• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

[1XF] - Bitter Ashes

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Convention Veteran
Retired Staff
Warehouse 137
125 Gunship Lane
Kyoto, Yamatai

Sune stood outside the Warehouse and waited for the shuttle and his former shipmates to depart. He stood near the door and observed his surroundings. His prior times on Kyoto he felt slightly uncomfortable with the wide open spaces, now after the morning events he found himself alert looking for potential problems. He heard the sound of the Okii-Neko depart from the warehouse. When he heard the doors on the other side close; he accessed the control console for the door. He inserted his datapad and changed his password to a dynamic encrypted one. It would take both the datapad and his biometrics for someone to open the door. When the door opened he stepped in and had Emiko synch with his datapad so that she could enter and exit the warehouse as necessary.

With the security of his warehouse updated, Sune set about to taking care of a medical situation. An item of salvage he acquired was an escape pod containing an Elysian in stasis inside. He took out his medical scanner and activated the revival sequence for the escape pod. He monitored the progress of the escape pod and started to consider his options. He considered what he had told his former ship mates. He had sent SPM his official notice that he was turning down the posting on the Byakuren. The situation was intolerable and Sune had come to the conclusion that he was not able in all good conscience serve. He put in a call for a medivac shuttle to come to the back of the warehouse to pick up the Elysian. While the pod showed the life signs were strong and stable. He did not have the facilities to perform an in-depth medical check on the Plebeian; he was also not equipped to help the gentlemen adjust to his new circumstances. The medical center would be able to handle any issues.

Sune had several minutes before the shuttle would arrive; he stopped procrastinating and sent his official request to have the Nozomi-Class Scout ship he salvaged placed under his command. He watched the status on his Star Army Type 29 Communicator. Once it showed the message had been sent, he walked over to his Zephyr and opened the door, activated the vehicle then turned on the entertainment system and lowered the windows. With the music playing, and waiting for the arrival of the medivac shuttle he went back over the series of events that led him to where he was.

Sune was in unfamiliar waters, he had reconciled himself when he left the Eucharis that it was the end of that chapter of his life. He had come to Kyoto expecting to meet with his new commander, and start getting familiar with the ship and crew. Instead upon arrival there were only enigmatic orders with no sign of Kotori. Then the instructions to report to SAINT definitely had taken him by surprise. He thought perhaps it was merely to have them vetted to work with Kotori. But that did not make sense since there was no such screening when he joined the Eucharis. To say that he was blindsided by the events as staged by SAINT was an understatement. He wrestled internally with his orders from Hanako, his conscience, and the mission parameters set forth by the enigmatic Celeste. The ensuing encounter in the SAINT structure with one of the crew members only reinforced his uncertainty of the mission. He had been confident that with some very careful handling of the bificurated crew from his position as XO that he had the potential to reconcile them all.

The final factor in his decision making was when he had received a notice that another officer had been added to the crew. This other officer was the same rank as Sune, but had more than a year of time in grade. That meant he was outranked. The other officer should be the XO. That would put Sune in a lesser role on the ship. He would not have the level of access he would need to truly be able to observe and evaluate the CO. While he told his fellow shipmates that taking such a placement would be a negative career move, in truth that was not what prompted Sune. He had already been through being the XO with another senior person outside of the normal chain of command. It made things difficult to say the least. In this situation, his analysis made it clear. It would lead to failure. The best solution was to remove him from the equation.

At that point in his thoughts Sune heard the medivac shuttle arrive. He walked over the rear doors and activated the controls. When the EMS personnel came in he led that to the Escape pod. He opened the unit and helped them transfer the Elysian to a gurney and take him to their shuttle. He pulled the escape pod’s data recorder. It was badly garbled, but perhaps at a larger facility they could recover more of the data. Sune stood and watched the shuttle lift off, he have a small wave and watched as it flew out across the city. He then stepped back into the warehouse and closed the doors.

