• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Are Freespacers weak against magnets?

Maybe. I know if they have metallic cybernetic parts, then high-powered magnets would affect them more.

Guys, Freespacers live exclusively in space, On would hazard that they've been around magnetic fields and such to allow a tolerance to the waveform.

Magnetic weapons in extreme cases could possibly cause mild damage to metallic component (metal fatigue), or partially disrupt electronics. But because the Freespacers are adapted to survive in high EM situations, they tend to have hyper-redundant or shielded electronics. And this wouldn't be effective on a 'Spacer that doesn't have that many cybernetic implants one them. Type 4 and Automata might have more trouble, but I guess that comes with the cybernetic bodies, doesn't it?

I think it would have about the same effect on most Nepleslians, only a little less violent. On Nepleslia, someone shooting magnetic beams would probably just get his ass kicked, or riddled with bullets.

The magnet gun can also repel metals so it would work against bullets,main problem:you can only aim the magnet gun at one location,and with bullets coming from all sides,better make that a magnetic force field(unless the bullets are made from non-metals)

PS:I typed this before leaving to college so this is my last post.see ya at my sem. break. :D

I have college so I can't see you guys until november so, are freespacers weak aganst magnets?
Yes, it's super effective. What do you think this is, pokemon?

The magnet gun can also repel metals
How the hell does it to do that? I mean, it's a huge urban myth that all metal is actually magnetic - It has one hell of a lot to do with the count of electrons in the outer-shell of a given structure and some other nucleonic stuff I'm too tired to yabber about right now.

Unless you're exploiting the Nuclear Strong force - Then you've basically got yourself a gravity gun that is more likely to lift someone's skull right out of their head than to lift their entire body.

Thank you Oskan one! *Cheers the man on!*. Repelling force, in magnitisim's case, would mean somehow applying a uniform charge to the iron so that it was all charged the same, negative or positive. Otherwise, the iron just realigns and keeps on coming, likely faster. And not all metals are magnetic. I COULD just shoot you with copper, silver, or gold. Or lead. or Titanium. Or many others. Also, Electric repelling/attraction would work much better, either way. First you ionize your target, then you ionize the weapon in the opposite direction. Problem with it is it would be blocked, easily, by atmosphere.

Also: There are no moni-pole magnets.

Freespacer have lived for hundred of years in space, in conditions of high pollution, high radiation and high EM fields.
I think they're about as vulnerable as magnetic fields as anyone with cybernetic implants. Possibly less, since they're subject to much harsher conditions than what an average, say, Nepleslian, is expected to withstand in the course of his life.

I imagine that they mostly use non-magnetic metals.

Why the need for special weapons? Freespacers aren't vulnerable to magnets, but they're vulnerable to bullets like everyone else.

Not sure what I was expecting when I decided to finally crack this thread open. I'd seen it so many times, but I really hadn't expected to find people trying to use magnets against Organic (I assume. If it's the Automata or whatever, then I guess I can see where it came from... though it still seems odd) Freespacers. I mean, they're already running on radiation, so wouldn't a better method of fighting them be to create some sort of anti-radiation spray/weapon? I feel like starving them/sucking/neutralizing those radioactive isotopes and junk would probably be a feasible method of weapon against them... though why try and use something that doesn't work over just blowing them up? Freespacers blow up just like the rest, as pointed out. Practicality versus specialization.

I'm... pretty sure that depriving Freespacers of radiation wouldn't disable them any faster than actually starving them. Magnets are unlikely to work against light cybernetics, since they tend to be made out of materials like titanium, copper, gold, and maybe even literal chromium. Heavy stuff might include more steel and so on.

Magnets are dangerous to magnetic storage, but there's better ways to store data in the space future (and they'd need them, since cosmic rays are a problem, too.) Organic Freespacers are still human, poison will work (and biological weapons will work absurdly well if they can be caught without protective gear.)

The real danger of magnets would be induction currents. ...and I don't know much about that topic.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back