• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Aomori Kanaye

Kanaye

Inactive Member
Name: Aomori Kanaye

General Information
Species: Yamataian (Previously Geshrin)

Family:
Father: Aomori Akira (Deceased)
Mother: Aomori-noh-Minowara Nyoko (Deceased)
Eldest Brother: Aomori Taro (Deceased)
Elder Brother: Aomori Tama (Deceased)

Faction: Star Army of Yamatai
Current Assignment:

Physical Characteristics
Height: 6'1â€

Power...armor. Secondly, his skills need a definate tone down. We're at jesus level 2 here. Thirdly, being an orphan is a huge dance into the realm of trite themes around here. Take another pass at him, 'n? ^^

Oh! Don't forget your contact info in the In&Out forum!

Edit: Oh yes, and umm..there is no Japan o.o;

Well just thought I'd throw a point in as Rei was pointing out.

Physical:...He practiced periodically piloting his power arm both powered down and fully powered in various environments.

As far as I know, Yamataians are not know for their strength. Judging by your character's height (6' 1") he would be piloting a Super Phalanx. Now the power armor weights rough 260 pounds. I'm not too sure how someone would work with that much dead weight on their body.

But I'm not sure what you meant by practicing piloting. If you meant trying to perform certain techniques with the armor's power disengaged I would say no way.

And I agree that the orphen deal is sorely out done, as with Rei.

Otherwise it look well thought out. Welcome to Star Army.

Ok ok Rei...let's see here. 1)About the skills, could you be a bit more specific? I picked 7 as was instructed, and all of them basically lie in or right around the same areas. So he's not "well spread out". 2)I see where your going about the orphan thing, but I don't agree. And he's not technically an 'orphan' persay, he was well on his way out of the family household by the time his father and brother died. 3) Thanks for the point out about the Japan part. That was a mistake, it was used as an early kind of..."reference point"...I had meant to change it before posting.

Now Magnus...1) Ah...I understand about the power armor bit now. Well...honestly I kind of jipped that idea off someone else. o.o; Ahem... 2)The only power armors that wouldn't be able to accomodate him because of his stature are the Mindy and the Kylie, also they're the only power armors that even have a said height maximum in their descriptions. Once more...I see where your going with the power armor and weight issues...a part unthought out by me. 3)
But I'm not sure what you meant by practicing piloting. If you meant trying to perform certain techniques with the armor's power disengaged I would say no way.
Not at all what I meant...I'm afraid I can't put it any simpler than "practicing piloting his power armor". And finally...thanks for the welcome.

Maybe I should wipe the part about being Yamataian? Just have him be straight Geshrin?

Having a Yamataian is not a bad thing. I'm not going to discuss the other specifics of your character since others have already made mention of a few elements, but selecting the Yamataian race over Geshrin is generally encouraged by the setting (additionally, if your character wanted to be a Kylie pilot, there's every chance he could have chosen to have his new body be of a stature that would fit in a Kylie).

There aren't enough of them around anyways. You can probably work some other way of integrating it, I'm sure, if you really want to be one.

It is quite good but pease do not be an orphan, by that we mean your parents are dead, there are so many of them it has become a cliche.

Well considering the "less-than-peaceful" history, orphan's make sense, and PNUgen (oops did I say that? ^.~) wiped out a majority of the humanrace to establish the superiority of Nekos. XP

Fair enough, one more thing is that withj a history that long you are going to get some stick from some people, I don't care either way but some people will tell you to shorten it.

Okay, I took the time to look over the story and I think I can give out a few pertinent pointers that you could work on :

First of all, congrats for managing to decently follow the CCG. It's often overlooked, but I'm sure the effort is appreciated.

Faction: Star Army of Yamatai

Physical Characteristics
Height: 6'1â€

I didn't think the history was bad, and I don't think people should be pushed to drop "excess details" from their character histories. There are some matters that do need correction, though, such as the issues with the timeline in regards to when power armors became available, and the fact that there's no way his father could have trained him to the pilot power armors he used at work.

Also, why do you keep putting "arm" instead of "armor?"

Also, I don't have a problem with a photographic memory, since you could alway look up what he saw in the RP by reading past transcripts.

We have this problem with stereotypical first characters. Here are the symptoms, so you know what to avoid:
  • Character is human, but not (some sort of augmentations)
  • Character is a "power armor pilot" (as opposed to just "pilot" or "technical sentry/starship engineer"). Any neko, for example, can pilot a Mindy armor (or learn in minutes).
  • Character's relatives are all dead.
  • Character's supposedly an awesome fighter with great skill (but character is just out of training or has never been in an RP battle)
  • Character has a scar, often when they shouldn't (nekos, Yamataians)
  • Character has cybernetics rather than organics but is not Nepleslian and claims it was done to fix an injury, although YSE medical technology could much more easily fix his body.
  • Character is stated as intelligent, yet his bio is full of spelling, grammar, and word usage errors.
  • Character is a "loner" type
  • Character is supposedly a skilled computer hacker
  • Character is self-taught but has awesome skills
  • Timeline inconsistancies
  • Short personality description
  • Short, effortless physical description
  • Info in the wrong section (personality is full of history, physical description is full of items, not about the character himself, etc.)