Alone once more with his thoughts he continued his review of his decisions. If he asked to return to the Eucharis that would put him face to face with Hanako. He needed to avoid that. Hanako would want to know why he declined the decision. How could he tell her that SAINT was talking about Kotori being a traitor and wanting her crew to kill her if they saw any sign of treason? That information would not sit well with Hanako to say the least. The information in the briefing was confidential, telling Hanako could be considered treason because of SAINT’s involvement. He did not think it unreasonable that ‘Celeste’ would take actions against him if he divulged the details. He also thought it was also not unreasonable that Hanako would probably try to take action to protect her clan sister. So the decision left to Sune was to try and avoid Hanako to protect her.

That prompted his decision to request the command of the Nozomi. It was the best solution available to Sune, it would take time to get the ship repaired, a crew selected, and the ship provisioned. As for a crew, he wanted as many new soldiers as possible. Newly created Nekovalkyrja would be trustworthy; easy to vette. He would need an XO, so he would look for one newly promoted and have to take his chances. He also was going to put a unique computer into the ship for his research project. The Mnemosyne was essential for the experimental stealth system he was developing, and would be better suited to controlling the Elysian cloaking system he had. The Mnemosyne was extremely resistant to be re-programmed by anyone other than the Captain or his superiors. With SAINT in the picture this was a feature he felt was a good safe guard. Also the computer would contact him if someone gave it an order it did not feel was appropriate.

Sune went into the Raia, his Tenba-Class, pulled down one of the bunks in the forward section. He climbed onto the bunk and lay on it. He was not trying to sleep, but wanted to relax and meditate until he got a reply to his request, and give his brain a rest. Within thirty minutes, his communicator chimed that a message was received.
He looked at what was displayed.

I do not know what happened over there, but from my perspective it gives the appearance you are putting your personal career advancement above the mission, and refusing to carry out my orders. Why are you bailing out, Sune? I need an explanation. We need to talk in person. Your request for a command is authorized pending further review and the ship is assigned to the 1XF 2nd Squadron. Get your Nozomi repaired and join the Eucharis when it is ready so that we may discuss this further.

Chapter 2
Sune climbed out of the bunk and read the message again and smiled. While it was plain to see that Hanako was not pleased by the turn of events, it could have been worse. At least she did not order him to get on a transport and come back to the Eucharis immediately. He had several days at least to get things in order.

He had to shake his head briefly, ‘putting your personal career advancement above the mission…’ Even after years of serving under her, and her claiming him as a friend, she did not fully understand him or his motivations. Unless she somehow received word of what he said to the others. If so, then it was that much better for the moment.

“No time like the present to get things started. Emiko, I am heading over to the Shipyard Master at KFY, to make arrangements for my Nozomi to be put in a repair bay when it arrives. Keep an eye on the simulations and let me know if anything comes up.” He said to his android companion. He exited the Tenba and walked over to his Zephyr. Finally getting a chance to take her out. he thought as she slipped into the driver’s seat. Starting it up, he adjusted the controls and set his parameters for future use. Once he was satisfied, he opened the sky light on the warehouse and carefully lifted the aircar out. Once clear of the building, he made a circuit around the shipyard to avoid ship traffic. There was plenty of activity to be seen, ships being repaired, others being constructed or serviced. Dozens of small craft darted about delivering supplies and personnel where needed. Soon he was landing at the administrative section of the yard.

He stepped out and started walking towards the building. He could not help but to feel a sense of irony. Several years ago, to have ship of his own to command was his ambition. Now he had a ship, because he purchased it, and was using it as a means to protect the person he cared most about. He started up the stairs to the building, and passed a blue haired neko in a brown jumpsuit. He said good day to her as he passed and entered the building.

Sune soon learned just how much paperwork was involved in taking command of a starship, more so because his was currently private property. After reviewing and signing more paperwork than it took to enlist and re-enlist in his career, he had all of his authorizations taken care of. He looked at his communicator and noted that he had been going through the red tape for more than two hours.

When he climbed into the Zephyr he called Emiko to check on things back at the warehouse.

