• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: 188604 [Aashi] Bounty of Bullets

• Thread starter Thread starter Ametheliana
  • Start date Start date
A

Ametheliana

The Pumpkin Eater

Aashi woke up with her head leaning against Werner's chest and she lifted her eyes all the way to study his face as he slept serenely. There were so few things she wanted to see more than him happy, now that she had made him as a friend. Gently, she pushed up and nearly got up and off of the couch, but then Werner began to stir.

His arm had been draped over Aashi as they slept. However, when she went to move Werner felt his arm move. He opened an eye and looked to Aashi. "Hey there. Sleep good?" He asked squeezing her hand.

"H-hey," she said sleepily. She was happy to see him and at first confused at having slept next to someone else in a way that wasn't simply dreamwalking as the Iroma often did. This, was much more complex and somehow, also simpler, too. It wasn't troubling or even confusing to her, just very different. "I slept better than I have since I left the Devata," she told him earnestly.

Werner smiled. "I'm glad you slept so well." He said stretching, before remembering that his ribs were still bruised. He moved and began to stand. "Where do you have my medicine stashed?" He asked as he stood shakily. He tried to hide it with a soft smile though.

"I only have the pain killers stashed, the rest of it is in my room," Aashi said as her familiar arose from her spot for the night and flapped all the way to Ulysses after Aashi grazed a hand over the smooth spine of the Skyfish. Aashi led the way as her familiar got all the pets she could want from Ulysses and asked, "Do you want to go anywhere today? Do anything? I feel like going off planet and this ship is technically mine to do with as I please, as long as it comes back in one piece, which, it will."

Werner smiled as A flew to him. "Hey my girl." He said petting the familiar's smooth body. Werner followed Aashi as she took him to his medicine. "I would like that actually. Wanna head out to a resort world? You and me." As he said this A nudged him. He chuckled the coughed, "And A too..." He said petting the Skyfish.

"Resort world, huh? I thought my crew were just spinning yarns when they talked about resort worlds in these parts. I need to learn up on resorts, anyway, if I'm going to keep building one. I'd love to go," she said as he handed him his medications. She grabbed a glass of water and brought it back to him as he stood next to her bed. "Here you are."

Werner smiled and took his medication. "Let's go check into a resort world for a day or two. We can call it work." He said moving and placing his glace in the sink. "Let's go hang out. Need to get a bathing suit and some casual clothes anyway." Ulysses said with a small tilt of his head. "As long as you would like to."

"I-" Aashi said without hesitation, "would love to! It's just what this doctor ordered!" She jabbed a thumb towards her chest and smiled widely before setting off for the bridge.

Werner smiled. "Come on A, let's go see what she is doing." He said with a smile as he followed her onto the bridge.

He moved and took his normal place in the captains chair, and strapped himself in. "Would you mind opening a link to the Necromancer?" He asked.

"Not at all," Aashi said, opening up channels. "I'll need coordinates, by the way."

"Comms, this is Necromancer Actual." Werner said.

"Necro Actual, Comms. Go ahead Cap." Came his comm officer's reply.

"I am headed off world for a day or so. The XO is in charge while I am absent." He ordered

"Aye, aye Sir. Enjoy your vacation." She said cheerfully.

Werner smiled and closed the connection. "Sending the coordinates to your station." He said sending her the link to a near by resort world.

Aashi turned the gravitational engines on and mustered up the thrusters' energy to get them off planet. They got out of atmosphere quickly, as she threw the thrusters into overdrive and all the way on. She piloted the ship over the speed hill and out of 188604's reach within minutes while her familiar zooped in the air around the two of them, avoiding Aashi's line of vision of the controls.

"This is going to be nice," Aashi said once autopilot was engaged. "188604 is nice in its own ways, but likely not as easy to inhabit as the planet we're headed to. I am looking forward to it and so," she said, looking to him poignantly, " are you?"

Werner smiled and walked up to Aashi. "It is going to be amazing." He said grabbing her hand. Come on, let's go hang out on the couch." He said with a smile. He looked at her and began to laugh.

"What?" Aashi asked. "New favorite place?" She followed him back to where they had woken up together and let him lead them into the lounge.

Werner stopped at the couch and sat, pulling her down with him. "I was just thinking. As much as I have ended up holding you, I still haven't been knicked by these..." He said poking the horns on her head. "Just something I just thought about." He said with a grin.

"No, somehow they've managed not to impale you. Trust me, I'm just as happy about it as you are." She moved herself to be fully encased in his arms and rested a head against his shoulder, not knicking him with her horns even then, the laws of physics withstanding. They both rested like that for a few moments before she said, "I really enjoy moments like these with you, I thought you should know."

Werner smiled and kissed her on the forehead as he was now used to doing. "Aashi, I love this just as much as you do. He said softly caressing her cheek. "If I could freeze time, this is right where I would want to be." He said looking into her bright blue eyes with his hard steel ones.

Aashi let her head fall even deeper into his shoulder and sighed out, hoping time would in fact freeze for them. Soon, though, they had arrived at the planet and Aashi and Ulysses rushedly disentangled from one another and sped to the bridge, when she took the pilot's chair and he. the captain's.

She brought them into the planet's atmosphere and once within an approximate range, turned inertial dampers off and thrusters on, easing them down to the planet, a verdant tropical and lush paradise planet with sandy beaches that extended for miles and miles. Light teal waves moved languidly on their shores as only a few people, tourists and locals alike, milled about.

As they landed. Werner quickly got dressed and walked down the ramp, were a representative of the resort met them. "Good morning, and welcome. How my I help you two?" The short man asked.

Werner looked very business like. "I want to book your finest suite." Werner stated flatly.

The man eyes bulged. "Um sir, you can't do that with out a reservation." He tried to protest.

Werner shook his head. "Make it happen." He said glaring down at the man.

After a few tense moments the man nodded. "Right away sir." He said running off.

Werner turned and smiled after the man was out of ear shot. "Now we get to stay at the penthouse." He said with a grin.

Aashi smiled at him before they closed up the ship and followed after the man, saying, "What a treat. I don't yet know what that is, but I know I'm excited."

Werner smiled and held Aashi's hand. "Come on." He said leading the way up to the main resort. The interior was lavish and very ornate. As they walked up the short man that had greeted them walked up to the pair. "We can allow you to book the room for two nights. Is this acceptable?"

Werner nodded. "It will do." He moved and gave the man several credits. "Have your thing brought up to the room." He said as he lead Aashi and A to the elevators without waiting for a response. The glass elevator they were in gave them an amazing view of the beach and the surrounding buildings. As they reached the top floor a chime dinged. "Penthouse" it said as the door slid away. As they entered a short hallway they found their room and walked inside to find gold accented furniture wll placed and bowls of fruit and delicacies within reaching distance from each overstuffed and plush couch, chaise, and lounge chair in the room. Sets of full and expansive windows gave them even more panned out views of the beach than that which they had gotten from the elevator and Aashi's familiar flew close to them, scoping the view. The mirrored wall the walked by gave them a view of themselves, to which Aashi giggled at seeing the two of them together for the first time.

Werner looked at Aashi. "What's so funny?" He asked looking into the mirror, still holding her hand.

Aashi put her other hand over her mouth and let her giggle slip into it. "It's nothing," she said, then caught the look of surprise on his face and explained, "I'll tell you later," looking to the bedroom. "Oh, I guess... we'll be sharing a bed."

Werner shrugged. "It's not like we haven't done it before. You slept on me last night." He reminded her nonchalantly.

"I know, I know..." Aashi said. "It was just, unexpected and sort of a surprise."

Werner smiled and squeezed her hand. "If it makes you more comfortable, I can sleep on the couch and you can take the bed." He offered. "I don't mind really."

"No, no," Aashi squeaked, then said regularly, "I'm actually... looking forward to it. After last night, I think I would like to."

Werner smiled and gave her a peck on the cheek. "I would like that too." He said smiling. As he did there was a knock at the door. Werner finally broke his hold on Aashi's hand and walked to the door. The valet had brought up their clothes for them. Werner carried in the rest of the bags and placed them in their room, groaning as he did. He was over doing it... again. He then began to unpack his meager amount of clothes plus hers.

Aashi rushed over to him and said, "Oh, oh, don't do that! don't bend over like that, Ulysses. Let's not worry about unpacking and go enjoy the sunshine while it's still daytime. What do you say?"

Werner smiled. "Sure... that sounds great. Let's go lounge on the beach." He said looking down at Aashi. "Lead the way."

The pair went down stairs and bought Werner some swim trunks, then they went out and staked a claimon the beach. The two were out there for several hours at least laughing and having a good time, the sun warming their bodies as they enjoyed one another's presence. The waves lapped at their feet as the tide rose and they got up from where they had been nestled and walked along the beach. A local shucked the husk off of a local delicacy and for a small fee gave them the unhusked and round delicacy to put to their lips and drink. Aashi went first, savoring as she sipped, then it was Ulysses' turn. He on the otherhand did not have the acquired taste for the local dish. As he ate it his face went green as he swallowed. "Oh... That was...good." He lied through his teeth.

