Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Battle Shield

Weight: 687 KG KG ???

Nomenclature: HBS-26-33 - Does not conform to standard nomenclature.

What battle suits is this for use with, and what are the dimensions of the shield.

Nashoba said:
Weight: 687 KG KG ???

Nomenclature: HBS-26-33 - Does not conform to standard nomenclature.

What battle suits is this for use with, and what are the dimensions of the shield.

According to the wiki, the nomenclature standard is just a guideline, not a rule. The TX-01 doesn't conform to the standard either, but that's because it stands for... Tarantula Experiment - 01, or the first prototype of the Tarantula.

Er, just sayin'.

Then Ira has two choices, a) use the existing Nomenclature, or b) Document it so that new players can understand the values, its what Nepleslia does.

The Standard Nomenclature is intended to be used by all races, just some choose to use others. Hence why I said, Ira should create a page with his own Nomenclature so that its documented.

I edited it the article. But how does a nomenclature system really help the forum? All it does is make it harder for new people to understand the tech system and further alienates the news from the vets.

I keep thinking about this, and what does the nomenclature system really contribute to RP?

I disagree with your statement Ira. The Nomenclature is actually one of the simpler things on the site. With it one can pretty quickly determine who makes a device and what the basic function of it is.

As for roleplay the Nomenclature actually can serve as a convenient shortcut,

Real world example: Rifle, Caliber 5.56 mm also known as the M16
Real variants
M16A1
M16A2
M16A3
M16A4

In posting it is easier to say "The soldier took aim with his M16A2, gently squeezed the trigger and shot the unsuspecting guard."

"The soldier took aim with his 5.56mm caliber rifle, gently squeezed the trigger and shot the unsuspecting guard."

In the first example, we recognize the weapon is an M16, and its the A2 version.

"The soldier took aim with his Ke-M4-W2901, gently squeezed the trigger and shot the unsuspecting guard."

From this we know its a KFY weapon, it was created for the Ke-M4, and that it was created in YE 29.

The nomenclature also makes it easier to find the product in the Wiki.

But the Nomenclature system is not the issue, the issue is you have implemented your own nomenclature on this item, and it is not defined anywhere.

To be honest, I have no interest or desire to conform to a nomenclature system of any kind. I mean I still disagree on the system being needed. I could see it being added as kind of a perk, but all it really is to me is more work, and another link that needs to be opened up when making technology.

I did the edit to conform to the Star Army standard system as best as I could. But I still find this to be nothing more then an annoyance.

Ira, I'd suggest you add Ue (Union Engineers) to the manufacturer list. That way people will know who they are. Also, the Nomenclature list is no problem to understand once you get it down, I didn't really understand it before hand until I started to create technology and began to ask questions. If something doesn't make sense, or if your confused, just ask ok? :)

That being said, the Nomenclature should come out like this:

UE-G3-W3301

The 01 means that it's the first of its kind, at least I didn't see any further mention of another battleshield on the wiki.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back