“Sune-San, the ship you purchased has arrived a few minutes ago. Were you expecting any visitors, Sir? About twenty minutes before the Nozomi arrived, I saw a couple of people standing near the entrance. They were not touching the panel or the door. I activated the intercom, and asked what they wanted. They did not respond, when I looked back a moment later they were gone. “

“No, I was not expecting any visitors. Well, I am on my way back to the warehouse. I want to take a look at the ship before the KFY comes and takes it to the repair yard. Guess you could say I want to see what I paid for.” He lifted the Zephyr off and started taking the route back. He was wondering who it could have been outside of the warehouse. There is always the possibility it was a couple of thieves hoping to find a warehouse they could easily enter. I am glad Emiko took the initiative. She most likely scared them off. When I get back there, I will run a query on the network for any reports of break ins or such in the warehouse district. he thought.

It was easy to spot the Scout ship as he approached, more than a hundred meters long and fifty meters wide. He brought the aircar in low and slow and passed over the vessel. He could see the hull was pitted with weapon fire, that the ship was physically in one piece was a testament to the construction. He saw the damage from the fatal strike, the one that pierced the hull and destroyed the MEGAMI. After completing an orbit around it, he landed next to the warehouse doors, exited the Zephyr and approached the ship.

He walked around the ship’s underside and tried to open one of the airlocks. The door was unresponsive. He took up his communicator, “Emiko, open the rear doors, and bring me an external power cable.” He said to his assistant. A minute later she carried a length of cable over to him. He took it and attached one end to the ship’s auxiliary power connector, and then climbed down and attached the other to the power junction on the warehouse. “Emiko, take the Zephyr inside and secure the structure please.” He said as he closed the breaker on the power junction.

He climbed backup to the port airlock and cycled the door open, with only auxiliary power being supplied the door opened sluggishly. He took out his Type 32 flashlight and activated it. Stepping in through the lock the lamp created a narrow field of vision. The air was heavy with the smell of carbon, obviously from one or more fires. He approached the bridge, the interior door was open, and he stepped in and looked around, the flashlight following his movement. The bridge was a total loss, consoles were slagged and some were missing. He reentered the hallway and passed under the shuttle bay. Completing the path he entered the wardroom on the starboard side and found a serviceable seat.

“Well, this ship is in about as good a shape as my career probably is. She ended in fire, but I can with the KFY’s facilities give her life and she will rise again, like some mythical creature. Perhaps that should be her name, ‘Firebird’, a symbol of rebirth. I am not so sure about my career, but what is done is done.” He said taking a last look before walking back to the airlock. Once he exited the lock he secured the door, and removed the auxiliary power. He dropped to the ground, and pulled out his communicator, he sent a message to the repair yard letting them know they could come and retrieve her.

Sune had spent the next day aboard the Tenba with Emiko. They were working on fully documenting the wiring specifications for the computer that he wanted installed instead of the standard MEGAMI. Today he would head over to the repair bay that held the Firebird as he took to calling it. The crews would have completed removing the damaged items and clearing out the debris and detritus. He wanted to see how things were shaping up and to hand deliver the data that they were completing. When the last of the data had been transferred to the datapad he went and put on his standard uniform. He checked his sidearm and ensured that it was fully charged. There had been a couple of disturbing incidents; a check with the police had stated that there had been no significant criminal activity in the area where his warehouse was located. Yesterday while Sune was working on preparing the Mnemosyne aboard the salvaged scout. Someone had tried to gain entry to the structure. The video monitors showed no one was near the doors.

While he dressed Emiko worked on preparing the extra Mnemosyne that Sune had been preparing for transit. He came out and checked her progress. “Good job Emiko, I will tell the KFY personnel that they can come and get it later when I have returned. Please keep a close eye on the Chimera cells, and link into the security system to keep an eye on any unusual activity.”

“Of course Sune-San, I will contact you if anything unusual occurs during your absence. Will you be back in time for lunch, or should I expect you around dinner time?” She said with a smile.

“I will probably not be back until dinner, I will let you know when I leave so you can order some food and I can pick it up on the way.” He answered as he crossed over to the Zephyr. As he climbed into the car he watched Emiko at work. He was undecided on what to do with her when he left. If not for the unusual activities going on, he would feel perfectly safe letting her remain, but there was also the matter of her growth. Working in isolation while she would not mind or complain, it would not encourage her growth or individuality.