"Ahem," Aashi coughed, stifling a laugh. The local asked if they wanted more and she declined for the both of them. They walked on and found themselves in front of a small town, which they walked into. There were many small shops ands bars for patrons to spend money at. The two browsed the many shops, stopping for some drinks at one of the bars. Werner declined to drink alcohol as he could not with his pain killers. Aashi got a virginized drink, sans alcohol. They drank their virgin drinks and hung out there till late in the day. The pair didn't notice until the sun began to fall and the lights started coming on. "Well what now?" Werner asked as he paid for the drinks.

"Dinner would go well with all that sugar we just drank," Aashi said. They walked through the street, past a few different restaurants until they walked up to one with the menu posted outside.

"Can you read it for me?" Aashi asked, then said, "I think I got sand in my eye it's hard to focus on the words."

Werner looked over and and bent down getting in her face, looking deep into her eyes. "Your eyes are red." He said. "Are you sure your not just tired?" He asked wiping some sand off her cheek.

"No, no," she said, "I want to eat here before we go back to the suite, I just can't read it. They don't hurt, I just need you to read the menu, if that's alright."

"Sure Aashi." He said with a soft smile as he read off the menu. Several local dishes, as well as some favorites from around the sector. "Well, want to eat here?" He asked.

With a gracious smile, Aashi nodded and let Ulysses act as her seeing eye companion as he guided her into the restaurant. They were seated at a booth that overlooked the ocean and she sighed out.

"This reminds me of my home planet, quite a bit."

Werner frowned and reached across the table,holding her hand gingerly. "You homesick Aashi?" He asked.

She sighed out, placing a palm under her chin as she looked on, then said, "You would like it just as much as you like it here, if not more... a lot more. But I had the urge to travel and so ended up getting carted off by some nasty folk to spend my youth locked away from both space and home. So, I kind of forgot about home when I got out and only went after the dream of travel, instead. So, I guess it's nice to be back somewhere that reminds me of home, but not in so much as I am homesick."

Werner frowned and softly rubbed her hand. "Aashi, I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what that was like..." He said, not quite able to bring his eyes up to meet hers.

Aashi looked off distantly and almost muttered, but found the voice to say, "It doesn't matter, now. I would have never made a friend like you on Hlarai, would I have?"

He smiled softly and continued to rub her hand until the food arrived. They both ate, making small talk here and there. They finished their meal and Werner paid for the check. It was getting late and the two decided to spend the rest of the night in the penthouse suite. The two got upstairs and took turns bathing off and getting comfortable.

Aashi was the first to get into bed after the warm bath and felt herself nodding off, falling asleep well before Ulysses was done with his.

Ulysses showered off and changed into some casual clothes. He looked in and saw that Aashi had nodded off. Werner smiled softly, and he sat down in one of the plush arm chairs ane began reading a novel. After reading for a few minutes, he yawned. He walked into the bedroom and sat down. He slid into the bed and made sure Aashi was covered with the covers before he rested his head in the plush pillows. Werner smiled and wiped Aashi's bangs out of her face. He laid down and put a hand on hers as he slowly drifted off to sleep.

======================================================================

Her footsteps rung out in her ears as cackling screams as Aashi walked a path she had never seen before. Branches hung low and as she walked, they bent down to tear at her jacket and around her shins, weeds sprouted and caught her dress. She started to run as she felt the desire to get away from the place she was and soon, she was standing in front of her crew, all lined up with eyes lacking life. From them, a crew member, all but a boy, stepped forward and reached a hand out. Before she could grab it, Aashi was tumbling down away from them, and a cage was around Aashi. Devoid of all hope and beyond all reason, Aashi was trying to escape, but could not. She watched as a black mist abruptly seeped out from the edges of the barred cage and she flung herself back, away from it, only to find she was going closer and closer to more of the same shrouding blackness. Out from under the mist came forms that she knew all too well from her nightmares. Before she could fully make them out, she was being pulled out of the dream.

Werner was sound asleep, that is until Aashi began to start thrashing around. As she moved, Ulysses bolted upright and looked down to see Aashi. Tears streaming from her face, the look of sheer terror. Ulysses knew what to do instantly and acted.

He quickly moved over and swept Aashi up in his arms, holding her tightly. "Aashi... Shhhhhh...It's just a dream... I am right here." He cooed. "Come back Aashi. You're okay. Shhhhh." He said wiping the tears from her face. As he comforted her, she trashed against him at first. As she did, her horn cut the side of Ulysses face. He however did not realize he got cut, the adrenaline pumping throught his body. "Shhh. It's okay Aashi..."

Aashi buried her head into his chest and gripped his shirt in her hands, letting her tears fall. She held onto him as he cradled her and she let out wracked sobs for a few moments before his words got through to her and she realized she was safe in Ulysses' arms. She looked up at his grey eyes and then to the blood draining lightly from the wound on his face and her eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"Di-did," she stuttered, "Did I cut you, Ulysses?"

Werner looked at her in confusion, till he brought a hand up to his face and felt the cut. The cut was long, but shallow. The bleeding wasn't bad either, it was only a small trickle. Werner continued to cradle Aashi.

"I'm so sorry," she said, burying her head into his chest further.

"Oh Aashi..." He said moving a hand to her head. "Shhhhh. Aashi you didn't mean to do this. It was not you're fault. You would never hurt me, it was merely an accident." He said leaning down and kissing her forehead. "I am okay, you are okay." He said softly. "We are okay..."

She received the kiss as a blooming feeling of warmth came from inside of her. She felt loved and cherished and it gave her body waves of shivers. She shook slightly in his arms and looked up to his face again, eyes wide and mouth opened slightly as she inhaled sharply.

"There we go..." He said bringing a hand up to her cheek. "You're okay now. I'm here. I will always be here for you Aashi." He said with a soft smile. He rested his forehead against hers. "You will never be alone..."

Aashi almost sobbed again out of pure concern for her friend and what she was bringing him into, but the overwhelming feeling of care for her negated any feelings of concern or terror she may have had. She moved closer to him, feeling his legs against the back of hers, his hand moving to the small of her back.She felt calm and comforted by his touch and wrapped her arms around him, with one slung around his back and the other around his front so that they clasped above his shoulder. She let her chin rest on his other shoulder and whispered gently into his ear.

"You mean so much to me, I don't know what I would do without your care for me, thank you a million times over."

Werner smiled softly and wrapped her up gently in his arms. "I thought we didn't need to say thank you Aashi." He said teasing, looking down at her. He moved and whispered in her ear. "However, if we did, I would tell you that I would always be here for you. Day after day, year after year."

"You will, always?" she asked innocently into his ear. "I believe you. I guess I can't say thank you, then, can I? I can say," she continued whispering, "I'll always be here to let you wrap me up in your arms. I'll always be here to listen to you tell me you'll be with me, always."

Werner smiled and moved so that he could see Aashi's face. His steel grey eyes looked softly at hers then closed. He moved and placed a hand on her cheek. "Aashi..." Werner said softly.

She opened up an empathic link with him and shared all that she could with him, her fears and her feelings of care and concern all wrapped up in one while she experienced his feelings of compassion, love, and care poured out of him. As it always did. He smiled as he poured his feelings out for Aashi. "This is how I feel for you, always..." He said, his eyes still closed.

"I-I don't think anyone has ever... I have never..." Aashi said, trailing off both times she tried to start a sentence. "What is it that makes you feel like this?" she asked, finally.

Werner smiled and looked to her. "Because you are my friend Aashi... No that doesn't cover it. You are my best friend..."

Aashi smiled with confidence as she looked back at him, saying, "And you are my best friend. I couldn't imagine a better one, Ulysses. You are everything I could ever want in a friend and you are the best one I have ever come across. Thank you for opening yourself up to me and treating me the way that you do, with care and respect... and love."

"Aashi..." Werner said looking at her again. "Oh... Hell Aashi I am sorry..." When Aashi looked down, she saw that the blood from Werner's wound had dripped down and onto her bare shoulder. He moved and grabbed some disinfectant and wiped away the blood.

Shivers went up her spine as he touched her shoulder and she remained still as he wiped it clean. When he had finished, her familiar came over to her and she eased herself off of the bed while petting her. She looked around at the assortment of furniture and holoscreens and their bags and she looked back at him after bending down, to pick up her dress and slipped it on.

After a moment of thinking, she exclaimed, "Oh, oh! I saw a sign for diving sessions. Do you like to swim? She does," Aashi said, petting the Skyfish. "She would love to go diving."

Werner looked away as she moved to get dressed. He actually turned his body around, and faced the opposite way. "Sure, we can go shopping, then we can try diving. I hadn't done so since Basic training." He said as he waited for Aashi to finish dressing.

