• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.
Molli had already imbibed enough sake to have a minor outburst, so drinking more seemed like an excellent idea. The Nepleslian graciously took Sif's cup and downed it in a flash. "Yer good comp'ny," she said, cheeks flushing red, empty cup raised to toast the most competent right hand she'd ever had. "Gonna go far, bein' that polite!"

Tipsy as she was, Molli could still understand Aiko's explanation, at least. However, the Princess's aversion to indulgent baths was a little more perplexing. "Feels good t'get clean, though!" she said, eyebrow quirked up in confusion. As a child, Molli had been used to dirty water showers, so she always relished how clean Yamatai's waters ran. Maybe something like that was normal for a princess, even bland.

As the topic of cleanliness progressed, Molli listened attentively to Aiko's impassioned speech about the purity of her soul. A question burned in the young soldier's metal eyes, which glowed like stars. "Wouldn't yer skin 'n muscle 'n bone keep all that junk offa yer soul?" Molli asked, scratching her head. "And ah know blood 'n guts would stink after a while..."

Maybe her shower don't have hot water, and she's jus' tryin' t'save face?

"As for me? Do I bathe?" Having been an amused bystander during the conversation's turn, Hoshi was now an unwitting participant. "Do you ask because the idea is something that the imagination alone cannot fulfill? Not only will you get your answer later tonight, but if you stick with the starship Kaiyō long enough, you will get many such chances to see the splendor of one of my long soaks! Kaiko's ryokan in the winter is unmatched for just that occassion!"

Hoshi gave a wry little grin at Sif, knowing she had both not answered her question and answered it. She did hope the newest addition would be there for that. Even having just met her, Hoshi liked how seamlessly the lavender skinned Neko had slipped in to the group dynamic. The captain lifted the untouched small cup of sake and put it closer to Sif's hand to remind her to imbibe.

When William's finger splashed out over the table to point at Hoshi, the captain flapped her hand at him disimssively. "You only have four years on me. I can't pretend you are an ancient, really. Unlike you who can pretend so easily that Aiko smells like anything other than..."

Her face crinkled as she thought, dark blue eyes wondering to her raven-haired compatriot.

"Mmmm, Aiko smells like wisteria or fuji to me. I'm not just saying that because the Kaiyō II is a Fuji-class. She's got that cool smell that's a watery amalgamation of jasmine, orange blossoms, or sweet pea flowers. That is to say, she smells nice and your false claims won't gain any traction while I'm around."

The talk of enemy filth was a bit too much for her palate even as they were served their next course. It was a soup served within a sea snail. There was a little poker to the side of it meant to be poked into the shell to get the deep-seated meat. She tried her best to not crinkle her nose at the whelk as she looked down at it. She couldn't decide if it was closer to looking like a Mishhuvuthyar's chitin or s something a Kuvexian would eat. She batted her eyelashes as she closed her eyes, then looked away and back up to the crew.

"What are all of your favorite meals? We'll try to stock the ingredients before the next mission." Hoshi asked open-endedly to everyone. "Don't know if we'd be able to have meals quite like this, though, I will be honest!"

"N-no, that's not what I meant to imply," she stammered out at Hoshi's teasing. "I... well..." In her mind, she was trying to string together her words to explain that she didn't mean to imply anything at all, but at the same time she didn't want to leave it like she was just being passive and only speaking up in response. But the sentences that she came up with, she would recognize, would only dig a deeper hole in the sand, and it wasn't a hole she could hide in. She would just settle with saying, "I shouldn't have asked that, I suppose."

Sif could feel the heat rising to her face as it gained a tint of red and the feeling of wanting to retreat making her sink a bit in her seat. The captain moved Sif's cup closer to her, a sure invitation for her to drink. Well, now it was impossible not to partake in the drinking, though she was not looking forward to what situations a looser tongue would get her in. On the bright side, she wouldn't be as embarrassed in the moment. "Thank you, captain," she'd say as Sif picked up her cup of sake and drank it.

So far it seemed like she has gained Byrne's approval at least, and it would seem that the captain was fine with her as well, which gave her a feeling of relief. She also took great care to mentally note down how everyone acted around each other and couldn't help but notice that they all fit how the the novels portrayed a mixed unit. A little toned down, however.

When Hoshi asked about meals, Sif couldn't really pick due to the lack of real variety, so she would pick something a little more practical and easy to prepare. "Can't ever go wrong with spring rolls and fried rice."