He flipped the switch to open the sky light and lifted the vehicle up and out. Once clear of the skylight he sent the command to close it and headed to the shipyard. He arrived at the shipyard but had the feeling he was being watched when he walked across the parking lot to the repair yard office building. A quick survey of the parking lot revealed a blue haired neko standing beside a vehicle. She seemed familiar to him, but he could not be certain from this distance. When he looked again, the individual had disappeared.

The brief inspection tour with the yard master gave Sune plenty of information. The damaged areas were already being repaired by a number of teams. While there he handed the Chief the data cube for the computer connection he required. The chief looked askance at him, “You sure you want to put an Elysian computer system in her instead of a good reliable MEGAMI?”

“Yes, I am sure. The Firebird is going to be a test bed for some systems I am working that deal with organic technology. So I require an organic computer control system.” He answered.

“Well, she’s your ship, and you are supplying the system, and the cabling has to be replaced anyway. So we should be able to get it done with no delay. When can we expect the Mnemosyne?”

“My assistant is finishing the preparation and packaging. It should be ready for delivery later today. Will the external power systems be online tomorrow? I would like to handle the start up of the Mnemosyne. Since the unit is familiar with me already, it should help with the transition.”
“Shouldn’t be a problem sir, the main busses were undamaged in the battle. Do you have any preferences for personalization? Or do you just want the interior standard Star Army scheme?”

Sune thought for a moment, I am not Hanako or an other prestigious person in the fleet. So why offer? Could it be because of my past aboard the Eucharis? Does not matter, customization would just increase the time here.

“No, the standard interior scheme will be fine. I just have one minor modification I would like to make a rack mounted in my quarters for my katana. I will send it over with computer. Thank you for offering though.” He answered.

The walk through completed, Sune watched as a group of technicians climbed into the ship and vanished into the interior of the craft. His communicator chimed, he took it out of his pocket and took a quick glance, it was Emiko calling.

“Hello Emiko, is there a problem?”

“Sune-San, we have an intruder. I have subdued the person and have the individual contained in a small SSCC that I made a few holes for air. What are your orders Sensei?”

“Are you damaged? Did they damage anything in the warehouse? I am heading back as soon as I get to my car.” He said quickly.

“I am undamaged Sensei, the intruder is currently unconscious and confined.” Emiko replied.

Sune found the quickest path to the parking area. He did a quick check of the parking area and dashed to his aircar. He sent a mental command to his datapad to start the Zephyr so that he could depart as soon as he got in. He watched the lights on the car come on and the door opened as he approached. He slid into the driver’s seat and lifted the craft before the door had fully closed. With the turbofan engines at full thrust the Zephyr was streaking away from the repair bay towards his warehouse.

It was only a matter of minutes before Sune was approaching the structure. He slowed down and brought the aircar to street level and parked by the door in the front. He climbed out securing the car and crossed over to the door entered his security code. He stepped in with his hand on his NSP just in case. He looked around and everything seemed normal. He saw Emiko standing next to an SSCC that was empty when Sune had left. “So what happened here Emiko?”

“When you left the warehouse and the skylight closed, I heard a noise behind me. It was a small sound like someone had kicked a bolt on the floor. I looked around and noticed a bolt over by the stacked SSCC’s rocking back and forth. At that point I turned back to the research, and accessed the internal video cameras. Cycling through them did not review anything, but when I applied an overlay pattern, I spotted a series of anomalies. The appearance was that of a humanoid. So I acted as though I was intent upon the display. When I had a clear line of fire I shot it with the NSP-27 you left with me, I set it to stun and fired at the target without turning around. Once I hit the target it became visible, I proceeded to search the individual, removed the suit it was wearing and contained it in one of the empty SSCC’s. The person appears to be a NH-22C.

Sune walked over to the container, and pulled out his Science Scanner, he set it for life form scan and confirmed what Emiko said. The person was still unconscious, and overall rather unremarkable. He turned his attention to the suit that he had been wearing. It was a black body suit, of a type he had not seen before. There were a number of areas that looked like they were padding but were rigid. He switched his scanner to emission mode and scanned for electromagnetic signals. The suit had a number of emissions; he also found a small object placed on the wall near the SSCC’s. He took the object off the wall and called the KMP with his communicator.

