• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: Second Draconian War Act III: Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
JamesKorbin
(6/15/03 4:12 pm)
Act III: Negotiations Act III - Scene I: Storm Crows

Korbin was almost bored into a coma watching the dignitaries have their formal discussions at the Emerald Star Citadel. Thanks to GoldenGATE's translation programs, she was certainly present at the meeting, which gave him a way in. From his quarters aboard the Morningstar across the galaxy in the Crius district Korbin waited for the word to move his forces into active alert.

Due to the importance of this meeting, Korbin was broadcasting his hacked link to the other members of his fleet maneuver group. In their respective ships, the commanding officers of the 11th, 12th, and 13th fleets sat in silence and watched the events of the Draconian Senate unfold...

"I'm an Alkari Senator, and I think we should just stick our rear ends in the air and let the Jaaq'tah have their way with us..." Korbin said, in a shrill voice, moving his hand as if it were speaking in turn with the Alkari representative. He had been rather upset with the Alkari and Protoss disagreement, and was hoping some tragic fate of coincidence would befall these particular senators on their respective ways home.

A ping from the door proximity alert warned him that someone wanted entrance.

"Open." He said to the other side of the door. The door slid open with a gentle swish and Korbin's second, Richard Frost, walked in. He was glad that they replaced Drake, though he was sorry that anyone else had to work with the man. Frost, on the other hand, was someone worth having around.

"What's going on sir?" Frost asked as he stepped up to the monitor to watch the proceedings. He knew Korbin was watching without permission, but quite frankly was glad that someone in the Confederation was willing to do things their way in spite of the regulations and rules.

"The Alkari and Protoss want us to prove it..."

Frost sighed and reached into his pocket, pulling out a five DC credstick and handing it to Korbin.

"When you're right you're right."

"Yeah, well... oh.. here's the Protoss senator to tell us the scalies are worth saving..." They turned their attention to the senate meeting... as if just in time.

___

"Foolish human, you know not of what you speak!â€

Alexandre Card
(6/29/03 8:05 pm)
Act III, Scene 7: Second Thoughts. 3 Hours post-announcement of War.

Shadows danced lightly across the finely sculpted marble walls of Bervenia's Citadel. The pale strands of moonlight breaking through the balcony's window crept across the silent features of Alexandre Card as he satbefore the large monitor upon his desk. A troubled look nestled upon his typically light-hearted features. Fingertips folded across the line of his jaw as Alex leaned forward in thought.

"Tomorrow I'm going to give an order that may very well send millions of people to their death. Against an enemy I neither know, nor hate. Simply because we made the decision to ally ourselves with the NDI..."

"Having second thoughts, Alex?" The meoldic voice of Admiral Linsey Jensen broke the dull silence that had begun to creep over the room. The woman was leaning against the side of Card's desk, facing him. She was a sight to see, even in the dark. Long golden locks falling loosely over her shoulders, peircing blue eyes and a well-toned, well endowed body.

"Nope. I'm nothing if not loyal." Alex paused, offering a wink to his friend before continuing, "but... This alliance we're going against... Why? Yeah, they attacked the NDI. I'm sure they had their reasons, though. The NDI isn't perfect. And yet, here we are lunging into this headstrong without any consideration to how many living, breathing people will die as a result. How many Koqui citizens will be killed? And for what? We don't have any vendetta against them. They didn't attack us."

"What if they had?"

"That'd be different."

"Why is that, Alex?"

"Well, we wouldn't be blindly devoting our lives to someone else's cause."

"And the NDI?"

"What about them?"

"Would they be devoting their lives to someone else's cause?"

Alexandre glanced up, just now considering the ties of their alliance when reversed. "Heh. Thanks, Lin."

Linsey smiled softly, leaning forward to gently run her hands through Alexandre's thick cerulean locks, gently placing a kiss to his forhead before turning away and heading for the door. "Get some sleep, Alex. We've got a big day ahead of us, tomorrow. G'night."

