Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 188604 [Aashi] There and Back Again

• Thread starter Thread starter Ametheliana
  • Start date Start date
A

Ametheliana

The Pumpkin Eater

Aashi Nath was capable and confident in her abilities at getting the Taishita Heavy Class Freighter up in the air and out of 188604's atmosphere. She went into FTL speeds as soon as possible and spent some time recounting the dream she had had the night before, if it could be called that. It had been another of the same kind she was having as of late. The same images and same lost, out of control feeling as before, on The Necromancer.

Her mind wasn't put at ease when she was back at STL speeds upon arriving near the Vekimen's planet. She put inertial dampers off and thrusters were slowed while she decelerated into the atmosphere, then engaged them fully after she was about 6000 m above the planet's surface.

She radioed in, "Aashi Nath, of USO, requesting permission to land."

There was a short moment of silence before the hail was greeted. "We have been expecting a ship from USO. Please land a Loading dock 7. Your package is awaiting transfer" The Vekimen on the other end stated. It was different from the last time. Trained, professional, and quick. "Please prepare yourself for armed soldiers. We understand you were put off by this, but they are regulations we need to follow at all times" He added as almost an afterthought before the line went dead.

The trip down into the belly of the planet was similar as it was last time. This time though, the docking pad was along the bottom tier of the massive Hangar, along the ground, and there were several thousand Vekimen. Things were noticeably different this time. Instead of the wild, erratic and often violent scenes experienced by the previous visitors, all these Vekimen looked organized. There was a clear location for landing, but even the Vekimen had low hopes of all fitting onto the ship.

Aashi moved the ship into position and had landing gear deploy. Once landed, she turned systems off and stood from the chair. She walked the hallway she had grown to know, the heels of her tall boots clicking against the floor as she did. Aashi exited the ship, hands up.

"Hello again," she said not anyone in particular, but to the race as a whole. "You're all ready to make this happen, I presume?"

After a moment of silence, she spoke again, "Is there anyone in particular I should be addressing? 'You all' doesn't particularly suit me as a phrase."

As Aashi spoke a Vekimen wearing a simple black suit, similar to the one the rest of the Vekimen here wore ran over. He reached up and grabbed his horn, giving a small bow before addressing. "Yes Ma'am. I am currently appointed liaison between USO and the VDTF. We have 2000 troops on standby, with the other 8000 promised troops awaiting to move into the hangar and be loaded at a moments notice" He explained, before looking over the woman's shoulder at the ship. "Is this all? Even with our abilities, I do not believe I will fit a few thousand Vekimen aboard this ship Ma'am..." He said, sounding a little confused.

"This ship's do 500 and maybe a bit more," Aashi said, gritting her teeth as she wondered if that were the truth of it. "Let's see what we can do."

The Vekimen nodded, holding down his concern. Still, he turned and barked out a series of orders which got all the Vekimens attention. After a moment, they orderly started to board the ship is a quick, yet organized a manner they could. As they did so, the liaison turned back to Aashi. "The Sraralumee ordered that all Vekimen going with you to work be put through a crash course on basic training, with standing orders that those who do not abide by the rules and regulations set in place by the VDTF or USO will be immediately executed. She has high hopes for the outcome of this endeavor, as do we all. As far as she is concerned, any action that goes against you, your ship, or USO is an act of Military Treason. If my may be bold though and request permission to speak freely?" He asked.

"What is your name?" Aashi asked. "I know you only as Liaison."

The Vekimen blinked. "Uhm... I am Uram Lak'Sivaro, Ma'am. I was appointed specifically to you until this is completed, to which I will be replaced by a sister Family mate as a more long term liaison. She, like myself, will be tasked with ensuring your wishes are fulfilled by the workers and that the researchers have everything they may need. We have both been thoroughly trained on language norms of Yamatai, and Trade" He stated.

"Hmmm," Aashi said as she put her hand on her hip. "You really are the talker. What else did you want to say when you asked for permission to speak freely? Oh, and by the way, you're appointed to Uso, not me. She is your leader, not me. Go on."

"As far as the VDTF is concerned Ma'am, all USO members shall be treated with the same respect until a clear chain of command is established." He quipped at the who's in charge statement. "As for what I wanted to say, while they may look good now, even our toughest, most disciplined citizens could not maintain this level for very long. You have our support should you ever need it" He added.

