... which, I guess is less important. The important bit is that she's the new sheriff in town." She would put her hands on her hips for a moment, her fingers tapping,

"I still need to get you that tin star....."

Uso would head over to the silverware that had been stashed with the chairs and grabbed a few of the knives, cutting into the palm of her hand with one and letting some blood seep out onto it,

"'Course, there's more to it than that. I wanted to have a talk with you about what you'd need for your sherrifing duties. Having these locals put stuff back together on their own is great an all but you're going to need more equipment. Stuff that gives them an edge over the other locals but doesn't threaten us in quite the same way. Technicals maybe, since a few of those would wreck these local soldiers... you know, just grab a few surplus trucks next time we're at a starbase and bolt guns and armor to em."

Raphael silently looked back to his guest and silently mouthed 'Sorry.' He shrugged and looked back to the two as they talked. "Cyrus should be able to pick up some trucks while he gets his material for his project." He said vaguely, due to the current company.

"Ah yes, the new wing on the summer palace." Arccos bit, exhaling twin plumes of smoke and giving a sharp laugh.

Uso chuckled a bit, "Oh he'll hate me calling it that,"

She'd look over at Rubi, "So what do you think? What kind of badge is fitting for a lawman around here?" Uso would lift her hand up off the table, the blood having pooled around the silver knife, eating away at it until it had formed a pool in the share of a star, the metal starting to harden up into shape as the wound on her hand quickly healed up.

Staring at the pooling blood for a moment, Rubi stammered to speak at first. "Uh.... M-Maybe a simple sixed-sided star over a circle?" She kept her eyes on the blood as she spoke. "I don't honestly, most people I dealt with that had a badge usually had a paycheck for me to not acknowledge it too much."

"Not one of the locals then I take it?" Uso asked, her eyes now laser-focused on Rubi, "You might not respect the badge, but I'm sure there's some symbol of authority you recognize? A way your kind take care of your kind that aren't exactly acting like your kind,"

"I only learned what a paycheck was about eleven months back." Arccos mumbled to herself.

"I think that's a pretty complex way of calling me bounty hunter... I think." She muttered, slightly leaning back from Uso. "Though it was less about law and authority and more about not starving to death."

"Well we could make Arc's clothing edible," Uso said, casting a sidelong glance at her law-woman.

"Or I could just make sure people get fed." Arccos looked down at her own clothing, knowing exactly how much of it was edible or otherwise. "You know, just do the job well."

"Well the cops on the frontier didn't, hence why I had a fairly sucessful job as a bounty hunter." She waved out the towards the window and beyond the city. "Out there, laws varied from town to town. Now the closer to the city you got, you fell you under federal laws, and was handled directly by the soldiers of the Government."

"Yes, well I'm the one who can control mechanized soldiers with my mind on another continent if I wanted to. Pretty sure we'll have better range and ability to handle this stuff." Arccos tapped some ash to the floor of the old dining room, frowning at what she was hearing, "Sounds like I'll have to put a few frontier policemen up against the wall."

"Food and Order? I take it that sounds like a pretty good pitch?" Uso asked, diverting her attention back towards Rubi.

"This would imply that my star should have scales of justice weighing chicken drumsticks." Arccos sniggered, "We are truly a serious force to be reckoned with."

"Well I guess that's what most people strive for. Aside from those who are trying to get rich." She replied. "Though I don't think we need to include it in the badge..."

"Justice with a side of Drumsticks." Uso nodded along as if they were in agreement. She'd then turn back towards the table, picking up the fully-formed star and tossing it over to Arccos.

The 'spacer would snatch it out of the air, pinning it to her tank top unceremoniously, "You still owe me a fancy hat and spurs. And I'm now hungry."

"Hmph...." Uso grumble, "... We need a chief too... I know these guys love those packaged meals but I'm getting tired of them..." She'd casually point over at Rubi as she walked around the table again, "Boots, Spurs, Hat, Badge, Gun.... anything else?"

"Anything more expensive is a pipe dream at this point. We need to get the planet up and running before I go high tech." Arccos twisted her neck sideways, a small mechanical grinding noise in lieu of the usual cracking of bone, "Just get me what you can spare and I'll improvise."

Rubi thought before stopping at hearing the grinding noise from Arccos. She wanted to ask but decided against it for right now, letting the question linger in her mind. "... Restraints I guess? I mean, would bad if you couldn't find a way to restrain criminals."

"I will bet hard cash that there's cuffs somewhere around the palace. They probably had political prisoners restrained in the basement from what I've been hearing." the tall woman looked at Rubi, not blinking for just a little too long.

Rubi simply averted eye conact after a bit, coughing awkwardly. "I mean yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll find some down there. The government did have a bit of a problem with arresting people, hence the rebellion..."

Raphael silently watched as the three spoke. He quietly evaluated the Major as she dealt with Arccos and Uso. She was acting normally for the most part. Though she did throw up a few red flags as they spoke. He would be sure to keep tabs on her in the future. He finally cleared his throat as they finished speaking. "If you will excuse me I have some paperwork to do. Major, you have the next three days off, same as your fellow recruits. The guards will escort you out once you have finished speaking." Raphael said nodding to Rubi. "I will speak with you two later." He said over his shoulder as he turned and left, making his way to his office.

"Hmm... Maybe I should go talk to him?" Uso thought outloud, watching Raph leave for a moment before turning her attention to Arc, "So lets have some of these locals gather up the local prison-stuff and drop it off at..... you're going to need a law-office of some kind Arc."

"You want me out of the palace?" Arccos asked, finally stubbing out her cigarette. "I'm sure I'll find somewhere."

"There might be a few places for you to use scatted about the city, mainly the old sheriff's office on the north side of the city. Hopefully that wasn't destoryed in the fire..." She tried thinking of other locations far away from the where the Resistance was headquatered. "Other than that, I believe there was a barrack on the south side with cages that you could use."

"Oooh don't be like that Arc... you can setup anywhere but you're going to need to pick a place sometime." Uso added.

"I really don't want to think what they did with cages at the barracks. I'll just try and find a courthouse or something. Maybe the old Sheriff's office, but I don't want to just move in to replace the old shit with the same shit." Arccos sighed, "And we do need to find who lit that fire, we're copping the blame for it."

".... maaaan, it would be so much easier just to blame someone... " Uso huffed, "... Do this right ok? lets show them that we're not just space-savages."

"Well I'm taking my one hour off right now to celebrate my appointment as Sheriff, but that's what I intended to do." Arccos gave Uso a quick pat on the back, as if trying to ease her huff. "Got those printing presses up for wanted posters and such. Offer reward for information..."

Uso would break into a smile, "Sounds like you've got things well in hand... "

She would then turn her attention to Rubi, "And you... uh... Local-Flavor... You should probably go find Raph."

"Major Kalan." Arccos corrected.

"Uh, yes ma'am." Rubi said before turning and heading out of the palace, assuming that the three days leave meant stay away.

"'Yes, Your Grace.'" Arccos corrected a second time.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back