Alex nodded softly, a gentle whisper escaping his lips. "G'night." Shortly after Linsey's departure, Card leaned forward, tapping a few keys, the monitor before him lighting up the room, casting shadows of his body against the pale walls. Upoin the screen, the form of Prime Minister Keiji Akari, settled in a rather awkward appearing chair.

"How's it goin' Alex?"

"Not so good. I'm doubting my actions. You know the effect that can have on things..."

"You'll do fine. How's Johnson?"

"He's still rogue, we're not going to re-initiate contact until the NDI does so with their vessels."

"Good call. If the NDI is in the wrong here, it'll give good PR coverage."

"...You act like PR means anything at all. We're far enough from home that this won't mean shit on your next election."

"I don't care about the elections - It's the relations with the rest of the governments out there I'm concerned with."

"Gotta love democracy, huh?"

"Yeah... So, how's things with Lin?"

"Meh - Nothing new. Rhiana might still be out there, Keiji. I'm not gonna betray her trust..."

"You're gonna die a virgin, Alex. But with hair like that, I guess we've always known that..."

"Heh, bite me."

"So, I guess you'll be needing some things on my end, eh?"

"Yeah. Regular supply dumps. We're at War now. We're constructing several lunar bases around Zerinthes IV right now. I'm also undergoing a new project to create an artifical planet on one of the gas giants not too far from here. It'll be mostly cosmetic, but be a good production planet."

"Sounds good. Don't step on any toes out there, though. Now isn't the time. Have you kept tabs on the Neo project, or the Honour Guard at all?"

"The Honour Guard and Defense Fleets are still working together, are they not? And the Neo-Project has been continued on Zerinthes, with the aid of the Eldar and Protoss."

"The Honour Guard has fractured off into several seperate military powers. You're technically the CNIC of twelve military factions, now."

"Great. Even more delegating of responsibilities on my part."

"Heh. Welcome to my World. Speaking of which, will you have Templeton read off the required War time supplies to me?"

"Yeah, they should be ready in about 12 hours time. I still need to account for the new fleets. We're going to lose our productivity once this whole thing gets underway. I'm thinking 25% atleast in the first few months. Substantial increases after that, depending on losses."

"We'll adjust accordingly."

"Sounds good. I'd feel a little safer out here with the eleventh en route, though..."

"They'll get there with the supplies."

"Thanks."

"Alright, Alex. Get some sleep. We'll speak later."

"G'night, man."

20 hours after the NDI announcement of War.

"Everything has been accounted for, the supplies will arrive from Koqui in 55 hours, approximately." Echo'd the voice of Admiral Goldberg.

Alex glanced up casually waving a hand in the man's general direction. "Alright. Any word from Johnson?"

"Nope. He is still rogue, but has no doubt hooked up with the NDI fleets by now."

"Alright. Have every other assembled fleet ready for combat in the next three days. Upgrade the System wide alert to level 2. Make an official announcement across all of Zerinthes local space."

"Yes, sir. As well, I've heard that the Eleventh will be moving in-system soon."

"That's right."

"Shall I account for the population increase?"

"Yes, get everything ready. Be prepared, though... Keiji is announcing things right about now. We're going to get a massive population in-flux in the next month from devoted citizens wanting to join the war effort."

"Will do, commander. Will we be in touch with the NDI to help out in that deperatment?"

"Bet your ass on it, Matthias."

Koqui Prime - Broad Cast from Prime Minister Akari.

The large frame of Keiji Akari stood firmly wedged behind a navy podium, decorated with various government related symbols. The crowd bustling silently awaiting his address to the people. "Less than 20 hours ago, the Nerimian Defense Initiative declared War upon the Jaaq'Taah Alliance."

There was a stagnant pause before the barrel-chested man continued with his speech. "As a result The Koqui Imperial Forces have officially declared a state of aggression with the Jaaq'Taah Alliance. It is asked that in this time of need, both for Koqui and our Nermian allies - The government that gave birth to what we now call home, that our citizens rise up to support their government, their allies and the rights we as a people believe in. We will overcome this strife together."

