Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Axis]Axis Mechworks Model 33 Precooled Jet Engine "Swallow"

Re: [Axis]Axis Mechworks Model 33 Precooled Jet Engine "Swal

Mach 10? My Achtung Assault Shuttle is meant to be extremely fast as a military design, and goes only Mach 8 -- which I had to fight for tooth and nail. Going by the precedent shouldn't your civilian engine be much slower? Mach 3 is roughly atmospheric exit speed, for the record.

I've done the research.

Pre-Cooled Jet Engines can reach Mach 5, at the least. Pulse Detonation Engines and Scramjets can get higher.

The Achtung HAS a scramjet, which is the fastest we currently have.

SSharp said:
The Achtung HAS a scramjet, which is the fastest we currently have.

Scramjets can reach around Mach 20. I see no reason for my submission to be forced down because you went for the extreme low speeds.

Doesn't mean what you attach that engine to can. Read this thread, I'm not going to rehash the argument I had with them as you're having with me now.

Reduce it to Mach 8 or less or I'm not going to approve it.

Edit:

Elaborating more: The argument I had with the thread I was just campaigning for Mach 10. The opposing side of that argument (some 3 people) pointed out that any craft going Mach 10 would break up because of all the stress on the craft, and if the stress didn't break it the friction resulting from the atmosphere would make it charcoal. I eventually won out at Mach 8, on the precedent that the craft DID have shielding and that it was designed to be extremely fast.

SSharp said:
Doesn't mean what you attach that engine to can. Read this thread, I'm not going to rehash the argument I had with them as you're having with me now.

Reduce it to Mach 8 or less or I'm not going to approve it.

Done.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back