"Then we'll use you for all you're worth until that time comes. To reiterate, Uram, you are saying that your professional soldiers will not be able to maintain that level for very long, am I correct?"

Uram nodded. "Yes... They are Kiraten, and these are not professional soldiers. These are standard Soldiers. I am a professional soldier, my Family are professional soldiers, these? They are Soldiers because Enlistment is mandatory. Since the forming of the VDTF over 1300 years ago, enlistment has been mandatory for all citizens. Everyone you see here has a Military rank, identification, and all other required information, and by law must be capable of presenting it" He explained, pointing at the single gold band around his horn.

"I see," Aashi said, then pointed to the 40 plus gold chains around her neck, "I have something similar. Now, all aboard!"

"Yes, we were told of the Pirate Lord. I took the initiative to assume it was you I was briefed on regarding them" He stated before the all-aboard was called. Uram seemed hesitant at first, before taking a deep breath and stiffly walking onto the ship as the flow of Vekimen was halted and the landing pad cleared out for take off.

Uram and Aashi went onto the bridge after they had gotten 500 on board, including Uram, and Aashi booted up the Geshrinari gravitational engines and they lifted off, out of the cave-like substructure and got them off planet and out of atmosphere just as quickly as she had with Ronin and Uso. this time, there was to be no movie as Aashi made sure not to go past the planet itself, this time. She brought them out of FTL speeds thanks to the hyperspace fold drive. She touched down on the landing field of Osman city and looked to Uram wordlessly, expecting them to usher the Vekimen out.

"Tell them to wait here," she said. "No, scratch that. Tell them to get out of the way when I have to land here again. They can stand around for awhile while," she recalled what the Vekimen liaison had said, "maintaining their level for that long?"

The Vekimen looked at the planet surface, a little lost looking. As if he were a deer in the headlights fixated by the wide open space before him. He was silent, stuck like this for a moment before shaking himself out of it and focusing on Aashi again. "Oh... Well see I don't see why not, so long as they are allowed to dig and get underground..." He explained, his eyes now fixated on the Privateer Captain, almost unnaturally so.

"Dig and get underground, huh? I want them to find the place most suitable to them and beginning digging their shelter there, for now. This will be their temporary or long-term home for the next while, so prepare accordingly. Relay that information for me and get back on, we have a few more rounds of this to go."

Uram nodded quickly, rushing down the gangplank and literally shrieking out orders to the Vekimen who were still on the ship, mostly hesitant to get out. Once he was finished though, a group rushed out ad started digging into the earth, kicking up dirt at an alarming rate as the rest followed. The coordination they had was surprising, and it didn't take very long for the last of the Vekimen to get under the ground. Only downside was that there was now a rather large hole in the ground within a strong rocks throw of the ship.

Uram rushed back to the ship, taking a deep breath. "Vekimen do not like large spaces."

"No! No," Aashi started yelling out at the Vekimen. "Over there!" she said, swinging her arms frantically towards the empty plains of deep orange earth. "Tell them," Aashi said, looking abruptly at Uram.

Uram looked at the hole, and then at how Aashi was frantically trying to get them to go somewhere else. "They are already gone... Unless you want me to follow them down and tell them to move, in all honesty they need to go a few hundred meters down before they really start branching out. We could easily close this hole off later. This just removes the Vekimen from being out in the open for too long" He explained, shrugging. "There is nothing I can do at this point if you wish me to maintain civility in them Ma'am"

"No," Aashi said, mouth agape for half a moment before she turned tail, "let's go."

The next trip had the same ease as the first, and so did the second and third, finally until they had the last 500 Vekimen loaded and out of atmosphere. FTL speeds set, Aashi leaned back and put her hands behind her head.

"So Uram," she said, "what's it like being free at last?"

"I don't understand your question. I do not recall being a captive of anything" He stated, having nervously sat in the communications chair. He wore his respirator, after having told the Captain that the Vekimen disinfect the entire ship. On the planet, it was hard to tell how badly the Vekimen's breath smelled, but on a ship it was a mite easier...

"Huh," Aashi said, her attempt at banter going unrequited. "Well, it looks to me like you've got a whole new place to call home. What's that going to be like for you?"

Uram also looked confused at this. "I am only temporary Ma'am... I am to remain on Komodo. One of my sisters will be taking my place on the last trip..." He said, feeling a little awkward. "I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear enough initially" He added apologetically.

