Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

ACV-02 'Crazy Horse'

Is it appropriate to name a submission after a real-life historical figure? How would the namers in the SARPiverse come up with that name?

Nashoba said:
FYI Zen Arms is not a Faction, its a corporation.

I think he meant it for Zen Arms to export.

Wes said:
Is it appropriate to name a submission after a real-life historical figure? How would the namers in the SARPiverse come up with that name?

We name things after real world mythological figures, and flora all the time on here. And it has never been questioned.

I remain firmly against naming Star Army vehicles after real-life people.

While we do use common Japanese and even Norse terms (cities, towns, and plants etc) to add flavor, a Native American Historical figure does not fit within that scope. I have to agree in this case that the name needs to be changed.

Edited to 'Alligator', though I'd like to point out you did name a battleship after it's real life counter part....

First, the Yamato was an existing ship, that was upgraded. Second it was a Japanese ship, named after a Japanese Prefecture. Not a historic person whom SARP would have no reference to. Most of my American Indian friends would find the use of this figure for something like SARP to be degrading to his memory.

It needs to be moved and the name need changing in the first paragraph. The cost is missing.

So let me get this straight. We can name things after ships (including historical ships), mythological figures, flowers, towns, cities and what not. But the only thing barred are historical figures? How does this differ from the above exactly "flavor" wise? Because here I thought all names added variety and "flavor" to submissions if they are within reason. If this is a personal preference thing I'd like to know. Or is it a copyright issue? Because I'm not sure if that is copyrighted.

I'm just curious so I know for the future and what to avoid. :|

It's a matter of, at least, political sensitivity. In the states, the use of American Indian names for things, especially things that have nothing to do with First Nation culture, is considered a faux pas at best, and extremely hurtful at worst. Hence why many schools have had to drop American Indian-related mascots and names.

Other ethnicities might think they're being harmless or even honorable when naming themselves the Braves or the Indians. First Nation peoples disagree. A lot.

Are there other instances on SARP where we've named things after historical figures? I can't name any. Mythological figures, flowers, towns, cities and other things that no one is sensitive to seems fine, but historical figures — naming some ship class "Mormon" for instance — would go over just as badly as this one did.

Given I had to hunt through the thread for the right link, you may want to put the right link in the main OP now.

Otherwise, I do believe that was one of the only real issues here. If no one brings up a concern within the next few days (three days at most) then I'll post my ruling.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back