"Well,, let's go then," Aashi said as she and Ulysses had finished getting dressed and then went out the hotel room door with Ulysses' hand in hers. They went down the elevator, pointing out the views and the parts of the ocean they wanted to dive into the most and got down to the lobby together. They made their way to the promenade and went into the first store, a lingerie shop with few men, if any at all, inside. Aashi picked out a handful of lacey underwear, holding the last pair up to Ulysses, asking, "Is this one alright?"

Werner tried to protest as Aashi dragged him into the store. Werner's face was red as she held up the underwear.

"You have no opinion on them?" she asked. "I really can't decide."

"The...They are... Nice." Werner stammered out in response.

"I'll get them, then!" Aashi said as she put them in her basket and grabbed his hand as she led him to the back of the store, where the bras were hung and displayed neatly. "Now, I can't decide what color... I really like blue, and especially purple, but which one would you choose for me?"

"Uhh...Th...The blue one." He stammered out quickly again.

"I can't quite see that one, what does it look like?" she asked.

His face glowed red as he quickly grabbed the blue pair that saw and handed it to her.

As he handed it to her, she wondered aloud, "But should I try it on?"

Werner's face grew even hotter. "Uh... maybe the store clerk should help. I don't think I am much help here."

"Sure you are," she said to him as she led him to the back of the store and into one of the changing rooms. "You've seen it all before," she cooed to him as she slipped off her dress too fast for him to divert his eyes. "Just don't look now," she said quickly as she unfastened her bra and let it fall into her waiting hand. She revealed herself and his eyes weren't able to look away from Aashi as he didn't have a chance to turn. He saw all of Aashi and was struck by her beauty. In that moment he blushed harder than he ever had before, his face could melt steel. All of the excess blood flow to his face and nose caused one of the blood vessels near the surface of the nasal cavity to burst, causing blood to run down and out onto his face as he stared at Aashi.

"O-oh!" Aashi exclaimed as she rushed forward to Ulysses to bring her hands to his face to stop the blood flow, but she tripped on her own dress and slammed her chest into his face, feeling the contours of his nose and cheeks between her breasts. The blood from his nose pushed down between her breasts and went running down her abdomen. "Oh!" she said even louder and she pushed off of Ulysses' shoulder and knelt down, to look him in the eyes. "Are you okay? Are you? Oh my goodness, Ulysses. I didn't mean to-"

As Ulysses was pushed into her chest, his face, though unbelievable, burned even hotter. Even more blood flowed out and another blood vessel burst in the other nostril. With that Ulysses mind went blank and as Aashi pushed off of Werner, he fell backwards as the blood poured from his nose. As Aashi looked at his eye, he seemed in a daze.

"Ah!" Aashi said in a gasp and bent forward, fumbling with his body as it went limp. She grabbed his torso with her arms and had to bend forward to keep him upright. Her face mashed into his pants, above his legs, and she huffed out a breath in exasperation.

This time... the blushing faded fast as Aashi head butted Werner's *ahem* family jewels. With a small yelp of pain all the blood drained from his face, and the nose bleed dried up as the blood retreated from his face. He fell back hitting the floor and groaned. "OoOoOoOoOoOowww!"

There was a terse knock at the door followed by a question, "Everything okay?"

Aashi replied, "I might need some towels for in here! He... uh, he fell and got a nose bleed is all."

"Right away, Miss," came the reply from the other side of the door.

Aashi leaned over Ulysses and then scooped him up to cradle him in her arms. Not worrying about the blood getting on her, she let his face press against her chest and rocked back and forth, trying to be consoling for him, and said, "Shhhh, shhh, it'll be okay. It'll stop bleeding soon enough."

There cam another knock at the door and Aashi leaned over to turn the handle and let the clerk in. With a look of astonishment, the clerk handed over the clean towels and then asked promptly, "Anything else I can do for you?"

"Some warm water?" Aashi asked.

"Warm water, of course, miss. And will you be paying for those items?"

Aashi handed over her money and the items she was to buy and the clerk nodded enthusiastically, leaving, then came back momentarily with a bowel of warm water that Aashi dipped the towel into and pressed gently against his nose.

"It'll be okay, the bleeding has slowed substantially," she told him pseudo-jovially.

As Werner came out of the pain he looked ashamed. "Oh my, Aashi I am so sorry!" He exclaimed. "I... I didn't mean to look...I am so sorry!"

"It's okay, it's okay," she said quickly to ease his embarrassment. "It's perfectly okay. I just want to make sure you didn't hurt yourself any more. You didn't, did you?"

"No I am okay...Let's get out of here..." He said moving to stand and leave, looking completely ashamed of himself.

"Let's," she replied as the clerk came to her with change and a bag of her underwear and bra. She took it, almost ashamedly, and then put her clothes back on before holding Ulysses' elbow with her hands as the bag dangled off of her wrist.

She looked at him and let loose a small giggle as she said, "Oh, wait," and she grabbed a clean towel and dabbed at the corner of his chin and said, "There. Perfect. You sure you feel alright to go?"

He pulled Aashi in closer and nodded. "Sure let's get out of here..." He said.

She held onto his arm as she nodded solemnly to the clerk and went to the door of the lingerie shop and left it with him, then looked around the promenade and said aloud, "If I buy any more things, I probably shouldn't try to try them on in front of you, should I?"

"Just give me more of a heads up before you start stripping..." He replied as they walked together across the promenade. "So where shall we go now?" He asked moving his hand to hers, intertwining their fingers as they walked.

She pointed out one store and they went in, where she picked up a few crop tops and tanks in purples and blues and shorter than normal black shorts for the heat of 188604. She got a black zip-up hoodie and a pair of pajama shorts for getting cozy. Then they went to a boutique that sold varying shoes and she picked up a pair of shorter ankle boots, then got a pair of sandals on a whim. Sitting by the pool on 188604 would likely require them, anyway.

After the shoe store, she looked at Ulysses Werner and asked, "What do you need? Anything at all, they'll have it."

Werner looked down at his clothes and shrugged. "I mean i have fatigues and BDU's... besides that I don't have much. You have been in my room, I don't even have personnel effects." He said looking back down at her.

"Well let's change that!" she said, throwing up her hand and pulling his with her in her moment of exuberance. She brought him into a store that sold sunglasses by Emrys Industries and asked, "Anything here you like? They have nifty ones that are round with, oooh, it says they have nanobots on and in the diamond-like lens. See? I said they were nifty. What about this more rectangular pair?"

Werner moved and picked up the pair of glasses and tried them on. "Well, what do you think Aashi." He said turning for her to see. The sunglasses were blue, with green text scrolling across the screen saying demo.

"I like it on you, a lot. You look very good with sunglasses on, Ulysses. What do they do, exactly?" she asked him, tired of reading the little display signs and much more interested in what he had to say about them.

"I can connect them to my ship's computer or a datajockey and can use it as a heads up display, or just access them without being at a terminal. I think I will take them..." He said taking off the glasses and looking at them.

"You really should!" Aashi repliec excitedly. "They look so nice on you and I love the idea of you being able to interface with them. Get them, get them, get them."

He took the glasses of and looked at them for a few seconds, then moved to the clerk and purchased them. He also paid extra for them to act as functional glasses. He took out the contacts he was wearing and placed the glasses on his face, the auto tint making the glasses translucent. "Well... How are they? Never seen me with glasses on have you?" He asked.

She gave him a squeeze of the arm and smiled, "You look wonderful. I couldn't have imagined you looking even better than you did already, but you do. Though, don't be mistaken, I like how you look with or without them."

Werner smiled and held her hand as they walked out of the shop. He linked his glasses to his datajockey as they walked and set them up as they continued to walk. He was interrupted in thought however as Aashi jumped exuberantly and pointed towards a photo booth erratically.

"There, there! that, I want to!" she said in little puffs of emotion. "Ulysses, please, will you? Will you, please?"

Werner looked at Aashi and smiled. "Of course we can do a photobooth." He said giving her hand a squeeze.

They entered and Ulysses sat down on the small seat first, then Aashi tried to share it but had to finagle herself half on his lap and half on the seat to fit in. She pressed the buttons after entering the KS and asked of Ulysses,"Black and white or color?"

Werner stifled a laugh Aashi had to fit herself in the booth. Werner puller her onto his lap and moved so that he took up the middle of the booth. "Let's do color." He said with a smile.

The holoscreen showed them their faces and Aashi yelled out, "A happy one!" Not difficult for either of them, they showed how happy they were in that moment as the camera flashed and then Aashi barked, "A sad one, now!" and she made a grim expression while Ulysses
just used his usual deadpan expression.

"Now what?" He asked a the timer ticked down.

"Do something to my face and I'll do something to yours!" she said fast and put her index finger to her thumb with both hands and flipped them upside down over his eyes, giving him an owl-like mask.

