• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 188604 [188604] 16b : The Storm (Raphael and Aaron)

Z

Zack

::The Docks::

Raphael, in his black Aethedon armor, landed with a thud, leaving a crater where he landed. He quickly dropped to a crouch and drew his AMR rifle and scanned the area. Once he finished and saw no contacts he radioed in Aaron. "It's clear." He said standing and looking up to where Aaron was hovering.

Aaron slowly descended, seeming to be in much better control of the Hikael armor, but still a little shaky. He had brought one of his silver-plated revolvers in case they encountered any of Lewis's men. "So Lewis isn't here?" He asked curiously.

Raphael looked over to him. "No, it doesn't mean that. I means they were smart enough to do this in the middle of a sandstorm. The electrical storm is messing with our scanners. That said I don't see them around our landing sight. Just stay on your guard." He said holding his rifle in the ready position. "I'll take point."

There was plenty of movement inside of the docks, several men were loading barrels into the back of a pair of wagons as fast as they could, coats were drawn tightly around their bodies, and they all had goggles and bandannas fixed around their heads, leaving no skin exposed to the harsh weather as the wind continued to pick up. They seemed just as blinded by the storm as Raphael and Aaron.

Raphael dialed in his scope and concentrated. In his training he had to fight without a HUD. He watched the opening and saw the men moving all around the dock. "Aaron, we have the drop on Lewis's men. Should I engage?" He asked racking back the bolt.

The storm was nothing new to Grant, but he usually didn't travel during a storm like this. A few times he had to if he wanted to evade the government forces. "I would rather not kill them, but.. I guess we don't have much choice. Take them out. Just leave a few alive for questioning." He replied, readying himself to rush in and do battle. It had been so long, he had almost forgotten the feeling he got before a battle.

Raphael tapped his magazine. "Anti-Personnel rounds loaded." He spoke aiming down the sights. As he sighted in the first target he spoke one more time. "Engaging..." He said as the first round slammed into the soldiers chest. The action racked back and kicked out the spent casing as he sighted the next target. As soon as a new round was chambered he fired again and again and again. Picking off targets with pinpoint precision. The silencer on his weapon muffled the shots just enough so that they were lost in the sounds of the storm.

The shots Raphael was making would have been difficult for even the best sniper of the planet, requiring multiple shots, and undoubtedly making a lot of noise... but the new comers weapons were far more efficient. The men didn't even notice that they were being taken out until four of their number had fallen. There were then muffled yells, the rest retreating back into the harbor building and closing the door behind them, leaving one of the wagons outside.

"Let's move Aaron." Raph said taking off and gliding to the cart.

Aaron nodded and ran over to the cart, still much more comfortable on the ground. He opened one of the barrels to confirm the contents. "This much black powder is probably enough to destroy all of Osman City." He said with anger. "What the hell is Lewis thinking? This is crazy even for him."

The barrel was only mostly full of black powder. Mixed into the powder was bits and pieces of the alien ship that had crashed here only days before. A blanket further covered what was under the barrel of powder, but there was clearly more in the wagon than just explosives... of course, there were also men hiding inside of the structure.

Raphael shook his head and moved to the doors of the structure. "Breaching." Raph said as he stepped back, opened his wings, and barreled into the doors at full speed, turning himself into a human rocket.

The general noticed that a blanket was covering the contents of the wagon. He started to suggest that Raphael wait a moment but he was already gone. Deciding the wagon could wait he charged after Raphael with his revolver aimed at the opening the Elysian had created. He looked around the room for targets as he entered the building.

The door would shatter as Raphael charged through, sending splinters of wood through the entire room. There were only a handful of men left, two of which had just been knocked over by the door as Raphael changed through it. One of the soldiers still standing was hiding behind a pillar, loading his musket as quickly as he could while another picked up a torch and made a run for their small boat. It couldn't have been much bigger than a bus... but there was plenty of storage under the floor for black powder.

As Raph crashed through the door, he drew his combat knife and quckly attacked the man loading his musket. He slashed for the mans throat and quickly changed targets. He threw his knife into the back of the fleeing man's leg. Aiming for the back of his knees.

Aaron took aim at the chest of one of the men Raphael knocked over and fired, then took aim at the second. He didn't fire this time. Instead a simulacrum of his voice called out. "Move and I'll shoot your kneecaps off. I need you alive, but I don't care if you're in one piece."

"ACK!" The man running towards the boat fell face first onto the peir, he took a quick look at Raphael, and then threw his torch over to the boat... watching hopefully as it landed against the damp wood of the floorboards.

Meanwhile Aaron's prisoner froze in place, not quite willing to die right away.

"Shit!" Raphael said flying to the boat and dragging out into the harbor. Attempting to save the evidence and Aaron. As soon as it was in the middle of the canal he flew straight up in the air.

