• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Art help & advice wanted!

I'm having some trouble cleaning up my sketches and I'd like to hear some of the techniques you guys like to use.

Leutre says if I blur a sketch, I should see the line-art and how everything would come together but I'm just not seeing it. Leu, could you post an example of this?

I'd also really like some tips for mixing realistic skin-colors and techniques for shading that create realistic looking materials (for example, latex, leather, wool and metal are four I'm having trouble with).

I'd also really like to learn how I can achieve a really polished look to my work.

Here's what my stuff's like at the moment (oldest to newest, top to bottom)

NSFW - Not Safe For Work (or any environments like that, eg school)

Miriaria, spread (NSFW)
Eskassa, a loose parody on Mutio (NSFW)
Some alien from a game Forte hassled me into drawing(NSFW)
A bored catgirl (NSFW)
Miriaria sketch
Miriaria, face altered

Thanks for your time, SA!

Liking Psyme is a forgivable sin.

I admit I'm not sure I'd have the courage to sleep with her though.

I noticed the quality seems to be good near the top, and them gets worse as you go down.

Yeah... I spend a lot of time with faces but I can't quite seem to nail out hands and feet or the lower torso properly.

Made a quick tutorial. Sorry if its not that good, it was a few-minute-long job.

Part 1. Before sketch opacity change.

Part 2. After opacity change.

Part 3. The lineart itself.

The last one looks ugly, because I used a sketch that was originally a very low resolution. Once you try it yourself with higher res pieces, you should see the difference much better.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…