He was confused for a moment and thought, before he reached over and pinched her cheeks lightly and pulled them outwards.

"Ah haha!" Aashi laughed as they finished with that picture and prepared for the last.

Ulysses looked for a moment, studying Aashi's face. He smiled softly at his friend, and thought about how much the two had done over there short time together, and how close the two had become. As the timer ticked down and Aashi posed for the last picture, Ulysses leaned in and kissed her on the cheek.

~Flash~

Aashi looked star-struck as the last picture was taken and she turned to Ulysses afterwards, surprise written all across her face. It wasn't the first time he had kissed her and she wondered when the last would be, as eventually there would have to be one. She hesitated while looking away from him, not knowing whether she was looking forward to that time or not.

The pictures developed quickly and they oggled them, pointing out each other's expressions more than their own before they put the dual set of four long pictures into thei shopping bags and turned towards the beach, walking past the promenade and shops.

Aashi then said, "Let's get suits and go diving!"

"Diving? What do you... Hey!" He didn't get to finish as Aashi literally dragged him into the swimsuit store.

They went to the swimsuit store and Aashi picked out an ubiquitous pair of swim trunks and a blue and white polka dot bikini for herself, wearing them out of the store, before they headed to the docks.

Werner selected a black pair of swim trunks and threw them on, following Aashi.

They approached the scuba diving stand and traded some KS for the equipment and they donned the tanks and respirators, which were light and uncumbersome, more advanced and technologically capable than what would have been expected in days past.

"Ready?" Aashi said through the scuba equipment's comms, holding his hand as they stood at the edge of the dock, their flippers on and ready.

Werner held up his other hand up in the 'okay' sign. "At the count of three, we jump." He said. "One...Two...Three!" As he finished he jumped in, letting the cool water surround him. He looked around in the flurry of bubbles for Aashi and A.

Aashi's familiar swooped into sight and then in a flash of color, dove deeper down as Aashi turned to face the depths. She had continued to hold Ulysses' hand and squeezed it gently before letting go to make a swooping motion with her arms as her feet began to paddle in the clear, slightly aquamarine water.

Werner smiled softly as he attempted to keep up with Aashi, slowly sinking into the water's depths. He was much slower than Aashi though and he had to fight to catch up,

Aashi turned to him and smiled and waved her hand as a flotilla of guppies raced through the water between them. She pointed wildly behind him and he turned to look at what looked to be a giant sea turtle languidly paddling through the water.

He stopped as the fish swam past him, and spun around to the see the massive turtle. He swam down, and back towards Aashi after staring at the turtle for a moment.

Aashi giggled into comms as they swam further out and said, "That thing is amazing! What would you name it if it were your pet?"

Werner looked back at the turtle for a moment. "I honestly don't know..." he said looking the turtle over again. "I'd probably name it Tank cause it's so damn big.

"Tank," Aashi said, "I like that." They moved past intricate coral reefs with amazingly bright and flourishing plant life growing from it that swayed delicately, as if pushed by a breeze. They found their bodies' movements echoed that of the coral reef life and had to persevere against the push and pull of the water in order to swim further out.

Werner admired all the sea life as they swam over the coral. He watched the fish that swam in and out if the reef and all the different life that thrived there. As they swam, it got harder and harder to swim out as the current was trying to push them back, the pair struggling to keep a steady pace forward.

Aashi turned to him and bopped him gently on the head and said, "Tag!" before swimming away from him.

"Hey!" He smirked as she swam away from him. He swam quickly after her but she was faster than he was. As he swam he stopped suddenly. "Owww. Cramp!" He said as he started sinking.

Aashi pushed through the water back towards him and grabbed his body in her arms. "Don't die on me," she said emphatically, pulling him up and towards the dock, using the current to bring them in faster by swimming with it.

Werner snickered as he broke free from her and bopped her on the head. "Now you are it." He teased as he flipped around and swam with the current.

Having been thwarted by his sly antics, she laughed out as she kicked her flippers and pressed her body forward through the water, gliding through it. Finally, she caught up to him and grabbed him around his body, again, this time not facilitating him but pulling him with her, instead.

"Gotcha," she said.

Werner smiled as Aashi grabbed him. He slipped his hand underneath her arms and began to tickle her. "You got me did you" he asked laughing. "I think it's the other way around."

"Ah!" Aashi exhaled. Then again she made the same noise a few times as her legs bunched up towards her chest and her hands balled into little fists. She scrunched up her nose and gave several more gasps before trying and failing to get close enough to him to tickle him back. She succumbed to his onslaught of tickles only when she had exhausted herself trying to get him back.

"Fine, fine," she breathed out into their comms. "You got me! You got me!"

Werner smiled and pulled her in close to him, holding her under the water. Nothing but aquamarine water as far as the eyes could see. "Look at this view Aashi...It's breath taking..."

"It's better than a lot I've seen..." Aashi said, trailing off, as well. She pointed out her familiar as it swam dozens of meters from them and even further out, the faint shape of a school of dolphin-like creatures. "I hope nothing out here eats Skyfish!"

Werner smiled. "A is okay. Look at her. She feels at home." He said watching the skyfish dip in and out of coral and zig zag all over the water.

"She is, you have that right," Aashi said as she allowed herself to be wrapped up in his arms. They watched the water world unfold in front of them as they rocked gently with the flow of it, absorbed in the scenery and one another.

After a few moments, Aashi stirred and turned her body in his and hugged him, saying, "Thank you for being such a good friend to me."

Werner looked puzzled, then his face melted into a soft smile. "Aashi..." He pulled her in close to his body and moved a hand to her face plate, placing it there. "I will be your friend till the end of time, not because I have to, but because I want to spend my time here with you..." He said resting his face plate against hers.

She happily let his head rest against her and gripped him tighter than she had held him before. They stayed like that and for awhile the only thing they knew was one another. Forever, they would stay as close as they were in that moment and together they would stay as happy as they were just then.

As the two held each other under the water, Werner moved so that he was on his back, kicking back towards the dock. This way she could stay right where she was. He kicked steadily, following the current back towards shore.

They made their way back like that, moving with the water as Aashi's familiar sometimes popped ahead to make its way past them and then would pivot in the waves and turn to them again, only to trail behind and pop back ahead once again.

They finally arrived on shore and quickly changed. The pair decided to head upstairs and just order room service, and enjoy the lavish room Werner had paid for. Once they arrived upstairs they ordered and ate, finally deciding to clean up. Werner bathed quickly so Aashi could soak for as long as she wanted. He dried off and hopped into bed, pulling out a book as Aashi took her nice long soak.

She enjoyed herself, thinking back on the things she had done with him that day and the days before that, all the way to the first night they had met, when at first she didn't know if he would arrest her or accept her onto the team.

He had done much more than that, taking her in when she needed it most and being there for her unlike any other friend had done. She put him in front of any other friends she had ever had and he was family to her, at this point. He was closer to her than she would have ever imagined and loved knowing he was a part of her life, now.

Recognizing that she was enjoying someone when their presence was just out of reach, she got out of the bath and toweled off before wrapping herself up in it. Then, she came out of the bathroom and went onto the bed, belly down and feet in the air, ankles crossed, as she looked at him with her hands underneath her chin.

"Do you know how much fun I've had with you?" she asked.

Werner read his book until Aashi crawled up into the bed next to him. As she did, he closed the book and set it on his nightstand. "I can imagine... I was there you know." He said bringing a hand up to her face with a smirk. "You know, when we first met, I thought you were going to shoot me..." He said thinking back on it.

"Good thing for you, I didn't have any guns," she said with a coy smile.

"Yes, the great pirate queen would have put me down right there, and yet..." He looked around the room then back to Aashi. "Look at all that has happened. The Pirate queen and the pirate hunter... I take it I failed at my job," He teased softly.

"I take it I did not," Aashi said as she gave a giggle. "I think we make quite the pairing, the two of us. I never thought I'd be happy to see us end up in this situation, together. But I am. I really am." She grabbed her hair from behind her back and down her shoulders and pulled it off to one side of her neck as she adjusted herself so that her head was in his lap as she looked up at him, "You are too?"

Werner laughed softly, and placed a hand on her head, softly stroking her hair. "Yes Aashi." He smiled. "I am very happy with how thing have turned out. I wouldn't change anything for the world." He said as he looked into her deep blue eyes.

She felt him stroke her and got closer and closer to the feeling of complete happiness as she laid her head on him. She pulled her lower body closer to him and cuddled against, holding her arms around his waist. After a moment, she brought her entire body up so that she was laying with him fully. She managed to keep her towel from slipping off completely, though it had nearly been tugged off as she moved.

Werner smiled softly and wrapped her up in his arms, resting her head in the crook of his shoulder. He moved and rested his forehead against hers. "Aashi...?" He asked holding out a hand for her to take.

