• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Abwehrans A Great New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSharp

Inactive Member
ON

Orbital Shipyard AIY-001
In Orbit around Jaspis 3
8th Month, 7th Day, Second Quarter, AF 260
2300 hours

It was a strange day on board the Orbital Shipyard AIY-001 "Great Builder". Hundreds of reporters from hundreds of news sources were swarming the observation deck for the main scaffolding. It was quite a sight too, considering nearly thirty of the Abwehran Weltraumflotte's first Capital Ship Design were sitting in dock with skeleton crews.

All the Reporters had a great view of the sight of both vessels and a stage off to the left side. On the stage, a podium with a microphone sat at the center front and three occupied seats offset to the right. The first seat was occupied by the Shipyard Manager, a balding, heavy-set man with goggles over his eyes. The second seat was occupied by none other than Augustus Dietrich, the designer of the thirty beauties docked within view. The final seat was occupied by a voluptuous woman in Weltraumflotte Mess. Her shoulder-length, crimson hair was tied back in a pony-tail, which revealed a rather striking scar starting just above her left eye and moving down to her left cheek. It seemed deep enough to have taken out her eye, but the medical technology of the Abwehrans was enough to get her a cloned replacement. She was well into her 30s (count early 100s in Standard years) and was quite possibly one of the few veterans of the Pirate Wars still in a command position. She was also infamously known as the Fleet Admiral of the Ersteflotte, Admiral Adala Sommers.

"Quite the turn out," the Plant Manager whispered with a bit of concern. "I haven't had this many guest in a long time."

"They've come to see the fine ladies out on the docks." Dietrich said with a smile. He meant it, too. Those Wahrheits were everything that he had imagined them to be: sleek, strong, and dark beauties of war.

"You've done a good job."

"All we did was follow the designs, Herr Dietrich," the Plant Manager replied with a nervous chuckle.

"Well, it was a job well done either way," Adala finally spoke with her contralto coming out with a slight musical note. "I can't wait to get these beauties out where they belong. Showing everyone the Abwehrans aren't here to be screwed with," the Admiral growled almost hungrily.

Dietrich nodded. That's what he had designed them for -- those cannons mounted on the front would level a Yamataian shield if he had any inkling for their strength. What else could be asked of them?

"I would hope you use them wisely, Frau Sommers. I guarantee that if you treat them well, they'll treat you well."

"Oh, I definitely plan on it," Adala replied with a grin as she sat back and crossed her right leg over her left.

"Anyway, I guess I should start things up," the Plant Manager replied as he stood up to take the podium. "Greetings Members of the Press and Welcome to AIY-001," the Manager began with a nervous smile. Several flashes of Image Recorders could be seen, which only made the Manager even more nervous. "Today is a great day for both Imperial Yards and the Empire. Today, we launch 60 of the largest starship designs ever constructed by our company. These masterpieces of Abwehran Engineering are to be the great defenders of our proud nation..." he went on.

"I hate when they start this up," Adala muttered as she composed her expression into one of neutrality.

Dietrich hid his smile. "Watch him ramble. He's a mediocre speaker at best, I think. Very unsurprising, and everyone in the Empire can tell he's nervous. Weakness like that would make for a lost election -- or an ice-out in basic training. Am I right, Admiral?"

The corporate executive/senator said. He wanted Adala to like him. Men or women of her standing were rare and good friends if they could be found.

"Quite true Herr Dietrich," Adala replied with a snort. "You're quite the smooth-talker for a young'un." the Admiral snorted in amusement again, though her expression was still nuetral. "Luckily for us, his fear seemed to be coming back. This will save us from more rambling." she stated before tuning back into the speech.

"...And now, I'd like to present the man who made this all possible. Herr Augustus Dietrich," he introduced as the Image Recorders became a cascade of flashes. The Plant Manager turned to the Representative and offered his sweaty hand.

