• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

A Shuttle in the Middle of Nowhere

Angelic_Crux

Inactive Member
Tsura watched the flashing monitor of the navigational hud, caught between marvelling at the speed with which Suzune operated it, given that she did so without any cybernetic interface, and wondering where the young technician's urgent need to escape her old life might take them. Would Suzune find the place she hungered after? Would Tsura, herself, be able to learn if her mothership, had survived the Yamataian onslaught? Standing utterly still, only the slight whirring of her soft beeps of her systems gave any indication of the tumultuous thoughts that filled her neural emulator.

Tsura's warm, but slightly artificial voice finally broke the silence. "Do you think you'll be alright? This is the first time you've left your brother, isn't it?" Emptiness, isolation, detachment; for all her ability to endure them herself, Tsura could not help but be concerned with how Suzune would handle them. In so many ways, Suzune seemed to be just like the girl that had lost her life, tumbling through the void forty six years ago. "I won't let you come to harm. Nor will I let anything dull the dream you're embarking on, Suzune." For all it sounded like a confession, it was just the way she'd come to speak to Suzune, like she would have with any other member of her community. This just happened to be a community of two.

Suzune's hand shifted over the control system, ticking off a few navigational markers as the course was corrected. A slight layover in a starsystem to correct course - but that wouldn't be for a while yet. Suzune looked up, her work completed for now, and turned the rotating chair to face Tsura. "It's... the first time, yeah. He's really been more like my father. But I'm getting too old to be the little sister in the family anymore." Suzune's eyes lowered slightly, looking towards the floor in slight contemplation, before returning upward and towards Tsura's own. "Thank you, though, for the help. You don't have to feel so indebted to me, but... I know it's because you choose to feel that way for your own reasons." The girl continued to look onwards, assumedly wondering what Tsura would say back.

Tsura's golden eyes coolly stared back at Suzune as she looked up, unable to give any indication of the bond she felt between them. This was, after all, the one who gave her the body she now inhabited. She was the one person on the Free Wind who had treated her as a person, and not just an expensive piece of medical equipment. It would have been hard not to have grown quite attached. "It isn't indebtedness. When the essence of two things begins to come together, they can share a single, unified essence, even as separate parts. Hearing your thoughts, dreams and concerns, knowing the truth in your hands... these are the things that have begun to taught me about the depth of the being that is Suzune."

The automaton paused, thoughtfully. "One of many things I must discover before I can return." She put a hand on Suzune's shoulder, letting the pads of her fingers warm slightly. It was like a heated car-seat! How nice. "Even if it is dangerous, I am sure you will find many things on your journey, as well. The souls of friends, the souls of enemies, the souls of dreams and fears. My silent prayers to the great well of consciousness will hope to guide you on your way."

Suzune shook her head at Tsura, seeming a little embarassed. "Ah, I'm sorry I put it that way. But... I understand what you mean by that. We have... a lot of good reasons to act together, to know what one another has to offer." She tilted her head slightly, as if to redirect her consciousness to another mode of thought. The contact on her shoulder actually helped, as Suzune moved a hand onto that same hand on her shoulder. "You know, you're right. It's like an adventure story at its beginning, but... with a lot of soulfulness to it. There's a lot of people out there, and it's a big galaxy!"

"Despite the existence of obstacles and nemeses, we will be able to find a path." Tsura gently squeezed Suzune's shoulder as she spoke, lingering for a moment before she pulled her hand back, letting Suzune's fingers fall from the smooth, black surface of her own hand. "For the time being, I am going to go take inventory of our food and supplies. You should do your best to stay well rested. The ventilators on old shuttles like this are usually in a poor condition. You may find yourself easily over-exerted." With that, she stepped out of the main cabin to inspect the living quarters, the old plates of the floor creaking a bit under her weight. Before she got to busying herself with her work, though, Tsura stopped by her small bag of belongings to take out her paints, quickly drawing out a synthetic fiber brush and painting a cloud on her right cheek, a small shaft of sunlight breaking through it at a diagonal angle. Her worries over the future, her hopes for their safety.

((Joint post done with Rynol, player of Otomo Suzune))

RPG-D RPGfix
Back