Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

B-79 Blaster (Zen Armaments)

Millia

Inactive Member
https://stararmy.com/starchan/guns/src/1167388502357.jpg

As far as energy weapons go the B-79 blaster is a crude unforgiving beastly chunk of polymer-ceramic and metal with a very distinct appearance. The design resembles an exaggerated revolver with a break top design. It has a reputation for flawlessly simple mechanics, toughness, and stopping power.

The "cylinder" of the weapon is a removable capacitor and plasma charge chamber. Each cylinder contains ten titanium encased bolts filled with a plasma substance and catalyst around the central power capacitor that charges the weapon. The top of the weapon bas a raised "iron sight" and center guide. The B-79 has no mountings or circuitry for optics or "smart gun" systems.

When the trigger is pulled the firing block of the weapon initiates the first charge causing a breach in the casing of one round in the cylinder block. This releases the round's plasma material and catalyst into the barrel section of the weapon. At the same time the capacitor inside the cylinder is triggered to power the B-79's excelerator coils focusing the plasma bolt into a confined stream as it exits the barrel. After the weapon discharges the capacitor powers a small motor in the assembly that rotates the next round into place.

The result is a superheated bolt of plasma with an effective range of about 60 meters. After that range the plasma quickly dissipates and burns after another 10 meters. The most common load for the weapon is simple lead plasma though custom rounds have been made.

The weapon is deadly accurate to a trained individual. However due to it's intimidating appearance and brilliant discharges it is often seen as barbaric. The wounds it inflicts are often gruesome burns and impact trauma. While the B-79 is adept at piercing thick hides or armor bodily penetration is low but catastrophic to the target.

Type: Plasma
Class: Pistol
Model: B-79
Sub-model:
Dimensions: 175 x 100 x 55 mm
Weight: 860 g
Rate of fire: Semi-automatic
Range: 60 m
Caliber: 10x79mm Plasma cartriges
Capacity: 10 round cylinder.

Controls: Ambidextrous safety, Break top lever is located at the top of the firing block located at the back of the weapon.

Action: Double-action using an electric system and rotating cylinder.

Additions: Handgrip is removable to add a custom insert. Iridium night site permanently fixed in front sight.

There's some spelling errors that need to cleaned up.

I have a problem with the weapon, though. According the the description, the superheated plasma's in the rounds - but how is it stored like that? It makes no sense.

NOT APPROVED.

In physics and chemistry, a plasma is typically an ionized gas, and is usually considered to be a distinct state of matter in contrast to gases because of its unique properties. "Ionized" means that at least one electron has been dissociated from, or added to, a proportion of the atoms or molecules. The free electric charges make the plasma electrically conductive so that it responds strongly to electromagnetic fields.

The charges are simaler to the ones used in a railgun only much smaller. the ionized gass is stored within a titanium shell. The shells are just a meens of safely containing the plasma before fireing. It also alows different types of plasma to be used in the round. The mechanism works much like a revolver ten rounds are aranged in the cylinder around a capasitor, the capasitor can be recharged at any powersource and the rounds themself must be reloaded manualy or by removing the entire cylinder and placing in a fresh one.

Does this clarify it more?

I can't speak to that ... but your action descriptions are off, I think.

Single action: Hammer must be pulled back before the trigger is pulled (the trigger has only one action -- releasing the hammer).

Double action: Hammer is pulled back by a trigger pull (trigger completes two actions -- pulling the hammer back and then releasing the hammer).

Is there one you prefer? If you want double action, just change the bit about it in the statistical area of your submission. Also note this doesn't work quite like a revolver -- normally the hammer being cocked is what rotates the cylinder and brings a fresh round to battery.

Gah thanks doshi.

I thought single action ment like one pull of the trigger sets off the whole thing. noted and i'll change it. As for working like a revolver i read something about some "automatic" revolver it looked like it had the barell on the bottom side of the pistol. It had some kind of gas system that when you shot one round it recocked the pistol and the rest fired much easier.

This thing is just ment to have a revolving cylinder that operates after a round is fired eletricaly.

*nods* There are a couple revolvers that utilize slides like an autoloading pistol. But they're pretty rare. The mechanism you're talking about is essentially an autoloading action, so you're cool. Just remove the need for the revolver's trigger or hammer to bring a round to battery.

Still, how would the plasma stay in plasma form? And how is that plasma superheated? (and wouldn't it get colder as shot, like when you spray a can of compressed air?)

Yes it does get colder when it is shot that is what gives it such a short range. Because plasma can be effected by eletromagnetic energy after it leaves the barell it can only retain it's coheasion for 60 meters before disapating into the atmosphere or vacume of space.

Lead charges Consists of two components: a shell of titanium and a core of lead atoms suspended in a plasma state. Particle blasters pump the plasma into a cyclotron and process the plasma into a bolt that is then fired. In the case of the B-79 the compression chamber/ excelerator are housed in the barell of the weapon.

How do you keep the lead suspended as plasma? Wouldn't that take extreme heat?

Would it not make sense to have two substances and have the inside of the heating chamber a catylist so the round leaves the barrel in the fraction of a second, going from cold to extremely hot through an extremely rapid chemical reaction?

On the upside, the sheer speed of the chemical reaction could also create pressure differencials which also propell or accelerate the round from the barrel ontop of any existing mechanisms.

If I could explain something that ALL OF SCIENCE FICTION has failed to do in the history of mankind i woulden't be teaching any more i'd be rich. and right now i have no, daus ex machina method of how to explain that part of it. hell it could be some microconductor in the shelll itself.

OsakanOne said:
Would it not make sense to have two substances and have the inside of the heating chamber a catylist so the round leaves the barrel in the fraction of a second, going from cold to extremely hot through an extremely rapid chemical reaction?

Hmm that could work too i think i'll go with that method thanks Oaskan ^^

No prob. I think most systems work similarly but the thing you need to nail down is what the primary method of accelerating the plasma out of the barrel is and the scale.

The hotter it is, the more durable the cannon needs to be.

The description of the weapon has changed. It uses a catalyst to send the payload atoms into a plasma state before firing.

this solves the "how does the plasma get in the shell problem.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back