Aaron could only watch in dismay as Raphael pulled the boat away from the docks. When Aaron saw that he was unharmed, he moved over to the soldier on the floor and dragged him to his feet. He held the barrel of the revolver against his prisoner's forehead. "Where is Lewis, and what is that crazy bastard planning to do with all this powder?" The simulated voice said calmly.

As the boat continued to float out into the channel, the torch continued to burn...embers dripping out onto the deck... but the damp wood refused to catch on fire, depriving everyone of the massive explosion they were no doubt expecting... the boat just drifting away from the dock.

"C...come on man... don't kill me..." The soldier said, looking up at the barrel of the gun that was so casually pointed towards his head, "Look, his plan probably won't even work right? You're invulnerable in that armor.... Just let me go and I won't go back to working for him I promise..."

Raphael landed and walked over to man who he struck with the knife. He placed an armored foot on his back and pulled the knife out the back of his knee. "Why don't you tell me what this plan is?" He asked as he increased the pressure of the foot on the man's back.

"DIE INVADER!" The man half shouted, and half gasped... watching the ship intently, still desperately hoping that it would explode.

Grant pulled the hammer of his revolver back. "That may be, but what about the innocent people nearby when the powder goes off? The invaders aren't what I thought. They are humans just like.. Well, mostly just like us. Their leader may have done some terrible things in the past, and her plans may have selfish motives. But what they are doing is good for us." He said, almost going into "rousing speech" mode. Noticing he was probably talking too much, he stopped himself. "I will give you one more chance, soldier. Tell me what he's planning."

"They are giving us armor now?" He asked, the soldier slowly putting together why this invader was talking like a local... "Yeah.... ok, just don't kill me..." He finally responded, "Lewis sent some guys to go kill that empress girl. He says our new shotguns and cannons should work on their armor. When he gives the singnal a bunch of us are going to attack all over the city... We were supposed to be helping bring explosives to the palace and all but the storm came a lot earlier than we were expecting.... so just please let me go ok? I got family here... "

The soldier apparently had no idea who he was, Aaron realized. He lowered the revolver, nodding to the man. "Go on, then. Just know that if we meet like this again, I will kill you." He said calmly. "Raphael, maybe the other guy will tell us where Lewis is."

Raphael's helmet nodded. He applied more pressure and felt the man's back began to crack. A few of his disks began to burst. "Well, that was for your comment earlier." He said calmly. "Now, you have two choices. You can either cooperate and I will make sure we patch you up and you get to walk again. But..." He moved his armored foot to another section of spinal cord and applied pressure again till two more spinal disks ruptured. "Refuse to be helpful and I will paralyze you from the neck down and drop you in that water... and watch you drown..." He said calmly and evenly, his mood hidden by the black armored helmet, two red streeks were the eyes would be.

"I'M READY TO DIE!" He shouted, the man clearly in a lot of pain as his companion ran off, "WE WILL KILL YOU ALL EVENTUALLY! I JUST HATE THAT I WON'T GET TO SEE YOUR FACE WHEN WE KILL YOUR LEADER AND BURRY THE REST OF YOU IN THE MOUNTAIN!"

Raphael didn't speak, instead moved his foot up between his shoulder blades and smashed his foot down. The skeletal vertebra shattered, discs popped and his nerves endings regigistered massive amounts of pain before the synapse in his spinal cord died. He then grabbed the man by the neck. "You have made your decision. Trapped in your old ways. Refused to try and make your world a better place. We don't need an anchor." He said as dragged the man to the edge of the dock. "You have sealed your fate... your crime of terrorism is an act punishable by death. A sentence which will be carried out immediately." He said dropping the man into the water.

Watching Raphael he realized how this all seemed to the soldiers still fighting. They believed the same thing he had not too long ago. The only difference was that he could see how this would end if they fought. The invaders really hadn't done anything to the people warrant such fanatical resistance. Of course everyone fighting so hard was a government supporter, and they lost power overnight. He imagined how many would have died if they hadn't stopped the war. "Damn, I tried but.. I wasn't any better than the Osmans, was I?" He said regretfully. "Anyway, we need to get to Uso if what he said is true. My scientist was developing guns to use against you using pieces of your metals. He thought they might be able to pierce the powered armors you use."

Something that the dying soldier said tugged at his brain. Bury the rest of you in the mountain. "No, he wouldn't.." His voice trailed off. Suddenly he turned to Raphael. "Thy want to bring the mountain down on the city! There's a network of caves and mines under the mountain. If they put enough black powder in there, they might actually pull it off."

Raphael turned on his heels quickly. "This is bad Aaron." He said running to the exit. "Let's go. We need to get to those caves, fast." Raphael looked back. "We need to fly so follow me. I will lead us to the mountian, then you lead us through the caves." He said begining to hover.

