• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[Aside Post Episode 3] Tsuki Hitohoshi's Interview

Toshiro

JP: ON
YSS Sakura II Captain's Suite, Office

Hitohoshi arrives at Yaichiro's office. She steps inside, bows, and introduces herself. "Tsuki Hitohoshi, reporting in, sir."

Behind the desk was a male with blonde hair and sky-blue eyes, wearing the white panels of command staff on his uniform. Bearing the rank of Taisa, he was the commanding officer of this ship and the attached squadron. Those sky-blue eyes regarded the green-paneled Neko as she entered, and have a nod of recognition.

"Tsuki-Hei, you're right on time. Please, have a seat." A datapad was in his hand, the young man looking over her record, brief as it was.

Hitohoshi takes the seat on her right, placing her hands in her lap and awaiting the Taisa's next words.

"Alright. First off, I'll start by saying what I say to everyone who comes in for an interview. There aren't 'right or wrong' answers. I just want to see what you want for your career, your motivations, and to determine if you'll be a good fit. This interview is for our mutual benefit. So relax. I'm not as hung up as some officers are on some formalities formalities, so long as the underlying respect is still present. Of course, if that respect isn't present, I'll insist on such formality as a form of discipline."

Hitohoshi smiles a bit as she listens. "Understood."

"Now...I see you've gone the science route. What are your interests in that regard? I see you've got a knack for mathematics, and apparently have interest in...emotional trauma?"

"Ah... a little, yeah. I'd like to say it's more, just... understanding what motivates people, what makes them tick. Though I suppose the more atypical-- and therefore interesting-- cases would occur where there's some past trauma..."

"Hmm...so you have an interest in psychology, within the social sciences. Depending on your skill in analyzing such things, maybe I could have you work with our medical staff in narrowing down traumas. Some people like to remove traumatic memories from their ST backups, though that's completely voluntary. I could see your research being used to help treat such things by removing or reducing the impact of certain memories... Of course, that depends on if the person wants to yield such memories. If we die and have them placed in a new body, our memories are the only surviving aspect of ourselves in some thought systems. Anyway, as you've likely noticed...this vessel is different from other Plumeria-class ships in the fleet. She's a complete and total refit and redesign."

Yaichiro would begin to elaborate. "In addition to standard duties at the sensor station on the bridge, you'll be responsible for assisting me in narrowing down any unusual readings or flaws in the design of the ship. I'm the original designer of this refit, so we will have to coordinate heavily if such a thing comes up. Are you able to delve into the minutia of this new 2E variant of the ship?"

"Wow... I, uh, it's going to take some time to learn what's different where, and why... but I believe I should be capable of that, yes."

"An honest answer. I wouldn't expect you to know the details right away. This is the first ship of the type in the entirety of the Army. After eleven years and having a bunch of extra bits just strapped onto the hull over that time, a more comprehensive and streamlined refit of the class was necessary."

"Hmm... so, it's a complicated set of changes, then? But you tried to simplify it?"

Yaichiro crossed his arms in thought. "That was the initial intent...but for being one of the most effective ships in our arsenal, its internal layout was quite sub-optimal. I had to rearrange almost everything to optimize it. The ship also has new forms of STL and FTL propulsion, an improved main gun, turrets that can actually retract, and a heavily increased crew and vehicle compliment... It took me six months to finalize all the changes and conduct the refit. Most of the technological changes are updates reflecting the past decade of advancement."

Yaichiro handed her a datapad with the changes...which were quite numerous. "I see no reason not to integrate you into the crew and accept your transfer...provided you're willing to do the work and monitor this ship's performance. I need a pair of fresh eyes as she's evaluated. If it does well, it may lead to the other Plumeria being refitted."

"Ah... yes, sir! Thank you, sir! I'll do my best!" Hitohoshi gives the datapad a cursory look...

There was a lot to analyze. Almost every technological system had been moved, weapon systems added and improved upon, a rear-mounted sensor array had been added to supplement the forward sensor pod....there was support for delivering a Century of ground forces...but there were also other additions. Among them were far larger quarters, a common bathing area much like an onsen, and assorted volumetric rooms for holographic immersion. All of the beds even had the ability to conduct incremental ST backups, virtual reality simulations, telepresence, and multiplayer scenarios. It might be useful for letting her poke around in peoples' minds and memories, if they consented...

"...wow... this tech is... amazing... it's gonna take me weeks, maybe MONTHS to wrap my head around how all this works..."

"When I develop something, it's almost always built on something that already exists. This ship is an incremental step. Don't let the scale of the minutia make it seem more daunting than it has to be." He didn't want to make her feel too overwhelmed. Some of those listed changes were things as subtle as changes to ammunition type and hull paneling.

"...yeah, I'm sure when I start looking into the details, some of these will be much simpler than they sound."

"In any case, I hereby accept you into the crew. Welcome to the YSS Sakura II. I'll write up your orders. You'll want to select quarters on Deck 4, being bridge crew. Rooms D4-03 and D4-04 are vacant at the moment, though you can also bunk with a fellow member of the bridge crew or one of the ship's engineers if you prefer." A deck plan of Deck 4 came up on the datapad, showing that the cabins she could choose from were extremely close to the bridge.

"Mmnn... my own room, or share with someone already present...? Oh, what are your thoughts on... personalizing items?"

"Personalizing items? Well, items which are issued by the Army itself like furniture, uniforms, and bedsheets are not to be modified. However, the walls of the quarters themselves are volumetric. You can use them as massive screens, windows to show what you desire, or customize the color and markings in the room by that measure...provided anyone you bunk with does not mind. Items you personally pay for, however, are yours to do with as you see fit. Some storage space in the cabin exists for your own personal items." The young man then looked to her hands...perceiving the black gloves with gold markings. "Your gloves are not standard issue, I notice, though I have no problems with them on-ship as long as they do not interfere with your work. If you are leaving the ship in uniform, attending formal functions, or you are otherwise representing the Army to others...I will require that you wear standard gloves for such purposes unless you can get an exception from our superiors or they serve a specific purpose. Symbolism is important...and those markings could be misinterpreted by other races or groups. Unless the gloves have a medical or other specific function. You may also have to keep them off if we're visited by VIPs or admiralty."

"...understood. These gloves have conductive fibers, making them touchscreen compatible... and the symbol is one of my own design... but I'll keep your words in mind. I think... I would like to have a room to myself, for now. D4-04 will do."

"Alright. I'll mark you down in that room. I guess personal symbols are a nice touch, but I don't see them very often. Not even as often as personal colors." Yaichiro said, noting potential disappointment on her part. Still, that was the extent he could bend the rules, really. He wasn't sure if the Aeon was more lax or not. "Yeah... you can be sure I'll display it in my room, at least. I have no problems with that. If you get a roommate though, be sure to negotiate matters with them."

"Of course."

"Well, I think that's about everything then. Unless you have something else you wish to convey." Yaichiro commented, letting her have the opportunity for any final remarks.

"Hmmm... nothing else comes to mind."

"Alright, then. Welcome to the ship. Dismissed." Yaichiro allowed the girl to go on her way...

Hitohoshi gets up, gives a quick bow, and exits the room.

END

RPG-D RPGfix
Back