While he waited for the police, he walked around the room looking to see if anything had been moved or anything else had been added. Shortly after he completed his search, there was a chime from the door.

“The Kyoto Municipal Police have arrived Sune-San.” Emiko said looking up from her work.

Sune walked over to the door, and opened it. “May I see some identification please?”

The officer in the standard KMP uniform smiled, “Certainly sir my name is Tanaka Masao” he said showing his badge, “this is my partner Hara Ken. I understand you had some sort of a break in?”

“Yes, while I was out my assistant Emiko discovered that she was not alone. She subdued the person and restrained him until I could return. “ Sune said pointing to the crate.

“Does Miss Emiko have a last name?” Masao asked.

“Well I supposed technically it would be Jalen. However, she is not a legal citizen; she is an Emrys Douryo Android. I purchased her a while back to assist me.”

“Very good we will include that in our report. Exactly what happened?”
Sune called Emiko over and had her repeat the sequence of events that lead to her detection and capture of the intruder. She repeated it again, providing all of the salient details to the officers. Once complete the officers, asked for the perpetrator to be taken out of the crate. They handcuffed the individual and took the suit as evidence. They informed Sune that he would be kept informed of any progress in the case.

Sune then set about the task of moving the Mnemosyne over to the large doors so it would be ready for pickup. Using the warehouse hoist, he lifted the pallet and moved it by the door. As he did so, the door chimed again.

“Sune-San, there are two different officers from the Kyoto Municipal Police at the door.” Emiko said turning to face him, she had a puzzled expression. “I know they said that they would keep you informed? But is it not too soon for them to have any updates?”

“Yes, it is too soon.” Sune walked over to the door and cautiously opened the door. “Yes officers? How may I be of service?”

“We received a complaint of a break in at this address from a Jalen Sune. There was a mix-up at dispatch and we were sent to the wrong address.” The lead officer said.

“Yes, I am Jalen Sune, but am a bit confused. The officers sent here left about five minutes ago. The lead officer was Tanaka Masao,” Sune replied.

“Sir, I am Tanaka Masao.” the police officer responded and pulled out his ID/Badge. “There was no other team dispatched to your location.”

Sune was not given to swearing, but he felt the momentary urge to do so. After a moment to keep the urge in check, he looked at Masao. “Then we have a problem. A short while ago, two people arrived with ID’s one of them claiming to be you.” Sune walked over to a console and pulled up the security footage from the door camera. “See here they are.”

Masao looked at the person, “That is not anyone I know in the KMP and I give you my word there was only one group dispatched.”

“Well, they took the perpetrator and the suit he had been wearing. They got all the physical evidence. I can however provide you with a complete copy of the internal video image from the warehouse security, a copy of the sensor scan I did of the person and the suit. Emiko can also provide a copy of her data on the incident as well. That is going to have to do I suppose.”

Masao took the offered data, from the various sources. He took Sune’s statement and gave him a contact card, if Sune had any questions or remembered anything. Since nothing was taken due to Emiko’s quick action, but a listening device was found. Masao suggested that this may have been an attempt at industrial espionage, pointing around to the various items in the warehouse. He also contacted their Headquarters to report the phony officers, and gave a description of the vehicle.

Sune watched as the two officers drove off again. He opened the front door of warehouse and brought the Zephyr back inside. With the door closed and secured Sune went into the Tenba to change into his workout clothes. Once he was changed he came out with his practice sword, and started performing his warm up Kata. He was well into his actual workout when the transport to haul the computer to the Firebird arrived.

After the most recent event, Sune travelled with the Mnemosyne for the Firebird. He oversaw the installation by the technicians, and personally undertook the activation of the system. The Firebird actually now had two computers; Rosalba was the primary, but a CIES was added to ensure proper access to the PANTHEON. It was only after Rosabla reported that she was operating within normal parameters and was adjusting to her new body that he left the computer room.