Aaron ran after Raphael, sticking close until they were out of the building. He nodded in response. "I'll do my best. I've only been in them a few times, but I should be able to remember the way. They connect to the tunnels under the city as well. Rubi guided me through them last time." As he talked he began to hover, following Raph to the mountain.

Raphael flew quickly, making sure to keep Aaron close so he couldn't get lost. After several minutes of intense flying the pair arrived at one of the many tunnel entrances. Raph enabled his suit lights and ushered in Aaron. "Lead the way, and stick to close range weapons in here. They might have set traps inside to deter visitors. We wouldn't want the walls to fall around us." He said as a collapsible spear appeared in Raph's hand. The head of the spear had an ornate blade. In the butt of the staff was a battery which, when activated, would arc electricity across it.

The tunnel they entered was an old mine entrance that looked poorly maintained. It most likely hadn't been used in years, but there were dozens of sets of dusty boot prints farther in as well as tire tracks in the dirt. "Someone has been in here recently. It shouldn't be too hard to find them with such an obvious trail." The trail was so perfect it was unsettling, he noted. "I don't know about you, but I feel like that trail is mighty convenient. Guess we don't really have a choice though, we need to stop them." He took a deep breath and started following the tracks into the tunnel.

Raphael quickly moved and followed behind Aaron. "This is definitely a trap, so all we need to do no is spoil the trap. Keep an eye out for anymore signs of them." Raph said as he activated the spear and arcs of blue electricity arched across the blade.

"That hum wasn't me..." Someone said from deeper inside of the cavern, followed by a long pause, and then the sound of boots rushing about. A storm had overtaken the city entirely, trapping everyone indoors. Of course, that meant that anyone arriving in the tunnels wasn't a local... Ahead of Raphael and Aaron, the general's soldiers had already prepared their defenses, cannons mounted behind heavy rock and stone.... hopefully enough to slow down anyone incoming so they could finisht eir work.

Grant prepared himself for another battle. He didn't exactly know how useful he would be in this fight. The revolver he carried was running low and he had been warned against using the gun on his armor's forearms in the planet's atmosphere. Those countermeasures in the wings could maybe function as anti-personnel weapons. He wasn't very good at controlling the wings, though, as he didn't have wings of his own. His brain simply wasn't wired the same way as an Elysian brain. The computers could probably assist though, he realized. As he advanced he started to hear shuffling feet.

When the tunnel opened up into a large room he noticed cannons pointing directly at them. "Oh shit." He said and propelled the suit towards the cannons, zigging and zagging to confuse the men at the cannons. The suit predicted their movements and fired graser pulses at several of the cannons. It was all happening nearly autonomously, which he was thankful for. After the initial burst the suit flashed a warning in his mind in bold letters. Graser countermeasures offline. Your armor requires servicing.

"FUCK.... two armors.... Guys, I don't think we're making it out.... Just do it."

The tunnel quickly started to fill with smoke, there was a deep glow forming just beyond the cannon line... someone then shouted out defiantly,

"I HOPE YOU DIE!"

Raphael acted quickly, throwing his arcing spear into the one of the men and flying towards the group at top speed. He drew his pistol and began firing into the enemy, hoping to blast the cannon apart. He raced to catch it before the fuse went off.

It seemed like the soldiers had just given up, half-heartedly trying to turn the cannon toward Raphael before they were cut down. Of course, once he GOT to the cannon, it was clear why... beyond them the cave opened up into a large cavern. Hundreds of barrels had been stacked here along with several wagos. Fire was already burng, consuming the wagons and leaping onto the black powder filled barrels...

Raphael was stunned. "Dear gods no..."

Aaron saw the fuses heading towards the barrels of powder. He froze and for the first time in a long while had no idea what to do. The only thing he could think to do was get as much of the powder out of the cavern as possible and hope the mountain didn't fall on the town. Maybe a way to place the explosions in the right spots to cause the mountain to collapse in on itself. He didn't even know if such a thing was possible. If Ned were present he would know, but he wasn't. Just two of them and some lunatics who would kill innocent people to destroy the aliens. The former rebel snapped out of it after a second, although it felt like hours. He launched himself at a wagon full of barrels and pushed it towards the opposite end of the cave. Hopefully getting some of the barrels away could mitigate some of the damage. In a matter of seconds he reached the opposite end of the huge cavern.

If he remembered correctly one of the tunnels Rubi brought him into the city through was nearby. The barrels were ready to blow and he didn't think he could make it back in time the way they came in. "Raph, I can't make it back in time. I got a wagon full of powder away, don't know if it will help. There's a tunnel nearby that leads out of town. I am getting out of here, we're no help to anyone buried under the mountain. It's faster the way we came in. I'm... not sure I can make it. If I don't, find a woman named Celestia Odette. Tell her I love her and I'm sorry." He said over the radio, flying through the tunnel to the outside as fast as possible.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back