• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Avanet and the old Empire -- what were they?

Toshiro

Inactive Member
Can you tell me about AVANET and the old Empire?

I know there is an Empire preceding Yamatai and Nepleslia which we occasionally find ancient ships of, as well as an older sentient computer system (AVANET).

As we expand our borders, I keep wondering if we'd find elements of them, but my understanding is limited of what they are.

AvaNet would appear to be PANTHEON's precursor, but rather than a control system, a sentient god-like network. A super-PANTHEON, if you can believe that.

As for the old empire, I forget. There was an old thread about ancient history I started where the pre-YE calender system was also described (I'd like a refresher, though).

It pains me that people don't care about history more in this setting, really.

Part of the old history that I remember is this:

When I first joined, the history was that AvaNet was this sort of transcendental computer system/network that had been created, then at some time they completely remade the universe. I don't know if that means they broke it down and rebuilt it, or if they just refurnished it, but it was a very big event. After they reset the universe, they founded the Star Empire of Geshrentall and that's where the current year-naming system began ("YE" = "Year of the Empire").

PANTHEON is essentially a limited version of what AvaNet was. Its range is limited, and it is non-sentient where AvaNet had control over almost everything, though they scaled themselves back in the amount of interaction with the rest of the universe as time went on.

I thought it was canon that Avanet "ascended" to another plane of existence since it found mortal life to be petty little children.

And I remember a post that Wes used to try and detail the time before YSE, and it was the Black Star Empire (YES, ANOTHER EMPIRE), an empire ruled by monsterous beings of very little written detail that held the universe in a choke hold, until an alliance of conquered states allied together and destroyed them utterly. As in completely utterly, there is NOTHING of them left at all (save some of their technology which is the basis for all the other factions (minus one or two or five independent systems).

Do you mean the Black Fang Empire, the race of cruel overlords that enslaved humanity for a long period and caused them to lose their history and thus their home planet of origin? Which is why 'Earth' or whatever the origin of the Nepleslians pre-Rok Veru is so far gone forgotten that it is completely unknown. For NOW! Dun dun DUNNNN!

Yeah I think those Black Fang guys is who you mean Cora. Although you are hitting on a question that I have of late been wanting to ask. How did humanity throw off their oppressors, and like what were the Black Fang guys? Some kind of evil cats like the Kilrathi? No really, that's what the name reminds me of, the Kilrathi Empire from the Wing Commander series.

Not really. When I asked this question I was told that the majority of the history was lost during the wars and chaos. Which is why Nepleslians don't know where they are originally from despite the heavy Earth overtones to their culture.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back