Taking his hand, she held it close to her body and smiled, then nuzzled her face into his body some as they laid together. She felt his warmth, not just in the physical touch but in their mental connection as she opened up an empathic channel and she felt the two of them bond together, having the feelings draw out into many more than the ones they had originally felt the first time they had done this together. She felt his love and compassion for her and he felt the way she felt about him, the odd mixtures of feelings she had never before felt. Her body ached with relief and she moved her head side to side, rubbing her forehead against his and moved her leg up and over his. She held his hand in hers, empathic connection open, and tried to focus her feelings on ones of the future, questioning and intensely curious feelings, seeing what he would respond with.

Werner allowed his emotions to flow into her as they laid together, holding hands. He held her in his arms, enjoying the moment together. After awhile, he felt her feeling shift to that of curiosity. Werner looked puzzled. He leaned his head in next to hers. "What is it Aashi? What has you so curious? Is it what I will feel in the future?" He guessed. He built up a huge wave of love and compassion and sent it at her like a tidal wave. "Does this answer your question?" He whispered again.

"I..." Aashi said, muttering again, "I-I... don't know what to expect. I didn't know to expect this. But I don't know if I knew you would always feel this way, I thought maybe you would have..." she trailed off, then found the word she was apprehensive to say, "hesitations. About continuing to give me so much of your love when I give you so little." It was apparent in her speech that she was less than sure of herself, not knowing if she was giving him everything that he deserved from her.

Werner looked at Aashi, and sat up. As he did he pulled Aashi up and looked her in the eyes. "Aashi, I know how you feel, and you know how I feel." He said, his grey eyes staring into her. "Even so..." He pulled her into a tight hug. "You know I love you Aashi. I always will. I don't care if you don't feel the same, but this is how I feel. It is how I will always feel." He said pouring love through the link, then leaned in and kissed her on the cheek.

"Ah," she said, accepting the kiss graciously. "Thank you, Ulysses." She turned her head to him and smiled, genuinely overcome with feelings of gratitude that seeped out of her and into him. Aashi let her hands find their way around his torso and then sucked in a breath, inhaling his smell and promising to always remember it, to bring her calm when she was without him, perhaps. She promised to always let him guide her, even when she was without him, and she promised to always hold his love with her, even when without him. She let him experience what it was like for her to feel those things while she felt them as they touched.

"Aashi..." He pulled her in close to him and laid back down. The two laid intertwined on the bed, hugging each other. After several more minutes, he finally broke the silence. "...Aashi, I know when you were only a little girl you got taken away from home..." He said. "And yesterday, you seemed so homesick... Do you want to talk about it..." He asked as she looked at him wide-eyed, unblinking, before she turned her head from him and thought.

She looked back at him, finally, and said, "You're right, I am, in a sense. I...I haven't told you this, but I have a sister, too, that I miss. A twin sister. We used to have so much fun as little girls..." she trailed off and then asked, "Would you go to see my family with me some day soon? When you're all better?"

Werner smiled warmly and kissed her softly on the cheek again. "How about we go tomorrow..." He suggested instead, intertwining their fingers and pouring compassion for her.

Aashi shook her head in dismay, "I want to really... plan for it. It's not something to do on a whim. I haven't seen them in years upon years."

Werner held a finger to her lips. "Aashi...You are putting it off. Why are you afraid to go and see them? I can tell you are worried about it without the empathy link we share." He pressed his forehead against hers. "They love you Aashi, even more then I do. That will not ever change. You did not choose to be taken away. They won't blame you..." He lifted her chin with his hand so that there eyes were mere inches from each other. "Plus I will be with you. To support you. To love you." He said placing a palm on her cheek.

"I left my home to be like one of the Cohronl, to travel the stars.. and then I was captured. I did choose it."

"Oh my Aashi." He said pulling her in to another tight hug. "If you don't go, you will never know how they feel, and you will always be left wondering." He whispered to her. "I will always be here remember. I will be with you. Even if it is your worst fear, I will always be here to love you." He added.

"I...I will always be here to accept that love, Ulysses. Always. I will happily go with you, but first I need some time. I need to see you get better, first of all," she said, playfully tickling underneath his arms.

He laughed softly. "I will be okay Aashi. I am much better that before." He said grabbing her hands and smiling. "I get it, but don't wait on my account Aashi. I want to meet your family too." He said with a soft smile.

"They're a good bunch. My father, he's an archeologist and studied the Saal and the ancient history of the Iroma buried underneath out soil. It was amazing to be there for what he would bring home form digs. I can't even begin to explain the love of our people's history he had. It makes me wonder if he would be okay with me turning my back to it for so long."

Werner smiled and rubbed her cheek. "Aashi. You are his daughter, even if he doesn't like it, he will still love you." He replied.

"But," Aashi began, then stammered, "but... I don't know. It's been so long. Why come-"

"Shhhhh..." He said cutting her off again. "Aashi, you can't let your fear stop you. That is why I am here remember? To fight your fears..."

"Tell me," she said, setting her head to rest on her palm as she asked, "what it was like growing up where you did."

Werner shrugged. "My childhood was perfectly normal. Father was a military man. Hazel was a lot more shy and timid back then, but she was my little sister. I would tease her and take care of her. Play all the time." He said looking down at the bed. "But she has changed... You have seen her now, but you didn't know the sweet girl I knew then. After I left to join the 3rd fleet, she joined the fourth...Once she came back, she wasn't that sweet little girl anymore..."He closed his eyes. "And I feel like it is my fault for the loss of that sweet innocent girl. Now, she is rude, arrogant and has a lust for blood and money..." He said softly.

"It is nothing more than her fault for becoming those things, Ulysses... Not yours. I can see why you would take on her suffering as yours, but it's wholly unnecessary and will only cause you greater pain when she never adheres to what you believe she should adhere to."

His head stayed dooped. "I still feel responsble... If only...If only I had checked in on her more...If I had taken more vacations to visit her..." He said as if he hadn't heard Aashi's statement earlier. He rested his head in his hand. "It is my fault, because I fell out of touch with her and the rest of my family..."

"That's just the kind of thinking you want me to avoid, so why do you think it's alright for you to think it?" Aashi asked, Squeezing him and laying her head back down on his shoulder. "You're focused on the tasks at hand and there's nothing wrong with that, but at the same time, if you do think you have a real reason to see them, to intervene on something, you should follow through with that."

Werner rested his head on hers. "What's done is done... I can't change her back..." He said solemnly. "I'm sorry... I'm just..." He sighed.

"You're just showing you care," Aashi said. "I don't know who you would be if you didn't."

"Thanks Aashi..." He said looking at her. "I needed that."

She hugged him gently and asked, "How are you healing?"

He smiled and returned it. "I will be okay Ash..." He said.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "I have been tickling you an awful lot and that's not good for your ribs. Not one bit," she said, readying her fingers in order to tickle him further.

Werner smiled softly and pulled her in close, so close that she wasn't able to get her arms up to tickle him. "None of that now..." He whispered as he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek again. "My ribs can't take much more." He teased.

Aashi, always taken by surprise by his kisses, tucked her head into his body and clamped onto him with legs and arms. She held him tightly, avoiding putting pressure on his ribs or sides too much, and moved her nose against him, again taking in his smell and relishing in the moment. She held him like that and hoped it would never end, that them being with one another would always exist as part of her life and that they would always be comfortable enough to hug and hold one another. She pressed her body closer to him and felt the curves and contours of him against her. Aashi felt an inner happiness that she only felt when with him.

Werner hand brought a hand up to Aashi's face and softly caressed her cheek. "Oh Aashi..." He said softly as he held her in close to his body, feeling the warmth of her skin on his. "If I could spend the rest of my days here like this, I would be a very happy man..." He said with a warm smile.

"I wish you could. Maybe we can..." she said dreamily. "If only." After a few moments, she said, "I need to build that resort... I think I'll call it the Nath Building. Anyway, it can be just like here, and we can go to it whenever we want to pretend like we're on our mini-vacation again. What do they call that? A staycation? I want to know I can go back to feeling like this on 188604."

Werner smiled and kissed her again. "I will always feel this way whenever I am with you Ash." He said smiling. "But always having the penthouse of Nath Buildings to ourselves sounds like a great idea."

"Mmmm," she mumbled agreeably as she moved her head up and down on his body, "Mhmmm." She clutched his arm in her hand softly but unmovingly and let her other hand go to hold the back of his head. Aashi held him like that for several moments before she let her hands both push off of the bed and she sat up slowly before one hand went to the knot in her towel that held it all on her body. She flung her hair back behind her body with one hand as she heard a knock at the door.

"You get it," she said to him, "please."

Werner watched Aashi as she sat up, but everything was ruined by the knock at the door. He thought thousands of curses as he sat up to. He pulled Aashi in and gave her another quick kiss on the cheek as he stood and walked to the door in his underwear. He threw open the door. "Yes?" He asked slightly annoyed.

