• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Azorean Edits

Fay

After some additional research and discussions both in the IRC and on YIM, I've decided that some changes are necessary on the physical aspects of the Azoreans. Nothing to horribly different, but I've learned that without a visual, cartilage ear part, it is almost as hard to catch sound vibrations underwater as it is on the surface.

Another reason for this edit is because ICly, they are RPed as being able to hear just fine on land. That is an unfortunate blunder, mostly on my account. The actual wiki article section would be changed to as following:

Azoreans have two small fins with four spines to act as ears. These fins detects sound vibrations both underwater a lot better then in the air, but it still catches some of the vibrations to an extent. They might not be able to hear 'whispers' very well.. if at all, but they could still hear normal voices alright. The fins themselves have nerves that connect directly to the 'hearing' portion of the brain. This allows them to distinguish different sounds, voices from sounds, etc. More nerves are found in the front of the fins, and thus are easier to 'hear' things from the front then to the sides and definitely from behind. These fin-ears are also highly sensitive to the touch. They are easily damaged if tugged upon hard enough, but a light pull will only make the Azorean squeak in pain.

I've also added gills since someone brought up that their algae-hair might not be able to absorb oxygen fast enough to get into their system before they suffocate... So, here it is:

Two sets of three-slit gills are located along the outer skin of the rib cage. Each individual gill is in-between two individual rib bones. This will allow simpler access to the lungs, easier visual aides for when cleaning them occasionally, as well as better protection from harm, both underwater and on land. Their skin suits absorbs water, and will even let it in to pass through to the gills.

Thanks for reading! Any questions, comments, or concerns?

As the only Azorean PC so far I agree that these changes are definitely an improvement and entirely in line with the flavor of the race as a whole, as well.

*bumps slightly* (as it has been about 12 hours since someone last posted)

I've made quite a few changes to the fin-ear section due to IRC discussion. So... is it good?

Hm.. it's been three days. Does anyone have a problem with this? If not, then I hope that someone would approve this. :|

I'm fine with these edits; the seem mostly cosmetic. I have no issue with approving this, what say the techies?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back