Wes there isn't anything wrong with being a "loner" or being a power armor pilot (The reasoning is that everything seems to currently center onthe armor pilots and nobody else. Nobody wants to be a background character all the time which is why you don't see many engineers, medics, tech sentries. Maybe if a ship in play focused more on the crew and their lives you might find those becoming more popular)

Tyler said:
Wes there isn't anything wrong with being a "loner" or being a power armor pilot (The reasoning is that everything seems to currently center onthe armor pilots and nobody else. Nobody wants to be a background character all the time which is why you don't see many engineers, medics, tech sentries. Maybe if a ship in play focused more on the crew and their lives you might find those becoming more popular)
Go back and read the above post before reply to it, Tyler. It says stereotypical first characters, not that being a loner is wrong.

Also, there is no longer an occupation in the Star Army for JUST piloting power armors, so "Power Armor Pilots" aren't wanted for NEW characters.
1. Cook
2. Pilot
3. Science / Medical
4. Starship Bridge Crewman
5. Starship Engineer
6. Strategist / Intelligence
7. Planetary Soldiers

Wes said:
Also, there is no longer an occupation in the Star Army for JUST piloting power armors, so "Power Armor Pilots" aren't wanted for NEW characters.

o_O WHOOPS!

*goes correct Kotori's sheet*

Well...my head is swooning with bright colors and new ideas after reading everything that has been said. x.X; Well, where to start? I think you guys have brought be to your level on the heighth issue by this point...In that area I guess I got a little TOO by the book, for in the CCG it states that Yamataians are a new race, modeled after...blah blah blah...anyhow it says to check out the Geshrins, so I did, and lo and behold it gives me the average height for my character as 6'1" o.o But alas, it must be dealt with.

Well, with the distinguishing characteristics it was a bit hard only having a year old body <_<; But...I suppose I could conjur something up. Military nut left and right! Is he really that bad? o_O

I didn't think the history was bad, and I don't think people should be pushed to drop "excess details" from their character histories...

I think I'm gonna go with Wes on this one. Though I am following you on the history shortening and what not. I suppose I'll shorten some things a little, but nothing too big.

I find the bit about both elder brother and father leaving utterly irresponsible on the father's part...

Irresponsible in a sense, but not terrible. Kanaye was well into maturity and what not by that time, the matters of the fathers friend is just there because Kanaye was underaged, just to make it seem a bit more realistic.

In any case, the part about him remembering his mother's words is, once again, far-fetched, considering it's a memory he would have had since before his 5 years old?

With the mothers words about school and what not, I actually wanted to put in that his father told him about that or something, but I guess I was trying to skip details in the wrong places. u.u

You have to be pretty lame to serve the SA for two years and not have a better rank than soldier 3rd-class.

Heh heh...maybe he is lame? Joking. Well, I ran into trouble around that part. I agree being in the SA for two years and still being Santô Hei is a bit sad...but I couldn't really find anything to close the gaps, "tie up loose ends". Military nut again. o.o

Okay, THAT I don't swallow. As much a military nut as your character could have had been, the part about father and older brother training him with power armor is totally ludicrous. I'll tell you why : power armors belong to the star army and are not given to individuals... your character really couldn't have gotten his hand on one before his army training, really.

Once again, I was kind of aiming in a different direction with the power armor thing. I think I wanted more of a..."taught him everything they knew about power armors". Available after YE 23 you say? That part I must have overlooked somewhere, thanks for pointing it out.

Is he good at power armors or starships? Basics for starships is starship operations. Try to single out his center of interest. I think it's too broad.

Well...power armors I say! Down with the monopoliptic starships! o.o! Yeah, using the power armors powered down was an ill thought out idea on my part.

Furthermore, that's a LOT of stuff to cram into your star army traing.I didn't really want all that stuff to be part of his military training.

Notice I said during and previous, I meant that they were things that he took part in throughout school, and on some of his freetime during training. I'll clarify that a bit.

Cultural history as a skill though implies that he's trained as an historian, and that he could teach it and stuff...
He doesn't have to be a trained professional to have knowledge of cultural study. It just may as well have been a class that he took during college and picked up on.

Yes, all out indeed there Kotori... x.x I understand you just mean to help, and you have. Thanks.

Also, why do you keep putting "arm" instead of "armor?"

Also, I don't have a problem with a photographic memory, since you could alway look up what he saw in the RP by reading past transcripts.

Ah...welll the "arm" instead of "armor" was a mistake the whole way through. I guess I was just hearing it as "arm" in my head as I was typing. o.o; ~Voices...~ Well...I didn't mean him to really have a photographic memory, which is why I said "nearly" photographic, as in long-term maybe? Thanks for all your view points.

P.S.
Once more...finally, I would like to state that Kanaye is not an orphan. Like I already said twice before, he was already mature and reaching 'adulthood' by the time his father and brother left. The issue with the fathers friend was only a precautionary, legal matter.[/quote]

If no-one else has commented, you should also post your contact details in the relevant thread. Check out the 'In and Out' forum. Might be nice for an introduction post telling us a little about yourself as well.

I do like the fact that you researched the Star Army history, also the detailed history is quite different, and if I am not mistaken then you have not put things in your biography that could be Rp'd out.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back