Augustus stood slowly when the Manager beckoned to him, and unhurriedly walked toward the goggled Nightwalker. Augustus didn't mind sweat -- though he felt that most occasions could do with out it -- and grasped the abwehran's hand firmly with his top two. The bottom two went to his wrist, and vigorously shook his arm. He held the Manager in place for a solid ten seconds, keeping the count in his mind.

He had planned his actions beforehand. Planned it twice... Ten times... Twenty. Until he had gotten every nuance of his speech down and every breath he took was timed and fitted between the words where they wouldn't be noticed.

Once the shaking was done, and Augustus was sure the Manager would be vibrating for the rest of the day, he approached the microphone.

He made a show of clearing his throat, exaggerating it in the hope of perhaps a laugh or two. "Today is a great day..." he said with a measured smirk.

"I won't put you through that again -- don't you know me? No. I won't say it was my achievement, and I won't say that these great beasts are works of art. I don't hide in the dark crying, thinking I need the praise. Because I have a purpose. And these... Things have a purpose too."

He cast his gaze at the Battlecruisers, the center of the event.

"They were built by Abwehrans. They are used by Abwehrans. They are here for Abwehrans. They are the blades that will be plunged into the hearts of our enemies, no matter who they are."

Dietrich's eyes went back to the cameras. He did his best to look into each and every lense, using an ancient tactic designed to reach out to viewers who weren't actually there.

"This isn't a great day -- it's a stepping stone into a Great Era. And who better to tell you of the coming era, than someone who commands the ones who would be on the frontlines defending it and making it real? Admiral Sommers, would you please tell us?"

And then Dietrich stepped down and away from the podium. His feet came together and his body fell into attention as he pulled and held a salute to the Admiral.

The Admiral stood up slowly and brought up a salute of her own before bringing it back down and heading towards the podium. "Just like I said, a smooth-talker," she whispered so that only Augustus could here before stepping up to the mic.

"It's quite simple," Adala stated, getting straight to the point. "With the Wahrheits in our fleet, the Weltraumflotte's firepower has pretty much tripled in comparison to just a few days ago. But the Wahrheit is just the beginning, just like Herr Dietrich said," the Admiral said confidentally. "It may take a while until we are up to par with some of the larger nations of our galaxy, but Abwehrans aren't the type of people to give in easily. With this step in the right direction, we soldiers of the Abwehran Star Empire will become a premier fighting force in the galaxy to protect our loved ones and our values. This -- is something I promise to you and to every single person in the Empire." the Admiral finished before stepping to the side and bringing out a mouth piece from under the podium.

"All forces," she spoke into the mouth piece. "Launch!"

Simultaneously, every single Wahrheit disengaged from the docking clamps of the scaffold and slowly began to move forward. The flashes of the Image Recorders stopped as they allowed the Shipyard's external cameras to take all the photos they needed. As if the mammoth vessels were a pack of Tyrani, each and every Wahrheit flew as one out of the scaffolding and into space to begin their journey to Weltraumflotte HQ for ordnance and crew.

Dietrich gave a low whistle. "Well done, Admiral."

"When I throw a party, I throw a party with authority," the older woman replied with a chuckle as the Press could only stare in awe. Some of them even applauded at the spectacle.

"Well, if you treat my babies nice, and you bring them home in one piece, I don't have any problem with you taking them out again." Dietrich said.

"They aren't your babies anymore, Herr Dietrich. They've been adopted by the Ersteflotte, which means they're my kids now. Remember that kid and we'll do just fine." the older woman replied in a sly manner.

"They're the loyal sort. Rough around the edges to strangers, perhaps... And the joke is dead."

Dietrich tore his eyes away from the retreating engine flares of the Battlecruisers to look at the Admiral.

"I wish you the best of luck, Admiral Sommers." He said.

OFF

Jaspis 3
Großartige Festung
Parlaimentary Building

The Parliament building was filled.

