Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Are You Still Running Windows 10?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
I was recently reminded that support for Windows 10 ends on October 14, 2024, which is coming up in (as of this post) just 2 1/2 months from now.

I read this article which is a good one: When Windows 10 support runs out, you have 5 options but only 2 are worth considering

I saw that by changing a registry value I might be able to get one of the ones I have to upgrade to Windows 11 but I have to try it first and see if it works. It's frustrating because the Windows 10 computer I have is a gaming laptop I paid a lot of money for back in the in day and it still works pretty decent and I use it for SARP sometimes (though I'm mainly moved to a newer computer). I hate getting rid of technology that still works, to be honest. It's so wasteful, and if it doesn't work, I always want to fix it and make it work again, haha. Like...even if I had my dad's old Commodore 128C in my house I'd still keep it and use it because they're awesome.

Do you still have computers running in your house that are on Windows 10? Ones you probably can't update because they don't meet the hardware requirements for Windows 11? What do you plan to do with them? I guess we each need up come up with a plan. So, are you going to dispose of them, risk them running, pay for some sort of update service?

"This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run windows 11"

1722374034215.webp

I've only heard bad things about W11. Typical corpo move to force people into a buggy and poorly maintained mess of surveillance equipment, force AI tools, forced lack of propriety options, and sketchy features it forces on you that turns it from your computer into the John Deere school of You might have bought it but it belongs to US now and we can/will brick it if we want to for petty reasons.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back