Admiral Princeps Thraven
(6/30/03 5:15 pm)
Act III, Scene 8: Cowardice Breeds Dissension Hall of the Republic, Ayenee City - Ayenee Prime.
Four hours after the Draconian declaration of War.

The large, domed building was filled with the hum of voices. Tiered seats rose from the ground upwards, ten tiers thus far, but with more planned. Each tier consisted of at least fifteen individual 'booths'. Each 'booth' would act as the speaking platform for the Senatorial from a given world, or sector. At present, none sat any further than the third tier, and most booths had at least one vacant slot dividing them.

The Hall of the Imperial Republic of Ayenee at present held no-where near as many Senators as that of the much larger Draconian League, but it did hold Senators - with a different title - and entire systems were still represented here; from the semi-mechanical representatives of Praxia, to the dark-skinned Sitter from Renns World. The quiet hum surrounded the central platform, currently occupied by Thraven, and his advisers,in the form of Suriel, and Senator Weston. The Hall now knew what had happened at the Draconian Senate - or as much as the NDI were willing to tell. and now it was up to them to decide what would happen next.

Thraven would have made the decision himself, but this was too large a choice for him, or even his War Council to make. This would, in some way, involve every planet which flew the banner of Ayenee, and so they must have their say. With a brief glance to his advisers - Suriel on his left and Weston on his right - Thraven touched a sensor pad on the display before him, and the platform rose gently, its Grav-Plates humming almost silently as they held it aloft. It was designed to raise much higher, but Thraven halted its ascent at little more than two metres.

"Sitters, as you all know, two hours ago, the Draconian League effectively declared itself at war with the Jaaq'Taah Alliance. Whilst we maintain no direct links with the Draconian League, we share a beneficial alliance with Nerima, head of its Confederacy." he paused for breath, turning to meet the intent gazes of the Sitters "With the Draconians decision of War, Nerima has been pulled into this - more precisely, they have launched themselves into it headlong. This leaves us with the unpleasant decision of where we stand in this". He took a half-step back, effectively opening the Senate for debate.

The Tirocean Sitter stood, and as he spoke, the same Vox-casters that had effortlessly filled the Hall with Thraven voice, carried his voice to the others "Is it true that NDI forces were despatched, even before the Declaration of War?"

Thraven nodded "It is true. But we have come to expect little more of our Nerimian allies". The Tiroceans had been almost totally isolated from any contact with the NDI until recently, and still knew little of them.

"That has no bearing on this. Surely there is no debate?" The dark-skinned Sitter from Renns World had risen to her feet. Lithe and graceful, she was a powerful woman, despite her looks "Our allies have been attacked. We have to act as they would were the circumstances reversed. We are bound to aid them"

A murmur rose around the Hall, but it was impossible to tell whether agreement or denial. Thraven had made the same point to the Council of War earlier.

"Sitter Orealis, although the skies above your world may be filled with warships, the same cannot be said for all of us" Now the Sitter for the Mora system stood. He turned his gaze from the Renns World booth to Thraven "The pertinent question here is whether we can actually afford to aid them. They may be our allies, but what good is that if we are left so weakened by helping them, that we leave ourselves open to attack?" he looked to the other booths "We all know that there are many systems who would dearly like to strike at one or another of us"

Thraven moved slightly forward "I understand your concern, but I can assure you that any aid we gave would never leave us so depleted as to be defenceless"

"We were not defenceless when the Tyranids came, nor the Chaos forces. Yet they still destroyed nearly half the population of theis, the capital world of the Republic" snapped Moras Sitter.

"You know as well as the Admiral that we are in a much stronger position than we ever were then" Orealis' turned a hard-eyed gaze on the shorter man across the Hall from her "Were the situation to re-occur, we would stand united as never before." She turned to Thraven "Admiral, what is the current status of our Defence Forces?"

Thraven quickly tapped a series of commands on his panel, and the relevant figures were displayed on his screen "The Space Coalition is at its largest since well before the First War. We have four fully operational fleets at present, with more under construction. Ground Forces are currently at 95% percent of optimum, and constantly increasing. The Space Troop Corp. is at capacity, and turning away applicants due to lack of funding" A few more keystrokes, and the data flashed onto the screens of all the Sitters.