"Oh, er..." said the bellman. "I, uh, I'm sorry Mister, I truly am. I didn't mean to catch you at such an, er inconvenient time, Mister..." he held out two tickets. "But here are tickets to go airbike racing tomorrow, free of charge. We noticed you would be checking out in the morning and wanted to see if you would continue your stay with us here in exchange for the opportunity to try out a tried and true sport that we here at-" he stopped talking as Ulysses, grabbed the tickets and said. "Sure we will stay another day." and shut the door.

He walked back over to the bed room and found Aashi stretching out on the bed without him, like a cat would. She tucked her body together as he approached and she asked, "What was it?"

Werner stared as Aashi stretched out, as the towel slipped in a few places. He came out of his stupor as she spoke. "Oh, the hotel gave us VIP tickets to the Airbike races tomorrow as long as we stayed another night." He said crawling back into bed next to Aashi. "I said we would."

"I'm happy to do that with you," she said, relaxing further in the bed before pulling Ulysses close to her. "It sounds more than fun. Are you sure you're up to it with your ribs?"

He smiled to her and moved a piece of hair out of her eye. "I will be fine. It will be fun." He said placing a hand on the back of her head, holding her close. With the lights off, the two of them fell asleep quickly, wrapped in one another's arms.

The next morning, Aashi awoke with her head and a hand on Ulysses' chest. She tapped him gently as she looked into his face and whispered, "Good morning."

Werner felt the tapping on his face. He stirred to find Aashi looking down at him. "Hello Aashi, did you sleep well?" He asked smiling softly as he closed his eyes again.

She nodded up and down, her hair moving with her head as she did and Aashi muttered with a questioning tone, "And you?"

"I always sleep well when you are with me." He said with a soft smile, opening his eyes again.

She squeezed his body with hers and smiled, too, looking at him, still. "Want to do the airbases today? Or would you rather lay about?" She knew those were two very appealing options and she couldn't quite decide which she would rather do, wondering what he would say.

Werner smiled. "As much as I would love to lay about with you, we should go to the airbike races. It's not like VIP box tickets fall in your lap everyday. Plus we can lounge about there." He said sitting up and pulling her up into his lap.

She rubbed her face against his shoulder after he had pulled her atop him and yawned languidly, then nodded and squinted at him, saying, "I agree, I do. Let's go, then."

Werner nodded and smiled as he stood and got dressed. He threw on his glasses, fatigues and beret and waited in the living room for Aashi to finish getting ready. Aashi put on some of the black shorts she had gotten and donned her new bra and a crop top, then pulled on her short ankle boots and pet her familiar after she got out of the bath she had been soaking in overnight before following his lead.

"Ready?" she asked exuberantly.

Werner nodded and pet the familiar as she swooped by, before holding out his arm for Aashi to take. "It would be my pleasure to escort the lady." He said with a small smile.

"Well, I do say," Aashi replied, charmed, as she held his arm and they left the hotel room together. They went down the elevator and asked the concierge where to find the races. Once directions had been given, they headed that way. Aashi didn't know what to expect and knowing Werner had a better idea than she did, she let him point out a line of airbikes. Werner's smile broadened as he saw them and he gently led Aashi over to them.

"Here, let's take one of these to the race. It will be faster than walking." He said looking to her, with excitement in his eyes. His face remained normal, while his eyes looked like that of a child filled with knowledge that what they were about to do was absolutely fun.

Aashi, always one to accept a new and exciting mode of transportation, said, "I'm all for it," and glided towards the airbike, then waited for him to mount before she did.

He moved and picked out a blue airbike. He moved and sat in the seat, looking to Aashi. "Okay, sit down and wrap your arms around me."

"Can do," she said as she twisted her hips and swept a leg over one side of the bike, then planted herself down on the back of the seat. She scooted closer to him and pressed her chest against his back, then held her hands around him. "All set on my end," she notified him once she was in position.

He smiled and started the ignition. The engine roared to life as Werner revved the engine. "Hold on tight to me Aashi." He said, just before the bike leapt up into the air. She pressed her palms into his body and clung to him after it had lifted off of the ground and she giggled excitedly into his ear.

"So much fun," she said, "already. So much."

He grinned as he gripped the throttle and threw the airbike in gear. It took off into the sky, leaving a white trail behind them. Werner flew around for awhile, doing tricks for Aashi as they flew. After a few minutes of this he stopped high in the sky, looking out over the vast horizion. "It's beautiful isn't it?"

"More than," she agreed, pushing her face into his back as she looked on with him. She held him around his torso and rested her cheek where it was on him, looking out at the horizon. "It's less beautiful than someone I know...

He looked back at her over his shoulder. "Oh? Who might that be?" He asked with a small smile.

"Mmmm?" she smiled, too. "You don't know?"

"Well, I would say that there is a really beautiful woman, who I have been spending my time with. She would defiantly be much more beautiful than this sunrise." He replied, turning so that he could face her fully.

Aashi made a noise after her face had gone slack, sounding like an, "Aaawww," before a quick smile rose on her face. "You're too sweet, Ulysses. I meant you." If she had not already been holding him, she would have hugged him then and there.

He smiled and kissed her on the cheek again. "Come on, we are going to be late." He said as he turned back and opened the throttle again and speed off towards the racetrack.

"Mhmm!" she nodded as they made their way to the racetrack. She was enthralled by his skill and ability with the airbike and was more than disappointed to have to get off.

He smiled as she helped her off the bike. "Don't worry, we will ride some more later. Now come on my lady." He said holding his arm out again.

Daintily, she held his hand in a faux lady-like manner as she swung her leg over the bike and got off of it. She followed him to where they exchanged their tickets and were then led to a VIP box seat above the crowds. When they arrived, champagne gurgled in glasses and a fresh assortment of fruits lay strewn about on a large plate for the two of them.

"Anything you will need?" the man that had led them there asked.

Werner smiled, "Nothing at the moment, thank you." He said as he led Aashi over to the chairs overlooking the track. There were two seats for them, however as Werner sat, he pulled her down on his lap. "Well, what do you think?

She looked to him as she sat atop him and smiled curiously, "I'm comfortable, that's all I know. I hope you don't mind if I drink for the both of us, today," she said, taking up the champagne flute and sipping at it.

He rolled his eyes as the two settled in for the race. The first race began few races were nothing special, the favorite picks one their races, as Werner and Aashi talked and enjoyed each other's company. However, Aashi's drinks began piling up and she started rocking back and forth on his lap as she talked, growing over-excited quicker than normal.

"I'll tell you," she said, "the way we're doing this, I really like this," she said to Ulysses, then went on, "we're able to do this so much, just be together, that is. I don't care for anyone like I do you," she drawled, "and that's a fact." She went on, "I hope you know that. Know that I really like you, Ulysses Werner. Really like you."

He smiled softly as Aashi droned on. Until she said that last bit. He looked up at her and he smiled a bit more. "I know Aashi, and you know how I feel right?" He asked.

"Oh," Aashi said with an exaggerated air, "I think I know. It's hard not to know, you know. You're very good about being honest. I like that. I like you. Really, really."

Werner smiled and kissed her on the cheek. "How much have you had to drink so far Aashi?" He asked with a grin.

"Two of these things," Aashi said, holding up an empty champagne flute. Then she held up a tumbler and said, "One of these, too. I should say mixing alcohol with what you're taking would be a bad idea worth doing. But you're not going to go there, are you?"

He laughed softly. "No. Mixing pain killers and alcohol is a bad idea." He said as the next race began. The bikes zoomed through the track at very high speed. Werner watched on as the favorite won his race again. "Having fun Aashi?" He asked as he secretly stashed the other champagne flutes from her.

She nodded her head after punching the air enthusiastically and asked, "That was your favorite to win, wasn't it?"

"He was the favorite to win." Werner replied.

"Well which one is your favorite?" Aashi asked as she leaned forward.

"Hmm..." He thought, pulling up a roster. "I like this guy." He said pulling up his racing number. "He isn't one of the favorites, which is pretty crazy. The guy is a pro racer." He said looking back over to Aashi.

"Pro racer, huh? Do you think you two would get along?" she asked. "We should try meeting him."

"I don't think we are going to get down there Aashi." He said looking back up at her. "It be pretty hard to get to the pits." He added.

"The pits!" Aashi said, laughing, "What a name, what a name. Can they come up here? What if we call?" Aashi said, going to the holoscreen nearest them and began jabbing at it.

"No no no no!" Werner said jumping up, and scooping her up in her arms. "No Aashi." He said holding her in his arms. "He needs to race remember?"

"Ah!" Aashi squealed delightedly as she was brought into his arms. She let her feet dangle from one side and let her head fall to the other. Her hair nearly touched the ground and she giggled as she tried to make it touch by having her head descend further. She asked him as he reacted, "Having fun, Ulysses?"