When Hoshi asked about their favorite foods, Dmitri and William answered simultaneously: "Akemi's Burgers." They replied in unison, looking at each other and grinning. Dmitri continued, "They have the best food on base. The lines are usually lined up out the door to get food." He explained as William took another bite of his food.

"Yeah, we would have the FNGs go wait in line for hours to get everyone food. It was great." William added. "Not to mention, they have the best Yakitori in Nepleslian space." Dmitri shook his head. "Nah, the Poutine is way better." he countered. The two went in arguing, trying to decide what the next best dish at Akemi's was. But they both concluded nothing could beat their burgers with onion rings.

"I only tease," Hoshi said with a forward lunge of her tirelessly excitable face towards the newcomer Sif. "It is not so easy to play with words when on the battlefield, so I take this opportunity as one among few to have a little fun. Please, don't think I take any offense during our downtime, Sif-chan. Good on you for drinking as the rest of us are. Usually I like to enjoy meals of this caliber with a clear mind and palate, but their sake has such a sweet impression. Much like everyone here!"

Looking towards Dmitri and William, she sighed with a fauz exasperation. "We'll stop off at an Akemi's sometime for these two. In between saving this sector and saving Uesu's, we'll surely be able to find the time." She poked at the snail with the toothpick, then pulled out the slimy stewed innards to get a good look at the thing as she mulled on that thought.

"Command hasn't really let up with giving us the type of missions where any distraction can cost billions of lives. How do you guys feel about me securing a mission that's a little bit more laid back?" Hoshi said, attention on her crew's reactions as she continued. "Something with a little less pressure than retaking the gateway cloning planet of Uesureya or saving an entire alien species from a Mishhuvurthyar threat implanted in their world leader via parasite?" She had rattled off their most recent past missions that were public, but she also knew that the next mission they would be attempting would be clandestinely infiltrating and commandeering a wormhole held by the Mishhuvurthyar, which would be no small feat. Something simpler after that might be good for morale or bad and the captain had taken it on herself to gauge which.

Even with Hoshi saying not to worry about offending her, Sif just wouldn't be able to bring herself to not be nervous on the things she'd say. "Thank you for the reassurance, Taiyou-Taisa," she'd say with a nod. How could she not be nervous when the captain had just listed off their most recent exploits. She was a hatchling in the pond swimming with the big fish. They'd eat her up if she said something they didn't like, and its not like they'd have shared memories to help dissuade them from doing so unless for some convoluted reason and a massive stroke of luck she was the reincarnation of an old war veteran that served with them in her past life. No, she wasn't taking that chance. Not that she'd even know where to start with the conversation.

Sif found herself wishing Kamiyo was there. She was a natural when it came to talking with people, and they weren't around each other for long enough for that kind of confidence to rub off on her. Still, she couldn't deny that the captain was doing her best to make her feel welcome here but Sif couldn't help but feel like a fish out of water. It was something that would surely pass with time once she got to know the crew a little better, but for now she'd just have to try her best to not earn their ire.

That being said, her curiosity had grown. What type of missions did this crew usually run? It all sounded extremely important, and part of her wanted to inquire, but she knew that some people dislike talking about work when they are supposed to be relaxing, and the location was probably not the best setting for opsec. Maybe she'll ask about it once they return to the ship. For now, hopefully it was enough for her to simply be a more quiet company as she enjoys some sushi that may have been on her mind for a bit.

"You know, speaking of food, that has always made me wonder a bit. Why couldn't we have such fine food onboard the Kaiyō anyway? With all the might of the Star Army, surely her ships can come equipped with a good kitchen!" commented Isuke with a wry chuckle, tilting her head back to down her sake cup. "And I'm sure someone in the crew has to be a skilled cook!

"As for a favorite... that's a tough one. I've never been too picky about food, if it tastes good, I'll eat it. I suppose I have a soft spot for anpan though, a nice treat back when I was little."

The Lorrfolk had briefly looked into the Kaiyō's history, it still surprised her she managed to get a posting on a ship with such an illustrious record really.

"Best be careful on what you wish for, captain. I'm sure even if Command gave us a mission to go to a beach and have a swim, somehow it'd actually be something like taking down a Mishhu, or spying on some kind of NMX scheme. The missions that sound the most laid back and fun, are the most dangerous, right?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back