"Funding which would no doubt become available, were we to join with the League, and declare ourselves at war?" That from the Moran Sitter, whom Thraven was already taking a dislike to "Of course Admiral, allow me to explain..."

And so the debating had begun. Four hours after entering the Hall, Thraven left, feeling tired, and a little beaten. Despite his arguements, and those of several others, the Hall had decided that direct military intervention was inadvisable at this time. thraven sighed softly. A part of him was happy in their decision - no more killing, no more pointless destruction - but another part of him felt awful; as he, and a great many of the Imperial officers saw it, they were duty-bound to aid those with whom they had allied themselves. Doing this, they were betraying them, and sullying their own honour. But it seemed many of the Sitters cared not for honour, or duty.

It was with feelings of regret that Thraven again hailed the NDI:

"NDI Command. This is Thraven. The Imperial Republic of Ayenee regrets that it will pledge no military support at this time. It is the decision of the Hall that we will aid you in any way you need as far as logistics and support are concerned, and you are free to use our bases and ports, as the allies you are. Thraven out."

Thraven paused for a moment, then keyed in a channel he hadn't thought to use again. One he wasn't sure he should be using no. He could see thet threat posed by this war. If they remained aside, either side might take it into their heads to strike at them as potential enemies. But the Hall would not see it.

He activated the channel, and secured it through his personal terminal, and prepared himself. The channel was an older one, but one that Thraven had hurled defiance down often enough - it had once connected to Cameron Blackblade.

"Admiral Blackblade - of that is the rank you hold still - this is Admiral Thraven. We may not have seen 'eye-to-eye' in the past, but now I feel is the time for those differences to be laid aside. You are about to undertake a great struggle" if this was not the turmoil Suriel had forseen, then nothing would be "And I for one believe that we should aid you, despite the wishes of the hall. If you recieve this, then contact me, and me alone. Thraven out"

Mobile Space Command
(7/2/03 1:32 pm)
Act III Scene IX Act III Scene IX

Incident: +42 Hours
Near the Border of Draconian Space

"...and I would like to let our presence be known to the NDI, and also that we offer any assistance that we may give in upholding peace in the galaxies.â€

JamesKorbin
(9/1/03 9:31 pm)
Re: Act III, Scene 16: Mount Tension, the Inscalable Following the lead of the KIF infront of them, the 3rd Maneuver group, consisting of the 3rd, 11th, 12th, and 13th fleets, approached the Tienshinhan battlestation. During the approach, Korbin had gathered what data about the Jaaq'tah that was both relevant in the warscale, and not so important as to be classified. He also added in what knowledge he could, a sort of personalized view on the alien races involved.

A chime at his door. He gave a silent wave and the door opened, letting in another man of about Korbin's height with a very dense build.

"Padilla, wonderful to see you back so soon."

"Hola, Sir. All is as expected. It appears you were correct. They did not seem to pick up on the jumps, cold or hot. It is deffinately a route worth further investigation, though I wouldn't commit to it in battle just yet."

"Absolutly. Thank you, Lieutenant. Further debriefing will occur as normal."

"Aye, sir. Before I go, though, Wantanabe wanted to know whether the release will hold to the original schedule."

"For now, yes. I'll let you know if it changes. Until then, Echo Mirage is the appropriate procedure plan."

"Aye, sir." And with that, the large man left.

Almost simultaneously, a sound in Korbin's ear alerted him to the need for his presence on the Bridge. He sighed and grabbed the disc.

At the bridge, he took his seat as they began their approach vector to the Tienshinhan BattleStation.

"Sir, Logistics is sending and Update. Undisclosed units are being moved in to execute plan Ruby Dragon. We're to follow up at Tau Ceti when instructed. Until then, we remain at ready-status."

Korbin frowned and sighed. The boys and girls of his fleets could have used a day or two of rest.

"Open a com to KIF station Tienshinhan."

