• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

A list of energy weapons?

DocTomoe

I was wondering where I could find an easy to browse list of the various energy based weapons that are in common use in the SARP. Maybe even a list of solid ammunition ordinance also.

During my time of browsing, I have never been able to find an easy to look at list of energy weapons, just referances in random ship discriptions, and the occasional tech posting. So I ask... any chance for a list of weapons, from antimatter beams to zero-point energy cannons?

Not having a list of weapons is akin to the patent system. Or at least it makes it a bit harder to just c/p other people's technology. With the current tech policy it would be best not to have such a list.

Considering that such knowlege should be available to characters IC, I think that it would be far more useful to have the information available, instead of hidden away in the annals of the SARP.

Example:

Random Taisa A: Soldier, can you tell me what kind of energy weapons most pirate vessels put into use?

Random enlisted soldier B, whom should be trained in such matters: -No OOC idea, thus gives BS response that makes character look bad.- No idea sir.

Random Taisa A: I'm sorry then, no promotion for you.

*shrugs* Look in the Gun Shop. Otherwise you can always use the Starship and Mecha guide which will eventually show you them.

In addition to this the diversity of ships means that many of them haven't been described, and won't be known to them. It would be rather insane for a Taisa to judge a crew-member on their knowledge of a miscellaneous pirate vessel's armament simply because many of these ships will be very old, or of very limited range.

In addition to this everything can be found in the Starship and Mecha guide. Just look around there.

We have a pretty good ship index, but it's hard to find where the technology that makes these ships comes from.

I wouldn't mind some kind of link to the "origins" of said energy technologies and other such stuff.

And why worry about cherry picking at all? What's there to lose? If CPing helps someone find that inspiration to take what's already been made and tweak it in a different way, why should we let our pride get in the way of that?

I'm not too worried about players going over the power line now that we've been cracking down on it pretty hard. It's more of a learning experience, now (although we most certainly cannot let ridiculous things slip by).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back