He tried to keep her from falling to the floor. "Quit squirming you." He said with a smirk as he kissed her cheek again. "Quit squirming or no more kisses." He said with a mischievous smile.

"AH!" She said, this time loud enough to scare herself a little before she began moving and writhing in his arms, legs and head going one way and another as her hands, unlike the rest of her body, went to clasp behind his neck, securely holding him.

He struggled as she began flailing, regardless of her holding on to him. "WHat are you doing Aashi? Don't you make me..." He said before he slid a hand under her arm and tickled her.

She began laughing hysterically at being tickled and moved about in his arms as he did, exaggerating her every movement as she did. "Ok-ookay you got me!" she wailed in between laughs. "You got me, Ulysses!"

Werner smiled and stopped tickling her as she laid still in his arms. "There, isn't that better." He said with a small smile. He said as he moved a lock of hair from her face.

"Much," Aashi responded as she smiled at him and thought of nothing but the fun they were having. "Much, much better."

He smiled and carried her back to the chair and tucked her head back into his shoulder. "What do you want to do after the races?" He asked.

"Want to let me zoom around one of the liftcycle things," she said, then said, "I mean airbike? Please?"

"You are in no state to drive one. I will let you ride on one with me." He replied.

"I can do what I want," she said, drawing out the last word.

He kissed her again. "Well what if I say no?" He asked.

"What if you..." she trailed off, then became delighted, "They're starting another race! Ulysses I want to bet on this one, can I?"

He nodded. "Sure, we can bet on this one." He said tapping a holoboard. "Which one you wanna bet on?" He asked.

"The red one!" she said emphatically, then added, "That red one," as she pointed her finger at one of the many red airbikes. "I want to put a trillion down on it. I believe in it that much!"

He placed a small bet on the the racer in question and handed her a receipt of the the ticket. "There you go Aashi. Don't lose it. If you do then you won't get to keep your money." He warned her.

Aashi made a small, "Ooooh," sound as she took the receipt in her hand, pawing it idly until the race started. She watched as the race went on. Her racer was doing poorly at first, yet as the race went on he was able to pull it together and caught up. Snagging the win, just in the nic of time.

"Aaaaah yeah! Would you look at that! I'm ahead and nobody's dead!" Aashi hollered out before repeating to Ulysses, "Would you look at that!"

He smiled. "You won Aashi." He said snatching the ticket from her and cashing it. The one she picked was 12:1 odds to win. That meant that for every 1 DA she bet, she got 12 back. Werner made a 10 DA bet, meaning... "Here you go Aashi." He said handing her the winnings.

"Double or nothing!" Aashi said as she put her winnings down on the table in front of them with a thunk, excitedly saying, "I'm infallible and this next race will prove it!"

Werner shook his head. "Aashi, I don't think that's a good idea..." He said stepping forward and placing a a hand on her hand before she could leave the money. "You got lucky once." He warned.

Aashi looked up at Ulysses confusedly, then back to the money. She knew which she preferred more and retracted her hand away from the table, DA still in hand. "I hear ya, I do. 12 to 1 were pretty tough odds to beat. I bet I could have done it again, though I guess we'll never find out."

He smiled and hugged her for making the right choice. "Good job Aashi. How about I make you a bet. You pick a racer, and tell me what you want if you win." He said holding her hand.

"Oooh?" Aashi said, liking the deal. She went on to say, "I would like nothing more to spend as much time as I can with you, Ulysses."

He smiled warmly and pulled her into his arms again. "Oh Aashi. You already won that a long time ago." He said with a smile.

She nuzzled into his chest and sighed out deeply before turning her attention to the race, saying, "Which are you going to bet on? We can get dinner with the winnings afterwards, how about that?"

He smiled as he put a hand on her head and held her. "Sure. I put a bit on this race, we can go get some food after this." He said kissing her forehead. "Come on, let's go watch."

"Come on where?" she asked after he had kissed her forehead, looking perplexed. "The pits?" she asked excitedly.

"Yes. Let's go see if we can watch from the pits." He said holding out his arm for her to take. "Are you ready?" He asked.

"So ready!" she said jovially as she held his arm in hers and walked with him. They descended from their VIP box and made their way past the crowds and to the guarded Pit area. They approached the guards and Werner whispered into her ear. "Play along..."

As they walked up they were stopped by a guard. "Hey you two, nobody is allowed in the Pits without a pass."

"I'm sorry sir, but my brother just crashed. You have to let me through." Werner said sternly.

"I don't think you need to see tickets when he's the brother of one of the racers. Yeah," Aashi said confidently, "the one that just slid his face into the ground? That's who we're looking to go see before EMT's jet him off to the hospital. We need to get in there."

"I understand sir, but your brother would have given his family a pass." The guard replied.

"He couldn't have, I was coming to surprise him. I just got some shore leave today and was coming to surprise him. Oh man, I hope he is okay..." He said worried.

"I don't think there should be anything stopping you from letting him see his brother as I console him, sir. If you want, we can even show you our VIP tickets..."

The guard looked for a minute. "Okay. Here are some guest passes. Now get going." He said holding up the barrier.

"Bless you sir." Werner said, with a faux tear in his eye as he hurried through the gate.

"That," Aashi said when she was well out of ear shot of the guard, said, "was some great acting, Ulysses. Very well done."

Werner smiled. "I did learn from the pirate queen." He said wrapping an arm around her as they walked.

She moved close to his body as they walked and felt his grip on her as a comfort.

"Oh, oh!" she said, pointing to the rider she had made money off of as he took his helmet off and she said to Ulysses, "You want to say hi?"

He shook his head. "Probably not a good idea..." he began to say until Aashi strode over to the man and extended a hand as she spoke clearly and confidently.

"Aashi Nath, ship captain and happy to make your acquaintance, Mister..." she trailed off as she waited for his response.

Werner faced palmed as Aashi walked away from him.

"Keith Sunderland" He said as he handed his helmet of to his crew chief, and took her hand. "It's a pleasure Ms. Nath." He said, bringing her hand up to his lips.

Werner rolled his eyes as he walked up to Aashi. "Mr. Sunderland. Ulysses Werner. A pleasure to meet you." He said eyeing the man behind his new glasses.

"Yeah hi..." He said looking at Aashi the whole time. "So, you like airbike races?" He asked Aashi.

"I like them as much as the next Iromakuanhe," she said, "that is to say, I didn't know I liked them until today. Races are always so... exhilirating, I find. There is so much to enjoy about them. Tell us," she said, holding Ulysses arm as she said the last word. "What is it you most enjoy about the race?"

The man seemed to deflate as she took his arm, and Werner smirked. "Yes, please. We would love to know." He added.

Keith looked between the two. "I love the thrill of the race, the fast paced action, plus all the ladies winning brings." He said proudly.

Werner rolled his eyes again. "Yes, very lovely for you..." Werner mumbled.

"I can understand why you do it, then," Aashi said. "The thrill of the race and fast paced action overshadow the lucky lips that come afterwards, I would assume," she said with a smile, knowing fully well they likely did not.

Keith was about to reply when the crew chief yelled over. "Keith, get your ass over here. Almost time for the next race!" He said.

Keith nodded and smiled at Aashi. "See ya around beautiful." He said running off into the pits.

Werner grumbled. "Pretentious prick..."

"He wasn't all bad," she said, "though it was nice to have you here to keep him from hitting on me any more than he already did. Thank you for that."

He gave her hand a squeeze. "Anytime Aashi." He said with a smile.

"Where to, now?" she asked him.

"Hmm... Good question..." He said looking thoughtful. "Where would you like to go?" he asked.

"Wherever you do, my dear," she said to him wistfully.

He smiled and kissed her on the cheek. "The same with you sweet heart. Come on, I have an idea." He held her hand in his as they left. However as they walked out, the security guard from earlier tried to stop them.

"Hey!" The guard called.

"Shit..." He picked up Aashi, holding her bridal style. "Hold on!" He yelled laughing as he ran with her.

"Ah!" Aashi said as she was swept up into his arms, holding onto him for dear life.

He laughed as he ran. He rushed past the guards and made it outside with three guards following them. He jumped onto the airbike, still holding Aashi and jumped the bike up into the air and zoomed away. After a few seconds he stopped and looked at Aashi, busting out laughing.

Aashi was full of return giggles and she said, "That was too much fun, oh my gosh!"

He smiled softly and pressed his forehead against hers as they hovered there in the sky.

"I loved today, and yesterday," she said. "And every day that we've gotten to spend with one another."

"I love every moment we get to spend together." He said quietly.

"And thankfully, we've gotten to spend a lot of moments together," she said, genuinely gracious for the way things had turned out between them.

He smiled and kissed her again. "What do you say we go back to the hotel and enjoy our last day in the penthouse. Let's watch movies and just relax. We still never used the hot tub there either..." He said as an after thought.

"That is true," she said. "Let's go back there, then!"