A moment later, the response came "Opened, sir."

"Station Tienshinhan, this is Admiral James Korbin of the 3rd Nermian Naval Fleet. We are on an approach vector that puts us at your 80, 154 spinward. Requesting permission to dock."

JamesKorbin
(9/3/03 3:38 pm)
Act III, Scene 17: Comittment At the time Korbin was led in, the small conference room was seemingly empty, save for the table and the sparse decorations the KIF saw fit to have in a war room; mostly consisting of territorial maps and familiar ship designs. He stood at rest at the side of the table, awaiting the Grand-Admiral Juri Danilov who would enter only moments after Korbin had been led to the room. A fairly burly man, dressed in a fine navy uniform, thick braided hair dangling all about his face and upper body. He would step to Korbin immediately, making eye contact and offering a soft smile. Right hand extending to shake.

"Welcome to Zerinthes."

Korbin, conversely, stood dressed rather like a civilian, in a pair of jeans, biker boots, and a leather jacket, the perfect symbol of disregard for appearance standards. Korbin took the mans shake, and returned the smile.

"Thank you for having us, Grand-Admiral. I regret that we won't be able to stay terribly long, but things as they are, I'm sure you understand. As it is, there are a few things of related matters that I thought appropriate to be shared with you. Normally, I'm sure you're aware, the NDI isn't fond of sharing information, but I believe in this case that this information is better used when known." He pulled a disc from his jacket and handed it to the man.

"On the way, your man Johnson mentioned that he wasn't aware of what we were going up against. I thought if this was a common trait of your men, that perhaps you'd like to have some information to give them. This is hardly everything you need to know, but it is fairly comprehensible and it's all I have the clearance to share.

Danilov nodded taking the disc and handing it to a guard that had been standing in the doorway. He would quickly exit soon after, no doubt, to analyze and pass on the information on the disc. Danilov motioned toward the table and chair, and Korbin took a seat. Danilov sat himself across from the Nermian.

"Thank you, we have been very curious as to what all of this was about. This should help our efforts quite a bit, I imagine." Danilov briefly nodded before continuing. "So, tell me: How long exactly do you plan to stay aboard with us?"

Korbin nodded slightly, "Less than a day, unfortunately. Recent developments in Tau Ceti require our fleets to be at ready, and, as much as I'd like to give my crew a few days off, we can't afford to have our pants around our ankles when the opportunity to press the situation over there presents itself."

"I see." Danilov took this moment to briefly turn away from Korbin and toward a young officer who had taken the position of the guard sent off with the disc. "Have word that all of the NDI vessels are to be resupplied to the best of our ability immediately, top priority. As well, contact Matthis and tell him to go ahead with preparations." Turning back to Korbin, Juri would offer a gentle nod of his head before standing and moving to a nearby liquor cabinet withdrawing a bottle of Vodka and two small shot-glasses. Tilting the bottle in Korbin's direction, as if to question if he wanted some, he inquired. "So, what is the current plan of action?"

Korbin nodded to the bottle, and shrugged slightly as he leaned back in the chair. "Well, as much as I can tell you, we're going to do some clean-up work in the Tau Ceti district. I'm not sure if the plan includes complete eradication of all Jaaq'tah forces in the area, but that's certainly what I'll be aiming for."

Danilov gave a wide smile, the less than pleasant smile of a man who hadn't taken proper hygiene to heart. Filling the two glasses to the rim, he placed one before Korbin, on the table before tilting the other one in Korbin's direction. A thick Russian accent finding his words this time. "I like the way you think, Comrade." With that, he would tilt the glass back, gulping down the contents. Taking a deep breath afterward, he relished in the sting of the alcohol for only a moment before a raspy voice added with a shake of his head. "The KIF is able to commit three fleets to this cause at this time. They should be prepared within the hour. I trust this is to your satisfaction?"

Korbin nodded with a look of approval before taking the shot and placing the glass down. He'd spent enough time with Ruzhyo to know how to drink like a Russian, in which the basic principle was to not stop. "Sir, that is by far and large more than I had expected at all."

