• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Apparently I have to get this approved.

I think the reason you're being asked to get this approved, is you are using the General Melee Weapon rules, to make what is essentially a PA Weapon. And as a PA weapon it would need to be approved, have the damage listed, and a drawing made of it.

Nashoba said:
I think the reason you're being asked to get this approved, is you are using the General Melee Weapon rules, to make what is essentially a PA Weapon. And as a PA weapon it would need to be approved, have the damage listed, and a drawing made of it.

The Melee weapons rules do infact have provisions for making PA-Scale melee weaponry.

But that was a weapon meant for mass production on a large scale, not a one-off custom made weapon.

Does not matter, because without it being properly documented and approved. The details are needed so that both the player and GM have a clear understanding of what the weapon can do damage wise.

Also where did he get this sword made? We were only on Chiharu for a little more than a day. The last we saw your character he was out shopping for food for a recipe, not a sword.

If I may:

I don't see Micheal having any problem accessing fabrication facilities in Chiharu no Iori in order to order a massive molecular-knit sword. I expect the price would be steep due to it being a custom order to devote some starbase-resources in making a metal blade with much tighter molecular bonds.

I know we have a sword-making company now that's Nashoba's creation, but given past precedent, I don't see why quantum computers, a databank full of templates ready for replication, and the nodal system could not achieve that much.

I do, however, have some points up for contention.

Nerimium is not the kind of material you'd find on a Star Army starbase in any great abundance, and if they had a some, they probably would not offer it off to 'a mere infantryman'. There are likely better uses to be made of the exotic material if they keep any around. A heavy molecularly-reinforced durandium blade is probably a more feasible starting point for you (and yes, it'll deteriorate after use - it'll probably only be good for one fight).

'Power blades' and 'Flow shields' aren't the kind of technology you're bound to see much off in KFY-dominated facilities. Their energy-swords are aether projected out and they have more in common with a flamethrower or a plasma torch, meaning shield capabilities are about nil. It's not likely you can have the above constructed in a mere day in the setting you presently are in.

My opinion is that this is kind of too little too late. I suggest that Micheal fabricate a molecular-knit durandium greatsword. I suggest you go back to your post introducing it and tone down the implied awesomeness and make this a "this'll do until I get better" weapon. Then, I suggest you have your character ICly make a custom order to manufacturers much more likely to provide the 'awesome custom sword' you desire and pick it up by your next mission.

...or, you could just grab the W2900 Aether Saber-Rifle, which does most of what you want it to do anyways: chop stuff so well it'd make Squall Leonhart go green with envy.

Another caution: even if you do complete the weapon, plan for it to be disposable. If the sword has this power field to protect it, that's swell, but the power field's job will be much more to protect the wielder as he parries a fatal strike (from another energy sword) and not to protect the blade (and this applies even to zesuaium weapons). Such a sword is not likely to survive long if put to heavy use: you may ICly want to tone down the hyperbole behind "Due Mani" in light of that.

It's a tool, and a tool that's bound to break. You're probably better off buying multiple lesser swords you won't mind losing.

I don't really have an issue with the sword being made...

However, I serious question the usefulness of a 3.5 meter (11.4 foot), 45 kg (99 pounds) sword. What's the point?

On starships, it's bigger than most interior compartments are tall or wide, so it can't even be swung most of the time. In space, melee weapons are utterly pointless because everyone most combat is beyond visual range. That leaves planetary use...even there, swinging a sword that weighs as much as a Nekovalkyrja would be very unwieldy and no matter how strong you are, you still have inertia to deal with.

So basically, I hereby APPROVE your totally ineffective weapon. Maybe it can be made into a decorative display above one end of the power armor bay or something.

Wes is right. My metric was somewhat off, so I ended up making the blade bigger and heavier and longer than what I had intended. Reduced the length to 234cm, and the weight to 7.2 kilograms

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…