Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Aetheric use for civilian tasks?

OsakanOne

Inactive Member
Retired Member
Hi, I'm just curious: does aether pass directly through whatever its used on or get absorbed at some point? I'm pondering the possibility of an aetheric milling system for various blocks of materials to produce high precision parts.

If its not possible to stop it from passing through something, is there a way to very precisely control the life-time of the shot rendered and the level of 'damage' it would render against a material?

For those unfamiliar with milling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsmiIeAkE-o

Its a fairly critical process for the production of most high precision machine parts and the heart of just about any decent machine-shop.

I've always assumed that it was possible, and have been operating under the impression that Origin does this quite regularly.

I even purchased several hulks of Zesuaium-hulled ships under this premise because I wanted the material to produce small high-precision parts for limited-run objects.

I was always under the impression that zesu can't be reshaped at all once it has been formed. You're stuck with the shape it's in.

Aether, on the other hand, I'm not sure about. I'm fairly certain you can, otherwise things like an Aether SMG wouldn't be possible, it would all be beam tech.

Zesu cannot be reshaped, this is true. However, Aether is capable of negating Zesuaium, and using it for milling purposes would be similar to milling something from billet- that is, taking material off of a solid block until you have your desired shape.

If the corporation had a special status with the government, yes.

Just because its illegal doesn't mean its going to stop a private interest that's really really interested in something. They just have to keep their work away from prying eyes.

That's how technology works irl.

ai1.kym_cdn.com_entries_icons_original_000_002_686_Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

RPG-D RPGfix
Back