Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

3D help & advice wanted!

Hey all,

I'm looking into improving my 3D technique.

I always end up with mixed lines and polygons trying to eat eachother and I'm not familiar with using Cinema 4D's bevel tool properly.

Could someone either link me some good Cinema 4D tutorials or good anything tutorials where I can work on my modelling technique?

Here's a sample. My shot at a rifle.

<center>
1173307492769.png

</center>

Ah. I've followed a few tutorials on there.

Modelling really is very tricky.

Not because it's hard but because the model isn't intuitive and it tries to eat itself.

1173309333435.png

I can see parts that could really use beveling but Cinema 4D isn't intuitive enough to Chandel or whatever it's called in 3D Max.

Designing while modeling is bad.

The Miharu's main hull took me 4 frickin' months to complete because I wasn't sure of what I was going for and I was learning to model. The Hoshi took me 12 hours. Big difference.

Sketch what you want to do on paper in three views, scan it, slap it on your scene on scale (there are different methods - I won't start and explain how it is done) and then model over these. You'll have a reference point which will prevent you from 'going wild' and ending up with an Orouboros.

Ah.

I'm used to a model that revolves around designing as you illustrate.

When something becomes static and non-changing, it sort of becomes boring to me.

I really need to work on that.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back