Sune sealed the computer room under his personal encryption. After that he took a seat in the Monitor room. He did a quick system status check, and then he submitted his formal request to SPM for a crew. He had specific requirements, but with the exception of two crew men with experience the rest were new soldiers. Once he saw the request accepted he left the Firebird in the hands of the KFY technicians and made his way back to the warehouse.

Once inside the warehouse he approached Emiko. “Emiko, you have a decision to make. You can remain here and work on my projects, or you can come with me aboard the Firebird. However, if you choose to come with me, you will need to have a system upgrade for security reasons. Here are the specs for the EM-J2-E3405 SACNES Interface. I want you to make an informed decision.”

Emiko looked at the datapad that Sune proffered. She considered the alternatives, and the decision was actually very simple. She found that she enjoyed working with Sune directly. Working remotely would not give her that opportunity. “Sune-San, if it is okay with you. I believe I would prefer to come with you.”

“Okay, then I will place a call to the local Emrys facility to make an appointment for you.” He said with a grin. “Meanwhile we have a lot of work to do. The Chimera research will have to be packaged for transit. We can continue the work on it in space.”

He outlined the work that needed to be done, and then his communicator chirruped. He looked SPM had seven recent graduates from training for him to interview. He requested a temporary office at the base where he could meet with them and requested that they schedule them in thirty minute increments.

“Well, I am off to meet the first candidates for my crew Emiko. Anything comes up contact me via my personal holographic computer.” He said to his Android and climbed into the Zephyr. After a quick preflight, he lifted once more through the skylight and laid in a course to the building on the base that he would be meeting the NH-33’s.

It was four hours later when Sune entered the warehouse again. He had stopped by briefly to check on the Firebird and saw that they were replacing the damaged hull sections. The ship was truly taking shape and looking good.

He took a seat in one of the chairs in the back of the Tenba and considered how things had gone. The thing that struck him most was the look the new recruits had. The eagerness, the desire to please, he wondered if back when he joined if he had looked that way. He was sure part of it was the fact that they were new, only a few months old. But the other thing that he could sense was the expectant look, that somehow he had all the answers.

The smell of food brought him out of his thoughts and he looked for the source. He saw Emiko setting a place at the table. “Dinner is ready Sune-San you have not eaten anything all day. That is not conducive to clear thinking.” She said.

“Where did you get that? There is nothing that nice in the Raia’s inventory.” He inquired as he crossed the MCS to see what she had gotten.

“I consulted the SYNC network and found that there was a nice restaurant not far from here that delivered. So I took the liberty of ordering something for you. I hope you do not mind.”

Sune smiled, “No I do not mind, I am used to being on ship with a cook, and meals are readily available. Thank you.” He sat down and explored the items. He opened a container that when he looked inside held Gyoza. He took out a couple of the dumplings and put them on his plate. There as steamed rice, and tempura vegetables. Once he had enough items on his plate he prepared to eat.

“Emiko thank you for your consideration. But there is far too much food for me to eat. I know you do not require food. But please take a seat and try some of the food.” He said before picking up one of the dumplings with his chopsticks.

After the meal, Emiko set about going through the leftovers and determining what could be saved for another meal.

Sune went out to take inventory of the equipment that needed to be shipped to the Firebird. There was a message from KFY about his request to upgrade the escape pods and some of the other minor changes he wanted. After reading the message he sent his response to the questions that were asked.

Then he received word that there were two more recruits designated for his crew. He sent a request to have them notified to report for interviews in the morning.

Sune then spent a couple of hours working on a couple of messages to Star Army Logistics, specifically requesting supplies and munitions to equip the ship. He was starting to understand how Hanako’s position made it easier for her to get things. Part of what took him longer was deciding what his crew was really going to need versus stuff that would just be nice to have.

By the time he had sent his requests he looked up at the time. He decided to go into the Tenba, and get some sleep in one of the two cabins in the back of the MCS. He settled into the bed, and it seemed like only moments later Emiko was waking him. He grabbed a quick shower, and put on a clean uniform. Emiko had made a trip to the Coffee shop, so he grabbed a scone and an orange juice before getting into his car and heading to the base.