Werner flew the pair back to their penthouse, and he escorted Aashi back up and into the room. As she changed, he laid out a blanket and several pillows, and set out a tray of finger snacks. As he waited he looked around. "Hmm, where is my girl at?" He asked with a smirk as he looked for the little familiar.

The Matai Skyfish zoomed out of the bathroom and flopped onto the bed, then rolled over like a puppy would, waiting for belly rubs.

Werner smiled and walked over to the bed. "There she is!" He said rubbing the Manta's belly.

"What are you two doing out there?" Aashi asked as she unslung her panties from her legs and put on a newly bought pair, then pulled on her also new pajama shorts.

"Uhhh... Nothing..." Werner said as he continued to pet the Manta.

"Well I'm all finished up in here," Aashi said as she exited the bathroom. She flopped onto the bed and popped a morself of food into her mouth before asking, "What are we going to watch?"

Werner smiled and sat down on the bed, next to Aashi. "I have several movies we can watch. You pick." He said as he grabbed a sandwich.

"I'll take.." Aashi said as she perused the selection, "a Nick Steele film?"

"Sure." he said selecting the film. "Come on. I set up a spot in the living room." He said with a smile.

She followed him in there and laid down with a flourish onto the floor where the blankets and pillows had been set up.

Ulysses laid down and pulled Aashi into the crook of his arm as he started the film.

Aashi moved closer into him and they began watching the super-spy movie with interest in both each other and on the film.

Werner smiled softly as the movie played. Nick Steele was running through the streets of Kyoto, running from SAINT agents when Ulysses moved his hand and held her's and gave it a soft squeeze.

Aashi looked down at their hands and back up at Ulysses and smiled happily, giving his hand a bit of a squeeze as she did.

Werner returned the smile and he rested his head against her head. As they continued to watch the movie however, the door slammed open. "Nobody move!" Called the gunman at the door.

"What the hell?!?" Werner said, diving over Aashi to put himself between the gunman and her.

"No freaking way!" Aashi said immediately, almost yelling over Ulysses. She made herself as small a target as possible while assessing the situation.

The gunman moved and entered the room. It was apparent that he was not with the authorities. He had to have been a bounty hunter... "Do you really think that you could come out in public and not be noticed?" He asked at Aashi. "The Pirate Queen herself thinks she can go on vacation and not get caught? Plus your little fiasco at the Skybike races only made it that much easier to find you." He said as he entered. Werner was up and matching him so that he stayed between them. "And who is this supposed to be Aashi? Your new plaything?" He asked pointing the gun up at Ulysses.

"I've never had a plaything," Aashi said defiantly. "What is it you want here? To take me away? You're not going to get to be able to do that," she said, again defiant. "Because, you see, I have a little thing called luck, which you don't have, at all." She messaged her familiar to strike, and strike she did. The Matai Skyfish flew from behind Aashi towards the gunman and knocked into his head, full-force.

The gunman yelled and began firing wildly. Werner tried to shield Aashi, but a stray round slammed into her shoulder...

Werner looked at Aashi in shock as the man tried to stand. Werner was enraged and jumped the couch and grabbed the gun, firing the entire clip into him. The gunman fell, dead on the spot. Werner jumped back over and held Aashi. "Aashi! Are you okay?" He asked as he studied the wound.

Her wound barely leaked, as the blood of the Iromakuanhe coagulated quickly, and she was only in extreme pain, but not in danger of blood loss. Instead of speak, she shook her head side to side and tears leaked out of her eyes on either side.

He held her close to his chest. "A! Grab the first aid kit! He called at the familiar. "Oh Aashi... I am so sorry... Hold on. I will patch you up."

Aashi nodded her head, this time up and down as she bit her lip. Her fists clenched and her familiar twitched on the ground next to the both of them.

"No, no, no, no..." He muttered. He laid Aashi down and ran to the bathroom and grabbed the kit.

He ran back in, but not before he heard a radio crackle on the gunman. "...what happened? We are coming up!"

"Damn..." He said, running over. He grabbed the skyfish and gently held it so it couldn't hurt itself as he opened the kit. He layed the skyfish down again and lifted Aashi and looked at her shoulder, seeing that there was an exit wound. "Okay, the bullet isn't in your shoulder." He said quietly as he grabbed an injector full of a local anesthetic. "Okay, hold still..." He said as he pressed the needle into her shoulder, right next to the bullet wound and pressed the plunger. "Aashi, I'm sorry..." He said as the medicine entered and began to burn. The local burned for a few moments before her shoulder went numb, then she couldn't feel her shoulder at all. He held her close as the meds worked, then continued.

"More..." she mumbled when the pain had finally numbed. "More are... coming."

"Shh. I will handle it..." He said as he cleaned the wound. He quickly sewed the two wounds closed and taped gauze over it. He looked around and layed her back down. "Aashi, you need to hold A. I'm coming back okay?" He said jumping the couch again and quickly moving to there bedroom. He grabbed his Zen Armaments 45. pistol, several of their personal belongings and finally their pictures. He shoved them into his jacket and several more things into his rucksack before he ran back and scooped Aashi and the skyfish. "Hold on to A. I'll get us out of here..." he said as he quickly ran from the room.

Aashi directed her Skyfish to come closer to her without a word and it moved to her sympathetically, letting her cling to it. She didn't try to lift herself up or move at all, simply closed her eyes, wishing the tears would stop streaming out of her eyes.

He pressed her face into his chest as he ran, he moved and checked the elevator. Both elevators were coming straight for the penthouse. "Damn..." He said as he ran to the stairs and began running down the several flights. As he passed a few more flights, he heard heavy foot falls coming up the stairs. "Damn damn damn..." He mumbled as he ran through the closest door.

They had entered a kitchen area where bussers, servers, and cooks all coalesced.

"Go away from..." She stuttered, "B-bad guys. This way is good."

"Is she okay?" asked a waiter as he rushed forward.

Werner nodded. "There are men coming up the stairs. They are trying to kill us. Block the staircase." He said as he muscled his way past them and ran. He ran through the doors and into the restaurant beyond. "Shit..." Werner muttered.

People bustled about inside of it and the two made an odd pair. Soon, all eyes were on them as Ulysses ran past everyone. He was about to exit the restaurant, a guard moved into his path. "Freeze!"

Werner had no choice. He fired his Zen 45. and hit the guard's knee and ran past. "Well, I don't think we can come back..."

"Get to the ship?" Aashi asked with a questioning lilt to her voice.

"Yes. We have no choice... We need to get off world ASAP." He said as he rushed through the halls of the building. He found another set of elevators and called one up. As he did, gunfire could be heard behind them. "Give us the pirate queen, and nobody else gets hurt!" Several bountys rushed out of the restaurant behind them. "Why do you even care man? You could be filthy rich if you turned her in? Is she really worth it?" One of them said holding up his rifle.

Werner looked down at Aashi. "Yes. She is the most amazing woman I have ever met. I love her..." He said softly as he lifted his own pistol and fired quickly into the group. The duck out of the way and returned fire as the elevator dinged and opened. He dove into the elevator and hit the button for the ground floor.

Aashi looked to him and smiled, "Really, really?"

He leaned down and kissed her. "Really, really."

She smiled as the door pinged and opened.

Ulysses ran out of the elevator, and sprinted through the lobby. Several more bounty hunters rushed in from the stairs. "Get that bastard!" One of them yelled.

"Fuck!!!" Werner yelled as he fired back at them and continued to run.

Aashi looked from the bounty hunters to Ulysses and then back to them in rapid succession.

"We've got the lead on them,"she told him. "I can run on my own, Ulysses. I think."

"I'm not risking it." he said as he ran. He ran dodging bullets as he ran. He turned down an alley and made a break for the starport. The pair made it back to the ship after they were able to slip their way past the bounty hunters. Ulysses ran quickly to the Pumpkin Eater and up the ramp, closing it up behind him. He moved quickly and moved to her room and layed her down. He kissed her cheek. "Stay here." He said as he made his way to the bridge.

Aashi did as she was told and her familiar loomed over her as she allowed herself to lay motionless as tears once again began to stream down her cheeks.

Werner jumped into the pilot's chair and fired up the engines. "Here goes nothing..." He said to no one in particular. The Pumpkin Eater leapt into the air and flew skywards. He was able to get out into space and hit jumped to FTL, before he slumped into the chair. He got up, and walked back to Aashi's room. He found her crying, tears soaking her pjs. "Oh Aashi..." He moved quickly and layed down next to her. He pulled her in close to him and cradled her head in his arms. "Aashi, are you in pain? I can get you some more medicine..."

"No, no... thank you," Aashi said, "for saving me. For everything. Thank you."

"Oh Aashi..." He wiped away the tears from her cheek. "I said it to those bastards, and I meant it... I love you..."

She lifted herself up off the bed enough to hug him and moved her face into his body, saying again, "Thank you."

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…