"No, you're with me, Uram. Let's stick this out together. Besides, you're free at last. You don't even have to do any of the drilling or work, if you don't want to. I want you to be a liaison to the locals and get to know Uso's crew with the foreman that's already on planet, among other things. You're already here, anyway, and I don't know if I can make another trip back there today, to be honest. What do you say? You have a choice in the matter, you know."

Uram blinked, looking at the communications panel. "Uhm... Mind if I use this then?" He asked. "I actually wasn't given a full briefing on everything, so after all this, I have no idea what's happening. Worst comes to worst, the VDTF will send a Destroyer to fetch me" He explained, thinking about it. He must have lost count... Had to have lost count. Was his sister already on board? This was actually the very last run?

"Well getting a destroyer to fetch you sounds like the last thing we need, unless they're bringing one in your place. You're indispensable already. The way you got them to drill that hole?" she made a motion of kissing her fingers to her lips, "It was perfection. For that, you can use the comms all you want, go ahead."

Uram nodded, a little confused but happy all the same at the compliments. He started to work on the COM's, pulling a little trial and error before he seemed to click with how the system ran. He was on the "Phone" for a few minutes, making all sorts of weird sounds as he conversed with whoever was on the other end. Eventually though, he disconnected. "Well, I explained to them you find mine and the other liaison presence to be required, and my commander said if there was any explicit problems with USO getting 10,001 Vekimen instead of 10,000, he might actually care if I come back..." He said, obviously conflicted at the implications of the gist of the message.

"If Uso cares," Aashi said, she'll bring it up with you and I'll bring you back immediately. Are you sure your commander doesn't care? We won't lose this deal just because we took one too many? If that's the case, I'll turn this heavy freighter right around." Aashi's hands were actually at the controls to get out of FTL and to thrust their way into a turn.

Uram shook his head. "No no, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we had a couple stowaways. Some families hate to be separated, so we already probably have about.... two hundred more than offered. Despite being a Laderen, our Sraralumee is shockingly smart in the long term. On the spot she is pretty average, but I can assure you she was anticipating you getting more Vekimen that she offered. Honestly, I think she was accounting that into the deal. She couldn't offer /more/ though, or else we would have even more Vekimen going AWOL. We will just have to find their Registration number, and punish the stow aways. Nothing extreme. Maybe no food for a few days at worst. After living on the station, that would be a slap on the wrist" He said, slumping into the chair.

"I am all for it," Aashi said, "But Uso specifically requested that no Vekimen is treated unfairly. Not only Uso, but others as well. Unfairly means no slaps on the wrist, no food deprivation, no beating, torture, or otherwise. Can they be controlled without those forms of punishment?"

"Shock collars?" He suggested, shrugging.

"Again, all for it. But it is a direct order to not punish one another save for..." Aashi thought a moment. "Isolation. They will be asked to stay at an inn in town if they misbehave. No more than one Vekimen may stay at an inn at any time. That should solve that problem. Does it?"

Uram seemed to think. "As much as I and many other Vekimen, including the Sraralumee respect Uso... I do not know how much authority Uso has been given within the VDTF. The whole point of my, an my sisters job is to act as a Bridge so to speak. You speak to us, we speak to the Vekimen as a whole. This way they still followed VDTF regulations, without USO having to spend any real effort policing the massive population addition. Unfortunately, the VDTF have punishments already set in place, and we did not leave the VDTF and come to be your citizens. We are still very much so VDTF on contract more or less as mercenaries to your cause. Yes, we may only be miners, but we are all for the most part combat trained" He explain. "I hope this isn't bad..." He added. He liked Aashi. She wasn't all that terrifying after flying the same stretch of space 40 times.

"I want you to take this up with the real power in town, the Sheriff Arccos. She is who you need to talk to about this, not me. I can only say how much I agree with your methods but can't allow them so many times. You'll have to work with her to figure out what system of punishment is going to be have the most efficacy. As for you and me," she said, "why don't we listen to some Nepleleslian music, huh?" She flipped a switch and then pressed a few buttons to get to the track she wanted and soon the bridge was filled with the melancholic tunes of a jazz band playing.

They sat listening for a few moments before Aashi asked, "Do you like music?"

