Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Beginning ranks?

Tyson_B

Inactive Member
Okay, maybe I missed it somewhere. But I didn't see it in the CCG as to what rank a new character starts at. And I'm pretty sure it'd be at the bottom of the ladder, barring some strange circumstances that'd require who knows what kinda authority to have approved. But...

Well, I want to get orders for my character, but from what I can tell, I need to know my character's rank. Where can I find that information normally, possibly outside the CCG (where I would've assumed it would be, considering that's how we actually make the new characters that need that info)?

new accounts dont get ranks yet till they have posted about 3 times? then they get promoted to the lowest rank. I got confused about this too, I thought they were all issued by the GMs but oh well.

Fian said:
new accounts dont get ranks yet till they have posted about 3 times? then they get promoted to the lowest rank. I got confused about this too, I thought they were all issued by the GMs but oh well.
That's because before any character can be used, their player should post their contact info and an introduction.

The board rank gives you an indication of the maximum rank you can give a character on creation, but it is not indicative of when your character should be promoted in-character, though.

For example, my Kotori character is a Taii (a lieutenant) in the Star Army. My board rank, right now, allows me to make a Chujo-ranked character if I'd like (though figuring out what to do with such a high ranked character is another thing)... but it's not because I can make an admiral that Kotori would rise in rank any faster.

Your best bet, since you are new to the site, is to start with the lowest rank: Santô Hei. No one expects much from these low ranks except to make a reasonable effort to follow orders and perform well. They are expected to screw up. It's going to be somewhat tolerated: a beginner soldier can make beginner's mistakes. Superior officers might lecture you when you stumble, but the point is - at that rank - you can afford doing mistakes.

And believe me, you are going to make mistakes. Once you'll get the hang of the setting and of your environment/character, things will undoubtedly be smoother. Competent enlisted characters rise in ranks quickly enough anyhow ^_^;

When you start getting a higher rank, people have higher expectations of you. You're expected to be experienced and dependable. If you are found to be lacking, a lecture might be the least of your worries. Better to start out slowly and get the hang of it before you're expected to perform.

Ah, thanks to all of your help in figuring that out. Still, I only posted a total of two times before I asked the question... hehe, well, I'm just glad that I got an answer so quickly! Thanks again.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back