While on his way to the base, he checked with the shipyard concerning the repairs on the Firebird. He was pleased to hear that all primary systems were operational, the bridge and monitor room would be operational by mid day. There was still plenty of cosmetic work to be done; replacing scorched carpeting, light panels etc. ere operational but still pending cosmetic work such as carpeting and paint. “Too bad the ship wasn’t closer to being finished, could have done the meetings there.” He said to himself after hearing the report.

Sune parked his Zephyr and walked into the Administration building. There were only two interviews this morning, but these were going to be different. These were seasoned soldiers, one of whom was going to serve as his Executive Officer. He pulled up the two candidate’s service jackets in his ICP and would review them when he got to the temporary office.

Stepping into the office Sune took a second to orient himself. The room was Spartan, a small table, two chairs, an intercom, and a display panel was the only amenities present. It was not much different that the temporary offices on the Eucharis Ikoi. He wondered if it was a Star Army standard that all these offices had to look the same. As he took a seat he wondered how his former crewmates were doing. Had they returned the Occhestian to his people? Well he would find out once he reported to Hanako, which was still something he was uncertain how to handle with that matter.

He decided rather than continue down that particular line of thought; he would read the data on the two selectees for his crew. He did not see anything that set off any flags. Tetsuya Eiko was the first appointment. A Nekovalkyrja with three years of service, high marks overall from her prior commander. The interview was fairly straight forward. The later part was explaining about the unique factors of the ship that Eiko would need to be aware of. To Sune Eiko seemed to like the idea of working with new equipment and helping work on a prototype.

The second one was a bit longer, because Sune wanted to get a feel for this person. After all he had to depend on this person to follow his orders, and to be able to lead when he was not present. After about thirty minutes of questions and talking, Sune was comfortable with his selection. Once Chiba left the office, Sune sent a message to SPM stating his acceptance of these last two members of his crew.

Sune exited the building and headed to his car. As he approached it, he had a sense of completion. He had his crew; soon the Firebird would be ready to rise once more to the stars. He slipped into the Zephyr and headed back to the Warehouse. When landed he was relieved to see that everything was fine. “Emiko, coming and get into the car. We have an appointment with Tamahagane Corporation to get your modification done. Whatever is left we can take care of when we return.” He called out to her.

Emiko had just finished putting the cell samples into the containers that would keep the safe until they arrived on the Scout ship. The idea that she was going to be traveling in space onboard a Nozomi-Class Scout ship was something unexpected. She climbed into the car and closed the door.

On their way Sune checked with the repair yard, the ship would be released at 0900 in the morning. He sent a reply thanking them for their quick work. He then sent a message to Logistics to have the supplies he requested delivered to the ship. The first activity the crew would perform together was stocking the ship. Once he had checked the replies, he sent a formal set of orders to the crew. By this time tomorrow, he would be in command and heading back into space.

Sune escorted Emiko into the Emrys Industries part of the corporate complex. He was requested to remain in the waiting room while they took Emiko in for the procedure. The technician assured him that the procedure was completely safe and that she would be back in a fifteen minutes. When she came back out she assured him that she was fine.

After that it was a simple matter to return to the warehouse and pack all the Chimera research onto a pallet that would be taken to the ship when he left with Emiko in the morning.

Sune arrived at the Firebird with Emiko and the SSCC’s containing the Chimera project. Stacked behind the Scout ship were a number of containers. A Logistics person was standing by them patiently waiting. Sune climbed out of the T7 Shuttle that had picked him up and walked over to the blue haired Neko. The Neko came to attention and saluted Sune. “Sir, here are the supplies for the Firebird. I just need your signature and they are all yours.” She said holding out clipboard.

Sune returned the salute, which felt awkward to him being so used to bowing. He took the proffered clipboard. “I will sign after I visually verify that what is on this list is stacked here. Would not do to ship out without linens after all.” He replied. Inventorying the containers was easy, a simple matter of matching package numbers to the check list. After ten minutes he was satisfied that all the packages had been accounted for, he signed the clipboard and gave it to the Logistics person. He saw a pair of soldiers in power armor standing nearby. Standard protocol these days after those ships were stolen out in the bard cluster. Especially with all these munitions sitting out here, definitely understandable. He thought.