Danilov nodded in agreement to that. It was, indeed, quite impressive that they had managed to procure such a force. Filling the glasses once more, he would tilt back another shot before the conversation continued on his end.

"Yes, we're rather lucky. We had begun a military build up on Zerinthes just before this all began. We had intended to pull out, leaving colonial defenses. It seems that has all changed, though, and most of it to the lesser fortunes. The fleets we'll be sending along are not the most experienced, but have solid commanders and I have absolute faith in them. You will most likely be dealing with Johnson for the majority of the operation. Unfortunately, I have other matters to attend to, or I would be along side as well."

"Unsderstandable,â€

Derran Tyler
CINC-NDI
(10/19/03 3:04 pm)
Zero Hour Red Star Citadel – Nerimian Confederation

To say that the special operations/intelligence divisions of the Nerimian Defense Initiative were in a frantic state was an understatement.

Nearly every analyst, field spook, and deep cover operative was in play at this very moment, all of them gathering or processing intelligence data for the upcoming operation in Tau Ceti. What remote sensor drones had told them thus far was that Tau Ceti was so heavily fortified that current estimates put allied casualties in excess of seventy-five percent. This was simply unacceptable to the High Command, who knew they needed not only a victory in Tau Ceti, but a decisive one to keep the momentum going.

They had put their hopes on a largely untested fleet admiral by the name of James Alexander Korbin, the protégé of the strategic military director, Kage Xeraux. Korbin was a maverick and already wasn't winning fans in the higher echelons of the CONSTRACOM, but the Third Fleet was one of their most powerful weapons.

Many had clamored for the mighty Fifth to take the reigns of this operation, but Rakuseki and the CONSTRACOM were saving their most potent force for the drive to Sssla once Tau Ceti had fallen into allied hands. Admiral Ruzhyó waited patiently to watch to see if the young maverick could live up to the hyperbole surrounding him. To the inebriated Russian, it mattered none.

Defense Minister Cameron Blackblade had been besieged by the press for hours on end with reporters asking him anything and everything pertaining to the war – some were even zealous enough to ask what the first target would be. Blackblade worked the press like a pro, dodging questions as only a trained politician could. With every question, he reasserted the need for solidarity in these times of war, squelching the critics of the Confederation's continued policy of peace through overwhelming strength.

Elsewhere, the Draconian Allied Command Authority had set their combined military machines into motion all at once, with key Vaishan, Altaran, and Hushain fleets forming up to support the invasion forces and to seal off possible points of counterattack. Where NDI forces had moved up to form the spearhead of the allied assault, the 104th and 145th Draconian Navies moved in to fill in the gaps, guarding the Cygni and Crius military districts. Gr'andal ground legions began to board their mammoth Star Cruisers, ready to show their mighty prowess in the theater of ground combat once space superiority was achieved.

For the moment, the Draconian Alliance's war machine was running like clockwork. But all of this had been planned for and drilled into the minds of the military forces for years. Once initial contact with the enemy was made, all bets were off and the elaborate military plans devised in the halls of the Draconian Senate would soon be discarded as unworkable.

Such was the madness of warfare. Even in the interstellar age, things remained chaotic.

He could feel the excitement in his bones. It was like the calm before the storm, when you knew something was going to happen, but not when. It was what he had trained for since birth; it was what he essentially lived for. The exhilaration of conflict was something that never got old with Cameron Blackblade, and despite the dire situation his nation was in, he couldn't help but feel energized.

Cameron's dark eyes looked at the large holographic projection for what seemed like hours. The emblems showing a unit's relative readiness, status, and overall objective had all seemed to bleed into one large mesh. It really meant nothing to Cameron, because all eyes were truly upon Korbin's massive naval maneuver group preparing to launch an assault on Tau Ceti.

Then a voice broke Cameron's concentration. Cameron slowly turned his head to the left, a glimpse of Alicia standing in the doorway holding a data board.

"Central Intelligence now estimates enemy forces to be in excess of one-hundred thousand warships,â€

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back