Wooden panels and desks ran around the circular room, facing into the central podium where the Speaker of the House stood. Anja Eberstark cast a disapproving scowl of the chatting senators all around her. Their whispers were easily carried to her ears, and bore into her like hot pickaxes. Dissatisfied rumors melded with snide declarations about other parties.

She fixed her long, dark hair and nudged her goggles to sit more comfortably on her nose. It was important to her to appear like others of her kind, and she had avoided the surgeries that might have allowed her to see like a Surfacer or wear special contacts like some of the more pompous Nightwalkers sitting in their seats not too far from her.

Her hand brushed a button, and instantly the lights of every Senator's console activated. By that signal, the talking ceased and the meeting began.

"Lords, Ladies, and Gentlemen." Anja began. "We are here today to discuss two very important bills that were created by our very own Representative Dietrich. They are the proposed AAF Rules of Engagement, and the Prisoner of War Policy. You each have had at least two weeks of time to review these bills, and we shall now deliberate upon them. Herr Dietrich, would you kindly have the first word?"

Ignoring Anja's glare and the many eyes upon him, Augustus Dietrich stood. His fiery eyes were locked on the Speaker where she stood.

"They are necessary. Currently, our soldiers could conceivably brutalize everyone and anyone without repercussion. Civilians will feel safer with these laws over the AAF in place. It will also help to avoid any international incidents. If we treat others' soldiers right, they will treat ours right as well. That is all."

Dietrich sat, and waited for the next Senator to make his statement.

The next Representative to the podium was a small, slightly rotund, Surfacer woman of the Conservative Party. "Mrs. Speaker," spoke the Represenative identified as an Erna Junker began with an air of 'superiority' in her tone. "I believe these proposals are un-necessary. Our honorable men and women of the Armed Forces know full well the moral implications of their actions. Quite frankly, these proposals are an insult to them and I believe Herr Dietrich should be ashamed of himself for being a part of it! After all, he was a Military man at one point in time. He should know that Abwehran Soldiers do not act like savage pirates." Representative Junker declared.

"Besides, these proposals seem to be more of a stepping stone than anything else. A stepping stone on the road towards our illustrious Empire becoming a bunch of Conquerors rather than Defenders! We have no need for these proposals just like we have no need to expand and contact the Xenos surrounding us. I have no problem with building our military up to defend ourselves, but we have no need for talk of War!" Junker exclaimed before leaving the podium.

The next to speak was another Surfacer from a more rural region of Abwehr. Like Dietrich he had been financially successful. Unlike Dietrich, he flew on the seat of his pants and never planned anything. He had never seen the policies before, but already he had objections.

"I must agree with the previous speaker. Our troops are more than capable of handling themselves in combat. They are not children to be educated on what is right or wrong."

With a huff, the surfacer sat down again.

Anja called the next representatives, and each gave mixed opinions on the subject -- just as many approved as disapproved, and a few abstained from giving any opinion. There were two more representatives to go before Dietrich made his final defense of the policies and the voting began.

One of the two Representatives remaining was a quiet Nightwalker Male from one of the more Northern Provinces of Abwehr. He almost never spoke in Sessions and often abstained from making decisions. He was often called "Abstaining Adolf" because of it. However, the unimpressive Abwehran stood up in front of everyone with a calm, fluid motion. Party wise, Adolf had always been Conservative especially in foreign affairs.

However, his words at that moment spoke differently. "I believe this proposal is valid," Adolf spoke softly, causing a few of his party members to blanch. "But not...in the same manner as everyone believes it to be. Our soldiers know who they fight for and know that they are protectors more than aggressors. However, our neighbors in the galaxy need to know what we already know. This proposal should be view more for the benefit of our neighboring nations than our own soldiers. It will show them that we are civilized folk, especially after the Khorsovarolor Occupation."

In the end, the vote came to a stalemate. It was decided that -- for the time being -- the bill be suspended until the issue was raised again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back