“Emiko, please wait here. I wish to check out the ship on my own before the crew arrives.” He said hefting his bags. He entered the Firebird by the port cargo hold; the hold beyond where the sunlight illuminated it was darkened. “Rosalba lights and ventilation please.” he sent telepathically.

”Welcome aboard Jalen-Chusa” the Mnemosyne replied as the lights in the hold came on.

Sune crossed the hold passed through the port Armor bay. “Settling in okay Rosalba?”

“Yes Jalen-San I am operating well within design parameters. The Firebird’s systems have been fully restored by the technicians. I find myself anticipating having the main systems restored, and once more taking wing into the void.”

Sune smiled because he too despite the circumstances that brought this about, was looking forward to space. Feeling the subtle vibrations of the systems within the ship; moving through the vast emptiness of space. Space Sune had spent the majority of his life in it; it was the one constant in his life. Ships had been his homes, first the Bouken, then the Eucharis. Now the Firebird would be his home.

Making his way to his cabin he took a brief moment to survey it, placed his bags on the bed and headed for the bridge. One on the bridge he made his way to the command console. He peeled off the protective plastic that covered it. He entered his command code into the console, and sent the required message that he had taken possession of the ship. He looked around at the small bridge, wrinkled his nose at the smell of new paint that permeated the space. It was not the familiar design of the Eucharis. But that was fine, the Eucharis was part of his past, the Firebird his present. He would let the future take care of itself.

He walked through all the common areas of the ship, taking note of the work done by the technicians. Everywhere he looked the ship looked pristine. A clean slate for the Firebird the damage of her death erased. He made his way back to the cargo hold. Looking out he could see the crew standing around talking in small groups. He started down the cargo ramp, made it halfway down when Chiba spotted him. He stopped for a moment to give the crew time.

“Firebird Crew, Fall In.” He said in a loud voice as he turned towards Sune and came to attention. The others scrambled to find their position in the line dropped their bags and came to attention.

Sune resumed his walk down the ramp, and as he approached the group Chiba took one step forward. “The crew of the Firebird reporting for duty.” He said bowing. Behind Chiba the rest of the crew tried to stand a little straighter. Sune returned the bow with a lesser and as he straightened called out, “Stand at ease.”

Chiba returned to his place and all the crew changed their stance to parade rest.

“The Firebird is not a new ship, but she is a good ship. However, from this moment on she is more than just a ship. She is your home, she is where you will eat, work and sleep. Take care of her and she will take care of us.

The Firebird was mortally wounded in a battle. We do not know which battle, or what befell her crew, but today she rises to the stars again. For that very reason, I chose as her motto, Jōshō Shi, Futatabi Jōshō, Rise and Rise Again.

Those are good words, works we can all live by. Because like the Firebird, we will all rise, and if we are knocked down we will rise again. And if we should fall and face true death, another soldier will rise and take our place. Because that is what it means to be in the Star Army of Yamatai. Today we rise to the stars, to defend the Empire. We know not what we will be called upon to do, but we rise to the occasion, and soar well.”

Sune stood for a moment to let his words sink in. He had spent a good portion of the evening working on it. He motioned to Emiko who came and stood by her side.

“This is Jalen Emiko. She is my assistant in a research project that we will eventually be testing aboard the Firebird. She is not a member of the service; so she is not in your chain of command. She is an android that I recently acquired to help with my research.

Behind you are the supplies and provisions that we have been given. We need to get them loaded and properly stowed so that we can launch. So I want each of you when dismissed to find your cabin, Rosalba the ship’s computer will assist you if necessary. Stow your gear in your room and return here. Everyone will be helping with loading including myself.”
Sune gave a nod to Chiba, “Dismiss the crew.”

“Firebird crew, you heard the Chusa, find your bunk, stow your gear and a haul tail back here for cargo detail. DISMISSED.” Chiba barked to the crew. The effect was instantaneous as the crew members grabbed their bags and dashed into the ship.

Sune watched as the crew rushed inward, chattering to each other, and smiled.

Three hours later, the Firebird rose once more from Yamatai, to feel the caress of the solar wind upon its skin.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back