Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Senate: Passed #70 - Special Investigation Into the Empress's Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Inactive Member
YSE Proposal #70
Special Investigation Into the Empress's Death

Purpose:

1. Do to the people involved, traditional investigation agencies many not be considered reliable. To ensure that traditional investigation agencies are trustworthy.

2. To understand the high profile suicide of Empress Ayame.

3. Talk of a conspiracy by an Ex Taisho and SAINT member as well as betrayal within the government are hinting at much deeper problems within the structure of the military and government itself. These problems need to be exposed and corrected.

4. To remedy flaws in the empire which have allowed the loss of key worlds such as Nepleslia, Kennewes, Delsauria, Rok'veru, Ralfaris, and Hoshi no Iori.

Proposal:

1. A review board be established by the Senate to investigate the events surrounding Ayame's suicide and the actions which contributed to them as well as the structure of imperial life and the control that the clans have over the Imperial Family.

2. This board is to be given access to SAINT and military files they deem relevant to their investigation as well as any surveillance information that is relevant. This information will remain within the board until the final report to the senate so that classified information is not released to the public.

3. The board will receive military support and compliance to acquire information from non-cooperative sources. Personnel obstructing the board's investigation can be detained for an amount of time deemed reasonable by the board.

4. This board will compile a report of its findings for the senate to review so that proper changes in the government and military can be made to prevent this kind of situation from re-occurring

5. If found necessary, the Senate will restructure the governmental structure according to the board's findings. Through a new proposal.

Nataria votes yes. We are deeply concerned about the death of our Empress, and her terrible suicide.

We are also intrested in the reasons behind the split off of Nepleslia and its sister planets from Yamatai.

You're talking like investigating this death will somehow reveal a conspiracy. Until the board is appointed, I vote no. If I believe the investigators are competent, I may change my vote.

Fenyar also votes yes.

We may be lower on the tech level then the rest of the empire, but this troubles us just as much.

It has been a long time and I've forgotten which world it is that I'm in charge of, but I remember it was pretty much a small military base somewhere. Basically a military dictatorship.

So, if I've still got the dictatorship position, Anisa votes yes.

I am in agreement with the senator from Xyainbor. This is premature, and what is largely gossip is no cause for full investigation. If the board is incompetent or biased in a manner unfair to involved parties, we have further seeds of police state.

Elysia votes NO.

Nataria suggests, in a motion to change, that each senate member chooses a representative of their planet to be part of the board. This would hopefully apease those senate members that the board will be imcompetant and biased.

Nataria puts forward Eyce Tee as it's representative if this motion to change is seconded.

Hoshi no Iori motions to change.

1. Strike "Senate will restructure the governmental structure" from item 5.

2. Add Item 6: Findings of the investigation would not be revealed to the general public until cleared by a unanimous senate vote because of their potentially sensitive nature.

Elysia seconds the motion proposed by Nataria.

This motion ammends a severe problem with the bill, and, while still not flawless, it is much less open to corruption.

Change vote to YES.

(edit)

I challenge the ammendment proposed by Hoshi no Iori. All investigations should be fully transparent, as to keep such information from the people is the tool of a government that is frightened of what the people will see.

*A To'Yaree clerk enters for a moment*

Fenyar would like to add delagate Nanaha to the board. She is by far one of the smartest Fenyaro on or off planet as she is known to be impartial in matters of judical concern.

*The clerk leaves, and Nanaha returns*

Fenyar seconds Hoshi no Iori's motion. A conclusive report should be made before the findings are to be released. However, any concrete evidence that is discovered should be made public upon time it's validated.

Since there are six votes on the bill, Fenyar makes a motion to close.

Nataria agrees with our Elysian comrade. With a topic that is so close to the public eye, it should be vital that the public know of what is uncovered or revealed.

However we still believe that the investigation should go ahead.

Hoshi no Iori challenges the motion to close.

Hoshi no Iori votes NO.

Hoshi no Iori also makes a motion to change (again):

2. Add Item 6: Findings of the investigation would not be revealed to the general public until cleared by a unanimous senate vote because of their potentially sensitive nature.

Nataria seconds the challange to the motion to close.

We would like to say that although the Senate should have to say whether the information is realeased, it should be the majority, not a unaminous vote.

That is a motion to change: to be the majority, not unaminous.

Ah, in that case I resind my motion.

An OOC note from Wes said:
4. Voters may make a motion. In order for a motion to be successful, it must be seconded and unchallenged.

Elysia is with Nataria on this. A unanimous senate vote allows a single corrupt senator to obstruct the right of the people to see the truth, however a simple majority is a fair regulation.

Hoshi no Iori challenge's Nataria's motion to change the motion to change, although this may be unnecessary due to the motion to change now being challenged by Albini's representative.

Hoshi no Iori also makes a motion to change (3):

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back