• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Abandoned Submission [Bladeworks] Pile driver update

IQ

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
So, just from the standpoint of an IRL mechanic with knowledge of engineering- This thing is too complicated, and has too many moving parts to break. Also, does it need to be Aether powered? Seems excessive when a set of high-capacity capacitors or similar would work.

Try to simplify it, perhaps a Solenoid and a set of reduction gears to increase the velocity and simplify the power system as well?

Also, what scale is this? Personnel? Power Armor? Mecha?

all that aside, I really like pile drivers and a pile driver polearm sounds like a lot of fun.

Reactions: IQ
Hmm. I was thinking on this recently, actually. But didn't change since I had no ruling yet. It has a lot of moving parts since it's an early draft-

But mayhaps some sort of blast mechanism? Though I'm not sure what substance would cause the blast that makes the tip into a proper pile driver.

A pile driver just needs sufficient acceleration to damage whatever it is hitting. A blast is very good, and often quite simple, but it comes at the expense of needing some kind of ammunition, IE, a gunpowder charge or compressed air, as are most commonly used today. However, with the setting's prevalence of high-efficiency Gauss coils and other electromagnetic propulsion methods, a simple Gauss Solenoid (Literally a goil gun with a captive projectile) you can have the same effect with effectively limitless ammunition, either using some form of capacitor or by attaching the polearm to a generator of some kind.

This review is for: Origin Upgrade
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:origin_pile_driver_energy_shield_upgrade

The submitted article is/has…
[NO] A very high level of overall quality
[NO] A general topic sentence under the title header

[NO] Artwork (Required for new species; Strongly recommended for vehicles and hand weapons) - does not need
[/] Needed and/or useful to the setting unsure
[NO] In the proper format/template
[NO] Proofread for spelling and grammar

[X] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[NO] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[X] No red and/or broken links
[X] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[X] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[X] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[X] Obtusely redundant
[X] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[YES] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[X] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[X] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[X] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[X] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[X] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[X] Lacking Detail
[X] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[X] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[NOT PRESENT] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[NOT PRESENT] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[NOT PRESENT] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary

- No prose in the section
- It's error(s): see https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=guide:its
- Spellcheck needed
- Bullet point contains way too much text - I recommend using a header === Pile Drive Upgrade === instead of Pile Driver upgrade:

Notes
Aether weapons are restricted under Yamataian law

I intend to finish this review by: June 7, 2018

Thanks! I'll probably do it with a gauss solenoid and have induction ram the actual pike forward. With one seperate chargable cartridge that holds enough for 400-ish charges, before needing to be hooked up to some kind of powersource. I was planning on using it for PA's due to the mechanism, so maybe even directly tapping into their powersource could work?

Also, @Wes the bullet point is to conform it to the Origin blade works list. If it still needs changing, no issue. It is also not a weapon in and off itself, but an upgrade for Origin Blade Works given weaponry. Much like their energy field projection upgrade. This is why it doesn't follow a traditional template nor has it dedicated art.

Aside from these uncertainties, I will see to the changes and tag both you and @Kai when done.

Last edited:
@Ametheliana

The upgrade was moved here-

Though I don't think @Wes saw my previous retort, that this in fact, is not a weapon but an upgrade.

Make my requested changes that are basically streamlining grammar and wait for Wes' reply.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…