The Vekimen listened to the music thinking about it. "I do. I have heard your music before, not this song though. They tend to have unique patters, but they all use the same general notes. We liked the idea of of what you call the eastern scales. This uses 14 notes put together. The Hrz range is nice, and we like your understanding of what you call octaves, but these are like nursery rhymes too us. Our music however just sounds like a buzzing too your kind. The note differences are so slight that often we find you can't properly pick up the differences" He explained, before hovering his hand over the controls. "I can demonstrate what I mean by your music being like nursery rhymes if you do not mind me turning it off for a minute" He asked.

Aashi hesitated a moment then switched the jazz as it piqued in tenure. Within an instant the bridge was silent.

Without skipping a beat, Uram picked up where the Jazz had left off. It wasn't the actual song, but the fact he was able to fill in for a full 4 piece ensemble continuing the smooth melodies of Jazz would probably be a surprise. The drums continued their natural swing, the snare just as sharp. The upright continuing its low thrumming with an all too realistic sounding trumpet holding the main focus. The vekimen went along like this, almost as if he were aimlessly singing along with a song he had heard thousands of times before, even getting bored enough to add some other instruments he had heard in the past. He even dropped the trumpet, playing a Jazz instrumental that would be fitting with some words behind it.

Aashi closed her eyes after a few moments of mild surprise and then leaned back and stretched her legs out in front of her, listening.

Uram kept it up for a little while, before finally letting it die off. "Unfortunately, we find it a little boring to replicate on our own. However, we do find Aethersperm entertaining to replicate. More so because of how fast it is, not because of how complex it is. Still simple, but even simple things can be fun if you make the not changes hard enough to make and force the performer so to speak to add in several complex layers" He said, blinking at the relaxing Captain. "Is everything alright Ma'am?"

"Mmmm," Aashi had mumbled as the Vekimen quit the sing songy show and then when asked if okay, she nodded, "Aethersperm doesn't go in me in the right spot, but what you just played there-" she said as she manned the controls again, switching off hyperspace fold drives and finding herself getting closer and closer to the planet. She could just barely make out the Necromancer and smiled, wondering if her friend was on board. Forgetting about the Vekimen for a moment, she began humming the same jazz ensemble and lowered them down onto the planet.

The Vekime waited in anticipation for Aashi to finish her sentence. When he felt enough time passed that she forgot, he blinked. "What about what I just played?"

'I think that it's wholly different from Auehersperm. Less punk and more prowess," she said. "So, Uram," let me see if we can't get you a good old welcome party."

Landing gear engaged, Aashi had them touch planet and she looked out to see if anyone was at the Osman City's Landing Fields.

Uram nodded. "Makes enough sense. I understand some people not liking some music. As for a welcome, we've already offloaded 10,000 Vekimen at least. I think a welcome is a little out of the question at this point. However, if you have access to hemosynth tech, I can send over data for an oral wash so I can remove this stupid respirator" He grumbled, fiddling with the device. "It's starting to get on my nerves..." He stated. He was well aware it was off topic completely, but his patience with it was growing thin.

"Hemosynth is all Uso," she said, "I wouldn't know anything about how to get that for you. Why don't we find her for you?" Aashi asked as she turned systems off.

Uram nodded. "Well, I will wait for that then. Once outside though, I will be taking this cursed contraption off so that I can finally breathe easy. These filters are much too basic to get a good breath out of," he muttered, standing up. "Well, that was certainly an enjoyable day worth of flying. Hope it didn't get to you too much," he said, waiting for Aashi to lead him off the ship.

Aashi stood and pushed her hand out in front of her, shaking the Vekimen Uram's hand and said, "It was more than enjoyable. I look forward to working with you further, as I hope you are with me."

Uram nodded, finding the handshake to be odd but fitting for the situation. He read it was an informal, yet somehow formal introductory action, or used as a sign of respect so he returned it as best her could. "Of course. I am delighted for the chance" He said, following Aashi out as she left the ship. The Vekimen who were on board had already filed out and into the hole which was by now stunningly deep.

"You're going to have to fill that back in, you know," Aashi said at the ship's entrance before removing her hand from her hip and turning around, going back into her new quarters aboard The Pumpkin Eater.

Uram looked at the hole, then at where Aashi stood before she had vanished into the quarters, shoulders slumping. "On my own" He muttered, sighing in defeat. "Well... May as well get to work" He grumbled, tearing the respirator off and slipping down the hole in hopes of finding other Vekimen and informing them to create a new entrance before he collapsed this one.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back